A guide to server creation.

sdzen

A guide to server creation.

by sdzen » Post

Okay I was looking at the pitiful explaination as to how to create a server on the wiki so I have decided to say this we should compile all steps to creating a minetest server in detailed order after all minetestserver, runserver.bat, running from the client, or running through a command line arent the only things you need to do or download to make a proper minetest
Note: I did this instead of posting yet anouther help topic on making servers through this I hope there can be a comprehensive guide made for the wiki or used as a sticky on the forum you have a few choices when you wish to play with your pals across the information highway one is setting it up through port forwarding or through a service like remobo or hamachi.

Method 1!

Port Forwarding
RabbiBob wrote: 1. Find the internal LAN IP of the computer the you are running the server on (example: 192.168.1.100)
2. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port 30000 to the internal LAN IP
2.a If any firewalls are present, they must allow the port to pass traffic as well.
3. Let your friends know what your internet IP is (you can find this by looking at your router's status page or go to a site such as whatismyip.com).
any more details would be helpful
also if it isn't apparent you also need to find the IP for your router so that you may gain access by typing the IP into the address box of your browser.
finding these internal LAN IP's in Window's can be as simple as typing ipconfig into the command prompt.
RabbiBob wrote: More specific to Linux[/unix-like] and perhaps useful, I found that by running the server with nohup I can exit the ssh session in order to leave the server running. I can also ssh in remotely when I'm not at home to start it up again if needed.
Example:
#>nohup ./<fullinstalldirpath>/bin/minetestserver
All of the screen output goes to nohup.out which is sometimes useful see the last event to the console before a crash as well as debug.txt
I've been curious as to how others have their servers running.
my list of favorite dyndns websites
1. freedns.afraid.org
2. no-ip.com

Other useful things include the use of GNU screen and tmux screen Man Page, tmux for noobs
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Method 2!

This method uses the software remobo to avoid port forwarding remobo is much like using a hamachi server for minecraft. (note for this anyone who wishes to connect must have the software installed and running.)

Here is the reason the minetest community as a whole does not endorse this method as shown by a IRC log from #minetest on Febuary 8th of 2013
(06:14:26 PM) Menche: should we "officially" recommend remobo somewhere for casual multiplayer?
(06:14:57 PM) Muadtralk: for like 1 or 2 players who just wanna play around
18:15
(06:15:01 PM) Muadtralk: yes we should
(06:15:01 PM) Menche: like on the sticky server how-to thread
(06:15:31 PM) Muadtralk: for a actual full blown server port forwarding is highly reccomended
(06:15:46 PM) Muadtralk: I will update my how to make a minetest server thread
(06:15:58 PM) Muadtralk: which somehow got stickied
(06:16:00 PM) Menche: but for someone just showing off their world, or a few friends playing, remobo is better IMO
(06:16:07 PM) marktraceur: We shouldn't recommend any non-free software.
(06:16:20 PM) Menche: ok, then what?
(06:16:38 PM) Kacey: hamachi
(06:16:55 PM) Menche: hamachi lags more than remobo i think
(06:17:32 PM) Menche: i *think* the slowest person on a hamachi network slows down everyone else
(06:17:40 PM) Menche: and is hamachi free?
(06:18:08 PM) marktraceur: vinagre probably is better
(06:19:19 PM) Menche: wouldn't that still require port-forwarding on the server?
18:20
(06:20:03 PM) marktraceur: Yes. But any free option will, because it's not using hacks and third parties to circumvent security
(06:20:34 PM) marktraceur: It would be stupid of this community to endorse non-free software. Learn to port forward instead.
Okay, now that thats out of the way and I have forced you to read through that lets actually start shall we?

Step 1: go to Remobo's website and download/install their client (hopefully you have installed software in the past so you get my drift and I don't have to explain the process)
Step 2: start the client and sign up! (haven't lost you yet have I?)
Step 3: now that you and your friend have done that you can add each other as buddies by one of you adding the other into his contacts.
Step 4: the person who is planning to access the others said minetest server must now hover over his friends computer and type the little address that appears into the multiplayer address box.
Step 5: connect with the port your friend has specified for the minetest server and ENJOY!
Last edited by sdzen on Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

This actually makes sense XD

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

Helpful Quick Links Within This Thread

Thanks. I agree as the question has come up a few times since I've joined here and it would do well as a sticky topic for beginners.

It was also discussed that firewalls would be an inhibitor. I would add:

Code: Select all

3.a. If any firewalls are present, they must allow the port to pass traffic as well.

