github link: https://github.com/ElectricSolstice/voltbuild/
All crafts listed in a text file.
Voltbuild Documentation
Dependencies: default, mesecons

wishlist (may or may not be implemented):
better energy transport to allow for sending energy to unloaded chunks
more components
more nuclear reactor parts

Also, anyone that would like to make documentation for this, pm me or comment on here because any documentation would be appreciated. The crafts are already taken care of by the code, but tutorials are definitely an area that could use a few touches. If the crafts.txt file is lacking, feel free to make suggestions or even making your own changes to the code that generates the documentation.

Since the original itest is no longer being worked on, this is a fork to continue on that mod. However, unlike itest, this mod could very well be more about being it's own mod rather than a clone of IndustrialCraft. Any ideas and/or bug fixes for the mod are appreciated. Development on this mod will more than likely be really slow though.

[UPDATE 9/7/2013]
More textures added and a couple of fixes.

New rubber tree leaves texture

New rubber sappling texture

New ov scanner texture
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Nov 17, 2013 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

DigAmy

by DigAmy » Post

Before i download that: there is a mining laser?
DigAmy can do his work: request mod XD

ElectricSolstice

by ElectricSolstice » Post

DigAmy wrote:Before i download that: there is a mining laser?
Taking a quick look at the code, looks like there is something about a mining drill and diamond drill, but neither have an image nor can break through rock. Also, there's nothing about lasers in the code from what I can see, but maybe those drills would've been closer to what you were wanting if it could actually work at mining.

The short answer is no.

-Edit-
Actually can break through rock, but needs a charge first. I judged it too quickly in the short time since i just tried giving myself the charged item to test it, which makes it a one time use item. Mainly, a lot of the things in this mod look like they just need images.
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Wed Sep 04, 2013 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Have you ever heard of minetest technic before?
Back from the dead!

DigAmy

by DigAmy » Post

Evergreen wrote:
I try technic mod 1 month ago but doesn't work... ah, thank you for the answer :)
DigAmy can do his work: request mod XD

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

DigAmy wrote:
Evergreen wrote:
I try technic mod 1 month ago but doesn't work... ah, thank you for the answer :)
try it again. I know the technical works in vanessae's server and game pack
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
DigAmy wrote:
Evergreen wrote:Have you ever heard of minetest technic before?
It isn't technical, it is Technic.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
DigAmy wrote: I try technic mod 1 month ago but doesn't work... ah, thank you for the answer :)
It isn't technical, it is Technic.
Sorry auto correct changed technic to technical.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I didn't have any problem running technic when I was running it as long as I had all of the dependencies. The only real problem I had was that between mesecons, pipeworks and technic my system was slowed so much that just digging/mining for a minute or two would cause my framerates to drop to between 2 and 6 fps and if I continued without pausing or noticing it would crash the game. I finally stopped playing with it because of this issue and it had only gotten worse as they added more stuff.

ElectricSolstice

LionsDen wrote:I didn't have any problem running technic when I was running it as long as I had all of the dependencies. The only real problem I had was that between mesecons, pipeworks and technic my system was slowed so much that just digging/mining for a minute or two would cause my framerates to drop to between 2 and 6 fps and if I continued without pausing or noticing it would crash the game. I finally stopped playing with it because of this issue and it had only gotten worse as they added more stuff.
Part of why I'd want itest more developed on. I probably won't be able to make it as featureful as technic but I can keep it as having way less dependencies.

ElectricSolstice

Now three components added along with a new formspec for the machines. The components go into the 4 slots all the way to the left. The two of most interest would probably be the fan and overclock components. The overclock component speeds up some machines, allowing to produce more energy or cooking ingredients faster, but produces stress in the machine that can destroy it. The fan helps to keep the machine's stress under control so it doesn't get destroyed from the stress. Gameplay balance changes are probably needed now though as how fast things generate energy might be slowed down a bit.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Do you know about the lulzpack mod? It would go great with this.

ElectricSolstice

lulzpack? Am i being trolled or is that really a modpack? So no, I don't know of it. I'll check it out to see what it's about.
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Sep 22, 2013 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

ElectricSolstice wrote:lulzpack? Am i being trolled or is that really a modpack? So no, I don't know of it. I'll check it out to see what it's about.
It really is a modpack. Follow the link below:
viewtopic.php?id=3907
Test it and tell us what you think of it.

