This isn't actually a bug or problem but there's nowhere else, EXPLAIN

CrunchyCandyBar

This isn't actually a bug or problem but there's nowhere else, EXPLAIN

by CrunchyCandyBar » Post

Unless I missed something, I can't find someone else to put my question (Please tell me if my brain missed something, it doesn't always work on myself to just look)

Someone explain to me how I add mods to my game? I know it's not really something that belongs specifically here, and I probably missed something GLARINGLY OBVIOUS somewhere else to ask this, but, I cannot figure this out at all. How do you take the mods you downloaded, and make them be in your minecraft game? I'm confused now.

(please reread those two beginning sentences for extreme clarification that I KNOW I should probably put this somewhere else)

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

For a run-in-place build, there should be a folder named "mods" right in the top of the folder that was extracted. If there isn't, create it; mods go in there. After installing the mods, enable them by clicking "configure" after creating a world.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

See also: Installing Mods

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Minetest mods wont work in Minecraft, so if that isnt a typo in your post then you are probably in the wrong forum.

CrunchyCandyBar

PilzAdam wrote:Minetest mods wont work in Minecraft, so if that isnt a typo in your post then you are probably in the wrong forum.
It's an extreme typo.

I still can't quite figure this out,
Menche wrote:For a run-in-place build, there should be a folder named "mods" right in the top of the folder that was extracted. If there isn't, create it; mods go in there. After installing the mods, enable them by clicking "configure" after creating a world
If you can repeat that again, slower, more detailed, and less like a rushed instruction for eyeball surgery, maybe I'll finally manage to figure this out.

Let me see... you said folder named "mods", I noticed that, extracted folder? can't figure out that, installing the mods and enabling them? It's in my brain somewhere to know what you mean, juust... Yeah. I( have no idea what any of this is.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I miss the days when you put the mod in the folder and then played. Anyways for run in place installation

Code: Select all

1-place unzipped mod in minetest/mods
2- run minetest and make a world
3- then select that world and click the configure button in the bottom right
4- click a mod either on the check box or enable modpack
5-play game
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

CrunchyCandyBar

jojoa1997 wrote:I miss the days when you put the mod in the folder and then played. Anyways for run in place installation

5-play game
1- how?
2-5- I can do that.

Remaining question is, basically, how do the mods go into the mods folder area thingy in my computer?

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

CrunchyCandyBar wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:I miss the days when you put the mod in the folder and then played. Anyways for run in place installation

5-play game
1- how?
2-5- I can do that.

Remaining question is, basically, how do the mods go into the mods folder area thingy in my computer?
Right click and press extract, then copy and paste into the mods folder.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

You need to read about basic zip file functionality. There are probably thousands of sites that tell you more than you want to know about zip files. Just google something along the lines of using zip files or unzipping files and such and you will likely find many, many sites. If you don't have a program to handle zip files then you will need one. If you are using windows, I suggest the program 7-zip as it is free and works great for me even allowing me to access .rar and .gz and many other compressed file formats.

CrunchyCandyBar

Dan Duncombe wrote:
CrunchyCandyBar wrote:

5-play game
1- how?
2-5- I can do that.

Right click and press extract, then copy and paste into the mods folder.
I've figured this out, jsut one remaining question...

uh, copy and paste what part of extracted mod into mods folder?

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

The folder which contains a file called init.lua, which usually has textures or sounds as well.

CrunchyCandyBar

It won't let me do that.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

After choosing extract|extract to|unzip with rightclick you can browse through your folders|maps to find the minetest/mods folder. Select this folder. Just leftclick on the button that says something like extract or unzip (or maybe start). As far as I know and there's no need to copy/paste

Edit: the minetest/mods folder is the one that contains a text file called mods_here.txt
(and typo's)
Last edited by Topywo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

CrunchyCandyBar

Topywo wrote:Afaik after choosing extract|unzip with rightclick you can browse through your folders|maps to find the minetest/mods folder. Select this and there's no need to copy/paste.
Er... let's see.

Step 1: Extract (Check)

Step Two: Find Minetest Mods folder (Check)

Okay, so are you saying "do that", are you saying "do that and magically you'll know what to do next", are you saying "do that and the mods should be there", or are you saying "do that and I'll tell you what happens next"?

Because I don't get it, there's not really a finishing explanation to that thing. I'm sooper confused..

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I reread and edited my post. Is it still confusing?

Step 1 is indeed rightclicking. I don't know all unzip programs that exist, but most give one or more extracting possibilities. Choose one (leftclick), but preferably not "extract here".

Step 2 When magically something pops up that looks like a map or folder structure, you can search (browse) the folder named: minetest/mods and select that one. Doubleclicking (left mouse button) on the minetest/mods folder most of the times starts the extracting proces.

Edit: And a bit more precise
Last edited by Topywo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

CrunchyCandyBar

Topywo wrote:After choosing extract|extract to|unzip with rightclick you can browse through your folders|maps to find the minetest/mods folder. Select this folder. Just leftclick on the button that says something like extract or unzip (or maybe start). As far as I know and there's no need to copy/paste

Edit: the minetest/mods folder is the one that contains a text file called mods_here.txt
(and typo's)
Am I missing something?

Yes, I am...

Okay, So!

