3D animals

For people working on the C++ code.
darian_gossman

3D animals

by darian_gossman » Post

Can minetest have 3D animals? If it can, can someone make a mod or patch?

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

+1

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

if you look at the animals mod for a moment sapier used 3d models ask him

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

every body is against it for some reason..i would love to play this game..but its not really fun without 3d mobs and people and sound effects
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I've just created a patch for linking entities together, it's inteded as testcase for linking players to entities thus creating minecarts. But it may be used to link different shaped blocks to a 3d model of an animal too. One entity being the master entity all other entity's movement beeing controled by it. It's not complete but another piece of the puzzle.
Last edited by sapier on Mon Jan 09, 2012 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

r_kAY

by r_kAY » Post

I suggest that there should be different options for 3d animals. So based on your system capabilities you can still play minetest. That way we can please more than one group of people.

Krisi

by Krisi » Post

3D People: i working for it, i have already make a model in Blender (thread http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362) but the big problem is that the new Mod api has no function to add something to the engine so i must "export" all models in blender to a "C Code" and add this to the source. Currently i fail on the texture because the tex-coordinates are wrong and im to stupid to export the coordinated with the new blender 2.5 python api right.
3D Animals & new 3D objects: the same
Last edited by Krisi on Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
3D Player in Minetest?! - New GUI and more graphic options
"Lets do this..." Ghost Riley
Linux needs a good ego-shooter!!...
Sorry for my bad english

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

if you can get 3d animals and 3d people into minetest i will completely give up minecraft..that is freakin cool
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:if you can get 3d animals and 3d people into minetest i will completely give up minecraft..that is freakin cool
+3
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

Krisi wrote:3D People: i working for it
Woooooooo, yes !! that will be realy cool !

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

If there's 3d model loading support ans someone provides 3d models I'll add it instantly to animals ;-).

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

sapier wrote:If there's 3d model loading support ans someone provides 3d models I'll add it instantly to animals ;-).
Well Irrlicht supports various types of 3d models (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features/) although you would still need to add the ability into Minetest to use them ^_^

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

sorry forgot the "for mods" in my sentence :-)

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

And 3D players too. But yes, +1.

Also, I know some people are concerned with the performance impact 3D meshes could have. Which is why I suggest making 3D a setting which can be turned off, and giving each entity (animal mob or player) both a 3D version as well as a 6-way sprite set. So if people want sprites for either performance or that Infiniminer look, everyone is happy :)

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

then we're nothing but being minecraft....

The rat in 3.1 is fine. I think we need to get ingenius to make a critter is such low res as possible. It's a challenge. Use the regular system of generating things. How simple can we make stuff like jungle grass to look like something special.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Maybe what we need is design tool that we can draw on blocks and view in minetest sim.

wokste

by wokste » Post

3D as minecraft or 3D as (insert random modern 3D game here)?

For the first: I have some ideas for code.
For the second: opengameart.org, may provide us with some models
We must be careful not to clone Notches mistakes.

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:then we're nothing but being minecraft....

The rat in 3.1 is fine. I think we need to get ingenius to make a critter is such low res as possible. It's a challenge. Use the regular system of generating things. How simple can we make stuff like jungle grass to look like something special.
Maybe make a hybrid? Make a checkbox in the settings to "show 3d models" and depending on it to load and display 3D models for players, animals, objects or load textures as they are now.
I know - this is double work for the designer and developer of 3D, but on the other side of a compromise between quality/fun and productivity.
Last edited by Nemo08 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Still I think we're missing something. The mandate that MineTest run on older machines.

We're thinking too hard and should look at what's already there. Like whenever you hold a torch, pickaxe, rat... it's rendered in a 3D extrapulation of it's 2D bitmap. The program already handles this, why not use it for in game graphics rather for just to signify you're holding it?

This let us have many more possibilities while keeping that 8-bit feel. Possibilities? Like a bird with extruded 3D body with 2D hortizontal bit map for wings when flying. Not like a bird ... how about a dragon... I shutter the thought.

For players, the same 2D-3D but you could have layer bitmaps extruded. Adding some depth without adding the costs of CPU or game lag.
Last edited by Michael Eh? on Mon Feb 27, 2012 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

In other words, just using 2D images to produce a 3D effect. Like a paper airplane.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Not quite but I guess for the bird idea, yes. I thinking of just using the routines for generating whatever you're holding into fake 3D and use it creatively in-game objects.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

Guys theres the 3D Players (Whatever) Mod. So if you want 3D players, download it.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Not quite but I guess for the bird idea, yes. I thinking of just using the routines for generating whatever you're holding into fake 3D and use it creatively in-game objects.
ya like editing the tools textures, it makes them 3d. that would look nice with animals
Keep calm and code python^_^

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

yes, this is the point.

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

The meshes generated with the extrusion routine can contain lots of vertices. Using one of those for every visible animal might be too heavy on older graphics cards. (Perhaps it's not too bad if you stick to 16x16 textures.)