What would make a good server?

LandMine

What would make a good server?

by LandMine » Post

hey guys i have found some spare time and would like to set up a server (again) most of the server i make have been creative and have been active while they are up, the problem with the creative servers is that there are random buildings everywhere....

So the question is...what would make a good server?
Would it be one that has many features that means just the vanilla game with many mods?
One that has a specific theme to it for example harry potter, lord of the rings?
A server that is pvp or team battles for example call of duty or hunger games?
Or a more cooperative game like zombie invasion (walking dead) or economy based where you can only dig basic nodes (wood, cobble, sand, metals) and would need to purchase other nodes instead of crafting, this would make players join together to either survive and/or build there citys

So what would make a good server? what would YOU like to see?
List Of My Creative Servers - http://planetminetest.com
The Walls - PvP Map - http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2906

DeepGaze
GitHub: DeepGaze
IRC: DeepGaze
In-game: DeepGaze

by DeepGaze » Post

a labyrinth server that spawns you in a glass box overlooking a maze made of cloud: walk into a tube that falls into a puddle of water (to avoid player damage). when you are out of the maze you can build a house or more maze's.
this is one idea and would require little to no mods saving on price of hosting and would weed out the players from the pansies
there's no place like 127.0.0.1
The deep life Minetest text page
minetest cards

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

LandMine wrote: So the question is...what would make a good server?
Reliability/longlivity.
A list of my mods can be found here.

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

DeepGaze wrote:a labyrinth server that spawns you in a glass box overlooking a maze made of cloud: walk into a tube that falls into a puddle of water (to avoid player damage). when you are out of the maze you can build a house or more maze's.
this is one idea and would require little to no mods saving on price of hosting and would weed out the players from the pansies
Good idea, and in maze can be bigblue from mobf as minotaur .

fishyWET
GitHub: neinwhal
IRC: neinwhal
In-game: neinwhal

by fishyWET » Post

-
Last edited by fishyWET on Tue Apr 04, 2017 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

LandMine

by LandMine » Post

Definitely a good server is one that last a long time and by reliability i suppose one that is never down and has great uptime which is exactly what im looking for, but still i don't just want to run a vanilla server with a lot of mods, about 90% of server are like that, the idea here would be to make some sort of RPG server, or a server with a purpose that makes it co-op something that would make players still come back after a long time, even if they play on other servers >>> please give ideas, i know everyone has different taste, but know what YOU would like to see will help me craft an idea :D

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I think an RPG type server is a great goal, that's my eventual goal. There are still lots of pieces missing for a traditional fantasy RPG:

Quests
Character Levels
Experience System
Skills
Spells

My Affects mod is a framework I started for implementing the effects of potions, spells, poisons, etc...
Skills will probably be the next thing I will work on
Last edited by BrandonReese on Wed Feb 26, 2014 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

LandMine wrote: Definitely a good server is one that last a long time and by reliability i suppose one that is never down and has great uptime which is exactly what im looking fo
Reliability is meant more in the way of longlivity here. Basicly the server ought to be still there even after a long time (=years!). Necessary downtimes or restarts are not that much of a problem. And of course not only the server as such but the map of the server shall either be the same (apart from new buildings and mods added in the meantime) or buildings be copied over from an old map if something made keeping the old map undesirable.
LandMine wrote: something that would make players still come back after a long time,
Hmm. There has to be something they may come back to. Most of them do sooner or later...
LandMine wrote: the idea here would be to make some sort of RPG server, or a server with a purpose that makes it co-op something
There's a relatively new server out there which does have serious trouble getting the technical aspects of running the server together (horrible lag due to insufficient knowledge of Minetest). From what I can make out, it aims at RPG, has game masters, asks players to decide which role they want to play etc. Perhaps you can cooperate with those people.
A list of my mods can be found here.

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

BrandonReese wrote:I think an RPG type server is a great goal, that's my eventual goal. There are still lots of pieces missing for a traditional fantasy RPG:

Quests
Character Levels
Experience System
Skills
Spells

My Affects mod is a framework I started for implementing the effects of potions, spells, poisons, etc...
Skills will probably be the next thing I will work on
and... npc!

conditions for being good server

first recommend "Very fast and no lag!!!!"

second recommend "Perfect Anti griefer system"

third recommend "Better mods"

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I want a city vs city server, which is the main reason behind the capture the flag game.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I want a city vs city server, which is the main reason behind the capture the flag game.
My dream server would extend this a bit: A war server with an incredible amount of weapons :D Explosions, collapsing skyscrapers, etc. Some kind of GTA online, but fully destroyable and city vs. city.

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:I want a city vs city server, which is the main reason behind the capture the flag game.
My dream server would extend this a bit: A war server with an incredible amount of weapons :D Explosions, collapsing skyscrapers, etc. Some kind of GTA online, but fully destroyable and city vs. city.
that kind of server would be awesome :3

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

My opinion on what makes a good server:

1. longevity. No one wants to see their master creations destroyed after a week of playing.

2. reliability. this doesn't mean no downtime, or no server errors, but rather that there is someone trying to improve it, and that if something does happen to corrupt the maps, then there is a backup that makes a minimal amount of work needed to fix the issue.

3. minimal lag. everyone hates lag. if it's normally only about half a second, then there isn't really an issue. If it is in the 5-10 second, it is getting irritating. if it is over 20, people are usually searching for a new server.

4. mods. vanilla is boring. have plenty of mods that add diferent textures.

those are what I feel are key for a server. here are some ideas on what else you could do:

Themes: instead of just making the whole server one theme, why not make multiple themes? you could have a section for medieval, a section for fantasy, a section for modern day, and a sectioin for futuristic (tronblocks may be a good idea for that).

PvP: PvP needs to be controlled. it kinda ruins everything if there is just blatent PvP everywhere, unless that is the style of server you are looking for. that being said, PvP can be extremely fun, if you are in an arena.

mods: try to add enough mods that there are plenty of options, but not so many that the server starts bogging down. if you have the processing power for it, use technic. darkage is also a really good one.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

Long>NO LAG>No Griefer>Better Mods

LandMine

by LandMine » Post

All these are great insights and i very greatful for all the feedback, i will start to cook something up combining existing mods and make minor adustments to create something cool :D

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

ah, I also forgot about a protection mod. in order to stop griefers, there are several weapons that are useful.

1: protection mods. these keeps people who don't own certain land from digging/placing there, and essentially stops griefing.

2: mods (moderators) these are the players who distribute area protection (since people tend to not be able to do so themselves) and ban griefers and rule breakers.

some other things to consider:
anti-guest. nuff said.
unified inventory. everyone wants to see how to craft stuff.
skins. people like diversity.
a central area that is already divided into sub areas. the servers I have played on that have this are pretty nice. basically the primary area in a city is divided up into sections. when a player joins, they can either take a section in the city, or go out into the wilds to "freebuild." it allows a nice organized area around spawn, as opposed to the haphazard placement of buildings that occur otherwize. also, you will want to place walkways, and possibly even roads (if you really want to get into it)
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

LandMine

by LandMine » Post

Well i have decided to make 2 type of servers, i will create one that would be an RPG of some sort in a Harry Potter theme, i will create a mod with the help of this wiki here: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lists will have its own hogwarts and each house will get points for specific tasks.

Also will try to Create a PVP Survival mod where you can join teams and survive together or you can become a solo bandit and fight survivors heehe, with many mobs and very little resources this should be a fun task, will work on the details later, might also create a github or a specific so other can contribute to specific plugins or mods needed :D