How to setup two player

DMGrier

How to setup two player

by DMGrier » Post

So I have been playing mine test for like two weeks now and been enjoying. My sister came over the other day and was wondering how could me and her play in the same so we can build together? I am running Minetestc55 0.4.9 on Ubuntu 13.10, any advice is greatly appreciated.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

I don't think you can do that unless you have two computers... Playing on two computers locally is easy to set up.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

DMGrier

by DMGrier » Post

That is what I am talking about it setting up two computers in my house to play the same world. how could I set this up?

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

start your world from server tab and let second computer connect to your IP:<port specified in server tab>
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

You set up a local server. Do the following:

1. Install Minetest on both computers. (Capt. Obvious flies away)
2. Fire up Minetest on your host. Go to the server tab, enter your name and password, select a world like you would in singleplayer and hit start game.
3. Now, open a terminal, and type ifconfig. If that doesn't work, sudo it - though I don't think that would be necessary.
4. Check your system's local IP address depending on how it is connected to a router. If it is ethernet, then check under eth0. If it is WiFi, check under wlan0. Your local IP address will be written under 'inet addr'. It should be of the form 192.168.x.x . If it's not, it's probably your public IP address, which you don't need. See this for more info.
5. Note down this IP address, and open Minetest on your sister's PC. Now, go to the client tab, and type in the IP address that you noted, and enter 30000 for the port unless you changed your port while setting up the server.
6. Enter a different name and a password, and hit 'Connect'

EDIT: Ninja'd. Damn you pitriss!
Last edited by hoodedice on Fri Jan 31, 2014 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

hoodedice wrote:You set up a local server. Do the following:

1. Install Minetest on both computers. (Capt. Obvious flies away)
2. Fire up Minetest on your host. Go to the server tab, enter your name and password, select a world like you would in singleplayer and hit start game.
3. Now, open a terminal, and type ifconfig. If that doesn't work, sudo it - though I don't think that would be necessary.
4. Check your system's local IP address depending on how it is connected to a router. If it is ethernet, then check under eth0. If it is WiFi, check under wlan0. Your local IP address will be written under 'inet addr'. It should be of the form 192.168.x.x . If it's not, it's probably your public IP address, which you don't need. See this for more info.
5. Note down this IP address, and open Minetest on your sister's PC. Now, go to the client tab, and type in the IP address that you noted, and enter 30000 for the port unless you changed your port while setting up the server.
6. Enter a different name and a password, and hit 'Connect'

EDIT: Ninja'd. Damn you pitriss!
Pitriss's explanation wasn't as good as yours.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

DMGrier

by DMGrier » Post

Okay guys so I went into the server tab and I type my name and a password. Then I open terminal I type in "sudo ifconfig" and I find my IP under etho which is inet 192.168.X.XXX, I then have her go under client and type this into the address, make sure port was on 30000 and then she types in the name of her choice and the password I created.

The problem is her computer (Windows 8.1) just shows a "connecting to server" and it never loads into the game. Any ideas.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

You need to port forward if the host is connected wirelessly to a router. Look up something like "port forwarding <your router manufacturer>".

By the way, it doesn't matter as long as it worked, but you didn't need to use sudo for ifconfig, and ifconfig is actually deprecated in many GNU/Linux systems; "ip addr" is supposed to replace it.

DMGrier

by DMGrier » Post

Thanks about the "ip addr" did not know as I have always seen "ifconfig" used. So I am in my router settings and seems easy enough except what protocol should I use? Should I use "TCP" or "UDP" or "Both"? Now I know in Minetest I have the port set to default so "30000", but in my router settings it wants to know the "External Port" and "Internal Port", how do I find out what to put in there?

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

Set both ports to 30000.

As for the protocol, I think it's UDP for Minetest; you can try each to find out for sure. Or you can just forward the port for both of them, that will be fine too.
Last edited by onpon4 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Minetest exclusively uses UDP as it's main network protocol, and if you have remote_media enabled, make Minetest point to /var/www/<path to datafiles>/ and enable port 80 on TCP.

DMGrier

by DMGrier » Post

Okay so here is what I did, for application name I set it as computer1, external port 30000 and internal port 30000, protocol Both, IP address 192.168.1.XXX and I check marked enable and saved settings. I am assuming the IP address is refering to mine which is what I put and according to Cisco website this is all I needed to do for port forwarding but it is still not working which I believe I got to be missing something. I so appreciate everyones help so far.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

That should work. Your local IP address should start with "192.168.2", though (in this last post you mentioned an IP address with the third digit being 1). Did you type the wrong address when connecting with the other Minetest client, perhaps?

Side note: you don't need to hide your local IP address (the one that begins with 192.168.2); it only identifies your computer in relation to your local network, so it doesn't tell us anything about your identity. Only your public IP address is (somewhat) personally identifying.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

That's weird. I never had to port forward when me and my brother played on a local server. We just connected and started playing =/

Owait. Did you allow minetest as an exception in Windows Firewall? Here are the steps to do that in Windows 8.1:

1) Hit the SuperDash key (aka Windows key)
2) Type Firewall, and open it when the app comes up.
3) Tap or click on 'Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall'.
4) Tap or click on 'Change Settings'.
5) Scroll the list and see if minetest is reported. If it is reported as accessible on private networks, you might want to either change your local network as private since that is more open for home connections. Or you could enable public connections for minetest.
6) If Minetest is not enabled in the exception list, add it using the 'Allow another app' button.
7)...?

DMGrier

by DMGrier » Post

Thanks everyone, I shut off Gufw in Ubuntu and connected just fine. So sorry I didn't think about the firewall.

WarHawk

Re: How to setup two player

by WarHawk » Post

i have done everything that was suggested and still it says error, can anyone help?

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: How to setup two player

by PolySaken » Post

WarHawk wrote:i have done everything that was suggested and still it says error, can anyone help?
What message are you getting?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.