[Mod (unfinished] TimeBased Furnace [v206608][tb_furnace]

fairiestoy

[Mod (unfinished] TimeBased Furnace [v206608][tb_furnace]

by fairiestoy » Post

Hello guys,

something bothered me a while: the builtin furnaces. Due to the way they are working, one cannot just fill them up with materials and go mining for a while or offline ( because of work or school ) and come back to see everything finished. Well, this furnaces work different from that. At least thats what i planned that they do x). However, they are now working time based. Means they are calculating the time from when you filled it with materials, and the next time you access them. This way its not necessary to keep the chunk loaded or keep the server running (when playing singleplayer).

Known disadvantages / Bugs:
Current version 206608 has a bug, where it is not consuming the first appearance of the fuel item.
Also it is not possible to see the current usage of fuel in percent like the builtin ones are showing.

Known advantages:
Furnaces are capable of running offline/in not loaded chunks
Would take down one more ABM if replaced with default furnaces
No performance impact of not accessing them

Version: 206608
License: Not given until finished ( License for texture: Look at license for default furnace texture )

Im posting this unfinished version to get criticism and bug reports

Github Repo

Download ZIP
Last edited by fairiestoy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Interesting about new things is, to figure out how it works ...

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

You should take a look at that: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/200
It has already be done, but not merged in default game.

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Post

Thanks for pointing me to that Nore. Did not know that such a approach already exists. But still there is something that botheres me at that code: The ABM also runs over default:furnace where default:furnace_active should be enough. For what reason is the ABM running the furnace_step on a not active furnace?
Beside that, i will cancel this project then, would be nice if a moderator can move this topic or delete it :3

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Making furnaces work when the area is not loaded is a good idea. Don't hide the topic!

It may also happen in a game that the furnaces hang. Which is very annoying. In such a case (admittedly a bug), furnaces that do work on their own help a lot.

Perhaps you can turn this into a general furnace-framework. There are some copies of the default furnace out there which usually do not change much apart from textures, description and perhaps speed (homedecor, oven in foods, decorative furnaces, ..).
A list of my mods can be found here.

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Post

For a furnace-framework, there should be some more things included like adjustable slot-sizes for fuel/src/dst lists, maybe a factor of speed improvement ( example multiplying the normal cooktime or dividing it with a factor to gain new speeds ) and possible user data that should be included aswell as un/locked furnaces or shared furnace capability. Maybe there are some more ideas what possibilities a furnace can give. Also a good idea would be, if the framework only returns the furnace definition so that the modprogrammer can modify this definition before actually registering it as a node.