3rd person view

For people working on the C++ code.
CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Post

I tried this on Minetest Direct X dev and it didn't work, what name are you suppose to give it, or just not working on that version.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

This is not a mod which you just copy and rename...

Capaverdeferro

by Capaverdeferro » Post

linux?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Capaverdeferro wrote:linux?
*sigh* Just git clone the repository and compile it.
Back from the dead!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Why has this not been added to Minetest yet?

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Inocudom wrote:Why has this not been added to Minetest yet?
The code used to achieve the 3rd person view is hacky.
It either needs to use pre-defined animations (which is bad) or wait for the server to answer (which is laggy).
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

sfan5 wrote:The code used to achieve the 3rd person view is hacky.
Not anymore.
sfan5 wrote: It either needs to use pre-defined animations (which is bad) or wait for the server to answer (which is laggy).
Why should that be bad? Thats the only way to allow costum models (with other framerates) and to prevent laggy (walking and digging) animations.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

BlockMen wrote:
sfan5 wrote:The code used to achieve the 3rd person view is hacky.
Not anymore.
sfan5 wrote: It either needs to use pre-defined animations (which is bad) or wait for the server to answer (which is laggy).
Why should that be bad? Thats the only way to allow costum models (with other framerates) and to prevent laggy (walking and digging) animations.
...And that is all of the discussion concerning this feature? Really? I guess nobody really cares about it, which is a shame.

Freeminer has this feature in it, but the community of that fork pretty much forced me to eternally divorce it.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

It seems that Blockmen has no idea HOW laggy it is..
Also it's "custom". "CUSTOM", dude, first "U" and then "O", NOT otherwise! You can't just swap letters and pretend that no one cares! For ages different people has told you about this and still you're "costumized" that word so it fits you...
What's worse, you're making this mistake in your mods too!
And then Russian pupils start asking why it's a mistake, 'cause some Blockmen (which should be spelled with "a", not "e", BTW) has wrote it at some English forum which makes him right and those pupils teacher and parents wrong.
Please STOP making this stupid mistake and spell it like this: "custom". Note, that "cost" is NOT the word to check the spelling of "custom" - they're NOT related.
Тьфу, коробит аж!
*IDK how to translate the above one into English, but it's a nice way to say that "this mistake makes me mad"*

Incudom, have you ever seen how it works within Freeminer? It's HORRIBLE. Animations are all messed up.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Apr 06, 2014 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

4aiman wrote:It seems that Blockmen has no idea HOW laggy it is..
Also it's "custom". "CUSTOM", dude, first "U" and then "O", NOT otherwise! You can't just swap letters and pretend that no one cares! For ages different people has told you about this and still you're "costumized" that word so it fits you...
And then Russian pupils start asking why it's a mistake, 'cause some Blockmen (which should be spelled with "a", not "e", BTW) has wrote it at some English forum which makes him right and those pupils teacher and parents wrong.
Please STOP making this stupid mistake and spell it like this: "custom". Note, that "cost" is NOT the word to check the spelling of "custom" - they're NOT related.
Тьфу, коробит аж!
*IDK how to translate the above one into English, but it's a nice way to say that "this mistake makes me mad"*

Incudom, have you ever seen how it works within Freeminer? It's HORRIBLE. Animations are all messed up.

1) I know that my english is not good and that i make mistakes, but i never said that my english good. Furthermore im not a teacher so im not in charge that pupils learn correct english.

2) When i have seen a hint on misspelling i corrected it, so what the hell are you talking about?

3) I know that "BlockMen" is not spelled correct in the sense of a blocky man, but i have chosen that nick because it is everywhere available. And since when has a nick be spelled correct or be logical, 4aiman?

4) This is absolutely OFFtopic and would be better placed in a pm if your real intention would be to help.

5) I dont know if anything got messed up in FM, but that code proller included in FM worked fine in MT. The animation of your character in 3rd person view cant be laggy except you are running the game on an electric toothbrush.

And if you think it is that bad, why dont you fix it? Seems that raging over other ppl and their spelling makes more fun...

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

4aiman wrote:It seems that Blockmen has no idea HOW laggy it is..
Тьфу, коробит аж!

That was uncalled for.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

viewtopic.php?pid=136140#p136140
viewtopic.php?pid=118680#p118680
viewtopic.php?pid=118097#p118097
viewtopic.php?pid=113017#p113017
viewtopic.php?pid=97121#p97121

Uncalled, huh? Search for "costum". I'm sorry for doing this, but it's the only way to not allow some "costum" variables into the engine.

