Redcrab's server

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Not just lower, anywhere past +-6000 on x/y/z.

If anyone builds past the map, then they obviously do not want their building to be seen.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

eurito100

by eurito100 » Post

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THOSE MINETEST PLAYERS AND ESPECIALLY TO THE RECRAB SERVER PLAYER!!!!!!!

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I thought thanks giving was in July?

Happy thanks giving then!

Hello profile reader

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I thought thanks giving was in July?

In america, it's in November.
Back from the dead!

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

It was strange for me as well, a little bit of Wikipedia and everthing is clear.

4th July - Independence Day (United States)
28th November - Thanksgiving (United States)
Last edited by cactuz_pl on Thu Nov 28, 2013 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Nope

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

Is the server down? I cant seem to connect...
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Evergreen wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:I thought thanks giving was in July?

In america, it's in November.
Is it in other places than america? I thought it was an American tradition.

Hello profile reader

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Is it in other places than america? I thought it was an American tradition.
Same name, but different reasons, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_day
Nope

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

we need to commission some turkey pixel art on redcrab to celebrate, also need some new cranberry coloured wool ;)

i love minetest

by i love minetest » Post

can I please help my name I in game name is George
if you need any more information please don't hesitate to pm me or email me

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

i love minetest wrote:can I please help my name I in game name is George
How can I help you?

Btw. There is no such player. Looks like you didn't even log on this server.
Nope

Erthome
In-game: Erthome Azyaqux

by Erthome » Post

Just for fun and to learn a bit more about our platform, I've taken the sqllite world file as recorded using SFan's recorder client, through the efforts of Sokomine and Aspiremint (and others?) and set it up as a multiuser game world, under 0.4.6...The world is live on the net, as a simple proof of concept, that in a clutch we could salvage an abandoned server, so long as someone has made a point to do such backups...I'm not opening it up for visitors, as the server is hardly powerful enough to make a good showing even if it was needed or appropriate, and everyone can already make use of the single -user versions as mentioned by Soko ,and appropriate...but it is nice to know that it is doable in a clutch :-)

This necessitated using a new admin account/user, then assigning new passwords via that account to oneself and presumably any other players who wanted their accounts reactivated on a new platform...I notice that signs and chests are still owned by the in force accounts, but I am guessing that protections would need to be redone from a global /list_areas list...As Soko pointed out above the Travelnets would need to be salvaged or redone as well.

What this brings me to wonder, is should we make a formal effort to periodically record? Should folks regularly record their new construction (and any previously undetected stuff they'd like to insure a bit) and would it be feasible to merge these separate files in any semi-automated way on a regular basis?

Just food for thought, but if it seems like a good idea I would be happy to offer hosting space for a drop box repository for recorded bits, and maybe a simple dedicated wiki where folks could document/showcase their creations in a sort of Atlas manner, perhaps annotating a clickable map (like a platt book).

I don't want to make extra/unvaluable work for anyone, nor be needlessly redundant with the efforts of others already in motion...so, again, really just tossing ideas out there and offering space.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Erthome wrote: I notice that signs and chests are still owned by the in force accounts, but I am guessing that protections would need to be redone from a global /list_areas list...As Soko pointed out above the Travelnets would need to be salvaged or redone as well.
That's right. Chests and their content are saved as part of the map. The protection system and the travelnets use additional savefiles to store the information they require, and that information is not transmitted along with the mapdata. In theory, my travelnet mod could be changed so that it recreates networks whenever an unknown station shows up, but that would be some work and is not really necessary now (in singleplayer, travelling around is pretty fast).
Erthome wrote: What this brings me to wonder, is should we make a formal effort to periodically record? Should folks regularly record their new construction (and any previously undetected stuff they'd like to insure a bit)
I'd like to encourage people to record what they like. It allows to explore server maps in singleplayer with the far faster loading mapdata from their local storage, and it is a useful precaution against loss. It may not be necessary for Redcrabs server - apart from Redcrab's absence, the server has run for a long time and is stil running - so get places protected and it might be just fine. But precaution can't hurt.

It's worse with some...smaller servers out there which are run by less experienced server owners/admins. Quite often these worlds disappear or restart with a new map. If you've built anything on a server you don't absolutely trust the admins to have backups at hands and to be there tomorrow, by all means make a local copy of your buildings and everything else you want to preserve. Plus it might not hurt to check which mods are installed and to download and store the versions used in time. Getting them later is sometimes difficult.
Erthome wrote: would it be feasible to merge these separate files in any semi-automated way on a regular basis?
Merging of areas that are only part of one saved map and not of the other one would be pretty easy. The main problem is that there's afaik no reliable way to find out which mapblock is newer.
Erthome wrote: dedicated wiki where folks could document/showcase their creations in a sort of Atlas manner, perhaps annotating a clickable map (like a platt book)
There used to be a "tourist's guide to redcrabs server" somewhere that did that to some degree. I don't know if it's still up. It may be pretty outdated. Perhaps a new verion/update might be a good idea?
A list of my mods can be found here.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Or a Tourists Guide to Minetest Servers in general...that might make a nice 'sticky' here in the forum, although a structured thing like what I see happening here on the Forum with the Mod inventory would be even better. If there was an interest/need I'd be happy to set up and host YetAnotherWiki but there are already so many places with good content I hate to add another URL for the community to remember...really hard on newcomers in particular...

