VoxelShop (Voxel-Editor)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

flux wrote:We were actually looking at the second image when we were discussion how the exporter could work.

Regarding the texture inside the cave: From what I understood it is not possible to fix that with the nodebox format, since you can only define six textures (one for each side). If that is not correct, please provide me with an example (you were talking about table lamps in Home-Decor?).

Format compatibility is very high on my priority list for VoxelShop. I've already added an importer for *binvox, *.kvx and *.kv6 over the last few days and many more will come. Which file format would you like to see next?
Can you add compatibility to export in .x please?
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

flux

by flux » Post

hoodedice wrote:Can you add compatibility to export in .x please?
Could you please direct me towards resources that discuss the .x format? I'm having trouble finding any reference to it whatsoever.
Inocudom wrote:This is caused by a flaw that nodebox models have. All cubes that make up nodebox models have all of their faces drawn.
That's what I figured and hence I'm trying to reduce the voxel to as few boxes as possible. Should be an optimal solution within the constraint of using boxes. The problem I'm having is another.
Spoiler
Looking at the image and from my understanding it is not possible to color the bottom of the cave in a different color than the grass above. If I'm wrong please let me know!

@Inocudom Could you please provide better reference to your post?

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Here is one I found that *might* be useful:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... X_Exporter
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform

flux

by flux » Post

Oh, that is not a voxel format. Standard 3D formats are not a priority atm unfortunately - unless you can provide a really good reason why they are needed. Is this format needed for minetest?
Last edited by flux on Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Well, I don't really remember the supported formats off of my head, but this is the one which is used mostly in MT.

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

flux wrote:Oh, that is not a voxel format. Standard 3D formats are not a priority atm unfortunately - unless you can provide a really good reason why they are needed. Is this format needed for minetest?
.x files are commonly used for mobs or other 3D entities. Two examples of usages of .x files are: (viewtopic.php?id=3063) and (viewtopic.php?id=6154).

flux

by flux » Post

Mhmm, isn't there a converter from .dae to .x ? That would be easiest.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

flux wrote:
Could you please direct me towards resources that discuss the .x format? I'm having trouble finding any reference to it whatsoever.
Inocudom wrote:This is caused by a flaw that nodebox models have. All cubes that make up nodebox models have all of their faces drawn.
That's what I figured and hence I'm trying to reduce the voxel to as few boxes as possible. Should be an optimal solution within the constraint of using boxes. The problem I'm having is another.
Spoiler
Looking at the image and from my understanding it is not possible to color the bottom of the cave in a different color than the grass above. If I'm wrong please let me know!

My best reference is using noclip to fly inside nodebox models.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Spoiler
flux wrote:
Spoiler

If you look at the model in the picture, The grass in the cave comes from the grass on the top of the model while the water look on the right of the cave comes from the water on the left of the node box. So it takes the colors/testure from the image on the same side of the node that you are looking at so it would be water at the same height at every interruption of the node box. I hope that I am explaining it so that you can understand.

flux

by flux » Post

@LionsDen Yeah, I understand that. From what twoelk posted I understood that it might be possible to change that though. Or what was he talking about?

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

hmm, as an idea, you could have an ad at the bottom. people may not dish money for something, but it is easy enough to click an add to support someone. just an idea. and you might want to put a note suggesting that.
Last edited by Novacain on Wed Feb 19, 2014 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

flux wrote:@LionsDen Yeah, I understand that. From what twoelk posted I understood that it might be possible to change that though. Or what was he talking about?
talking rubbish as I sometimes do ;-)

nope the homedecor:table_lamp is useless for this issue. Got that mixed up somewhere ... might have been some other mod? Maybe the Nightclub one? Or maybe another game alltogether?

well as I never solved that in my Logodisplay node I guess I never found an answer - though I do remember I was doing wierd things to the doors code that never resulted in anything usefull though some surprising and mysterious things happened. So to solve that issue I guess the mesh might be the only way :-(.

flux

by flux » Post

Ah, that clears that up =) Thanks for the reply!

Now I'll start working on it!