"the button that says something like extract or unzip (or maybe start). As far as I know and there's no need to copy/paste"

Am I blind? Is there something invisible? Am I speaking the wrong language? Are the wrong golden pigs flying at the wrong midnight? HALP!
Topywo wrote:I reread and edited my post. Is it still confusing?
Step 1 is indeed rightclicking. I don't know all unzip programs that exist, but most give one or more extracting possibilities. Choose one (leftclick), but preferably not "extract here".
Step 2 When magically something pops up that looks like a map or folder structure, you can search (browse) the folder named: minetest/mods and select that one. Doubleclicking (left mouse button) on the minetest/mods folder most of the times starts the extracting proces.

Edit: And a bit more precise

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

1. What unzip program are you using?
2. Can you explain, step by step, what you did do so far? You could think of:
2.a. Did you find the mods you downloaded on your computer?
2.b. What did you do then, left or right clicking on the mod name, doubleclicking perhaps?
2.c. What happenend, Did you get a warning, nothing happenend or something else?
2.d. etcetera.

Question 0 is actually: Do you know what unzipping/extracting means? Followed by 0.a. Did you ever extract a file before and 0.b. How did you install minetest on your computer?

viewtopic.php?pid=112580#p112580

CrunchyCandyBar

Topywo wrote:1. What unzip program are you using?
2. Can you explain, step by step, what you did do so far? You could think of:
2.a. Did you find the mods you downloaded on your computer?
2.b. What did you do then, left or right clicking on the mod name, doubleclicking perhaps?
2.c. What happenend, Did you get a warning, nothing happenend or something else?
2.d. etcetera.

"CrunchyCandyBar: Yes, I found them. I entered the screen (does that make sense) and right-clicked the mod name and pressed "Extract all". And then they did this little loady thingy that is them extracting I am sure, and now I have no idea how to make them exist to be able to be configured into my game."

Question 0 is actually: Do you know what unzipping/extracting means? Followed by 0.a. Did you ever extract a file before and 0.b. How did you install minetest on your computer?

viewtopic.php?pid=112580#p112580
0. Not exactlu.

0.a Sometimes, it's been by default I haven't actually been the cause of it.

0.b Straight from memory: clicked a link and did nothing else

1. Huh?

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Ok, you need to learn about zip files. That is a subject in itself. It's not impossible but it is easier to help someone in person. One thing you can do is read a number of different tutorials about zip programs. I use 7-zip so that is the one I know best. Since you have no idea what a zip program is, likely you are using windows probably xp or above as they have very basic zip functionality built in. There are a number of tutorials out there, just do a search for them. You can use www.google.com or maybe ixquick.com for the search, even bing would be possible. You wont need to go too far into depth in the tutorials to learn what you need to know to extract a compressed file. Just remember that some tutorials are specific to a particular program. The best tutorials tend to have screenshots but also tend to be for specific programs. Hope that this helps you.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

See LionsDen's post (19).

I also think it would be helpful for you to press Windows button and select Windows Help and Support. You'll probably need to understand a bit more about the files and folders part.

Or find a tutorial about files and folders (and zipping/compressing/extracting) for your Windows version (WindowsXP, Windows 7, Windows8 ?) on YouTube.

ndjdjksisksk

by ndjdjksisksk » Post

do this here is a video! on how to install a mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oEcbJAThd8
nvm about me leaving minetest but i probably will for a while because i have nothing to do in this comunity becaise i can't make a server. my username is going to change i will make a new acount called stormchaser3000

jhlucario3

by jhlucario3 » Post

Can someone please tell me what this means

GUIConfigureWorld: Not allowing focus change.
pushable block 0.0.9 mod loaded
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: .__ __ __
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: _____ |__| ____ _____/ |_ ____ _______/ |_
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: / \| |/ \_/ __ \ __\/ __ \ / ___/\ __\
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: | Y Y \ | | \ ___/| | \ ___/ \___ \ | |
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: |__|_| /__|___| /\___ >__| \___ >____ > |__|
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: World at [C:\Users\John\Desktop\minetest-0.4.5\bin\..\worlds\EXP]
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on port 30011.
creative inventory size: 115
19:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
Font size: 8 17
19:33:55: ERROR[EmergeThread]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: Cannot prepare read statement

the mod loaded but i cant find it in my creative inventory.

The mod is monorail

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

jhlucario3 wrote: 19:33:55: ERROR[EmergeThread]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: Cannot prepare read statement

The mod is monorail

Idk what that means. But since you use 0.4.5, which is 7 months old, your problem might be solved downloading monoraik version 0.0.14 instead of 0.0.15.

Edit: Typo's.
Last edited by Topywo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

jhlucario3 wrote:Can someone please tell me what this means

pushable block 0.0.9 mod loaded
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: .__ __ __
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: _____ |__| ____ _____/ |_ ____ _______/ |_
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: / \| |/ \_/ __ \ __\/ __ \ / ___/\ __\
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: | Y Y \ | | \ ___/| | \ ___/ \___ \ | |
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: |__|_| /__|___| /\___ >__| \___ >____ > |__|
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: World at [C:\Users\John\Desktop\minetest-0.4.5\bin\..\worlds\EXP]
19:33:51: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on port 30011.
creative inventory size: 115
19:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
Font size: 8 17
19:33:55: ERROR[EmergeThread]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: Cannot prepare read statement

the mod loaded but i cant find it in my creative inventory.

The mod is monorail
This is an error while reading the sqlite database, it has most likely nothing to do with a mod.
Can you post the log with a higher debug log level: viewtopic.php?id=5073?