[Fun] What makes you happy?

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

[Fun] What makes you happy?

by Casimir » Post

This topic is to express what recent changes to minetest make you happy (and those that make you very happy).

I'll start! So first thing is that spawning particles is now possible with the API. And the flolands, and the dungeons, and the jungles, and over all that the game develops so fast.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

LuaJit. And the game type split
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Everyrhing with how far and fast the game is developing, the popping up of more PvP servers(moto needs better connection), and finally sleep.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

I like the common area for plugins shared by games. I don't think it's the best system (a better system would have ALL plugins in the same directory, and have the desired ones reference from the game files (In other words, there would be no plugins that are only accessible from one game)), but this is a HUGE step in the right direction. No longer do you have to include a copy of most of the default plugins in your custom game.
Casimir wrote:This topic is to express what recent changes to minetest make you happy (and those that make you very happy).

I'll start! So first thing is that spawning particles is now possible with the API. And the flolands, and the dungeons, and the jungles, and over all that the game develops so fast.
Floating islands, dungeons, and jungles are all awesome.
rarkenin wrote:LuaJit. And the game type split
Depending on how the new game split is implemented, it could be a very good thing, or a very bad thing. Being paranoid, I always assume the worst (such as that certain games (the build game) will get left behind in development), but it will now I can work on that, without worrying about how it might be turned down based on how it will impact survival servers. Hopefully, that will make life better for us builders.

However, it also probably means an end to the possibility of mixed server. By taking the build route, we probably won't have monsters to fight at any time as those will likely only be in the survival game, which will be sad.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Sun Mar 24, 2013 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Oh yes, the jungles are great. Not as great as those special 4-thrunk-wide jungletrees but good to have nonetheless! Especially with those junglewood textures in the game and now much better accessible (there can't be moretrees on every server, and even those don't have roots).
The dungeons and other map gen options are also very fun and helpful. And that there are appletrees in the game now. And the grass. And mapgen seems to have gotten faster.
Even the new cobble texture is good because it provides more building options. The only issue I have with that one is that the new texture changes exsisting buildings.
I'm looking forward to the new ore generation - not only due to the speedup, but also because it allows to clean up code. And the 6d facedir will be very intresting as well.
Other, not so recent but still very great and welcomed changes: 3d characters, working carts, formspecs for mobs, moretrees, nice models for mobs, lots of very intresting mods.
Redcrab came back and installed a requested mod so I don't have to get my fingers wound while travelling to those distant places some excellent builders decide to put their very good structures. Several good buildings are a joy to look at.
Uberi wrote a limited worldedit that will hopefully fascilitate building on creative servers in the future.
I certainly forgot a lot. The fact that I sometimes complain ought not to be mistaken for not beeing satisfied and happy by most things :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Oh, I forgot to mention, I love that slabs are finally fixed to not be black holes of materials. Three blocks now become six slabs, which go back to being three blocks. I've been wanting that fixed for ages.
Sokomine wrote:Even the new cobble texture is good because it provides more building options. The only issue I have with that one is that the new texture changes exsisting buildings.
Yeah, I've thought about that. I think it's a great change for new worlds, but I'm considering how it will impact the tunnel I'm building. Perhaps I'm continue building in cobble, is which case it will be no big deal, but perhaps I'll switch to the new stone bricks to keep the current look. But If I do that, there will be these odd lines int the tunnel, where one side has cobble, the other tone bricks.

I'll probably keep the cobble though. I'm already behind schedule, I don't have time to cook a bunch of stone to make stone bricks.
Sokomine wrote: And the 6d facedir will be very intresting as well.
Oh, it's very interesting. Try using the screwdriver on all sorts of things. My favorites are doors (especially steel, which you can bypass with the screwdriver) and full nodes (chests, furnaces, et cetera).

YoYoBuddy

by YoYoBuddy » Post

None, frankly. I'm just happy with life, *puts on monologue music* what is our purpose here, really? All most of us ever do is play this game all day. Life is short, and we need to do as many things as we can, and keep our home safe for the next generation. So, I'm not gonna play until April, plenty of time to beat the elite 4 and catch em' all n' stuff.
“People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a
person, he can't be fixed."

-Rick Riordan

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What makes me happy about Minetest is that there have been great strides being made in the past few weeks to improve the engine, especially its performance, and add new features that we all can use in some way.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

VanessaE wrote:What makes me happy about Minetest is that there have been great strides being made in the past few weeks to improve the engine, especially its performance, and add new features that we all can use in some way.
That is hat i have beenwaiting for a long time. When i relized how far we cane within a couple weeks it felt lie i got a birthday present
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Well, really love all of these changes, but none of them really appeal to me as something I can mess with.

