by banninga.j.m » Post

Would any one be interested in creating a ps2 version of minetest

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

IMO MT will not run on such slow HW.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Pitriss wrote:IMO MT will not run on such slow HW.
That's why there's something called improvising so that it can run with whatever hardware it can.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

banninga.j.m

by banninga.j.m » Post

How possible would it be?

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

Gambit wrote:
Pitriss wrote:IMO MT will not run on such slow HW.
That's why there's something called improvising so that it can run with whatever hardware it can.
a) Not many ppl have network kit for playstation 2
b) People with consoles without modchips can't run homebrew apps

I still think it is pointless to port MT to such old hardware.. There will be no multiplayer, there will be hard to implement modding support, there will be no players because it will need modded console..
(ad mods: Do you really want to burn new CD to add some mod? How do you save some files to playstation memory card?..)

My oppinion is still the same.. instead of making ports for few ppl, help wit core development.. It will help MT much more than PS2 port.

BTW: I personally own unmoded PS2 and I like games for it. But MT for PS2? No, thanks, I can remap my gamepad into keys and play it that way if I want.
Last edited by Pitriss on Mon Feb 10, 2014 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Gambit wrote:That's why there's something called improvising so that it can run with whatever hardware it can.
The question isn't really whether it's possible, but whether it's worth it. I suppose it would be possible to "port" Minetest to the PS2 by rewriting everything in assembly, and maybe the performance would be good then, but we're talking about an old computer which is slow, was outdated years ago, has been deliberately restricted in its capability by its manufacturer, has no future, and would require special effort to port to. I'm not familiar with the PS2's accessories, but I don't think it even has a mouse, which would mean such a port would be stuck with an inferior control scheme as well. Absolutely nothing would be gained from this port; it would be a complete waste of time.

If you want to play Minetest or any PC game on the television, just plug in your computer; even if your video card doesn't have an HDMI output, televisions commonly have VGA monitor inputs today. You can even get adapters for just about any dedicated video game "console" controller out there, including those for the PS2.

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

I never said it was worth it.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

banninga.j.m

by banninga.j.m » Post

That is what I thought. Just wanted to see if anyone was interested.

Thanks anyways.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

I wonder where you would save the map? At least not on the memory card ^^ How big was it? 8MB in the standard edition?

banninga.j.m

by banninga.j.m » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:I wonder where you would save the map? At least not on the memory card ^^ How big was it? 8MB in the standard edition?
USB port.