[Mod] Travelpoints [1.5] [travelpoints]

RacsoRhodes

[Mod] Travelpoints [1.5] [travelpoints]

by RacsoRhodes » Post

(Not to be confused with Sokomine's "Travelnet" in name or functionality.)

Minetest Version: 0.4.10 or later.

Mod dependencies: default

License: WTFPL V2 for code, textures and sounds.

GitHub travelpoints

Singleplayer

Save world specific bookmarks to locations you travel to as "travelpoints", then easily teleport to those locations.

You can also create transporter pads whose destination can be set to an existing travelpoint, no need to ever enter coords by hand.

While meant for multiplayer servers, the global travelpoints features are available in singleplayer mode.

Multiplayer

Each user with the "travelpoints' privilege can set and drop their own collection of travelpoints. This privilege also allows the use of global travelpoints.

Users with the "tpglobal" privilege can set and drop global travelpoints.

Users with the "travelpads" privilege can place transporter pads which can be set to one of their own travelpoints or to a global travelpoint.

Chat Commands

The travelpoints mod allows you to save world specific, location bookmarks to the places you travel using "/tpset <title>".

You can then use "/tpgo <title>" to teleport to the given location.

If you wish to return to the location you just came from, use "/tpback".

You can list your collection of travelpoints by using the command "/tpgo".

If you want to delete an old travelpoint you no longer need, use "/tpdrop <title>".

For setting a global travelpoint, use "/tpgset". For listing and using global travelpoints, use "/tpggo". For dropping a global travelpoint use "/tpgdrop".

For more commands, and more thorough explanation of the above commands, see section 5 of the readme.txt.

Transporter Pads

Transporter pads allow you to fast travel without having to use chat commands. They are useful in large complexes so you can go from one area or floor to another just by walking onto a pad.

Place a transporter pad where you want it, then right click it. There can sometimes be a moment of lag between the time you place it and when it will let you access its interface.

Before you can choose a destination for the pad, you must list the available travelpoints. Press "My Travelpoints" to list your own, or press "Global Travelpoints" to list the global collection.

When the list appears you can then choose a destination for the pad.

After choosing a destination the list will clear, and the pad will become active.

You can change the destination any time you need to.

To list all the transporter pads you have placed use the chat command "/travelpads".

When playing multiplayer you can also set usage modes, allowing only you to use the transporter pad, anyone to use the pad, you and a list of players, or everyone except a list of players.

There are also decorative nodes, one is a receiving pad that you can place at the destination of your transporter pad, the other is a light that can be placed above either your transporter pad or receiving pad.

For more information about the nodes included in this mod see section 6 of the readme.txt.

Restrictions

There are no restrictions in singleplayer mode.

Admins of multiplayer servers are able to set restrictions in the travelpoints/config.lua file, as well as set world specific restrictions using "/travelpoints set <restriction> <value>" in game.

Server administrators can restrict the following features:
  • max_travelpoints - The maximum travelpoints a player can save.
  • max_travelpads - The maximum transporter pads a player can place.
  • cooldown - Impose a cooldown between usage of /tpgo <title>
  • clear_back_pos - Clear the return location after use.
Players with the "server" privilege are not affected by these restrictions.

These restrictions are further explained in the config.lua file.

Video

Minetest Mod "Travelpoints" Transporter Pad Demo 1

One minute video briefly demonstrating setting and using travelpoints, and the transporter pad interface.

Downloads

Mod
travelpoints

Textures
travelpoints-textures-32
travelpoints-textures-64
travelpoints-textures-128
travelpoints-textures-256
travelpoints-textures-512

Mod Installation

Extract the "travelpoints-master.zip" archive to the mods directory. Rename the extracted directory "travelpoints-master" to "travelpoints".

Textures Installation

Extract the archive of your chosen resolution and copy or move the image files within into the directory of your active texture pack.

For example, if you were using the texture pack "SummerFields", you would download the 32x32 archive above and place the images contained into the texture pack's directory: "textures/SummerFields/".

