[Server] VanessaE's Basic-plus Minetest Server [5.1.0-dev]

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

May I have interact please? I've read all of the rules... My in game name is the same as this one, including capital A...

Ferdi Napoli

by Ferdi Napoli » Post

Mcc457 wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2271/i ... 2bf1fg.jpg

Could I have that skin?
Really cool,look this skin
This is my skin

Ferdi Napoli

by Ferdi Napoli » Post

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

Ferdi Napoli wrote:
Mcc457 wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2271/i ... 2bf1fg.jpg

Could I have that skin?
Really cool,look this skin
This is my skin
Its custom, made it myself. Its me, how I look IRL.
Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Interact granted for Amaz.

Ferdi Napoli, I need your in-game name, and the link you gave is broken.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

PenguinDad

by PenguinDad » Post

Could you please install the Sam II skin for me? My ingame name is the same as in the forums.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, Sam II is reserved for later use, since it might eventually become the default game skin some time (and in fact, IS the default skin that I use on the 30000/30001 servers). Mind picking a different one?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sam II already uses the hat layer for hair.

PenguinDad

by PenguinDad » Post

Geopbyte

by Geopbyte » Post

I won't be on for about a week or two; life stuff :( Sorry...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: backup schedule adjusted again to try to better coincide with the server's quietest times. It will now occur at 10:00 am UTC (5:00 am EST).

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Post

Could I have this skin? http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/#!pa ... er:Adarqet
IGN: Adarqet
Thank you.

xyz32

by xyz32 » Post

Hello,
Why do roads just pop out of nowhere on this server. Now I don't mind them but they look "superficial" and a bit lazy :). If you can make them more natural and maybe follow the coast line will make them a lot prettier.

Thank you.

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

xyz32 wrote:Hello,
Why do roads just pop out of nowhere on this server. Now I don't mind them but they look "superficial" and a bit lazy :). If you can make them more natural and maybe follow the coast line will make them a lot prettier.

Thank you.

Roads are built by the community. I know VanessaE and I try to make the roads look at least sort of nice, some others don't and there's not much that we can do about that.
-- This account is no longer active --
My mods have moved to: https://cheapiesystems.com/git

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Roads are indeed a more difficult subject than it may seem at first glance.

Frist do keep in mind what their main purpose is, even in a virtuall world. The main roads (and I only speak of those in this reply, although things are similar for other structures) offer a fast and easy mode for travel. If you use "fast" in Minetest without the "fly" privilege your avatar will get easily hurt and navigation is difficult while avoiding naturall barriers in the path. This is why, just as in real life, we often have these speeding highways that are as straight as possible and pay little attention to the contour of the terrain. Look at the server maps and you will easily notice such a speeding highway cross centered at the original spawn or at least very close to it on most servers.

On this server the east road is the only one that is left straight. The north road might terminate at the lake, the south road had to sidepass protected land and the west road also tries to respect allready built structures and landscaped countryside, although it is intended to bring it back to the axis of spawn after the lake. As for the useabilty, the west road shows pretty good how the western end across the little ridge, through the forest, accross the little bay and along the cliff make the speeding aspect of the road pretty useless. Also the construction of this part took way longer than any other part and the concept of the way the path is chosen is difficult to comunicate to builders of different culture, age and a very important fact being the device the players use to play minetest on. It is sometimes anoying how players build something that totally destroys the scenic view, but one forgets that many players indeed cannot see these things as their hardware does not allow longrange views.

That said, please apply to be added to the protected roads and help beautify them. A lot of help is needed. As for the new north road I still have to study that one as it sort of popped up for me ;-).
Last edited by twoelk on Mon Feb 10, 2014 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

xyz32

by xyz32 » Post

twoelk wrote:Roads are indeed a more difficult subject than it may seem at first glance.

Frist do keep in mind what their main purpose is, even in a virtuall world. The main roads (and I only speak of those in this reply, although things are similar for other structures) offer a fast and easy mode for travel. If you use "fast" in Minetest without the "fly" privilege your avatar will get easily hurt and navigation is difficult while avoiding naturall barriers in the path. This is why, just as in real life, we often have these speeding highways that are as straight as possible and pay little attention to the contour of the terrain. Look at the server maps and you will easily notice such a speeding highway cross centered at the original spawn or at least very close to it on most servers.

On this server the east road is the only one that is left straight. The north road might terminate at the lake, the south road had to sidepass protected land and the west road also tries to respect allready built structures and landscaped countryside, although it is intended to bring it back to the axis of spawn after the lake. As for the useabilty, the west road shows pretty good how the western end across the little ridge, through the forest, accross the little bay and along the cliff make the speeding aspect of the road pretty useless. Also the construction of this part took way longer than any other part and the concept of the way the path is chosen is difficult to comunicate to builders of different culture, age and a very important fact being the device the players use to play minetest on. It is sometimes anoying how players build something that totally destroys the scenic view, but one forgets that many players indeed cannot see these things as their hardware does not allow longrange views.

That said, please apply to be added to the protected roads and help beautify them. A lot of help is needed. As for the new north road I still have to study that one as it sort of popped up for me ;-).
Thank you for the reply.
I agree with you on the usefulness of the roads, it is just the north going road that just floats in mid air and does not really go anywhere that I mind. It looks so artificial.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That north road ("Angels Lane", named for the first person's house that was built along it) is brand new, I just laid the roadbed the other day and haven't put the rest of it in yet. I put it in to make the northern shore of that lake more accessible.

xyz32

by xyz32 » Post

VanessaE wrote:That north road ("Angels Lane", named for the first person's house that was built along it) is brand new, I just laid the roadbed the other day and haven't put the rest of it in yet. I put it in to make the northern shore of that lake more accessible.
Well again I don't doubt the functionality of the road, but it looks so artificial, and it sort of ruins the lake.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well it's since been finished and I think it looks just fine the way it is now. Besides, the lake's so big, you can't see one shore from the other, or the bridge from either the east or west shores, and *anything* a person builds could be defined as "artificial", so :P

Daven

by Daven » Post

For all the Parkour lovers. The Parkour Park is OPEN. You don't have to pay it's all free. When I get in the gam today. I, myself will officially announce and open it. I will be on maybe in like a hour or two. Who would be the first one to try it out? It could be you. Make sure you come on.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

xyz32 wrote: Well again I don't doubt the functionality of the road, but it looks so artificial, and it sort of ruins the lake.
Go to VanessaEs survival server. We are more concerned about preserving the landscape there, and mods like moretrees and undergrowth etc. add to a beautiful landscape. Though even there, roads are mainly means to get from a to b and to build alongside. And not all...griefings...of nature can be prevented.
A list of my mods can be found here.

hassage
IRC: hassage
In-game: hassage

by hassage » Post

Can I have interact please? I have read the rules. Sorry if i make mistakes. English is not my maternal language.

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Post

Can i have this skin on the server, play name is the same as here:

http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3627 ... t-element/
Hello I am a random panda

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Interact granted for hassage and skin installed for Bearbar123.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

Code: Select all

<VE-Minetest> <stormchaser3000> i am at 65, -6737, -214748 or was i am now lower and i am so far out the mapgen is not generating
yeah it happened HOW ON EARTH THOUGH I JUST PLACED DEFAULT:DESERT_SAND and i teleported off the map