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Perhaps the save files could include the initial save date and connection URL [including port] in the file name? @SFAN, is that reasonable/doable? That would still be no guarantee, BUT it might help significantly with sorting things out, especially if folks start saving from various worlds...

[EDIT] Perhaps 'date' not such a good idea since that would mean that multiple visits to same site would produce more files...How does that work now? If I return to a server does it overwrite the save file or append it?
Last edited by Erthome on Fri Dec 06, 2013 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Erthome wrote: Perhaps the save files could include the initial save date and connection URL [including port] in the file name?
That (address/ip plus port as part of the file name) would save a lot of trouble since there would be less care required not to accidently mix worlds. I'd also appreciate it very much if this code could be merged into the main game.
Erthome wrote: If I return to a server does it overwrite the save file or append it?
It's extended. If you visit a mapblock you havn't been to before, it's added. If you revisit one, the old data of that mapblock is recplaced with the current one.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

@SFan do you see any technical road blocks there? Is it feasible to grab the IP and port and use it as the save file name?

@coreDevelopers any reasons you can think of why the recorder feature could/ought not be incorporated into the game? (apart from the need to agree on how to offer the option to the user in an interface)

@serverOperators anyone have a gripe with making said feature generally accessible instead of unofficially available?

@all, pros/cons?

As I understand it (but please correct me if I'm mistaken) the added load is only on the client side, hence, if the feature is off by default it would be zero-sum-gain, and when the user employs the feature it becomes a conscious/desired tradeoff to grab things for offline viewing...

Are there servers where this feature would cause Intellectual Property concerns?

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Erthome wrote:@SFan do you see any technical road blocks there? Is it feasible to grab the IP and port and use it as the save file name?

@coreDevelopers any reasons you can think of why the recorder feature could/ought not be incorporated into the game? (apart from the need to agree on how to offer the option to the user in an interface)

@serverOperators anyone have a gripe with making said feature generally accessible instead of unofficially available?

@all, pros/cons?

As I understand it (but please correct me if I'm mistaken) the added load is only on the client side, hence, if the feature is off by default it would be zero-sum-gain, and when the user employs the feature it becomes a conscious/desired tradeoff to grab things for offline viewing...

Are there servers where this feature would cause Intellectual Property concerns?
As a thought, a server could determine if it will allow the feature to be used on it or not.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Erthome wrote: Are there servers where this feature would cause Intellectual Property concerns?
Intresting question. I think that as long as it's for personal use only (i.e. the player runs the world in singleplayer for himshelf), there's no problem. As servers/maps have no liscence (unless done by a single person or specificly provided for download), the usual permissive liscences do not apply.

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Hi All
The map generation message seems to suggest that the north part of the map was updated, but the 'north' png hasn't been updating. Is this a problem with the map-gen?

cheers,
Rob.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

If someone is building at that part of the map, it might perhaps lock those records and prevent the 2d map from beeing generated. Or it's a bug. Hard to tell.

Important note for all with a very recent client: There are some problems with very new versions of the client, starting a few days ago. If you use such a client, it may be that you find yourshelf in a void area - no map loading around you, and only fog and/or sky visible. In such a case, please take an older client for now!

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

DemonOfTheEast and Friends...I thought you might like to have these...

[img=Nightime Image]https://onehorseworld.com/MinetestJeffrey/RedcrabImages/DemonOfTheEastAndFriends1.png[/img]

[img=Daytime Image]https://onehorseworld.com/MinetestJeffrey/RedcrabImages/DemonOfTheEastAndFriends2.png[/img]

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Whoever built that city did a fine job.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

Hello all!

Well Redcrab is the first Minetest server I ever played on, and I first played here on January 23, 2013. The reason I'm saying this is because I will be here on Thursday, January 23, 2014 at around 10:00 PM EST USA, recording a 1-year anniversary episode!

Follow me on Twitter or like me on Facebook to keep up on updates about some time possible changes of the time I log on, because I have NO idea if I'll be on at 10:00 PM. http://www.twitter.com/jaykeepoo http://www.facebook.com/officialjaykeepoo

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by oOChainLynxOo on Tue Jan 14, 2014 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Have a good day or good night or whatever time you're reading this.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

oOChainLynxOo wrote:Hello all!

Well Redcrab is the first Minetest server I ever played on, and I first played here on January 23, 2013. The reason I'm saying this is because I will be here on Thursday, January 23, 2014 at around 10:00 PM EST USA, recording a 1-year anniversary episode!

Follow me on Twitter or like me on Facebook to keep up on updates about some time possible changes of the time I log on, because I have NO idea if I'll be on at 10:00 PM. http://www.twitter.com/jaykeepoo http://www.facebook.com/officialjaykeepoo

Hope to see you there!
Redcrab's server does not appear to be working right now, and newer builds don't work too well with it. Might I advise recording on VanessaE's Survival Server, VanessaE's Creative Server, or ShadowNinja's Creative Server instead? You have a better computer now, so you should be able to play on those servers.

There is a fork of Minetest known as Freeminer:
http://freeminer.org/
Not only does it have a few impressive features, but it also joins servers faster than Minetest does. Sadly, however, new Freeminer builds are kind of rare...