Changelog

1.5 2018-02-10
  • This version corrects the directory creation error that began with Minetest Version 0.4.16.
  • Thanks to GitHub user "ritschwumm" for the changes in this version.
  • init.lua - Method for world table directory creation updated from os.execute() to minetest.mkdir(). Older Minetest versions still supported through os.execute().
  • functions.lua/travelpoints.get_location() - Y axis capture corrected, no more transporting half inside a node.
  • init.lua/minetest.register_chatcommand("tpggo" - Fixed comment typo.
Spoiler
1.4 2015-03-27
  • This version adds global travelpoints as requested by dgm5555.
  • This version does not break existing travelpoint collections. ABM will automatically update existing transporter pads for formspec changes.
  • init.lua - Added privilege "tpglobal".
  • functions.lua/travelpoints.get_travelpoints_table()
  • [list]
  • Added parameter "mode".
  • Added condition for opening either user's table or the global table.
[*]Updated all calls to travelpoints.get_travelpoints_table().[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.save_travelpoints_table()[/*]
[*]Updated all calls to travelpoints.save_travelpoints_table().[/*]
[*]init.lua - Added chat command "tpgset".[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.get_travelpoints_array()[/*]
[*]Updated all calls to travelpoints.get_travelpoints_array().[/*]
[*]init.lua - Added chat command "tpggo".[/*]
[*]init.lua - Added chat command "tpgdrop".[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.get_formspec()[/*]
  • Renamed button "List Travelpoints" to "My Travelpoints".
  • Added button "Global Travelpoints".
  • Removed button "Save" (Saves automatically with each modification.)
  • Added button "Exit".
  • Moved timestamp and modstamp text.
  • Added text for mod version.
[*]Mod now requires at least version 0.4.10 of Minetest for changes in formspec.[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.on_destruct() Added[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.after_place_node() Added[/*]
[*][/*]functions.lua/travelpoints.on_receive_fields() Added[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.can_dig() Added[/*]
[*]nodes.lua[/*]
  • Transporter_pad definition now uses shared call backs.
  • Transporter_pad_active definition now uses shared call backs.
[*]Players with "server" privilege can now dig active transporter.[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.get_infotext() - Removed "Placed by " text, now just shows pad owner's name in parentheses.[/*]
[*]Added version and source meta tags to pad nodes.[/*]
[*]nodes.lua - ABM now updates old pads for changes in meta data.[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.set_pad_destination() Added[/*]
[*]functions.lua/travelpoints.get_travelpoints_array() no longer prepends 'none' to the travelpoints array.[/*]
[*]Removed all "- 1" math that compensated for the extra index in the travelpoints array.[/*]
[*]init.lua - Chat command "/travelpoints", fixed display for those with server privilege.[/*]
[*]readme.txt[/*]
  • Rewrote "About Travelpoints" section.
  • Added chat commands "/tpgset", "/tpggo" and "/tpgdrop".
  • Fixed minor errors.
[/list]

1.3 2015-03-24
  • This version is preparing the project for GitHub and addressing minor issues.
  • Changed email address in all files: racsorhodes@gmail.com
  • config.lua - Fixed some wording in "About Config", including a reference to the old name of this mod.
  • readme.txt - Changed wording and corrected spelling.
  • Renamed sound file "pad_teleport.ogg" to "travelpoints_pad_teleport.ogg".
  • nodes.lua - Updated ABM definition for the change in the sound file name.
  • Various spelling corrections.
  • readme.txt - Updated with GitHub URLs.
1.2 2013-12-21
  • Textures are now hard coded in node definitions as suggested by "addi".
  • Removed function travelpoints.get_node_textures()
  • Removed texture resolution setting from config.lua.
  • Removed texture validation from travelpoints.validate_config()
  • Updated texture information in readme.txt.
  • Changed screenshot, no longer showing version number.

1.1 2013-12-20
  • Renamed project from "Waypoints" to "Travelpoints".
  • Renamed all functions and wording to match change in mod name.
  • Replaced calls to minetest.env:get_player_by_name() to minetest.get_player_by_name()
  • Various minor fixes, typos and the like.
  • Replaced call to minetest.env:get_objects_inside_radius() with minetest.get_objects_inside_radius()
  • Changed readme.txt to reflect the rebranding.
  • Improved the description and General Usage to more clearly explainwhat this mod does.
  • Changed placement of "Last Modified" on formspec.
  • Changed screenshot.

1.0 2013-12-16
  • Initial release.
[/list][/list]

Recipes

Spoiler
travelpoints:transporter_pad

travelpoints:pad_light

travelpoints:receiver_pad

default:mese_crystal 10

default:mese_crystal 2

default:mese_crystal

Last edited by RacsoRhodes on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40, edited 6 times in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Though Sokomine made something similar (the travelnets mod,) this mod is a good alternative. I hope that people will test this.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Neat little mod!

Heh... spoiler alert.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Do you know what "waypoints" are?

They are positions for ie a mob to go to.

It goes to the first one, then the second one, etc.

Is you mod like this?
(Can you only go in order)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Do you know what "waypoints" are?

They are positions for ie a mob to go to.

It goes to the first one, then the second one, etc.

Is you mod like this?
(Can you only go in order)
I may have poorly chosen a name for this mod in retrospect.

The term waypoint came to mind as a location to mark your progress, so here, marking places you've been to and providing a means to return to that point.

