pdvrosado

by pdvrosado » Post

Last edited by pdvrosado on Fri Jul 13, 2018 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Type /mods in the in-game chat to find the list of mods used by the server.

Also, welcome to Minetest!
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

That is because people edit original mods for their servers, really it is more up to the server host to list in the servers section of the forum. The wiki is more an overview of the vanilla game, features and changelogs as is the description on the main website.

Mobs are not default and are mods, so you will not find information about them on wiki but rather the mod sections. If you type /mods in chat on a server it will list the mods used on that server. From there you can search the mod name finding the mod that will most likely have a description of the content.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

pdvrosado

by pdvrosado » Post

Humm I see, the mobs are pretty cool. The AI is quite dumb in some aspects, but still, they look good. Is there any way to implement the mobs directly in the game? A game full of features is a game full of bugs, but all these mods would be great and a good adiction if they could be added to the main game :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

From your description, the mobs you encountered might be from the simple mobs mod. Another mobs mod with far more animals and functionality is mobf. The later one is seldom found on servers but great for singleplayer. You can distinguish the two by right-clicking on a sheep: If it gives wool, it is simple mobs; if not (=i.e. you need to wield sheers), it is mobf.
pdvrosado wrote: On the server I play, I see some strange yellow day walkers, that girl from the ring movie in the caves and mummies. Not to mention sheep in the hills and plains.
The yellow guys will most likely be sand mobs. They have relatives that consist of dirt or stone as well. And deep down in caves, there might be very hostile dungeon masters who shoot fireballs at you.
Mummies - if found in pyramids - might be from the [url=ttps://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7063]pyramids[/url] mod.

pdvrosado wrote: Is there a way to get detailed info about the items, structures, biomes, mobs, etc. Present in the game?
Most servers do have some sort of craft guide installed where you can find all items and their reciepes.
A list of my mods can be found here.

pdvrosado

by pdvrosado » Post

thanks :) but what about adding them to the game instead of making it just a mod?

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

pdvrosado wrote:thanks :) but what about adding them to the game instead of making it just a mod?
The game engine and vanilla game aims to be lightweight, portable and bugfree. So, mobs are not included, which have all three properties.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

pdvrosado wrote:thanks :) but what about adding them to the game instead of making it just a mod?
All content such as blocks?, tools, craftitems, etc, is added using mods. The game comes with a pre-installed bunch of mods called minetest_game. If you deleted that the game world would be a vacuum.

The craft guide will probably never be added to the engine (minetest executable, c++ code) but might be included in minetest_game in the future.

Mobs will never be added to the engine, but an api might be added. Mobs would be created in mods using this API .
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Okay, one reason is because entities are still incredibly buggy(which are what create mobs). Another reason is they aren't very lightweight, and they aren't very stable either. Still, welcome to Minetest! I hope you enjoy your stay.
Last edited by Evergreen on Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Okay, one reason is because entities are still incredibly buggy(which are what create mobs). Another reason is they aren't very lightweight, and they aren't very stable either. Still, welcome to Minetest! I hope you enjoy your stay.
Evergreen, that is exactly what I said.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

There is no content at all in the Minetest engine. What you refer to as "the game" is actually called minetest_game, which is only one of several games that run on the Minetest engine (it just happens to be shipped by default with the engine).
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Jan 07, 2014 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Evergreen wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
There is no content at all in the Minetest engine. What you refer to as "the game" is actually called minetest_game, which is only one of several games that run on the Minetest engine (it just happens to be shipped by default with the engine).
Sorry, want me to delete it? :P
Now look! You quoted the wrong thing!

pdvrosado

by pdvrosado » Post

Ok, what about all mods being loaded and added into the game by default? for example, you can have linux with any kind of desktop you want. So why can't all mods be added by default (instead of having a tab to choose the ones who work), but the game itself is left intact? most people have different mods, this would be a way of improving mods in teh same way though feedback and uniformising all mods on the game or all game content.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

pdvrosado wrote:Ok, what about all mods being loaded and added into the game by default? for example, you can have linux with any kind of desktop you want. So why can't all mods be added by default (instead of having a tab to choose the ones who work), but the game itself is left intact? most people have different mods, this would be a way of improving mods in teh same way though feedback and uniformising all mods on the game or all game content.
Personally i think there is way too many mods and cant possibly add them all to the mods directory as default. Adding selected mods to be used for default will probably start a fight on Minetest about who's mod's should be added so i doubt that would work either.

