[Mod] Meshnodes [0.3.0] [meshnode]

stu
GitHub: stujones11

[Mod] Meshnodes [0.3.0] [meshnode]

by stu » Post

Poor man's voxel area entities

Demo Video: https://vimeo.com/203513820

Description

Meshnodes is a mod that transforms ordinary minetest nodes into a connected array of replica entities to which players can attach to and manoeuvre.

To use, simply build or place a model using nodes with a supported drawtype then place a meshnode controller in an appropriate position. Now use the special 'glue' that you will find in the controller node's inventory to connect your structure. Alternatively, if you are using worldedit, you can use the position markers to define the extents of your model.

When everything is connected you should return the 'glue' to the controller to enable activation. Once activated, players can then attach themselves to the controller or restore the model back to nodes. Restored models can be easily reconnected using the 'Connect from meta positions' option.

Please note that the 'glue' bottles are unique to a controller's position and are only useable within a limited range.

Supported drawtypes

I have done my best to include support for most of the common nodes that are useful for building ships etc, like fences, xpanes and walls including support for all default stairs and slabs in full 6d rotation. It may or may not work with other decorative nodeboxes/meshnodes, the best way to find out is to simply try it.

Exceptions include flowing liquids, wallmounted nodes, rails or any node with non-generated wield or inventory images. Some drawtypes have only partial support, like 'plantlike' for example.

Construction Advice

Place the controller node in the direction you wish to face when you attach to it and always try to make your models hollow wherever possible.

Controls

[Up] - Forward
[Down] - Reverse
[Left] - Turn Left
[Right] - Turn Right
[Jump] - Up
[Sneak] - Down
[RMB] - Interact

Crafting

By default crafting is enabled in singleplayer mode only and is somewhat expensive.

[default:bronzeblock] [default:diamondblock] [default:bronzeblock]
[default:obsidian_block] [default:steelblock] [default:goldblock]
[default:bronzeblock] [default:steelblock] [default:bronzeblock]

Multiplayer

Take care if you use this mod on a public server, while I have done my best to support basic protection, I am sure this mod could still provide serious potential for grief in the hands of the wrong people.

By default the controller node will only be available via `/give[me]` and requires the 'meshnode' privilege to be effective, however, non-privileged players will still be able to attach to and operate pre-activated models.

Note that you will probably need to increase `max_objects_per_block` to something a little higher than the default 64 to avoid server warnings and broken models. You can set `meshnode_autoconf = true` to automatically increase that limit to 4096 which, in theory, equates to one solid map-block full of meshnodes, though I would not advise testing that on live server.

Know Issues

Active objects sometimes disappear following a re-start/connect. This could be for a number of reasons including /clearobjects or a minetest bug. For this reason you are advised to always 'restore' your model to 'real' nodes before logging out or moving any significant distance away from it.

The player controlling the entity may appear to be connected to the wrong part of the model when viewed by a player that was not present during the initial attachment. Currently the only solution is for the operator to detach then re-attach to the model in the presence of said player.

Minetest Version: 0.4.14 or later.

Depends: default

License Source Code: LGPL v2.1

License Media: CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0)

Download: Version 0.3.0

Browse Code: github

Please report any problems here in this topic or using the github issue tracker.
Last edited by stu on Fri Feb 10, 2017 23:47, edited 13 times in total.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Amazing...
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

Oh....

Marvelous mod...

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

Awesome. My first flying creation was X-Wing from Star Wars . But if i leave game and later join so it wasnt there .

