[Mod] Carts [carts]

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Stormageton wrote:it keeps talking about something to do with the init.lua.
It will be easier to help you if you try again and copy the error message (or copy it from your debug.txt file)

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

What did it say about init.lua? This is the information needed to diagnose and fix the issue.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

markbe

by markbe » Post

Exilyth wrote:Aside from carts randomly reversing direction on powered rails, it's a great mod.

Mesecon enabled track switches would be nice to have.

Edit:
Just noticed something...
When riding a cart, your head goes through nodes in a height 3 nodes above the track ;)
Here is a video of my own track showing the reversing direction issue mentioned by Exilyth. Not so random as it happens in the same places each time.
http://youtu.be/F1tNelIkoPU

I use a track configuration by VanessaE to make the cart change direction at the top of the ramp but the cart auto-reverses in three different places. Interestingly, on the last run the cart ends up above the track. This is the only time I have seen this behavior

Minetest 0.4.9; Windows 7 x64, Direct3D9 video setting; Carts from GitHub on 15thJan

markbe

by markbe » Post

markbe wrote:
Exilyth wrote:Aside from carts randomly reversing direction on powered rails, it's a great mod.

Mesecon enabled track switches would be nice to have.

Edit:
Just noticed something...
When riding a cart, your head goes through nodes in a height 3 nodes above the track ;)
Here is a video of my own track showing the reversing direction issue mentioned by Exilyth. Not so random as it happens in the same places each time.
http://youtu.be/F1tNelIkoPU

I use a track configuration by VanessaE to make the cart change direction at the top of the ramp but the cart auto-reverses in three different places. Interestingly, on the last run the cart ends up above the track. This is the only time I have seen this behavior

Minetest 0.4.9; Windows 7 x64, Direct3D9 video setting; Carts from GitHub on 15thJan
I also tried the solution posted by VK:
d.y = 0
local p = cart_func.v3:add(cart_func.v3:copy(pos), d)
if cart_func:is_rail(p) or minetest.env:get_node(p).name == "ignore" then
return d
end

but my carts left the track to the right even where there was a solid object

specopsbarton

by specopsbarton » Post

This mod is nice, thanks!
You could make the power and break rail glow a little, when mesecon signal is attached etc.
Last edited by specopsbarton on Sun Jan 26, 2014 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
True Christian don't fight with evil, but transforms it to good on Cross, only on Cross.

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

There is still no way to remove carts, isn't it?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

lightonflux wrote:There is still no way to remove carts, isn't it?
[SHIFT] + Click
Worked everytime
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

nfsprodriver

by nfsprodriver » Post

Hello!
I' got a question: How can I configure the mod, that the player doesn't get a block higher, when I activate the mod? Thanks in advance!

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Post

Krock wrote:
lightonflux wrote:There is still no way to remove carts, isn't it?
[SHIFT] + Click
Worked everytime
Thanks. Overlooked it. :)

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Post

When i drive over some powerrails the accerate me in the wrong direction (against driving direction) or don't accelerate. Sounds like a bug. Or is there a direction the power rails accelerate?

BTW: is there a formula how much powerrails you need to raise x blocks?

Edit: I made a video: http://znn.info/files/minetest-carts-bug.ogv

Sorry for the bad quality, but i think you get the point. :)
Last edited by lightonflux on Tue Jan 28, 2014 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

I think the mistake people make with carts is in making the tracks circular. I don't think this mod was designed to work that way. I've never had any problems, but then I always design my tracks to go back and forth rather than circular.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

gsmanners wrote:I think the mistake people make with carts is in making the tracks circular. I don't think this mod was designed to work that way.
Eh..... what?

@everyone else who reported the direction-change-bug: I dont have enough time to fix it currrently, sorry. Pull requests are welcome.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Sorry, you did design it for that?

Well... It doesn't really work if you have a loop. 9 times out of 10, the accelerated tracks don't push the cart the right direction, and it just looks like a mess. The only way I can ever get this to work is if I do a back-and-forth.

NyankoSensei

by NyankoSensei » Post

vk wrote:if cart_func:is_rail(p) or minetest.env:get_node(p).name == "ignore" then
Worked fine to me, really fun ride the rail :)

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I'm running minetest 0.4.9 under linux. Just tried adding mods for the first time: carts, invoice++, and zcg.

