[Game] Wasteland [0.5 beta]

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

[Game] Wasteland [0.5 beta]

by BlockMen » Post

A long time ago there where trees, grass and the ocean. But that is all gone, everything that is left is a WASTELAND and

YOU

Spoiler
How to play:
Your only chance to survive are the ruined houses you can find in the world. There you can find usefull stuff to survive: Food, water, seeds and even saplings. But you wont find that in every ruin. Some contain just food and just rarely you can find water or sapling.
Seeds can rarely be dropped when digging dry shrubs, wood can be get from the dead trees or from ruins.

Keep in mind, you must eat or you will starve. And hunger comes faster than you think.

Notice:
Only for Minetest 0.4.13 or later

Download:
Version 0.5 pre-release: Download (for Minetest 0.4.13 or later)

Version 0.2.1: Download (for Minetest 0.4.8)
Code: on Github

License:
GPL 3.0

Planed Features:
- Toxic water
- Maybe more monsters?

Notice: This game is not finished yet. There may be issues, if so plz report them.
Last edited by BlockMen on Sat Aug 09, 2014 06:59, edited 4 times in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

BlockMen wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/iu1 ... header.png

A long time ago there where trees, grass and the ocean. But that is all gone, everything that is left is a WASTELAND and

YOU

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2nl ... 139464.png

How to play:
Your only chance to survive are the ruined houses you can find in the world. There you can find usefull stuff to survive: Food, water, seeds and even saplings. But you wont find that in every ruin. Some contain just food and just rarely you can find water or sapling.
Seeds can rarely be dropped when digging dry shrubs, wood can be get from the dead trees or from ruins.

Keep in mind, you must eat or you will starve. And hunger comes faster than you think.

License:
See README.txt in each mod directory

Planed Features:
- Monsters

Notice: This is a first release, the game is not finished yet. There may be issues, if so plz report them.
Awesome! Also, is this based off of a minecraft mod by the same name? :D
Back from the dead!

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Evergreen wrote: Awesome! Also, is this based off of a minecraft mod by the same name? :D
Let's say there are similarities ;)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Very nice.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Cool can't wait to try this
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I believe this mod predicts the future, so people might as well practice surviving.

Josh

by Josh » Post

BlockMen wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/iu1 ... header.png

YOU

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2nl ... 139464.png

How to play:

Download:
Version 0.1: Download

License:
See README.txt in each mod directory

Planed Features:
- Monsters

Notice: This is a first release, the game is not finished yet. There may be issues, if so plz report them.
This looks cool. I shall give it a go.

EDIT: When loading a world in the Wasteland gamemode, i get this error:
12:57:40: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...etest/0.4.7/bin/../games/wasteland/mods/hud/init.lua:48: attempt to call method 'hud_set_hotbar_image' (a nil value)

I noticed this problem a few times when using Blockmen's better HUD mod.
Last edited by Josh on Fri Sep 20, 2013 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Josh wrote: This looks cool. I shall give it a go.

EDIT: When loading a world in the Wasteland gamemode, i get this error:
12:57:40: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...etest/0.4.7/bin/../games/wasteland/mods/hud/init.lua:48: attempt to call method 'hud_set_hotbar_image' (a nil value)

I noticed this problem a few times when using Blockmen's better HUD mod.
That means that your Minetest is atleast 17 days not updated or you are using 0.4.7 stable. If so you can use version 0.9 of better hud :P

But this game requires lasted git. Forgot to mention ;)

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

WOw, this sounds awesome!

