[Mod] Advanced area protection [areas]

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

This mod seems very complicated. Explain better!
My small square universe under construction ... Minemacro
Comunidade Minetest Brasil
www.minetestbrasil.com

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

brunob.santos wrote:This mod seems very complicated. Explain better!
Here explains all the commands in detail.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

My new markers mod allows to easily mark and handle areas. If you're having trouble with the chat commands, take a look at that mod! I hope it will make self-protection for players much easier in the future.
A list of my mods can be found here.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??
Yes. minetest.rotate_and_place ignored protection. I've fixed it here.

freejack

by freejack » Post

Ok it seems there is some lag between the update and the readme. I know it is not config.lau but settings.lau. I need to increase the max area to protect.

it says the max is 1024m^2, trying to increase it to 5000 or more. When I do it crashes on boot.

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

freejack wrote:Ok it seems there is some lag between the update and the readme. I know it is not config.lau but settings.lau. I need to increase the max area to protect.

it says the max is 1024m^2, trying to increase it to 5000 or more. When I do it crashes on boot.
Areas has no maximum or minimum size by default. And self-protection is limited to 50*100*50m^3 by default.
Do you mean Sokomine's markers mod?
It implements a GUI for areas and has a 1024m^2 hardcoded limit (although it's in a variable).
Last edited by ShadowNinja on Tue Jan 14, 2014 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

freejack

by freejack » Post

That is it thank you now off to figure it out.....

BRICK

by BRICK » Post

I may be missing something, but I follow the steps (using the chat commands) to create an area, set myself as the owner, and then use the protect command to prevent others from digging/building on it.
Now here's the problem: the area is listed as my area, but people are still able to build and dig on the area even after I use the /protect command.

Any suggestions?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The areas mod usually works pretty well and protecs reliably. Try my markers mod. It has a book and a marker stone that allow you to visualize the area. That way you can check if you protected the right place.

[Edit] Of course it might be that all your other players have extensive privs and are thus allowed to build in any area. Check if they got the areas-priv.
Last edited by Sokomine on Tue Jan 21, 2014 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

BRICK

by BRICK » Post

Sokomine wrote:The areas mod usually works pretty well and protecs reliably. Try my markers mod. It has a book and a marker stone that allow you to visualize the area. That way you can check if you protected the right place.

[Edit] Of course it might be that all your other players have extensive privs and are thus allowed to build in any area. Check if they got the areas-priv.

Oh, so if they have the areas priv, then they are able to build on protected areas?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BRICK wrote: Oh, so if they have the areas priv, then they are able to build on protected areas?
Yes. Players with that priv are area maintainers and can build there regardless of ownership. Do not give the areas priv to normal players. Only give it to your moderators/trustworthy players.

BRICK

by BRICK » Post

Sokomine wrote:
BRICK wrote: Oh, so if they have the areas priv, then they are able to build on protected areas?
Yes. Players with that priv are area maintainers and can build there regardless of ownership. Do not give the areas priv to normal players. Only give it to your moderators/trustworthy players.

Okay, thanks! That clears up a lot of confusion...

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

This is a pretty cool mod. It protects from dig and place, but not from anything else. So, you get these usage scenarios:

1) Set up a public place where the area is protected by an admin, so anyone can store or use items, but they can't change what those items are or where they are placed.

2) Set up a private place where the area is owned by that particular owner, using locked doors and/or locked chests to protect places/items completely from other users.

It wasn't completely clear from the description that this was the case until I tried this out, myself. There's also a few caveats:

- Doesn't protect your area from TNT or mesecon pistons (might have to adjust those mods if you use them).
- Doesn't protect your area from flowing water or lava placed on some kind of ledge a griefer might decide to build at the border.

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

gsmanners wrote:There's also a few caveats:

- Doesn't protect your area from TNT or mesecon pistons (might have to adjust those mods if you use them).
- Doesn't protect your area from flowing water or lava placed on some kind of ledge a griefer might decide to build at the border.
TNT mods should check for protection, as should mesecons pistons, using the protection API in the engine. File a issue with those mods. (Although there isn't area protection checking in the engine yet...)
Lava and water are virtually impossible to protect from as liquids need to be handled in the engine for speed. You can protect a few extra nodes to prevent liquids from getting to your things, and you can make tall areas so that greifers can't stack up over the top.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

I was just thinking that you'd need something like a moat and a wall. It's classic protection all over again, but areas definitely helps even in that case.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Most servers at least disable lava buckets above ground. Water is easier to clean away, and in the rare occasions where lava above ground may do something good, asking a moderator to place it ought to be possible.

CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

The area owners on the HUD do not seem to be working.
This happened just after I updated server to version 0.4.9.
Would anyone know what the problem could be? The hud.lua file is there.

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

CraigyDavi wrote:The area owners on the HUD do not seem to be working.
0.4.9 has a bug in client initialization, the TOCLIENT_HUD_ADD command is sent, but it's sent before the client is ready to handle it. Update to a recent git build, wait for 0.4.10, or downgrade.

CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

ShadowNinja wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote:The area owners on the HUD do not seem to be working.
0.4.9 has a bug in client initialization, the TOCLIENT_HUD_ADD command is sent, but it's sent before the client is ready to handle it. Update to a recent git build, wait for 0.4.10, or downgrade.
At the moment it seems to sometimes show the area owners on the HUD but rarely.

So I need to update the minetest version. I use a dev build from January the 26th. Do I need a newer version?

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

CraigyDavi wrote: At the moment it seems to sometimes show the area owners on the HUD but rarely.
It's a race condition I believe, so your client might be ready in time, or might not.
CragyDavi wrote: So I need to update the minetest version. I use a dev build from January the 26th. Do I need a newer version?
It was fixed a few days after your build.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

ShadowNinja wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??
Works ok, am somehow still able to place doors though...

CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

ShadowNinja wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote: So I need to update the minetest version. I use a dev build from January the 26th. Do I need a newer version?
It was fixed a few days after your build.
Ok thanks. I'll update it soon.
TenPlus1 wrote:
ShadowNinja wrote:
Works ok, am somehow still able to place doors though...
Same here. People can place doors in protected areas.
Last edited by CraigyDavi on Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

CraigyDavi wrote: Same here. People can place doors in protected areas.
That needs to be fixed in minetest_game in the doors mod.

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Works ok, am somehow still able to place doors though...
Fixed here.