Ores [mod][0.8][WIP][ores]

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

Ores [mod][0.8][WIP][ores]

by Enke » Post

I'm back with another mod! This mod is going to be a much larger project than my last, attempting to add in over 100 ores, and eventually give them uses. If anyone desires to help, I could use some help texturing (read: I really really suck at it).

Ore [Texture License][Texture Creator]
Adamantine [WTFPL][John1]
Alabaster [WTFPL][Enke]
Aluminum [WTFPL][Enke]
Alunite [WTFPL][Enke]
Andesite [WTFPL][Enke]
Anhydrite [WTFPL][Enke]
Basalt [WTFPL][Enke]
Bauxite [WTFPL][Enke]
Bismuthine Bronze [WTFPL][John1]
Bituminous Coal [WTFPL][John1]
Borax [WTFPL][John1]
Brimstone [WTFPL][John1]
Calcite [WTFPL][John1]
Cassiterite [WTFPL][John1]
Chalk [WTFPL][John1]
Chert [WTFPL][John1]
Chromite [WTFPL][John1]
Cinnabar [WTFPL][John1]
Claystone [WTFPL][Enke]
Cobaltite [WTFPL][Enke]
Conglomerate [WTFPL][Enke]
Cryolite [WTFPL][Enke]

Note all my textures on the left, John1's on the right. Yeah, I suck at texturing.

Installation: Unpack into your mods folder and rename to "ores". The latest dev version of Minetest is required.
License: GPLv3
ToDo: Define all the ores.

Roadmap: My plan is to define most/all of the ores before I begin to give them uses. Most of the ores will be added in alphabetical order based on this page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... de_to_Rock I will probably skip the ores that have a MT/FM counterpart already.

Thanks to: John1, for his amazing textures.

Ores 0.8
Last edited by Enke on Fri Nov 27, 2015 07:51, edited 2 times in total.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

John1

by John1 » Post

I could probably help with textures.

Enke

by Enke » Post

John1 wrote:I could probably help with textures.
Feel free to if you so desire.
Lush8

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

John1

by John1 » Post

Enke wrote:Feel free to if you so desire.
Not sure what you need though.

Enke

by Enke » Post

Update: Version 0.2

Andesite added.
John1 wrote:
Enke wrote:Feel free to if you so desire.
Not sure what you need though.
If it won't interfere with anything else you are doing, I would appreciate it if you could make edits to the current textures that you feel need work.
Regards; ~~Enke

[Edit] Also, has anyone noticed the temperature and humidy in the picture? Creepy, espescially with the lack of a thermal gradient.
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Nice going, but beware of loading times!
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Enke

by Enke » Post

hoodedice wrote:Nice going, but beware of loading times!
Hmmm. You have a point...

Crud.

[Edit]: Now how the heck am I supposed to help your hunger? I could send you a steak...
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

John1

by John1 » Post

I got this error message:

Code: Select all

20:19:28: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
20:19:28: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
20:19:28: ERROR[main]: /home/daniel/.minetest/mods/ores/init.lua:
20:19:28: ERROR[main]: /home/daniel/.minetest/mods/ores/init.lua:114: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 112) near 'inventory_image'
20:19:28: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
20:19:28: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/daniel/.minetest/mods/ores/init.lua
20:19:28: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/daniel/.minetest/mods/ores/init.lua

Enke

by Enke » Post

John1 wrote:[snip]
I'll put out a hotfix as soon as I can

[Edit]: Should be fixed. Came down to 1 comma.
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

John1

by John1 » Post

That didn't fix it, it still shows the same error message.

Not the greatest, but here's my version of adamantine:

Enke

by Enke » Post

John1 wrote:That didn't fix it, it still shows the same error message.

Not the greatest, but here's my version of adamantine:

http://i.imgur.com/x8EAjEd.png
http://i.imgur.com/SSbTT0C.png
Alright, I'll get back on it.

[Edit] It works with a Minetest-dev build from yesterday on minetest_game with no other mods enabled. Although this latest hotfix helped me to identify several texture goofs I made. I'm liking your adamantine textures, I'll package those in with 0.3.
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Enke wrote: attempting to add in over 100 ores, and eventually give them uses.
That might be too much. Imagine going mining in a world with over 100 ores - most of the time you won't get the ore you mined because your inventory doesn't have that many slots.

Better add a handful of nice new ores with intresting usage :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Enke

by Enke » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Enke wrote: attempting to add in over 100 ores, and eventually give them uses.
That might be too much. Imagine going mining in a world with over 100 ores - most of the time you won't get the ore you mined because your inventory doesn't have that many slots.