More specific to Linux and perhaps useful, I found that by running the server with nohup I can exit the ssh session in order to leave the server running. I can also ssh in remotely when I'm not at home to start it up again if needed.

Example:

All of the screen output goes to nohup.out which is sometimes useful see the last event to the console before a crash as well as debug.txt

Last edited by RabbiBob on Sun Dec 02, 2012 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

You do know I am running Windows XP SP3, and it ran fine as a client (the server was the client) with Bwog right.
Last edited by Jordach on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

CalumMc wrote:Lots of people also have dynamic IPs, so using some dynamic DNS provider would be good, like I do with my server. Even setting a static internal IP would be good.
Dynamic DNS is a good idea.

True: If you didn't have a static internal IP, your port forwarding would fail if the IP ever changed. I've been so used to static ip'ing my Internet bound servers that I didn't think of that.

copypaste

by copypaste » Post

RabbiBob wrote:

This is really convoluted. Just use screen or tmux.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

Care to explain? I need to be able to shutdown, backup, and start the server from a cronjob and I've been able to do it with nohup without issue.

copypaste

by copypaste » Post

RabbiBob wrote:Care to explain? I need to be able to shutdown, backup, and start the server from a cronjob and I've been able to do it with nohup without issue.
https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/screen.html
Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes, typically interactive shells.
When screen is called, it creates a single window with a shell in it (or the specified command) and then gets out of your way so that you can use the program as you normally would. Then, at any time, you can create new (full-screen) windows with other programs in them (including more shells), kill the current window, view a list of the active windows, turn output logging on and off, copy text between windows, view the scrollback history, switch between windows, etc. All windows run their programs completely independent of each other. Programs continue to run when their window is currently not visible and even when the whole screen session is detached from the user's terminal.
Here's a quick how to:
To start screen, just type

screen
You'll see an informational page, hit return. Then you will see your shell prompt, but you're now actually inside screen.

Then run the server:

minetestserver
Now you can detach from screen by pressing CTRL-a then the d key.

To reattach, do:

screen -r

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

zoot686

by zoot686 » Post

More specific to Linux and perhaps useful, I found that by running the server with nohup I can exit the ssh session in order to leave the server running.
There's a little linux http server named thttpd, and one of the scripts included in the distribution is a simple shell script that runs thttpd in a loop, meaning after it starts the server it checks the proccess list for the existance of the proccess number, and restarts the server if perchance the proccess number doesn't appear in the proccess list.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

I think the Server Directory is not writeable
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

That's weird
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Post

sfan, I moved my posts into its own thread.

princessjinifer

by princessjinifer » Post

Hum.. I want to setup my own server, but I don't have access to my router to do the port forwarding, and I am not sure my dad would want me to do that xp

I will ask him though, but I want to setup a computer dedicated just to it, so I don't have as much lag as I would on the computer I play on.. o:

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

3. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port #### to the internal LAN IP
So, you assume that we all know how to forward ports. Why not give a simple explanation, for the people that don't know how (and probably came here because the wiki doesn't say how either)
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Its different for each Router...

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Post

SegFault22 wrote:
3. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port #### to the internal LAN IP
So, you assume that we all know how to forward ports. Why not give a simple explanation, for the people that don't know how (and probably came here because the wiki doesn't say how either)
I mean no disrespect, but I believe the actual assumption is that you're smart enough to use Google to find instructions for port forwarding. Like Sfan5 said, it's different for each router. The simple explanation is "Use port forwarding"

TheLoLMan

by TheLoLMan » Post

Please .Bat Download But my version is 0.31

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Server creation between 0.3.1 and 0.4 is pretty much the same, except for the world/gameid stuff.
Never download a random .bat file from the Internet (or if you do so, always, always check its contents). Do it yourself.

hyudez257

by hyudez257 » Post

how do i do the port # in minetest.conf? i dont have a program that opens it

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

hyudez257 wrote:how do i do the port # in minetest.conf? i dont have a program that opens it
minetest.conf is a text file, open it in a text editor like notepad/textedit/vim/gedit.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

hyudez257

by hyudez257 » Post

ok thank you. it is currently connecting to server (that's what it says)

MR_Green

by MR_Green » Post

Bonjour,

qui pourrait m'expliquer en français comment on crée un serveur ?

TheLoLMan

by TheLoLMan » Post

Beacuse i dont craete the server

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

SegFault22 wrote:
No, I assumed that I was trying to get a helpful track out there and that I'd help whoever else had specific questions and add to the information at hand.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+set+up+port ... n+a+router