Someone hurry up and implemnt a HUD api and make chat handled by lua!
kthxbai

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Traxie21 wrote:Well, really love all of these changes, but none of them really appeal to me as something I can mess with.

Someone hurry up and implemnt a HUD api and make chat handled by lua!
kthxbai
That would be awesome. I know others dont like hunger but think about how you could have upgrades to weapons not enchanting but taking tools to the forge to upgrade or maybe make sharper.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

As well as notifications of all sorts, achievements, counters, identifiers, radar, minimaps, admin monitoring tools, etc.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 91322d96b7

Code: Select all

minetest.override_item(name, redefinition)
^ Overrides fields of an item registered with register_node/tool/craftitem.
^ Note: Item must already be defined, (opt)depend on the mod defining it.
^ Example: minetest.override_item("default:mese", {light_source=LIGHT_MAX})
Hurray!

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Casimir wrote:https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 91322d96b7

minetest.override_item(name, redefinition)
^ Overrides fields of an item registered with register_node/tool/craftitem.
^ Note: Item must already be defined, (opt)depend on the mod defining it.
^ Example: minetest.override_item("default:mese", {light_source=LIGHT_MAX})
Hurray!
That's just a lua function: you could have done that before.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

This is a bit old, but....

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/988?source=cc

minetest.rotate_node(itemstack, placer, pointed_thing)
^ calls rotate_and_place() with infinitestacks set according to the state of
  the creative mode setting, and checks for "sneak" to set the invert_wall
  parameter.
Hurrah! Also, 6 directional logs and cacti are in minetest_game with this feature.
Last edited by Evergreen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

Misty

by Misty » Post

A few things I love about Minetest:
1.I love that Minetest exists, and I get to play it once in a while.
2. I love that the player/development community is so open, generous and friendly.
griefing is comparatively rare, and almost no one ever says "read the wiki ...NOOB!"
when you ask about something.
3. I love that new features are constantly appearing and making the game more fun and interesting.
4. I love that I can add simple nodes with my own mod, if I can just figure out how to make them work.
5. logs that can be placed directionally are nice.

Things I dont love:
1. drowning
2. The framerate counter recently disappeared from my game window, I hate that.
I found it helpful.
3. My npcs and animals are constantly being deleted.
4. sometimes I manage to break things, and then cant figure out how I went wrong so that I can fix it. :P
Certified 100% signature Virus free.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Misty wrote:A few things I love about Minetest:
1.I love that Minetest exists, and I get to play it once in a while.
2. I love that the player/development community is so open, generous and friendly.
griefing is comparatively rare, and almost no one ever says "read the wiki ...NOOB!"
when you ask about something.
3. I love that new features are constantly appearing and making the game more fun and interesting.
4. I love that I can add simple nodes with my own mod, if I can just figure out how to make them work.
5. logs that can be placed directionally are nice.

Things I dont love:
1. drowning
2. The framerate counter recently disappeared from my game window, I hate that.
I found it helpful.
3. My npcs and animals are constantly being deleted.
4. sometimes I manage to break things, and then cant figure out how I went wrong so that I can fix it. :P
FPS can be seen on top of your game window when you press F5 :)

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

FPS was removed from the window title bar because it actually negatively affects the game's frame rate on some window managers by putting it there (the frequent FPS updates require CPU and/or GPU time to update, which takes away time the game could be using to update the actual world display).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

rubenwardy wrote:That's just a lua function: you could have done that before.
I know, but the old way was ugly. Now we have a small and clean function.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Topic wrote:[Fun] What makes you happy?
The new win32 build by BlockMen makes my happy.
There are alot fails fixed which appeared with the first 0.4.9 release :)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Josh

by Josh » Post

Minetest has come along way since October 2010.
I really like the community and how the engine has been improved, the mods, more gameplay stability, and bugfixes.
I also love how they made the menu all flashy with the tabs and stuff, it makes minetest much more easier to use.
Thankyou to all he Minetest devs and community, lets keep this game going :)

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

Progress... Progress makes me happy. :)
Because if there is progress made, then eventually things will be added to the game. And if things are added to the game then that makes for a more fun survival mode. And I am looking forward to a good survival mode.
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/