ElectricSolstice

Hospital machine and a medpack item added. Gameplay balancing will be done later after more has been added. As a warning ahead of time, gameplay balancing may include changing the electricity usage and speed of machines, crafting recipes, and other changes whenever it does occur.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Is there information on how to use this? I created a couple of watermills, tin cables and copper with rubber coated cables and tried hooking them up. I created a battery box and an electric furnace and I can't seem to get anything to work. Every side of the watermills have water around them except the top but I am getting nothing from them. I even put a battery in one and it popped up the charge indicator on it but it doesn't charge. I have no clue what I am doing wrong but something is going on. I even tried to make one that only had flowing water around it and while not every corner was covered, the top and each side was covered with flowing water and nothing happened to the battery inside the watermill.

ElectricSolstice

LionsDen wrote:Is there information on how to use this? I created a couple of watermills, tin cables and copper with rubber coated cables and tried hooking them up. I created a battery box and an electric furnace and I can't seem to get anything to work. Every side of the watermills have water around them except the top but I am getting nothing from them. I even put a battery in one and it popped up the charge indicator on it but it doesn't charge. I have no clue what I am doing wrong but something is going on. I even tried to make one that only had flowing water around it and while not every corner was covered, the top and each side was covered with flowing water and nothing happened to the battery inside the watermill.
Thank you for pointing this out. I think you're actually doing it right. The problem is I've made a lot of changes to the code, including removing some loops that have probably made the machines slower. Not only that, but now looking at the watermill itself, looks like the energy function in there very rarely is producing energy so I'll fix that and I'll try making some quick changes to all the generators to improve gameplay speed, so I'll post here again when the update is in so you can just copy over the mod again. Keep in mind, these changes should help but are a quick fix, gameplay balancing is something I plan to do later once more features are added. Then, documentation will probably be after the gameplay balanicing. However, the watermill really does need some help so i'll quickly turn up the energy production generators. Sorry about the inconvenice that has caused. Wait for my next post to know when to update.

ElectricSolstice

Okay, try the quick number increases I added now. Should speed things up so that it's more reasonable now. Oh, a quick tip, I know for me when I first saw one of the machines disappear that I thought it was a bug but turns out that's what happens when you load it up with too much electricity.

Medpack craft for now, up for change later during gameplay balancing:
"glass" "apple" "glass"
"apple" "apple" "apple"
"glass" "apple" "glass"
The apples form the red cross of the med pack.

The hospital craft, same possiblity of changing later:
"medpack" "medpack" "medpack"
"medpack" "machine" "medpack"
"extractor" "circuit" "compressor"

A lot of the others should be the same if you've used itest before (which it's items are heavily based on industrial craft, so you could use their wiki for those items lol) Right now, the efforts are going into changing the mod. It's no longer as strict about following the path of Industrial Craft because now it's my fork. As such, anyone feel free to make suggestions or let me know that things just are not working right.

ElectricSolstice

All crafts subject to change later!

overclock component, used to speed up machines
hv_cable0 = high voltage cable without any insulation
craft = "bronze_ingot" "hv_cable0" "bronze_ingot"
"" "circuit" "energy_crystal"

fan component, used to cool down machines that are stressed out by things, such as maybe the overclock component
R = "refined_iron_ingot"
W = windmilll
B = batbox
craft = R R R
W B
R R R

halt component, used to almost freeze a machine in a particular state, stops both production and thus also overheating. Probably more likely to be used as a crafting component later but have fun with it anyways.

craft = "gold_ingot" "splitter_cable" "gold_ingot"
"" "circuit" "re_battery"

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Okay, the battery is now charging in the watermill. I just tested that part quickly, if I see anything that doesn't seem to be working, I'll let you know. Thanks for the quick response. :)

ElectricSolstice

A nuclear reactor has been added that uses an inventory to create its design. Currently, the parts are very basic for it to deal with its main concerns: radiation, heat, and energy. If the reactor gets to stressed out from the heat, it'll blow up, making a HUGE spherical hole where it used to be as well as killing anything within the sphere blast range. If radiation gets out of hand, then it'll continue to function but will continually hurt living things within a certain range. This means you need to be really careful about having all the parts needed for its design. Also, almost every device in the mod so far can only handle low energy sized packets, so you'll need to ramp down the electricity from the reactor with a hv transformer, mv transformer, and lv transformer, using the power plants from mesecons next to the transformers to make them ramp down the electricity. Keep in mind, any electricity generated by reactor chambers have to have reactor wiring (either shielded or regular) to move their electricity down to the bottom middle because that is where it leaves the inside of the nuclear reactor to power up other devices.