Better add a handful of nice new ores with intresting usage :-)
My main reason for desiring to add all these ores is for variety in mining. I almost never go mining because only finding "stone" seems boring and unrealistic. Mainly because I'm a strange person and I like finding useless but interesting things. And for tools, I probably won't add too many new tools, just make the new nodes craft into standard stone picks or somethin'.

"It's not just a boulder! It's a rock!"
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Post

Version 0.3 adds anhydrite, changes some oregen, adds in John1's excellent adamantine textures, and fixes other bugs.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Post

Version 0.4 adds Bauxite and Basalt, and fixes YATF. (Yet another texture fail)
Lush8

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Enke wrote:Version 0.4 adds Bauxite and Basalt, and fixes YATF. (Yet another texture fail)
If you continue like that (2 ores = + 1 version number) then you'll be at version 0.200.0 when added 100 ores. 100 ores * 6 (axe, sword, pickaxe, shovel, block, block_in_ground) would create about 600 additional craftings / items. Still want to add that?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

UOAbigail

by UOAbigail » Post

Greetings
Krock wrote:
Enke wrote:Version 0.4 adds Bauxite and Basalt, and fixes YATF. (Yet another texture fail)
If you continue like that (2 ores = + 1 version number) then you'll be at version 0.200.0 when added 100 ores. 100 ores * 6 (axe, sword, pickaxe, shovel, block, block_in_ground) would create about 600 additional craftings / items. Still want to add that?

Actually, not all of the ores would need to have new textures. Some could be hidden ores.

As an example.. in the Moon Realms mod, there is 'Moon Rock' and 'Moon Brick' which use the exact same base texture with no overlay. The Moon Brick is defined as an ore that spawns only within Moon Rock. In the released version of the mod, the Moon Brick was disabled from spawning, but the code was still there. For my personal copy of the mod, I re-enabled it and changed it to have a chance of dropping meteorite chunks instead of nether rack, as I am sure it was likely borrowed code from the Nether mod.

In any event, the reason I bring this up.. it could save some dev time on this mod to have many of these ores spawn as single nodes only with a wide scatter and low probablilty but be hidden within either normal stone or desert stone.

And as for defining 100 picks, shovels, etc... not sure if lua has this functionality or not.. but in old BASIC there was a 'data' statement that allowed you to define a comma-separated list of values and you would use a FOR/NEXT loop to read through the data sequentially.

In either case, I am looking forward to see where this mod goes.

Peace
UOAbigail

Enke

by Enke » Post

Krock wrote:
I disagree. Assuming 100 ores, and 2 ores per version number, we would be at 0.50.0. As far as tools, I'll only have some ores make their own tools, others will just become stone picks or something. Some, like bauxite, may become aluminum when smelted.
UOAbigail wrote:Greetings
[snip]

In any event, the reason I bring this up.. it could save some dev time on this mod to have many of these ores spawn as single nodes only with a wide scatter and low probablilty but be hidden within either normal stone or desert stone.

[snip]

In either case, I am looking forward to see where this mod goes.

Peace
UOAbigail
Hello!

Having some ores be hidden is very interesting. I'm going to consider this heavily in the future. It would work for materials that should be super rare and only spawn in groups of 1 or 2. Anyhow, great idea!
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

John1

by John1 » Post

Some more textures from the list:

Bismuthinite:

Bituminous coal:

Borax:

Enke

by Enke » Post

John1 wrote:Some more textures from the list:
[snip]
Amazing! I'll work on the next version here in a little bit. Thanks!

[Edit] I cannot believe I forgot to ask this: What are your textures licensed under? I want to give proper credit to you.
Last edited by Enke on Sun Mar 23, 2014 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

John1

by John1 » Post

Thanks! =)
License is WTFPL.
Last edited by John1 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

Enke

by Enke » Post

Version 0.5 adds Bismuthine Bronze, Bituminous Coal, and Borax.
John1 wrote:Thanks! =)
License is WTFPL.
Okay. I'll add a notification for that.
Lush8

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I am curious as to whether or not Calinou will allow you to add the remaining ores of his moreores mod to this (tin, silver, and mithril.)

John1

by John1 » Post

Even more textures:

Brimstone:

Calcite:

Cassiterite:

Chalk:

Chert:

Chromite:

Cinnabar:

Enke

by Enke » Post

Lush8