3D animals

For people working on the C++ code.
jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

use the animal mod's animal AI and just have the animal be a base entity..then use other things that are parented to the mesh that collides with the nodes..and have it have a "walking" animation (aka the legs move when the animal walks around) this can be done in lua :)
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:use the animal mod's animal AI and just have the animal be a base entity..then use other things that are parented to the mesh that collides with the nodes..and have it have a "walking" animation (aka the legs move when the animal walks around) this can be done in lua :)
But thats too slow
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

sfan5 wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:use the animal mod's animal AI and just have the animal be a base entity..then use other things that are parented to the mesh that collides with the nodes..and have it have a "walking" animation (aka the legs move when the animal walks around) this can be done in lua :)
But thats too slow
D: it would like take the dev's a month to design different animals in c++

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
sfan5 wrote:
But thats too slow
D: it would like take the dev's a month to design different animals in c++
In Lua too!
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Speaking of Animals mod, where is Sapier?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I'm here I've been just a little bit busy last weeks ...

I've thought about c++ mobs too, but if I understand celeron right he'd prefere removing all mob code from c++. Probably a hybrid aproach would be best:

1) 3d model entity support handled in c++
2) 3d animation done in c++ triggered with lua eg "model_state = walking", jump animation, duck animation ...

As you can se 3d models and 3d animation is different adding first thing might be a relativly simple task ... animation is more complex.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

it can be like, has two legs or four?

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

sapier wrote:I'm here I've been just a little bit busy last weeks ...

I've thought about c++ mobs too, but if I understand celeron right he'd prefere removing all mob code from c++. Probably a hybrid aproach would be best:

1) 3d model entity support handled in c++
2) 3d animation done in c++ triggered with lua eg "model_state = walking", jump animation, duck animation ...

As you can se 3d models and 3d animation is different adding first thing might be a relativly simple task ... animation is more complex.
So all I would have to do is make the 3D models for every move?
Keep calm and code python^_^

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

No by now there ain't 3d model support by minetest core (at least not as far as I know)

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

sapier wrote:No by now there ain't 3d model support by minetest core (at least not as far as I know)
theres a 3D player out broski
Keep calm and code python^_^

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

But not in the "vanilla" minetest

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

and player isn't same thing as luaentitys. so even if player was merged that code needs to be added/changed for luaentities

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

sapier wrote:and player isn't same thing as luaentitys. so even if player was merged that code needs to be added/changed for luaentities
mhm..i think we need to have a "mob" ai system and basic draw type for different mobs in c++

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

+1

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@jordan4ibanez
Sorry but you're mixing things that ain't really related to each other.

Mob AI != Mob Model != Model animation

Of course each of this can be arbitrary complex but lets stick to a simple view.

Mob AI is what animals mod primary provides

If you look at the c++ code there is already rudimentary code for a mob subsystem too. The problem is creating a working, extendable ai mob system having all features is LOTS of work.
I think that's why celeron wants to switch mobs to lua. In lua anyone can fix bug's add features or make the mobs more smart that they have been before and he can stick to the more important core features of minetest.

I've already thought of extending this system but:
I'm not a perfect C programmer, ok not even close to perfect, but even more important I'm writing extremely different style of C/C++ code than celeron does. This makes adding code I've written always a little bit more complicated than necessary. Adding a full featured mob system will additionaly break client compatibility again so celeron won't be amused of this too.
Obviously I'm not really motivated to create a subsystem this complex with no sign of a chance to get it into core. ;-)

Mob Model
By now this is simply done by the drawtypes supported by luaentity. Contrary to nodes luaentitys are extremly limited. Adding a 3d model drawtype to luaentitys would fix the lack of a mob model. That 3d model support could be used by a c++ mob ai too.

Model Animation
is a feature of the 3d model engine thats "only" triggered by some actions. This isn't necessarily a lua trigger.

So my opinion for the "3d animals" task:
-1 to mob system in core
+1 generic 3d model support in core
Last edited by sapier on Wed Mar 14, 2012 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Post

sapier wrote: +1 generic 3d model support in core
+100500!

Microsuperman

by Microsuperman » Post

being new to minetest. I didn't see the "unofficial engine development" at the bottom. but I did come up with an idea for an api that could make 3d creatures http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 927#p46927. what do you guys think?

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post