I put down some rails, and crafted a cart and dropped it on the rails. I left click the cart, and it moves! So far, AWESOME!

Then I try the following, I right click the cart to get into it, and the right click DOES link me to the cart (My point of view moves to being on top of the cart)

But now, I can't get the cart to move while I'm IN it. movement keys don't do anything (I assumed they wouldn't) But also, left clicking the cart doesn't cause the cart to move!

I put the debug level to 4 and reproduced the issue. This is the log of me right clicking the cart to get in, and then left clicking it 3 times with no movement, then right clicking to dismount. The left clicks, after I'm in the cart, show the punching message, but no movement.

Am I experiencing a bug, or is there something different I'm supposed to do to make the cart move with me in it?

Code: Select all

06:52:27: INFO[main]: Pointing at [object 4]
06:52:30: INFO[main]: Right-clicked object
06:52:30: INFO[ServerThread]: ServerMap: Written: 0 sector metadata files, 3 block files, 746 blocks in memory.
06:52:30: INFO[ServerThread]: ServerMap: Blocks modified by:
06:52:30: INFO[ServerThread]:   deactivateFarObjects: Static data changed considerably...: 3
06:52:30: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: TOSERVER_INTERACT: action=3, item=0, pointed=[object 4]
06:52:30: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer right-clicks object 4: LuaEntitySAO at (703,24,-389.905)
06:52:30: INFO[main]: Pointing at [nothing]
06:52:30: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=703,24,-387 above=703,25,-387]
06:52:30: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=703,24,-386 above=703,24,-387]
06:52:31: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=703,24,-386 above=703,25,-386]
06:52:31: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=703,24,-387 above=703,25,-387]
06:52:31: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=703,24,-388 above=703,25,-388]
06:52:31: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=703,24,-389 above=703,25,-389]
06:52:32: INFO[main]: Pointing at [object 4]
06:52:32: VERBOSE[main]: Client: time_of_day=11234 time_speed=72 dr=1000
06:52:32: INFO[main]: Client: avg_rtt=3.02448e-28
06:52:33: INFO[main]: Left-clicked object
06:52:33: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: TOSERVER_INTERACT: action=0, item=0, pointed=[object 4]
06:52:33: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer punches object 4: LuaEntitySAO at (703,24,-389.905)
06:52:33: VERBOSE[main]: OpenALSoundManager::maintain(): 2 playing sounds, 20 sound names loaded
06:52:33: VERBOSE[main]: OpenALSoundManager::maintain(): deleting 2 playing sounds
06:52:34: INFO[main]: Left-clicked object
06:52:34: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: TOSERVER_INTERACT: action=0, item=0, pointed=[object 4]
06:52:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer punches object 4: LuaEntitySAO at (703,24,-389.905)
06:52:34: VERBOSE[main]: OpenALSoundManager::maintain(): 0 playing sounds, 20 sound names loaded
06:52:35: INFO[main]: Left-clicked object
06:52:35: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: TOSERVER_INTERACT: action=0, item=0, pointed=[object 4]
06:52:35: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer punches object 4: LuaEntitySAO at (703,24,-389.905)
06:52:35: VERBOSE[main]: OpenALSoundManager::maintain(): 0 playing sounds, 20 sound names loaded
06:52:37: INFO[main]: Right-clicked object
06:52:37: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: TOSERVER_INTERACT: action=3, item=0, pointed=[object 4]
06:52:37: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer right-clicks object 4: LuaEntitySAO at (703,24,-389.905)
This is a REALLY cool mod. Any help in getting it working for me would be very appreciated.
Last edited by Kilarin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

Now, thats a bug report! :D
But (afaik) this is no bug. Just but the cart on an up/down hill slope and jump in. In case you want to have more complex mechanics there is a mod called monorail.
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:Just but the cart on an up/down hill slope and jump in.
Just tried it, and no difference in behavior. rebuilt my rails on a downhill slope. Put my cart on the slope, and right clicked to get in. no movement. left clicked on the cart while I was in it, no movement. Got out and left clicked, cart took off.
Iqualfragile wrote:In case you want to have more complex mechanics there is a mod called monorail.
I'll check it out, thanks.

