Minetest on Steam

cornernote

Minetest on Steam

by cornernote » Post

Hey everyone,

For a while I been playing a lot of games on Steam. They have a free-to-play section that Minetest would be perfect for.

To get a game onto Steam costs a once-off $100, and is voted in by the community More info

If the game was on Steam, it would be a huge (like really really huge) boost to the community population, however there are a few considerations:
  • Can the servers handle the volume of players that may join, or at least limit the players so servers dont die?
  • Is the game ready (stable, easy to use, etc) for usage from types of people that will come from Steam?
  • Any other considerations you can think of?

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Yaay cornernote is back!!!

Hmm, Steam will indeed launch this game into awesomeness, but are we ready yet? We haven't fixed the camera, lighting, gravity, or entities completely yet. And it doesn't look like it could be done in this very year. I don't think we are, of yet, ready for the green light.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

I don't know much about the Steam community, but my guess is Minetest isn't ready for that audience. I'm sure a lot of them would compare it to Minecraft in a negative way: no mobs, not as many servers, a lot of servers being slow, etc. I don't imagine they would experiment very much with mods, either.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I don't think it should be added to Steam.

We don't gain too much by having lots of players: the community it currently fairly close.

More developers would be nice (mod/c(++)). But then more fighting and politics.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

I think we should wait at least until entities are more stable, cause if not there will be hundreds of people complaining "Why are there no mobs?", "We need mobs" etc...

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I like it when changes happen slow. That gives you the time to think about it.
Last edited by Casimir on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

more players = more developers.

simple as that.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

aldobr wrote:more players = more developers.

simple as that.
Sadly it is not as simple as that..
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I don't think minetest is ready for a mainstream audience yet.
Back from the dead!

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

theres no such thing as being ready.

you go as you go.

"You cannot know how is to be something without being that something." (I believe the original Hegel phrase was not like that, but this is a translation from the portuguese equivalent).

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Evergreen wrote:I don't think minetest is ready for a mainstream audience yet.
webdesigner97 wrote:I think we should wait at least until entities are more stable, cause if not there will be hundreds of people complaining "Why are there no mobs?", "We need mobs" etc...
Now, I don't know if the devs would like this idea, but why can't we develop the main 0.4.9 and have another minetest, developed just for those certain people mentioned above. It would be some more work, but I think the devs could pull it off (slowly).

Still , this idea might be just too much work for our already hard working devs. :)

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

simple as that.
Reality is much more complicated than that. The guys who coined the term "open source" have been claiming ever since then that free/libre and open source projects tend to involve massive collaboration, but this is usually wrong:

http://media.libreplanet.org/u/libby/m/mako/

If more players come along, a few of them might happen to be programmers who want to help develop Minetest. But you have to consider the likelihood of that. Steam is a community centered around proprietary games that often have digital restriction mechanisms, and a proprietary program with its own digital restrictions mechanisms used to download these games. This community doesn't appreciate free/libre and open source software. Even people in that community who do appreciate FLOSS will be unlikely to see the value in a Minecraft clone, because they have Minecraft. We can expect these people to just play Minetest as it is; maybe they'll add some mods if it's really easy, but most if not all of them are not going to even think of contributing to Minetest's development in any way.
Last edited by onpon4 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

onpon4 wrote:

simple as that.
Reality is much more complicated than that. The guys who coined the term "open source" have been claiming ever since then that free/libre and open source projects tend to involve massive collaboration, but this is usually wrong:

http://media.libreplanet.org/u/libby/m/mako/

If more players come along, a few of them might happen to be programmers who want to help develop Minetest. But you have to consider the likelihood of that. Steam is a community centered around proprietary games that often have digital restriction mechanisms, and a proprietary program with its own digital restrictions mechanisms used to download these games. This community doesn't appreciate free/libre and open source software. Even people in that community who do appreciate FLOSS will be unlikely to see the value in a Minecraft clone, because they have Minecraft. We can expect these people to just play Minetest as it is; maybe they'll add some mods if it's really easy, but most if not all of them are not going to even think of contributing to Minetest's development in any way.
I agree with this statement. Thank you for posting it.

I feel the need to remind people that Steam is owned by Valve, which is a big corporation. I do not want Minetest to be affiliated with an international corporation in any way, shape, nor form.
Last edited by Inocudom on Fri Jan 17, 2014 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

BlauerEisRegen

by BlauerEisRegen » Post

I think it shouldn't be on the platform because not everyone has an account and I think not everybody would like to create one... And it is much easier to download minetest from the offical webisite, you don't have to be logged in in an account or something!
propably we need some more adventure maps or servers to make the game more intresting!

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Inocudom wrote:I feel the need to remind people that Steam is owned by Valve, which is a big corporation. I do not want Minetest to be affiliated with an international corporation in any way, shape, nor form.
Why not?
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Do you know the drake equation ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Lets suppose that the ammount of persons who play games is proportional to 0.3
(Numbers are aleatory just to make a point).
Now lets suppose that from all game players, 0.2 like building games.
Now lets suppose that from all players of building games, 0.1 are programmers or artists.
Now lets suppose that from all those programmers and artists, 0.5 will want to help.

0.3 * 0.2 * 0.1 * 0.5 * N = X

Where N is the total number of persons and X is the resulting amount of people helping the game.

IE.: Make N bigger and X will become bigger too.

I cant see how can anything be different from that.
Last edited by aldobr on Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Perhaps more to the point, having more developers doesn't necessarily imply having more development, only more disagreements about how to develop.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Personally think its a great idea, like has been said before larger community equals more everything
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

Dopium wrote:Personally think its a great idea, like has been said before larger community equals more everything
Especially more problems..:D
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Dopium wrote:Personally think its a great idea, like has been said before larger community equals more everything
More close community?

More noobs.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

BlauerEisRegen wrote:I think it shouldn't be on the platform because not everyone has an account and I think not everybody would like to create one... And it is much easier to download minetest from the offical webisite, you don't have to be logged in in an account or something!
propably we need some more adventure maps or servers to make the game more intresting!
I don't see why you still can't download it from the site, just because a game may be on steam doesn't always mean you need to create an account. It is more to attract those using steam looking for games to download, steam is hugely popular and most PC titles use it.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Adding it on steam would be a good idea because,

-Many people use steam
-Minecraft isn't on steam and you know how many people are looking for a free alternative to minecraft, so it might make minetest more popular.

P.S, Welcome back cornernote!

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
More close community?

More noobs.
Got to start somewhere, everyone is a "noob" when they first join/play something. New people spark new ideas, new servers, new mods, larger development team and most of all a popular community.

As for arguments, well just like any forum there is always people that will disagree. Even at the moment every new idea suggested is a 50-50 split debate. Some wear their opinions on their sleeve others casually debate, happens everywhere.

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

As was said in previous posts, game is not ready for such a huge community and adding it as is to steam can hurt more than help. There is still a lot of needed improvements like entities etc.. So no. Adding it now will be huge fail.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

The real discussion in this topic seems to be whether Minetest should be more popular or not.