Craft recipes (subject to change later):

A = advanced alloy
W = windmill
C = advanced circuit
L = lapotron crystal
M = advanced machine
nuclear reactor = A W A
L M L
A C A

A = advanced alloy
C = coal dust (made by putting coal lumps in a macerator)
radioactive shielding = A C A

A = advanced alloy
R = refined iron ingot (made by cooking steel ingots)
casing = R A R

H = hv cable3 (3 is the amount of insulation added)
reactor wiring = H

L = Lapotron crystal
G = generator
nuclear reaction chamber = L G L

R = radioactive shielding
W = reactor wiring
"" = nothing, leave it empty
shielded reactor wiring = "" R ""
R W R
"" R ""
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricSolstice

This mod had been changed to work better with the moreores mod. If the moreores mod is used, both its tin and tin mapgen will be used instead of voltbuild's. Also, if you decide to remove the moreores mod, then all moreores tin will be switched to voltbuild's tin. Anything only in moreores though will of course be unknown if you remove the moreores mod.

With both the nuclear reactor and components api added, gameplay balancing will be the next focus. For anyone who uses this mod, now will be a good time to post if a machine is too slow or too fast, too hard to build or too easy, and so forth. Currently, I have an idea to change recipes to make a progression of difficulty based on how deep you'd have to dig and how much. The plan is currently something along the lines of breaking it into a coal era and a nuclear era difficulty. The coal era would be the easiest and would require digging only deep enough for coal, tin, and maybe copper to allow people to jump into using the mod to build their first electric base to get a feel for it. Then, the nuclear era would be the next difficulty, requiring digging deep enough for mese, uranium, and some diamonds. As part of this change, I'm considering changing either the generator or battery recipe so mesecon wire wouldn't be needed for a basic coal generated base. The direction of the gameplay balancing and difficulty progression hasn't been decided yet however.

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Post

Great work up to now, even though i had some problems with a slightly older version of yours getting to work. Maybe im a bit too used to technic for that. Anyway i like that this mod nearly has no dependencies and just include them as optional. But i didn't get to test something and would like to know how it behaves, if a chunk gets unloaded. Is the energy production stopped then like in technic? If yes i have a suggestion: Try to find a way to make energy production possible even with not loaded chunks. One way could be, to push all energy producers from a network into a stack and how long they are capable of producing energy as well as the amount. If you now unload the chunk, the connected machines of that network could access this stack to check if there is power and when the time of production ends in order to update the stack. This way you could provide a nice feature and i think its more possible here then in the technic mod because its not grown that big up to now.

But good work up to now :3
Interesting about new things is, to figure out how it works ...

ElectricSolstice

fairiestoy wrote:Great work up to now, even though i had some problems with a slightly older version of yours getting to work. Maybe im a bit too used to technic for that. Anyway i like that this mod nearly has no dependencies and just include them as optional. But i didn't get to test something and would like to know how it behaves, if a chunk gets unloaded. Is the energy production stopped then like in technic? If yes i have a suggestion: Try to find a way to make energy production possible even with not loaded chunks. One way could be, to push all energy producers from a network into a stack and how long they are capable of producing energy as well as the amount. If you now unload the chunk, the connected machines of that network could access this stack to check if there is power and when the time of production ends in order to update the stack. This way you could provide a nice feature and i think its more possible here then in the technic mod because its not grown that big up to now.

But good work up to now :3
Thanks ^_^

I haven't tried it either, but I think it does not produce when the producer's chunk isn't loaded. The real advantage over technic is that it's simpler to get your electric base started up because no switching station is required.

It's probably possible to make energy production do that but it would require more than just a stack. This is because if you walked away from a chunk to cause it to unload and then saved the game, upon returning the unloaded producers would no longer be sending energy because that data would've been only in temporary memory (RAM). As such, I think it's not really a matter of network table vs stack but more about using a data file to keep track of such things. If I understand how technic works, I think the switching station is where all of the energy handling is done, so maybe you could ask them if they could turn their network tables into persistent tables and maybe have loaded switching stations connect to and use the network tables of connected but unloaded switching stations. The challenge would probably be figuring out if a loaded and unloaded switch is connected. Show them http://lua-users.org/wiki/PersistentTables if they need to know what a persistant table is. Basically, it's a table that gets saved to a file.

This mod doesn't even save a network. It just saves the energy to the nodes itself and when it wants to send energy, it just recursively sends the energy to nearby nodes and keeps track of which nodes the energy packet has already visited. This means I'd probably have to either rewrite the energy transport code or keep track of positions, energy, and other stuff in a data file. It should be possible, so I'll keep it in mind for a later feature.

Right now, the current plan of development on this mod is:
1) Gameplay Balancing (Changing crafts, energy production, or anything that affects difficulty and/or hinders usability)
2) Documentation, especially for any changed crafts
3) maybe scuba gear after that because under water exploration would be cool.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

ElectricSolstice wrote: 3) maybe scuba gear after that because under water exploration would be cool.
There's a scuba mod:

viewtopic.php?id=7175

Download (latest) scuba mod:

viewtopic.php?id=7227