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

His creativity amazes me!
My small square universe under construction ... Minemacro
Comunidade Minetest Brasil
www.minetestbrasil.com

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Would it be possible to add a radiation bar that is healed by eating certain objects and a special hazmat suit to protect against it?
Just some thoughts getting ideas out there
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Chinchow wrote:Would it be possible to add a radiation bar that is healed by eating certain objects and a special hazmat suit to protect against it?
Yeah, it would be possible. Im still not sure whether this game should contain toxins, etc or not. Currently this game is based on the idea that the water is gone, except some special sources that the player can use to survive and build up the world.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, i may add toxins or make another game for it.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

BlockMen wrote:
Chinchow wrote:Would it be possible to add a radiation bar that is healed by eating certain objects and a special hazmat suit to protect against it?
Yeah, it would be possible. Im still not sure whether this game should contain toxins, etc or not. Currently this game is based on the idea that the water is gone, except some special sources that the player can use to survive and build up the world.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, i may add toxins or make another game for it.
You might want to add grass regrowing when water is next to dirt, soon grass will slowly cover the earth again, not to mention flowers might pop up in unexpected places...

JustinASF

by JustinASF » Post

You got this from minecraft's wasteland

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

JustinASF wrote:You got this from minecraft's wasteland
Umm...
BlockMen wrote:
Evergreen wrote: Awesome! Also, is this based off of a minecraft mod by the same name? :D
Let's say there are similarities ;)

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Just played a little last night. I found 2 ruins and got 2 buckets of water. Using those buckets of water, I created an infinite water source. You might want to change that particular aspect of the game or water soon wont be a rare item. A bit of fun otherwise. :)

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

So much is possible now, with what you have made. This actually brings some sort of Survival to Minetest.
Suggestion: Add options for customization, in a configuration file alongside init.lua - example, replacing Oceans with Radwaste Contaminated Water, and replacing the dirt-with-grass with Fallout-covered-soil - Or replacing oceans with Ice and the first few nodes of the surface land with Snow. That would be awesome.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This would go well with the experimental mapgen mod.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

LionsDen wrote:Just played a little last night. I found 2 ruins and got 2 buckets of water. Using those buckets of water, I created an infinite water source. You might want to change that particular aspect of the game or water soon wont be a rare item. A bit of fun otherwise. :)
When testing i had the problem that it was too rare^^. I have changed the chance of bucket with water and added empty buckets. Should be more balanced now.
SegFault22 wrote:So much is possible now, with what you have made. This actually brings some sort of Survival to Minetest.
Suggestion: Add options for customization, in a configuration file alongside init.lua - example, replacing Oceans with Radwaste Contaminated Water, and replacing the dirt-with-grass with Fallout-covered-soil - Or replacing oceans with Ice and the first few nodes of the surface land with Snow. That would be awesome.
Nice ideas, but dont expect the possibility of costomizations too soon. Maybe it would be better to fork this and make "new" games then ;)
Inocudom wrote:This would go well with the experimental mapgen mod.
This game isnt ment to have much biomes and is slowed down enough by changing different things. But the mapgen mod is great, yes.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Update! Version 0.2 released

Changelog:
- added mineral sand in lower parts of dryed out oceans. With minerals wheat, grass and saplings growing faster
- higher mountains have snow caps now
- if you die there is a grave (with you stuff) spawned (modified bones) and very (!!) rarely spawned graves in landscape

Spoiler

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You put bucket:bucket in chests, the problem is that this item does not exist.

The minerals are overpowered. I wouldn’t have expected that using it results in instant growth. xD

I am looking forward to when monsters are in.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Wuzzy wrote:You put bucket:bucket in chests, the problem is that this item does not exist.

The minerals are overpowered. I wouldn’t have expected that using it results in instant growth. xD

I am looking forward to when monsters are in.
Oh, will be fixed. And actually the growth minerals do is random. So you can need one mineral or up to 5 or something. Maybe it needs be tweaked a bit...

Annahstas

by Annahstas » Post

Dumb person question- I downloaded it and extracted. How do I get it to play? Also you can play with other people right?
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
“I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh My Texture Packs'

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Annahstas wrote:Dumb person question- I downloaded it and extracted. How do I get it to play? Also you can play with other people right?
Add the "wasteland" folder to ~/games/ in your minetest folder.

And yes, you can play this with other ppl (like every other game here) if someone hosts it.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Is this still being worked on? I would love to see this develop into something great.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate