Windows Firewall

jojoa1997

Windows Firewall

by jojoa1997 » Post

Why is minetest blocked on windows 7 firewall? I don't want to bypass it , but i am curious.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Why is minetest blocked on windows 7 firewall? I don't want to bypass it , but i am curious.
Windows firewall blocks every new app by default.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

hoodedice wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:Why is minetest blocked on windows 7 firewall? I don't want to bypass it , but i am curious.
No. Why is it that when I install other apps the firewall doesn't block it? Or is it because minetest is compiled and not like normal apps?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
No. Why is it that when I install other apps the firewall doesn't block it? Or is it because minetest is compiled and not like normal apps?
dude, everything has to be compiled in some way
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

sfan5 wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
Even java, js and python programmes? They are just parsed and interpreted.

Sounds like he uses Win8 from his use of the word "app".
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
sfan5 wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote: No. Why is it that when I install other apps the firewall doesn't block it? Or is it because minetest is compiled and not like normal apps?

I meant there might be some trusted source flag that minetest doesnt have. Also i use Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Android. Technically all programs are apps/applications so it is easier for me to use the word app due to Android use. Anyways I just want to know why windows feels threatened by people joining a LAN server.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:
sfan5 wrote: dude, everything has to be compiled in some way

I meant there might be some trusted source flag that minetest doesnt have. Also i use Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Android. Technically all programs are apps/applications so it is easier for me to use the word app due to Android use. Anyways I just want to know why windows feels threatened by people joining a LAN server.
Windows is not secure, thats why they have to block a lot of (good) stuff to make it at least a bit more secure (although that doesnt help much).

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:

Windows is not secure, thats why they have to block a lot of (good) stuff to make it at least a bit more secure (although that doesnt help much).
I noticed that minecraft at school isn't blocked. Could that be because the settings in java allows for it.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
sfan5 wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote: No. Why is it that when I install other apps the firewall doesn't block it? Or is it because minetest is compiled and not like normal apps?

Java: Sure, it gets compiled to bytecode.
Javascript: Depends on the engine, but usually is compiled to something different too
Python: Compiled to bytecode by the interpreter
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Who uses Windows firewall?!

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

BlockMen wrote:
It is enabled by default.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

BlockMen wrote:

Me. Of course.

But it does it to every other game I play, including BATTLEFIELD 2, NFS: Carbon, and smaller titles like minetest. Oh, and also MagicJack.

Sometimes, when it doesn't block a certain app, it is:

A. Either from Microsoft.
B. Some app that doesn't use the net.
C. Firefox.
Last edited by hoodedice on Fri Dec 06, 2013 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

It is Microsoft's "protection" attempt, 7 prompts the user to allow or block internet access by any non Microsoft approved programs just like Vista but not as bad. From my knowledge 7 is a toned down Vista, where vista would ask for administrator privs with everything 7 only prompts when accessing internet or critical system files.

I would say 7 checks if the program is approved when accessing internet or critical system files if not then prompt for administrator rights. The theory is spyware and malware would need your "approval" to access internet or system files.

But yeah like everyone has said Windows is not secure, win firewall is as useful as the lock on your car, someone can just break the window.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Would launching Minetest with a java wrapper bypass the win7 firewall because the application would look like a java app? If that did work how would one do it for minetest? BTW dont tell me to search google because i have been doing that for the last half-hour. Nothing beats human feedback.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Would launching Minetest with a java wrapper bypass the win7 firewall because the application would look like a java app? If that did work how would one do it for minetest? BTW dont tell me to search google because i have been doing that for the last half-hour. Nothing beats human feedback.
If you use a java wrapper, the java.exe process would start minetest.exe and minetest.exe will still be blocked

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Calinou wrote:
BlockMen wrote:

No reason to use it ;) Kinda every other firewall is better than MS's

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

BlockMen wrote:
Calinou wrote:
BlockMen wrote:

To me that is wrong both ways. One it should be used because some protection is better than none. And two why not used windows firewall that was bultin and does nothing bad, while also using another one too.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
BlockMen wrote:
Calinou wrote:

To me that is wrong both ways. One it should be used because some protection is better than none. And two why not used windows firewall that was bultin and does nothing bad, while also using another one too.
If you use two different firewalls on Windows.

You're gonna have a crash time

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
BlockMen wrote:
Calinou wrote:

You only need a firewall if your computer is connected directly to the internet (without a router)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

sfan5 wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
BlockMen wrote:

You only need a firewall if your computer is connected directly to the internet (without a router)
You mean, without a NAT. The vast majority of routers use NAT though.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Calinou wrote:
sfan5 wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote: To me that is wrong both ways. One it should be used because some protection is better than none. And two why not used windows firewall that was bultin and does nothing bad, while also using another one too.
You mean, without a NAT. The vast majority of routers use NAT though.
...Or if you want have a reliable way to block programs to connect (for certain reasons)