3rd person needs work. A lot. I don't need this feature, but it should be fixed for multiplayer.
For me it's more important to fix Pseudorandom:Next documentation which is currently lying to us.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

I can't compile this on Ubuntu... Cmake runs fine as does make, until it gets to the minetestserver exectable. When it has compiled(?) that, it returns this error:
Spoiler
[ 62%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetestserver.dir/voxelalgorithms.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable ../bin/minetestserver
[ 62%] Built target minetestserver
make: *** [all] Error 2
And I don't see any error messages up to that point... And I'm just compiling as it says to in the readme.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by Amaz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

4aiman wrote:viewtopic.php?pid=136140#p136140

Uncalled, huh? Search for "costum". I'm sorry for doing this, but it's the only way to not allow some "costum" variables into the engine.

3rd person needs work. A lot. I don't need this feature, but it should be fixed for multiplayer.
For me it's more important to fix Pseudorandom:Next documentation which is currently lying to us.
Dude. At that time, I was working on my fork of that mod, and I was getting errors because I was misspelling 'costum'. But then again, it's just a code and as long as you get the code right, it shouldn't be a problem.

What are you doing? Are you working on this patch? Are you working on that mod? Does the misspelling of 'custom' cause any difficulties for you, apart from the general OCD which all grammar nazis get? I worked on it, so I have a right to complain, because it was a general problem in a variable name. Which could be easily fixed. So it was no biggie and I stopped asking.

Now, as far as the patch itself is concerned, I did try the windows build out, and it works well, with no problems apart from the 'pointer in front of head' one. As such, I still request for a GTA 4 style over-the-shoulder-cam to be added, if possible.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

@ hoodedice:
I've answered your questions via PM.
You're free to tell anyone what I've wrote to you or to repost it here if you think that's necessary or someone would ask you (on which behalf I doubt).

@ Amaz:
Please, describe the activity you're performing to build: commands, listings, debug output etc.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

I download it from github, extract it to my home folder, run

Code: Select all

cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1
Which works fine, no errors or anything, then I run

Code: Select all

make -2
And when it has built minetestserver, it gives the error that I posted above. What do you mean by debug output? Oh, and I can compile other versions of Minetest fine...
Last edited by Amaz on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

I think that the git is broken
I am CWz on the following servers: VanessaE's servers. If you see CWz on server other then those then chances are it's a Fake. you can contact me on irc.freenode.net or by PM if you are not sure

t3tNU9hNyeSJxFOmM5fmtGxlfoJrcBCg

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

4aiman wrote:viewtopic.php?pid=136140#p136140

No, you are not sorry for doing that, so dont lie. And its pitful how you get worked up over the fact i wrote a "costum" instead of "custom".

Furthermore, you dont understand even a little how the code for 3rd person works. The animations of other players is not effected and handled by server (what can cause lags). This patch only controls the animation of your own player model and only in your client. So you complain about something that is always present and is not related to this patch.

You seem having serious problems boy if you get worked up that much over it, even more by the fact you dont have any opportunity to protect the engine against "some "costum" variables "...

@Amaz, sorry, i have no idea what could cause this. for me it builds fine under win7 and MSVC, but since im not familar with ubuntu and make i cant really help you here i guess. But in general this branch is kinda outdated.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Okay... Does this have anything to do with it?
Spoiler
[ 37%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/camera.cpp.o
/home/charles/minetest/src/camera.cpp:399:29: error: ‘THIRD_FRONT’ was not declared in this scope
/home/charles/minetest/src/camera.cpp:475:42: warning: suggest parentheses around ‘&&’ within ‘||’ [-Wparentheses]
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/camera.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 38%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetestserver.dir/content_abm.cpp.o
If not, I guess I'll just have to try it on a virtual machine... Thanks for your help though... Is it possible to build minetest without building minetestserver? Because it stops working only after it has built minetestserver...

@4aiman
Does it really matter? I think that you are making much ado about nothing.
And who on earth bases their spelling of a forum?!?
Last edited by Amaz on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

*I'm not a boy, I'm a real puppet!*

But enough joking. Gettin' serious.

Am I lying? Nope.
Do you believe it? I don't care.
Just fix your custom. You were asked at least 3 times and you've said you always fix misspells.
Or were you lying? But you shouldn't care what I'm telling you, probably.

On the other hand, there are other things to be fixed.
Don't tell me I don't understand something just because you want to say it.
You're only half true. Namely, my issues really have nothing to do with the patch itself.

BUT!

But if it (this patch) DOES introduce some feature then it SHOULD fix all issues that were revealed after it was applied. Even if that means rewriting descent amounts of code and fixing other coders errors/optimizing.

W/o this patch all animations work great BOTH single~ and multiplayer.
With it I had issues. Over LAN.

Otherwise this patch would remain "hacky".
Amaz wrote:And who on earth bases their spelling of a forum?!?
Believe me or not, thousands of Russian pupils do...

Also, don't make me some kind of an invalid person.
Also, should I have typoglycemia, I wouldn't be able to find this misspells as well as I wouldn't have complained about those. Have you ever read the article?..