Pavel_S

by Pavel_S » Post

Very nice! This mod has better optimisation than my AirShip mod .
P.S. It`s a pity that engine don`t allow rotate collision box =( .

stu

by stu » Post

Pavel_S wrote:Very nice! This mod has better optimisation than my AirShip mod .
P.S. It`s a pity that engine don`t allow rotate collision box =( .
Thanks, though I must admit this was largely inspired by your mod, please feel free to incorporate any of this code if you think it will improve it.

hansuke123

by hansuke123 » Post

COOL MOD

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Wow, good work!
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

This is astounding
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

stu

by stu » Post

Mod Updated! Version 0.2.0

Added support for slabs, stairs, plantlike and fencelike (limited)

Edit: Sorry If you just downloaded this, it was missing the models directory
please update to the lastest git if you get errors.
Last edited by stu on Fri Dec 27, 2013 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pavel_S

by Pavel_S » Post

I have created steering wheel for this mod.

Download.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

I just decided to try this mod. I can only say it's pure awesomeness! Excellent job with this!

I created a small airship, and I'm really impressed how well this works and how seamless the movement is.

Here's my 1500th post :DDD
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

any server already using this ?

stu

by stu » Post

Pavel_S wrote:I have created steering wheel for this mod.
http://s24.postimg.org/tka9mnead/steeringwheel.png

Download.
Pavel_S, I really like this model and would also like to see this is in your airship mod
I was hoping that by exposing meshnode:create() it might encourage yourself and others to
depend on meshnode to make such amazing creations, thanks.
kaeza wrote:I just decided to try this mod. I can only say it's pure awesomeness! Excellent job with this!

I created a small airship, and I'm really impressed how well this works and how seamless the movement is.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... 371689.jpg

Here's my 1500th post :DDD
Thank you, kaeza for your kind remarks and screenshot, I do admire all of your work too.
aldobr wrote:any server already using this ?
Not sure if this is server ready yet, although I have tried to make it as configurable
as possible via meshnode.conf

PS. I would love everyone to share their meshnode screenshots and models by posting either
here or in the specific forum topic.

Forgelander

by Forgelander » Post

I'll create huge cities in the sky with this.
In-game name: MummySprayer
Servers usually on: I don't go on servers really.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Download.
Make it more voxely..

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Jordach wrote:

Download.
Make it more voxely..
Voxel enough.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

A heavy fly object! Works even for bigger dimensions..gonna try my luck with a hill
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

stu

by stu » Post

Krock wrote:http://i.imgur.com/UlYOV5p.png
A heavy fly object! Works even for bigger dimensions..gonna try my luck with a hill
It scales much better than I ever expected it to, just try to keep the numbers down by making large objects hollow where possible.
The use of stairs, slabs, plantlike and fencelike should be kept to a minimum to get the best performance.

randylin26

by randylin26 » Post

Hello when I tried loading this mod, its giving me an error like its missing something. Please help!
Last edited by randylin26 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

randylin26 wrote:Hello when I tried loading this mod, its giving me an error like its missing something. Please help!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2195orb.jpg
viewtopic.php?id=6450

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

This looks very interesting =) ... perhaps it would be possible to save the vehicle's schematic before the controller is added, then before shutting down the server you could land the vehicle and make it revert to it's standard node form by placing that schematic ... ?

stu

by stu » Post

paramat wrote:This looks very interesting =) ... perhaps it would be possible to save the vehicle's schematic before the controller is added, then before shutting down the server you could land the vehicle and make it revert to it's standard node form by placing that schematic ... ?
This is probably best used in conjuction with worldedit for that very reason, although this is a nice idea, I will give it some consideration.
Like I mentioned earlier, I was hoping that others might depend on this mod as a base for say an airship mod or a car ferry mod or whatever.
It would then become that mod's responsibility to perform any loading/saving of schematics.
Right now I am hoping to add some kind of 'passenger' attachment system, I'm just not quite sure how it's going to work yet,

stcrafts

by stcrafts » Post

rainbowship :D

amazing mod!
Last edited by stcrafts on Sat Jan 04, 2014 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------
Sorry for my bad English :I

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Post

can this mod/technique be used for dynamic map manipulations? or huge mobs (i think of an unique mob in a singleplayer game, a boss!!!)