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

It seems to be a common agreement to keep entitys, mobs and npcs in Minetest within a blocky look so being able to design such things with voxels that can be exported to a mesh is a pretty good way to keep the models within the same design. The *.x format seems to be the most used. Usually exported from Blender that is also used for animation. Another format used is *.obj. So if you ever add skeletal rigging for animation and manage to keep the learning curve lower than Blender your program may become very usefull for Minetest indeed. As Minetest is based on Irrlicht it should be able to use all file formats listed here.

Another thought I had was maybe you could also export at another scale to Minetest. Along the lines ofthis project of mine you might try to export one voxel to one Minetest node. Maybe a colorcode like the one used in thecolor.txt for the Mapper tool could be used to choose the right nodes out of a reduced set.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

twoelk wrote:It seems to be a common agreement to keep entitys, mobs and npcs in Minetest within a blocky look so being able to design such things with voxels that can be exported to a mesh is a pretty good way to keep the models within the same design. The *.x format seems to be the most used. Usually exported from Blender that is also used for animation. Another format used is *.obj. So if you ever add skeletal rigging for animation and manage to keep the learning curve lower than Blender your program may become very usefull for Minetest indeed. As Minetest is based on Irrlicht it should be able to use all file formats listed here.

Another thought I had was maybe you could also export at another scale to Minetest. Along the lines ofthis project of mine you might try to export one voxel to one Minetest node. Maybe a colorcode like the one used in thecolor.txt for the Mapper tool could be used to choose the right nodes out of a reduced set.
NOPE. If one voxel was equal to one node, then projects like Cars and Rollercoaster will become HUGE. Keep block size configurable, like in Sproxel.

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

You might have missed the word "also".

I was suggesting a second format to export to Minetest with. Just imagine what a nice huge tree the example file on the Voxelshop homepage would make. It is the same tree as in the avatar/icon that flux uses. By the way that example file would also pose a challenge as a single node built of node boxes. It would offer similar dificulties with the coloring of the roots and the bottom leaves as my version of the Minetest Logo does.

Besides exporting to *.we format and the newer Minetest schematic file format might prove easier with the geometry and may allow re-importing so that the tweaking of schematic files used by WorldEdit might be easier.

So listing the programs I could imagine exchanging data with might be interesting besides obviously the game itself would include

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Here is the file format specification for the node box editor: FileFormat.txt

WIM is a bit obsolete: the node box editor does everything it can do, iirc.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

flux

by flux » Post

Just to give you guys some update on this:

I'm currently working on generalizing the rectangle algorithm described in this paper into 3D to minimize the amount of boxes that will generated by the exporter.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I am currently working on allowing the NBE to interact with minetest(.exe). Ie: you click a run button, and it runs the mod in a world.

Will you be exporting a whole lua mod, the code for a single node, or the node box only?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

flux

by flux » Post

I think I will start with the code for a single node (at first most of it static then maybe an option menu where you can specify output parameters) with textures.

What would be the advantages of exporting a lua mod? That's basically just "more text", right?

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

yes just more text ;-)

functional text though!

If you output a working lua mod with folder structure and all needed content the user can just toss that into his mod folder and it works at once.
If you output the code for a node the user will have to inigrate that into a mod organize a folder for textures and maybe other stuff to see any results in the game.
If you just output a nodebox ... well the user will have to do even more work to test the result ingame.

For example I only noticed my texture aligning difficulties (mirroring, flipping and more) after I had wrapped an actuall mod around my node and loaded that into the game.

flux

by flux » Post

Well, if it's just more text I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be adding it =)

flux

by flux » Post

Quick Update: Added an extensive help system to the VoxelShop. Should make it much easier to learn about what the program can do.

Last edited by flux on Wed Mar 12, 2014 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: VoxelShop (Voxel-Editor)

by Inocudom » Post

I don't hear much talk about this program these days. Does anybody use it? How is development?

I made the above image using this program. It is an antique radio.
Attachments
Antique.png
Antique.png (16.4 KiB) Viewed 1050 times

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: VoxelShop (Voxel-Editor)

by philipbenr » Post

Looks good Inocudom! Really nicely done.