I couldn't call it "Bookmarks", because a mod named that exists and this does more than simply bookmark a location. Or "Teleporters", as that name is also taken, and doesn't fully describe this mod's functionality. I don't think "Transporters" is taken, but that doesn't really define what this does either.

If there is further resistance to this name I suppose I could find something else to call it.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A good, descriptive modname is sometimes difficult to come up with. It's important for users looking for it. Perhaps the mod could be named "advanced teleporters"? Or "beaming"? Even that wouldn't describe everything.
A list of my mods can be found here.

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

Sokomine wrote:A good, descriptive modname is sometimes difficult to come up with. It's important for users looking for it. Perhaps the mod could be named "advanced teleporters"? Or "beaming"? Even that wouldn't describe everything.
Thanks for the input. Thursday night I had decided to change the name and much of Friday I poured through the code to change everything.

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

Travelpoints 1.1

Rebranded the mod, and fixed a few minor things.

I'm hung up on the term 'point' for a point in 3D space, a coordinate, location, position etc.

travelpoints_mod_v1_1_-_2013-12-20.zip

I'm not aware of anyone using Waypoints 1.0 so I didn't bother making a conversion function for the saved data, but I can make one if there is need.

If there are no other suggestions in the next few days I'll request having this moved to "Mod Releases".

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

about the way you set the texture.

you have a config in your mod and the nodedefinition is generated dependend what resoulution is set in the config.

so, if this mod is used on a multiplayer server it breaks compatibility with the texture packs wich are used client side.
if a texture pack will support your mod it must have a lot of texture with the same resolution but diffrent names.

it must have 10 textures for each resolution (16, 32, 64, 128, 256,512) thats 6 diffrent resolutions. so if a texture pack will support it it needs to have 10x6 = 60 textures only for support this mod!

my sugestion is: use a static nodedefinition with one resolution (16x16 by default), and send your other textures to the creators of the texture pack and ask they for supporting your mod.

than the texture wich is displayed is depended on the texture pack you using, and not the config of the server.

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

addi wrote:about the way you set the texture.

you have a config in your mod and the nodedefinition is generated dependend what resoulution is set in the config.

so, if this mod is used on a multiplayer server it breaks compatibility with the texture packs wich are used client side.
if a texture pack will support your mod it must have a lot of texture with the same resolution but diffrent names.

it must have 10 textures for each resolution (16, 32, 64, 128, 256,512) thats 6 diffrent resolutions. so if a texture pack will support it it needs to have 10x6 = 60 textures only for support this mod!

my sugestion is: use a static nodedefinition with one resolution (16x16 by default), and send your other textures to the creators of the texture pack and ask they for supporting your mod.

than the texture wich is displayed is depended on the texture pack you using, and not the config of the server.
Thank you, I have no experience with multiplayer in this game so that never occurred to me. I'll fix that right away.

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

Travelpoints 1.2 2013-12-21
  • Textures are now hard coded in node definitions as suggested by "addi".
  • Removed function travelpoints.get_node_textures()
  • Removed texture resolution setting from config.lua.
  • Removed texture validation from travelpoints.validate_config()
  • Updated texture information in readme.txt.
  • Changed screenshot, no longer showing version number.
travelpoints_mod_v1_2_-_2013-12-21.zip

addi

by addi » Post

found a small bug:

place a t-pad and set a destination
remove that destination
if you go on the t-pad it will teleport you to that deleted destination :/

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

addi wrote:found a small bug:

place a t-pad and set a destination
remove that destination
if you go on the t-pad it will teleport you to that deleted destination :/

I can't reproduce that. The same ABM that handles the pad teleportation also changes the pad from active to offline, perhaps you are seeing a lag in the change. When the destination is unset the pad's top texture should go dim.

If you are referring to /tpdrop, then pads are intended to be independent of your travelpoints list once a destination is set.

For instance: /tpset forest -> *place t-pad* -> *set destination to "forest* -> /tpdrop forest -> (pad is intended to still work, as it is independent) To unset a pad right click it and hit the 'Unset Destination' button.

If it is neither of these cases, let me know which version of Minetest you are running and I'll try to reproduce it.

addi

by addi » Post

RacsoRhodes wrote:For instance: /tpset forest -> *place t-pad* -> *set destination to "forest* -> /tpdrop forest -> (pad is intended to still work, as it is independent) To unset a pad right click it and hit the 'Unset Destination' button.
i mean this case.

and on a multiplayer server if the t-pad belongs to another player you cant unset this.
(exept the server admin)

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

addi wrote: i mean this case.

and on a multiplayer server if the t-pad belongs to another player you cant unset this.
(exept the server admin)
That is also intended behavior. If person A places a pad, person B should not be able to change the destination, because it is for person A to decide where it goes and who can use it. If person B is able to change it, then it would be no use to person A.