klappspaten

by klappspaten » Post

Had the same "problem". Punch it first - then jump in. It's a bit tricky but one gets used to it. In monorail you can setup accelerators and switches, but this will need [mesecons] to work. Otherwise you will have to punch-jump there too while 'jump in' is like punching from a distance, so instead of left-right-click [carts] you do double-left-click.
Last edited by klappspaten on Fri Mar 14, 2014 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

klappspaten wrote:Had the same "problem". Punch it first - then jump in. It's a bit tricky but one gets used to it.
Tricky indeed, but I got it to work. thanks! Is this the way it is supposed to work?
klappspaten wrote:In monorail you can setup accelerators and switches, but this will need [mesecons] to work.
I tried turning off cart, and installing monorail, and minecraft crashed, badly. I suspect switching between the two after you have already created in game items is a BAD idea. :) So back to cart and I'm going to experiment there.

<edit>: Actually, looks like it wasn't monorail afterall. I'm having trouble with mesecons. I think I'll put off playing with that mod until I'm ready to start with a fresh map.
Last edited by Kilarin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

klappspaten

by klappspaten » Post

Kilarin wrote:Tricky indeed, but I got it to work. thanks! Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Not sure :D. But havent found another way to make them move yet.
I tried turning off cart, and installing monorail, and minecraft crashed, badly. I suspect switching between the two after you have already created in game items is a BAD idea. :) So back to cart and I'm going to experiment there.

<edit>: Actually, looks like it wasn't monorail afterall. I'm having trouble with mesecons. I think I'll put off playing with that mod until I'm ready to start with a fresh map.
I tested around a bit a while ago with both mods simultaneously but without mesecons. They DO work next to each other but not together. Both mods ignore each other's special rails but both use Minetest default rail. I finally chose monorail over carts because in singleplayer I dont care about the occasional off-drifting lorry. Carts tend to promptly stop if a chunk isnt loaded fast enough while driving at full speed, so you have to get out, punch, jump in, drive, stop, get out.... Monorail instead "stutters" til the chunk is loaded and keeps moving. If you use monorail without mesecons prepare to use a lot of speed rails and dont forget to place some block to stop you as monorail wont stop automatically at the end of a track (which carts does).
Last edited by klappspaten on Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

spillz

by spillz » Post

The first post cyptically says "This mod has also mesecon compatibility. When placing the power- or brakerail with a the mesecon mod installed, the rails will only work if they get a mesecon signal."

How do I give them a mesecon signal? (Suggest you add this to the first post)

Also removing carts from track and getting carts moving (left click, then jump in) is totally non-discoverable. My young gamers are not pleased! :)
Last edited by spillz on Sun Mar 16, 2014 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

spillz wrote: How do I give them a mesecon signal? (Suggest you add this to the first post)
Put a mesecons torch next to the power rail.

spillz

by spillz » Post

Morn76 wrote: Put a mesecons torch next to the power rail.
Every single one?

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

spillz wrote:
Morn76 wrote: Put a mesecons torch next to the power rail.
Every single one?
Yes, just like you would put redstone torches next to power rails in MC.

I'm considering doing a fork of the carts mod so you would need fewer power rails per distance. Especially for upward-sloping tracks, the current version of the mod IMO needs an obscene amount of power rails or the carts will slow down and stop. Which is not very good for roller coasters.

spillz

by spillz » Post

Morn76 wrote: Yes, just like you would put stone torches next to power rails in MC.
I don't really play MC, but my kids do. So maybe obvious if you are a MC player. But why not have mese as part of powered rail recipe? About as realistic as powering it with a mese torch!
I'm considering doing a fork of the carts mod so you would need fewer power rails per distance. Especially for upward-sloping tracks, the current version of the mod IMO needs an obscene amount of power rails or the carts will slow down and stop. Which is not very good for roller coasters.
Probably just need to change a couple of parameters for power and friction. Would also like to be able to hit a stationary cart while inside it to make it move (not a lot but enough to get it moving if it has stopped)
Last edited by spillz on Sun Mar 16, 2014 15:44, edited 1 time in total.