Alot of mods will conflict so are useless with others and active mods still receive updates. It really is easier and less of a PITA to just download and add the mods you want.

Having said that there is a download manager in the mods tab

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Dopium wrote:
pdvrosado wrote:Ok, what about all mods being loaded and added into the game by default? for example, you can have linux with any kind of desktop you want. So why can't all mods be added by default (instead of having a tab to choose the ones who work), but the game itself is left intact? most people have different mods, this would be a way of improving mods in teh same way though feedback and uniformising all mods on the game or all game content.
Personally i think there is way too many mods and cant possibly add them all to the mods directory as default. Adding selected mods to be used for default will probably start a fight on Minetest about who's mod's should be added so i doubt that would work either.

Alot of mods will conflict so are useless with others and active mods still receive updates. It really is easier and less of a PITA to just download and add the mods you want.

I think he means that, when a mod is tossed into the folder, it is enabled by default. Not that it should download all mods and install them.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

Still this can't be done due to conflicting mods.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

SegFault22 wrote:
Dopium wrote:

I think he means that, when a mod is tossed into the folder, it is enabled by default. Not that it should download all mods and install them.
I thought he meant more along the lines of downloading a minetest build with all the mods added so you can activate the ones you want for a map and don't have to search or install them.

pdvrosado

by pdvrosado » Post

Dopium wrote:
SegFault22 wrote:
Dopium wrote:

I thought he meant more along the lines of downloading a minetest build with all the mods added so you can activate the ones you want for a map and don't have to search or install them.

It's more like that, yeah. The game core is updated apart from the mods, but the mods are all enabled by default and come with the game itself. The problem of the bugs and stability could be solved by having two branches:

Minetest stable or current + stable mods (stable mods chosen and voted by the community to integrate the game - all of them count as only 1 big mod)

Minetest stable + beta mods (the stable minetest but with a big mod of a whole set of new features still fresh and buggy).

This way the game core would still be the same and could be developed to correct bugs (stable version) and the mods could be developed without affecting the game itself (I do not take the beta/development version of the game core into account, I don't know if there is another version besides the current stable)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

I fear Minetest is not designed, created and build the way you think.

You may not have noticed but there may very well be hundreds of mods. Check this page http://servers.minetest.net/ and hover with the mouse over the entries in the "Version, Gameid, MapGen" column to see the mod collections used on different servers.

A game with all mods would take very long to load, even in singleplayer, would lag a lot and have multiple conflicting issues. That is if creating such a collection is possible at all, which I doubt as not all mods are stored in a single place, not all are on Github. I don't believe creating a list with all mods is an easy task let alone a list with only those that work with the most recent build of Minetest, not to speak of all the forks created in the past.

Besides that some mods are designed for speciall games such as those present on the "King-Arthur's Land" server or those included in "mod collections" (aka "Minetest Games") Realtest, Eden or OCD.

Some mods try to solve the same problem such as those containing Crafting Guides, you would have to know which mods don't work well together. There is no database with such information.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Yeah, there are many different mods that can change things in different ways. One might make desert stone drop the mod's variant of "desert cobblestone", while another mod could do the same thing or make it drop something else.