You have "THIRD_FRONT" being not declared. That should cause problems.
I'll try to build this under ubuntu and debian and tell you the results if you want, though.
Once again, PM me the whole listing. You can use > to redirect make output to a file.
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Amaz wrote:Okay... Does this have anything to do with it?
Spoiler
/home/charles/minetest/src/camera.cpp:399:29: error: ‘THIRD_FRONT’ was not declared in this scope
/home/charles/minetest/src/camera.cpp:475:42: warning: suggest parentheses around ‘&&’ within ‘||’ [-Wparentheses]
If not, I guess I'll just have to try it on a virtual machine... Thanks for your help though... Is it possible to build minetest without building minetestserver? Because it stops working only after it has built minetestserver...
Yes, i guess that causes the problem. Check if game.h contains https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... ame.h#L127 and if camera.cpp includes game.h https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... ra.cpp#L41
And you can build just the client by specifying -DBUILD_SERVER=0

@4aiman
So, you are sorry for searching all my topics for "costum" and posting it? And im santa...
I fixed misspelling when someone told me, but since im just human i can also forget something.

And wrong, since this patch does not have any influence on the animations of other players it also has not to "fix" that. Furthermore its not easy fixable, since the lags can be caused by different problems, like slow server, slow connection, slowing down mods, etc
4aiman wrote:W/o this patch all animations work great BOTH single~ and multiplayer.
With it I had issues. Over LAN.
Ah, so the animations in singleplayer work without this patch, very interesting. And how do you see these animations, without 3rd person view? Since without this patch there isnt even a model in the world for singleplayer.

But i think its courageous of you to show everyone that you dont have any idea how things work.

Amaz

by Amaz » Post

BlockMen wrote:
Amaz wrote:Okay... Does this have anything to do with it?
Spoiler
Yes, i guess that causes the problem. Check if game.h contains https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... ame.h#L127 and if camera.cpp includes game.h https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest/bl ... ra.cpp#L41
And you can build just the client by specifying -DBUILD_SERVER=0
It contains both of those...
4aiman wrote: You have "THIRD_FRONT" being not declared. That should cause problems.
I'll try to build this under ubuntu and debian and tell you the results if you want, though.
Once again, PM me the whole listing. You can use > to redirect make output to a file.
How do I declare THIRD_FRONT?
Could you build under Ubuntu/Debian please? Thanks!
I've sent a PM.

Thanks for all your help!

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

@4aiman: I'll just say this:

There's a nice way of asking, and a bad way. You are certainly being overly aggressive for something that should definitely not be a problem. You are going off topic on a very serious discussion on a feature that is strongly needed for the game. You are not aiding in the development of this patch, or providing feedback, or working on anything else since you were unbanned. Moreover, you do not seemingly possess any knowledge on the topic. As such, I suggest you refrain from posting anything that is directly unrelated to this patch.

BlockMen is German. You can't get him for being wrong with his spelling as he's not a native English speaker. Moreover, he's a Core Developer, and as such, his requirement is to make good commits, not fluency in English.

The Minetest forums are related to the Minetest engine and modifications. This is not an 'English Oriented' forum. While grammatically correct English is recommended, it is not required. Why do I not see you ranting at ZachyGames, or that 170328-something guy?

*Drops the mic*

Lastly, have you been trying out this feature in FreeMiner?

Last edited by hoodedice on Mon Apr 07, 2014 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

@ Blockmen:
How can I see animations?
Logging in with another account.
With this patch animations are broken. And in the 3rd person animations are broken too.
W/o this patch animation's "ok".

@ Hoodedice
A tripple facepalm it is:
- I failed to make Blockmen realize he should put more work onto this.
- Everyone see is just my aggression while it's 'ok' to piss off others.
- I failed to make my posts short enough to be easy to actually be read.

But to answer your question, hoodedice, yes. I've tested it in Freeminer too. And there too it works wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Amaz, I'll PM you once I'm done with testing. This people are too exited about fixing anything.

Edit: Issue has been solved.
It's "CAMERA_MODE_THIRD_FRONT" not the "THIRD_FRONT".
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Apr 07, 2014 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

4aiman wrote:@ Blockmen:
How can I see animations?
Logging in with another account.
With this patch animations are broken. And in the 3rd person animations are broken too.
W/o this patch animation's "ok".
ok, now you have proven that you cant differ between single- and multiplayer mode, congrats.

@Amaz, if you are still interested in this patch, its rebased and improved now, also it should compile without any problems. But keep in mind, that the animations in multiplayer dont work since no server is using this patch yet and therefore your client has not information how to animate your player.

EDIT: And a new win-build https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlpzolw5wurst ... .9-tpv.zip
Last edited by BlockMen on Tue Apr 08, 2014 18:06, edited 1 time in total.