Mesecons vs Redstone

jojoa1997

Mesecons vs Redstone

by jojoa1997 » Post

I am going to let other people continue this topic and not try to shape it into my views. Also please either research throughly or have minecraft and use redstone before you start naming how mesecons is so much better and then stating false or irrelivent redstone facts.
Edit: Also saying stuff like mesecons has logic gates dont con't because so does redstone. it is just that mesecons is a more compacted way of doing it.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Like you stated, gates are simpler. Verticle mesecons, last I knew redstone couldn't go straight vertical, but it's also been about a year since I played minecraft.

A few cool things that redstone does that mesecons don't:

1) Redstone chests, sends a signal a certain distance down the redstone circuit depending how full the chest is. Say you have 14 blocks of redstone, for a chest half full it would power 7 of those blocks from the chest.

Actually that's the only thing I can think of right now. Mesecons+ pipeworks can build all the big sorting machines (and probably better) you see with redstone, droppers, despencers, hoppers, etc...

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I think we need to give mesecons some time.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Regarding redstone chests, while mesecons won't be able to do the fullness-to-range signaling, it should be easily possible to send a digilines signal with a message indicating the fullness of the chest.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

With mc mods like red power you have pipe systems, things like FORTH programmable computers, and complicated machines. Also, red alloy wire from red power is like a Mesecons bit less slow.
Mesecons is slow and buggy, but has many useful features. I only call redstone and all mc mods that use it better, because they are not so leggy and slow.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:Mesecons is slow and buggy
If you complain about it, just fix it yourself.. Mesecons is Open Source and contributions are always appreciated
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

ninjaxx

by ninjaxx » Post

well you can use mescons in the air but not redstone it has to be on a block and it has problems for hiding it so mescons are better.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I never played MC before and I'm pretty new on MT...
Until now I didn't figure out how those mesecon torches work, so I'm just watching the scores :)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

Regarding redstone chests, I reckon something like that is in digilines now (or in a fork of it)
About forth programmable computers, there are some in technic_game, so they are not only for mc.
About complicated machines that could be controlled by mesecons, idem...

And redstone has no insulated cable... how can you make a pixel-precise display then?
The only advantage I see of redstone if if you want to have a lot of difficulty to build something... but if you want that, just build something bigger.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:Like you stated, gates are simpler. Verticle mesecons, last I knew redstone couldn't go straight vertical, but it's also been about a year since I played minecraft.

A few cool things that redstone does that mesecons don't:

1) Redstone chests, sends a signal a certain distance down the redstone circuit depending how full the chest is. Say you have 14 blocks of redstone, for a chest half full it would power 7 of those blocks from the chest.

Actually that's the only thing I can think of right now. Mesecons+ pipeworks can build all the big sorting machines (and probably better) you see with redstone, droppers, despencers, hoppers, etc...
I would also add that i like how redstone comparaters either subrtact the strength of one from the other input or by rightclicking it will turn off onece the strength of one is over the other. Another thing is hoppers. Hoppers are more simpler than pipeworks when it comes to moving materials and can work well to make automated things.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Another thing is hoppers. Hoppers are more simpler than pipeworks when it comes to moving materials and can work well to make automated things.
Then pipeworks will soon have something even easier than hoppers...
But I thought it was a mesecons vs redstone topic, not pipeworks... ;)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Development with mesecons was slowed the day that Jeija became to busy to work on it. He was the genius behind it.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Hopper is redstone
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PeterPanda

Re: Mesecons vs Redstone

by PeterPanda » Post

Mesecons is better because it can be verdical and redstone cant.

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

Redstone doesn't have Luacontrollers (or single-node logic gates, or vertical wires, or digilines, or much at all really).

There /are/ digiline chests out there. They don't send different "strengths" of signals, but they do indicate when full, amongst other things.

I still don't understand what's so great about hoppers.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

cheapie wrote:Redstone doesn't have Luacontrollers
Oh, wonder, they use Java. By default.

COMMIT by Krock: Add "By default."
Last edited by Krock on Mon Jun 16, 2014 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Krock wrote:
cheapie wrote:Redstone doesn't have Luacontrollers
Oh, wonder, they use Java.
http://www.computercraft.info/wiki/Calculator_Tutorial

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Mesecons fail to activate a wire with a pressure plate 2 nodes above it. Moreover, the plate itself doesn't deactivate in such conditions.
Here's rather long video in which I exercise in a foreign language and sound really awful...
Still it covers 2 issues mentioned above: http://youtu.be/NaY6GQod3iE

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

4aiman wrote:Mesecons fail to activate a wire with a pressure plate 2 nodes above it. Moreover, the plate itself doesn't deactivate in such conditions.
Alternative:

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Krock wrote:
4aiman wrote:Mesecons fail to activate a wire with a pressure plate 2 nodes above it. Moreover, the plate itself doesn't deactivate in such conditions.
Alternative:
Or you can use default:mese (meseblock).
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Alternative:
That's anything but alternative ;p
I spoke about 2 nodes below, you've suggested 1 below & 1 to the side. That's hardly a way to hide mesecons wiring.
Or you can use default:mese (meseblock).
That's not smth I spoke about too. The point is to hide wiring, not to mark it with MESE.
Just imagine a wooden floor with a pressure plate and suddenly there's MESE block. That looks hideous.
I don't think that building one's home out of MESE is a good idea either.

Also, guys, look at the code before suggesting. Please.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

So... are there any ideas?

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

why not use a player detector?

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Here's rather long video in which I exercise in a foreign language and sound really awful...
Still it covers 2 issues mentioned above: http://youtu.be/NaY6GQod3iE
I tested it, and it's true, this is a problem. Have you reported it on GitHub?
EDIT: That being said, the plate DOES deactivate for me in those conditions....
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Nope. Waited for confirmation from others. I'll create one now, since I'm not the only one.