However, we could make a launcher-device, similar to Minecraft's Tekkit/Technic or FTB, which has pre-built mod-packs that can be downloaded and played relatively easily. And since all mods in Minetest aren't commercialized or for-profit in any way, nobody would get angry about their mods being put into a pack like that, unless they are just ignorant (or stupid) and don't understand that it actually makes their mod more popular.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

SegFault22 wrote: nobody would get angry about their mods being put into a pack like that, unless they are just ignorant (or stupid) and don't understand that it actually makes their mod more popular.
unless there is zero credit... or they don't undterstand the DWTFYW Public license they published it as.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

The fight/"angry" part i was talking about is rather everyone WANTS their mod included in the pack NOT they will dislike it. Seems to be continuous miss communication going on here.

pdvrosado

by pdvrosado » Post

Im just saying that a game is developed by a community of developers and fans, and the game must follow a direction. The game can't just be a sandbox forever and be left behind in terms of updates in gameplay itself.

A community driven game is something that brings more fans, users, players and developers, so building more than just a sandbox game could be a key to the survival of an open-source game. How many games and programs have I seen got left behind because they weren't updated in years and people just said: oh fuck it? (not to mention not open-source games, payed games that failed because developers weren't paying attention to the game community).

The point is, the engine itself should be updated like it has been so far (physics and bug correction), but there should be more development of big mods instead of lots of mods. 1st, to end game segregation and having a lot of stuff that doesn't work at all or can't work alongside, and 2nd to bring a closer feel to the game as a whole game. It's hard to define the identity of something if there is no identity at all, just a bunch of characteristics and traits put in together.

Minetest can be a lot more than Minecraft ever was, just needs a proper direction of its own, instead of just adding stuff atop one another.

I'm a psychologist, not a game developer. I understand how people / groups work, and mostly, organizations themselves, so this is a executive / consumer approach point of view. I'm here not to criticize, but to give feedback on what I think of a game that I really enjoy and that I do not want to see lost in an old repo because the community just said: oh fuck it! to the game...

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

pdvrosado wrote:Im just saying that a game is developed by a community of developers and fans, and the game must follow a direction. The game can't just be a sandbox forever and be left behind in terms of updates in gameplay itself.

A community driven game is something that brings more fans, users, players and developers, so building more than just a sandbox game could be a key to the survival of an open-source game. How many games and programs have I seen got left behind because they weren't updated in years and people just said: oh fuck it? (not to mention not open-source games, payed games that failed because developers weren't paying attention to the game community).

The point is, the engine itself should be updated like it has been so far (physics and bug correction), but there should be more development of big mods instead of lots of mods. 1st, to end game segregation and having a lot of stuff that doesn't work at all or can't work alongside, and 2nd to bring a closer feel to the game as a whole game. It's hard to define the identity of something if there is no identity at all, just a bunch of characteristics and traits put in together.

Minetest can be a lot more than Minecraft ever was, just needs a proper direction of its own, instead of just adding stuff atop one another.

I'm a psychologist, not a game developer. I understand how people / groups work, and mostly, organizations themselves, so this is a executive / consumer approach point of view. I'm here not to criticize, but to give feedback on what I think of a game that I really enjoy and that I do not want to see lost in an old repo because the community just said: oh fuck it! to the game...
You are right. What the developers say though is "Let the communiry make the mods and extensions.". That is true, but it would be nice to have a more featureful engine as well as subgames.
Back from the dead!

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

I think you didn't get main point.. Point of minetest is AFAIK to provide engine with enough freedom to create any voxel game. This is already started and going in right direction. There are few limitations, but I hope they will be fixed in future.

Creating of games and mods is mostly based on community. And IMO it is good way. There is enough freedom to imagine something and start to code that. Especially if you publish it after coding so your mod/game can be inspiration or good addition for others.

Mods and games are already separate projects with own comunity around so you don't have any chance to control it from some centralized point. It is opensource so you can fork that mod, and take care about it.. But there is so many good mods and there is not possible to fork every good mod and maintain it to follow yor way.. Best what you can do is just pick some mods, modify them to fit your needs and create game from it.. There is no chance to force mod developers to follow some way which is controlled from some "central".
Last edited by Pitriss on Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.