Porting Minetest onto the NintendoDS

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

Porting Minetest onto the NintendoDS

by Jordach » Post

I just saw DSCraft and would like to see this on my own NintendoDS; I have tried it on my own (using a SuperCard Lite Rumble) and it fails; what I might try to do, is make Irrlicht work on both screens.

I might write a key changer.

So whaddya you guys think, comprende?

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Let me put it this way:

Minetest - at least minetest-c55 will never be able to run on a console. Never. Ever. On the other hand, minetest-compatible clients could run on consoles; it's just a matter of hacking on the functionality to an existing "game".
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

CTMN

by CTMN » Post

The c++ code would have to be compiled for the NDS and thats easy. But I dont know if there is such a graphics lib for the NDS.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

CTMN wrote:The c++ code would have to be compiled for the NDS and thats easy. But I dont know if there is such a graphics lib for the NDS.
It COULD work on DSLINUX, however, I doubt it; would be cool though to have it out of the house and not carry a laptop around all day.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

Jordach wrote:
CTMN wrote:The c++ code would have to be compiled for the NDS and thats easy. But I dont know if there is such a graphics lib for the NDS.
It COULD work on DSLINUX, however, I doubt it; would be cool though to have it out of the house and not carry a laptop around all day.
Do you have the GBA slot memory card? Otherwise DSLINUX can't do much. The memory of the DS is quite awful. DSLINUX without added memory was only good for sshing for me...
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Good luck fitting even the minetest.exe in 4mb of RAM and 67MHz of processing power :P

You might be able to get maybe 0.08 FPS if you use a very aggressive paging scheme, but the IO overhead would make it more like 0.0001 FPS.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Temperest wrote:Good luck fitting even the minetest.exe in 4mb of RAM and 67MHz of processing power :P

You might be able to get maybe 0.08 FPS if you use a very aggressive paging scheme, but the IO overhead would make it more like 0.0001 FPS.
I own whats called a Super Card (http://supercard.sc) this allows me to use homebrew etc.... without flashing.

I am been able to assign 500mb from a microSD card. Just to use as swap, and the top card I am also able to supply 256mb of swap; I should suppose that could work (I own several 2gb microSD cards.)

I also semise flashing it for an overclock, however stupid this sounds.

CTMN

by CTMN » Post

Do you mean that the SD card would be the RAM? That would make it even more slow.

So the only solve is... ASSEMBLER

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

What I do know about the NDS is only one screen has 3D processor... the top screen. So you would have to address menu options, inventory, furnane to the bottom screen. Maybe the debug screen.

Mods, world, would have to be directed to external memory aka SD card. I lost track of the person I knew who had DS programming experience.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

wouldn't it make more sense to port to android or ios, where the devices are more powerful and getting more powerful all the time? Also would be great exposure for minetest to be available in those marketplaces.

I don't know jack about programming for either, but i would really love to play minetest on my mobile devices. =)

IthegeekRS

by IthegeekRS » Post

tinoesroho wrote:Let me put it this way:

Minetest - at least minetest-c55 will never be able to run on a console. Never. Ever. On the other hand, minetest-compatible clients could run on consoles; it's just a matter of hacking on the functionality to an existing "game".
Actually, I can simply develop a console friendly version if I make the console.

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

3.D.S!!!!!!!!!!!

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Sorry if I sound angry, but I've never seen any reason to have MT/FM ported to consoles.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

cornernote wrote:wouldn't it make more sense to port to android or ios, where the devices are more powerful and getting more powerful all the time? Also would be great exposure for minetest to be available in those marketplaces.

I don't know jack about programming for either, but i would really love to play minetest on my mobile devices. =)
They already have it for Android, it's called Worldcraft.
Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mcc457 wrote:
cornernote wrote:wouldn't it make more sense to port to android or ios, where the devices are more powerful and getting more powerful all the time? Also would be great exposure for minetest to be available in those marketplaces.

There is no official minetest app on android.
Back from the dead!

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Did anyone bother to see the date of last post before it was bumped?
2012-09-13 21:04:09
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Mcc457 wrote:

Worldcraft/buildcraft was illegally posted. It does not follow the share-alike clause of the Minetest license.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Worldcraft/buildcraft was illegally posted. It does not follow the share-alike clause of the Minetest license.
Someone pointed out that Minetest is under the GNU LGPL, and the publisher of the Android Minetest circumvented copyleft by technically making a compatibility layer that loads Minetest like a library.

Unless the analysis is wrong, this is just an example of why you shouldn't recklessly apply weak copyleft to everything in lieu of strong copyleft.
Last edited by onpon4 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 19:45, edited 1 time in total.