[Mod] MAPP - map for Minetest - optimized! [0.2.4]

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

4aiman requested being banned because he didn't like the attitude of the community (or something like that.) Due to that, he probably won't be working on this mod anymore. If any further development is to be done, it will have to be by someone else. It is a shame when good mods are discontinued and forgotten (like this mod and the mods Mauvebic made.)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I'm afraid the mod will only get really useful once it's integrated into the client. Withhin lua and on the server-side, there are limitations in size. It is already quite nice for plans of houses you're standing in. It can't help with orientation without getting bigger first. The height-lines are very helpful and it looks good.
A list of my mods can be found here.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Yep, this is a great mod idea! I really love it!

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Sokomine wrote:I'm afraid the mod will only get really useful once it's integrated into the client. Withhin lua and on the server-side, there are limitations in size. It is already quite nice for plans of houses you're standing in. It can't help with orientation without getting bigger first. The height-lines are very helpful and it looks good.
I myself hope that this mod is added to Minetest itself one day. It will make navigation easier.

orwek

by orwek » Post

I forked this repo and added the original recipe back into the mod:

_____ dirt _____
dirt dirt dirt

https://github.com/orwek/mapp/archive/master.zip

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It would really be great if this could be done client-side. The client has most of the data already. No need to rely on slow network and a busy server to create the map.

incentive

by incentive » Post

Rather MAP for Minetest - oPtimized :D
MAPP

Thanks orwek for fork. I needed something easy to just download and install :D

Argh! Doesn't run in 0.4.8. Oh well...thanks anyway for you trying to make it work :)
I can do without maps. There's already a .cpp program for it that generates a map so...
Last edited by incentive on Sat Dec 28, 2013 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

incentive wrote:Argh! Doesn't run in 0.4.8. Oh well...thanks anyway for you trying to make it work :)
Mapp is working atleast under 0.4.8 stable version. I just checked..
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

this one is perfect example of why we need client-side scripting...

its just another way of displaying the very same node-info that is already sent to the client...
Last edited by aldobr on Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A map is such a basic tool/function that it could be integrated into the client itshelf. That ought to be pretty fast. The disadvantage would be that the client can only see what it received so far. Plus someone would have to code it (someone who is familiar with the code and not yet busy otherwise), and the pull request would have to be accepted.

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

Would be great if we could have different map sizes:

small 32, medium 64, big 128 blocks

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

lightonflux wrote:Would be great if we could have different map sizes:

I second this.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Maybe in a texture mod. On the Lua side, it would look like:

texture="map_back.png^[map:WxH:X,Z]"

And then someone would have to do the code for tile.cpp.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

lightonflux wrote: Would be great if we could have different map sizes:

There are technical limits to this. The way the mod is done is not the most efficient - but that's not the fault of the mod because it's the best a mod can do. What's done in the mod ought to be done in C++ in the client.

Since the mod seems abandomed (author no longer on the forum, license WTFPL), I forked it and added such an option for larger maps. It is very slow and works only up to 64x64 for me. DO NOT USE THIS FORK ON A SERVER.

Download: https://github.com/Sokomine/mapp/archive/master.zip
Browse Code: https://github.com/Sokomine/mapp
It is a fork of: https://github.com/4aiman/mapp

Usage: Same as original; except that you can change resolution between 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, 64x64 and 128x128 by right-clicking with the mapp item on any node. Each click will double the resolution. When it has reached 128x128, the next step will be 2x2 again (128x128 does have severe graphical glitches already).

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

I made a voxmynips fork of this months ago for my server, it runs pretty fast at 64, though im not sure 128 would fit without everything being incredibly small. One of those maps is posted on a pillar in my server's plaza if you want to check it out.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

mauvebic wrote: I made a voxmynips fork of this months ago for my server, it runs pretty fast at 64, though im not sure 128 would fit without everything being incredibly small.
I'm not sure if voxelmanip is needed if only reading of mapnodes is concerned. AFAIK someone (hmmm?) said that it made no big difference there.
It may not be unloaded areas alone that cause trouble. Formspecs where not made for that many textures I'm afraid.

I'll try to check out the map on your pillar.

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Post

Sokomine could you open enable issues for your repo? It is a bit easier to discuss problems there than here in this topic.

Here my problem:

It is very weird to click with right on the map and then when you reopen it you see the change.

There should be some buttons or the map should change on mouse4/5 without the need to reopen it.

Edit: Or different recipes for different sizes.
Last edited by lightonflux on Fri Jan 24, 2014 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

lightonflux has made a pull request and added a receipe. It goes like this:

Code: Select all

stick   stick   stick
     stick  paper  stick
     stick   stick   stick
Perhaps this way of creating maps could be useful for small towns or individual houses. Mauvebic uses a fixed version on his server. That is of course very fast because the map has to be created only once.

Did anyone else at least take a look at the mod?

[Edit] Added current version for download.
Attachments
mapp.zip
(21.31 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by Sokomine on Fri Jan 24, 2014 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Sokomine wrote:Mauvebic uses a fixed version on his server. That is of course very fast because the map has to be created only once.
It updates itself every hour so it's rarely inaccurate. The reason it's fixed is because of the abuse potential of multiple players frequently opening a handheld/tool-based map, especially at a size of 64, even worse if you implement 128.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

mauvebic wrote: The reason it's fixed is because of the abuse potential of multiple players frequently opening a handheld/tool-based map, especially at a size of 64, even worse if you implement 128.
In singleplayer, 64 worked quite well, while 128 didn't really work (too many glitches - either missing nodes or too much information for formspecs). Your semi-fixed version has the advantage that it's extremly fast on the client side since the client can just show the formspec and does not have to wait for the server (as i.e. with modern locked chests - those are a pain on slow servers). And, of course, the server only has to work on it once per hour (or whatever update cycle you set).

Unfortionately, even 128 is far too small a resolution to get any overview of the world or a smaller town. We need a better solution for that.

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Post

Where can i find the fixed map mod?

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

did you try 96? that might fit

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

It looks like the textures of the nodes in the map screen overlap a little.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

lightonflux wrote: Where can i find the fixed map mod?
The newest version is on github, on https://github.com/Sokomine/mapp. You can also download the file I attached to my posting.
Mauvebic wrote: did you try 96? that might fit
Hm, perhaps. It didn't work for me. I assume the land wasn't all loaded.
Inocudom wrote: It looks like the textures of the nodes in the map screen overlap a little.
Perhaps that was intentional in the original mod. It does display height difference somehow.

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Post

Sokomine wrote:
lightonflux wrote: Where can i find the fixed map mod?
The newest version is on github, on https://github.com/Sokomine/mapp. You can also download the file I attached to my posting.
I was talking about this one. I already cloned your repo hours ago. :)
Mauvebic uses a fixed version on his server. That is of course very fast because the map has to be created only once.