The intention with these are semi-static teleporter pads for the places the player travels most often, so they don't have to use chat commands so much. The owner can change the destination if he or she needs to, but largely it should stay set to one location, so all the player has too do is walk on it and be teleported.

dgm5555

Re: [Mod] Travelpoints [1.2] [travelpoints]

by dgm5555 » Post

Bizarrely (given the name change) I've been looking for ages for a 'waypoints' system for minetest, and never thought to search for travelpoints. Any chance you could add in the title "(was waypoints)" to help searchers like me.
I don't understand why waypoint in the forum search doesn't bring up this post.

Also any chance of a github upload?

PS why bother with the massive platform images cluttering up the post, wouldn't the smallest thumbnail work fine, or perhaps hide them as a spoiler if you really must include them?

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

is this mod resource intensive?

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

I've just (hopefully) completed integration of my mapit mod to show travelpoints (since I thought your mod was so cool). See the post here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9219. Cheers David

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

dgm5555 wrote:Also any chance of a github upload?
I'll look into it, never used it before. I only learned LUA just to make this mod.
dgm5555 wrote:PS why bother with the massive platform images cluttering up the post, wouldn't the smallest thumbnail work fine, or perhaps hide them as a spoiler if you really must include them?
All the images were hidden, but seems I've been away a while and in that time they changed forum software.

Seems I just had to push "Edit" and "Submit" for the spoiler blocks to work again.
CWz wrote:is this mod resource intensive?
I have not noticed any issues yet, but I am a solo player. I have no idea how this system would impact a public server.
dgm5555 wrote:I've just (hopefully) completed integration of my mapit mod to show travelpoints (since I thought your mod was so cool). See the post here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9219. Cheers David
That is an impressive mod, nice work!

Sorry I've not been back here in a while, didn't even know anyone was using this mod. The name doesn't help, I wanted to give it a simple one word name. I should have just called it "Racso's Location Bookmarks and Teleport Pads".

I just noticed a new version of Minetest came out, I'll see if this mod needs to be updated for it.

--Racso

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I can already confirm that there is no problem using this mod in Minetest 0.4.10. I also have played on a relatively small server that uses it, and it works very fast, pretty much the only lag involved is receiving the data for the mapblock the point to be teleported to is within. If both ends of the teleport are already loaded, it barely takes a second for the teleport to take place.

Favorite teleport mod. :D
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:I can already confirm that there is no problem using this mod in Minetest 0.4.10. I also have played on a relatively small server that uses it, and it works very fast, pretty much the only lag involved is receiving the data for the mapblock the point to be teleported to is within. If both ends of the teleport are already loaded, it barely takes a second for the teleport to take place.

Favorite teleport mod. :D
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, and glad you like it!

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

l just tried to use a travelpoint on a server but then the server shut down.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:l just tried to use a travelpoint on a server but then the server shut down.
I use travelpoints on a server/client setup and no crashes (0.4.11 on Ubuntu 14.04 as server and windows 7 client).
The only annoying thing is there's no way of defining a global set of travel points. it would be nice if there could be a global.tpt table which all players had access to. And perhaps a priviledge to create travelpoints in that table. As it is you have to manually copy the tps between tables.

RacsoRhodes

by RacsoRhodes » Post

dgm5555 wrote:I use travelpoints on a server/client setup and no crashes (0.4.11 on Ubuntu 14.04 as server and windows 7 client).
The only annoying thing is there's no way of defining a global set of travel points. it would be nice if there could be a global.tpt table which all players had access to. And perhaps a priviledge to create travelpoints in that table. As it is you have to manually copy the tps between tables.
That is doable.

I'm currently in the process of moving, once complete I will get back into this, adding that global feature and placing the mod on github.

--Racso

RacsoRhodes

Re: [Mod] Travelpoints [1.3] [travelpoints]

by RacsoRhodes » Post

Version 1.3
  • This version is preparing the project for GitHub and addressing minor issues.
  • Changed email address in all files: racsorhodes@gmail.com
  • config.lua - Fixed some wording in "About Config", including a reference to the old name of this mod.
  • readme.txt - Changed wording and corrected spelling.
  • Renamed sound file "pad_teleport.ogg" to "travelpoints_pad_teleport.ogg".
  • nodes.lua - Updated ABM definition for the change in the sound file name.
  • Various spelling corrections.
  • readme.txt - Updated with GitHub URLs.
Also reorganized the thread OP, removing most of the fluff.

Now I'm going to start working on the global system requested by dgm5555.

--Racso