What Minetest needs to be MORE popular than Minecraft

Ikishida

What Minetest needs to be MORE popular than Minecraft

by Ikishida » Post

Reason 1:
okay so,while i was playing minecraft,I thought,why is minetest's block bigger than minecraft's?
so,I think we need to make blocks smaller.

Reason 2:
There's a lack of Mobs in default.I think Minetest's mod called "Simple Mobs" should have more mobs and models and should be on default.

Reason 3:
yeah,fishing,I want fishing to be in default.

Reason 4:
TEXTURES! we need to improve minetest's default textures so it will be fun to play.

Reason 5:
It's laggy,let's make minetest less laggy so we can move faster and the map should generate unknown parts faster.

Reason 6:
movement speed,make movement speed faster by 3% (especially when you're flying)

I would like to see these in Minetest 0.4.8. (and yes,I am a critic)
When life hands you lemons,throw it back at life saying "I don't need your goddamn lemons!" =D

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

1) Blocks are the same size

2) Simple mobs really lags slow machines

3) Possibly, possibly

4)Texture packs

5) You go and change the engine and make it faster, go on.

6) Fast key.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Ikishida wrote:Reason 1:
okay so,while i was playing minecraft,I thought,why is minetest's block bigger than minecraft's?
so,I think we need to make blocks smaller.
Eye height is a bit lower in Minetest, that's why blocks look like they're a bit larger.
Ikishida wrote:Reason 2:
There's a lack of Mobs in default.I think Minetest's mod called "Simple Mobs" should have more mobs and models and should be on default.
Sometimes too slow.

Ikishida wrote:Reason 4:
TEXTURES! we need to improve minetest's default textures so it will be fun to play.
Just use texture packs if you're not happy with the default textures...
Ikishida wrote:Reason 5:
It's laggy,let's make minetest less laggy so we can move faster and the map should generate unknown parts faster.
"lag" isn't "slow performance", but Minecraft is usually slower than Minetest on slow machines.
Ikishida wrote:Reason 6:
movement speed,make movement speed faster by 3% (especially when you're flying)
You can do that yourself too, by editing minetest.conf or using the "fast" movement mode.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

You should change the topic to "What Minetest needs to be EXACTLY LIKE Minecraft".

Also I repeat what I say in every thread like this: Why do people want Minetest to be more popular?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

What it needs to be more popular?

A miracle.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Why do people want Minetest to be more popular?
Being more popular wouldn't be bad per-se; I'd agree that "need" is not the right word though.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Don't think there's a connection between popularity and quality.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:Don't think there's a connection between popularity and quality.
Very well said. Look at the crap on sites like youtube, quality is not popularity.
Back from the dead!

evorios

by evorios » Post

Need:
- atmospherics;
- intrigue;
- stability;
- quality.

Maybe it will be unlike maincraft, but it must be present.
On the example of maincraft show you what it means.

- Atmospherics is (creeper+enderman+their sounds+hell+etc), every thing is interconnected.
- Intrigue is unexpected attack from the back in the darkness and other.
Maincraft`s world was intriguing and atmospheric, when it appeared.
- Stability is the presence of stable clients with a classic set of mods that satisfy the first two paragraphs.
- Quality is presence of stable servers (w/o devs options) with low ping from all continents, satisfying all the preceding paragraphs.
Use google translator.

Ikishida

by Ikishida » Post

Yeah,sorry bout' bothering you guys...After I woke up this morning,I realized "maybe Minetest doesn't need to change..." and...yeah,minetest doesn't need a change...change can be bad...Minetest can just be itself...It's special,Not all games shouldn't be the same...if it's all the same,then,if you get bored in one game,you get bored with it all! so...Minetest doen't need 0.4.8... It could be,you know,itself...everyone's special,like me,I'm stupid and yet,I'm beautiful for who I am,and that goes the same for games...sorry about that guys...
When life hands you lemons,throw it back at life saying "I don't need your goddamn lemons!" =D

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Ikishida wrote:Yeah,sorry bout' bothering you guys...After I woke up this morning,I realized "maybe Minetest doesn't need to change..." and...yeah,minetest doesn't need a change...change can be bad...Minetest can just be itself...It's special,Not all games shouldn't be the same...if it's all the same,then,if you get bored in one game,you get bored with it all! so...Minetest doen't need 0.4.8... It could be,you know,itself...everyone's special,like me,I'm stupid and yet,I'm beautiful for who I am,and that goes the same for games...sorry about that guys...
It kind of does need 0.4.8 because a lot of mods need engine features in it.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Ikishida wrote:Yeah,sorry bout' bothering you guys...After I woke up this morning,I realized "maybe Minetest doesn't need to change..." and...yeah,minetest doesn't need a change...change can be bad...Minetest can just be itself...It's special,Not all games shouldn't be the same...if it's all the same,then,if you get bored in one game,you get bored with it all! so...Minetest doen't need 0.4.8... It could be,you know,itself...everyone's special,like me,I'm stupid and yet,I'm beautiful for who I am,and that goes the same for games...sorry about that guys...
Was that sarcasm?
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

but if minetest was more like minecraft then the mojang would have the right to call minetest a rip off and then take the whole project down and there would be no more minetest so let's not do this

EDI: mojang has taken down minecraft clones before
Last edited by stormchaser3000 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Well, it's concerning that a U.S. district court ruled that a Tetris clone infringed the Tetris Troll's copyright because it used the same shapes and had the same grid size. But that kind of ridiculously loose application of copyright can already be used to allow Mojang to sue Minetest, because it "infringes" on such "creative works" as "cubes that are made of 16x16x16 voxels", or "having a pick, shovel, axe, and sword as the tools", or "having a randomly-generated world".

If those district court judges were simply stupid, raving lunatics and copyright law isn't actually ridiculous to the point where reverse-engineering infringes copyright, then Minetest wouldn't be in any more danger by having some more of the stuff Minecraft already has. I think assuming that this is the case is the smart way to move forward; if you live your life making compromises for the sake of being perfectly safe from copyright, which is a ridiculously stupid law to begin with, you're basically forbidden from creativity.

(That's not to say Minetest should necessarily be an exact clone of Minecraft, but vague fear of copyright-related lawsuits being possible is an unhealthy reason to resist being similar.)
Last edited by onpon4 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

evorios wrote: - Quality is presence of stable servers (w/o devs options) with low ping from all continents, satisfying all the preceding paragraphs.
When you figure out how to do that the Internet will thank you.

Derp_Herpsworth

by Derp_Herpsworth » Post

Honestly? According to what onpon4 said. It is IMPOSSIBLE to make it more popular than Minecraft.

However, it is possible to make Minetest more popular than it should:
  • Showing to people that Minetest has more freedom than Minecraft in modding with the Minetest Modding API.
  • Showing that Minetest works better than Minecraft on many older computers.
  • Showing that Minetest's Multiplayer doesn't need to be full of Copied and Pasted servers (at least on Brazil) and the Modding API opens possiblities to a VAST multiplayer.
  • Creating more mods and texture packs for Minetest.
  • Creating a Mobile Version which has MOST of the features (including Modding) of the Desktop version of Minetest.
Anyone else wants to give suggestions to make Minetest more popular?
Last edited by Derp_Herpsworth on Fri Dec 06, 2013 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

onpon4 wrote:Well, it's concerning that a U.S. district court ruled that a Tetris clone infringed the Tetris Troll's copyright because it used the same shapes and had the same grid size. But that kind of ridiculously loose application of copyright can already be used to allow Mojang to sue Minetest, because it "infringes" on such "creative works" as "cubes that are made of 16x16x16 voxels", or "having a pick, shovel, axe, and sword as the tools", or "having a randomly-generated world".

If those district court judges were simply stupid, raving lunatics and copyright law isn't actually ridiculous to the point where reverse-engineering infringes copyright, then Minetest wouldn't be in any more danger by having some more of the stuff Minecraft already has. I think assuming that this is the case is the smart way to move forward; if you live your life making compromises for the sake of being perfectly safe from copyright, which is a ridiculously stupid law to begin with, you're basically forbidden from creativity.

(That's not to say Minetest should necessarily be an exact clone of Minecraft, but vague fear of copyright-related lawsuits being possible is an unhealthy reason to resist being similar.)
Mojang own the rights for their textures and source but not the genre, Minecrafts copyrite is no different from any first person shooter. Wolfenstein 3d and Doom by ID were the original first person shooters which created a new genre, ID never sued for the millions of doom inspired FPS's that followed.

"cubes that are made of 16x16x16 voxels": No different to the days of 3D-rendered, bitmap graphics, vector graphics ect.
"having a pick, shovel, axe, and sword as the tools": Dooms Armor, Health packs, HUD ect
"having a randomly-generated world": Algorithm

Minetest is non profit open source project so Mojang has no case as long as Minetest does not use their textures or source.
Last edited by Dopium on Sat Dec 07, 2013 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

BTW I am pretty sure Minetest doesnt have 16x16x16 blocks. What about the 32x32 or even VanessaE's 512x512 texturepacks. Also I made a nodebox with some of the parts being 1/10 tall. Minecraft and Minetest have cubes that can be any size.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

veriaqa

by veriaqa » Post

I think we minetest should differentiate itself from minecraft not copy minecraft completely.

What we need to make it different and better is by having more blocks in minetest that are not exist in minecraft. We should have different wood with different quality and property (ie. bamboo).
ꦕꦺꦴꦧ ꦠꦩ꧀ꦧꦁ

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:BTW I am pretty sure Minetest doesnt have 16x16x16 blocks. What about the 32x32 or even VanessaE's 512x512 texturepacks. Also I made a nodebox with some of the parts being 1/10 tall. Minecraft and Minetest have cubes that can be any size.
Eh, a block (or mapblock) is 16x16x16 nodes (a node is what you meant by "block").
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:BTW I am pretty sure Minetest doesnt have 16x16x16 blocks. What about the 32x32 or even VanessaE's 512x512 texturepacks. Also I made a nodebox with some of the parts being 1/10 tall. Minecraft and Minetest have cubes that can be any size.
Eh, a block (or mapblock) is 16x16x16 nodes (a node is what you meant by "block").
nodeblock
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

He is a critic. That's not bad, it's good.

It seems to me that the solution is not to make minetest in minecraft.
See my solution:

Add a virtual shop mods and textures (all free) that is easier to get a mod or texture to a click.
Imagine if just-installed with a few clicks, then click on "Store" and immediately emerged was a serious mods and textures, which can be downloaded and installed with a single click.
the tip is INTERFACE.

After that, the most important: DISCLOSURE. That would throw minetest to a new level.

Regarding the Current State minetest not need to change anything. It's great.
Last edited by BrunoMine on Sun Dec 08, 2013 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
My small square universe under construction ... Minemacro
Comunidade Minetest Brasil
www.minetestbrasil.com

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

brunob.santos wrote:DISCLOSURE
Spoiler
dis·clo·sure
disˈklōZHər
noun
the action of making new or secret information known.
"a judge ordered the disclosure of the government documents"
Disclosure of what?

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

mauvebic wrote:Disclosure of what?
Aliens of course.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

paramat wrote:
mauvebic wrote:Disclosure of what?
Aliens of course.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build