paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.6.
Added turquoise fresh ice node.
Bugfix: stone drops default:cobble.
Added red cobble, texture by brunob.santos.
Rewrote clouds using existing fissure and humid noises, cloud noise deleted.
Clouds are now in the top node layer of each chunk, from a chosen minimum YCLOMIN to the top of atmosphere YMAX.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Ok i'll try to search for seams.
It's a cool idea making it some sort of "survivalish" impression and it gives it more value in multiplayer (I didn't found any ore when mining randomly so was afraid of no ore at all on map lol).
Found a few hours ago while flying around randomly :

A big pile of obsidian (it goes about 10 nodes under water), but no iron pickaxe lol, well, that's some ores anyway lol.

Edit : each update we have to generate a new world to see changes I guess ? Oh and Nether mod is PilzAdams one.
Last edited by Mikerhinos on Wed Apr 09, 2014 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Mikerhinos wrote:ach update we have to generate a new world to see changes I guess ?
You just have to generate new chunks outside of the already generated map, ex. "/teleport 1337 10 -1337"
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Yes that's what I did, hope that surface won't change much because I plan to play on it in multiplayer, so if a new chunk gets generated 40 nodes higher than one from precedent version it will feel weird when playing lol

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

I perhaps should go searching for ores myself to make sure they can be found within a reasonable time, i might also make them denser within the seams so they are more easily seen in the fissure walls. Once you find a seam though this mod is actually more generous than default, because i want there to be a huge amount of materials available for building ambitious projects.
Yes PilzAdam's nether mod is incompatible as that depends on having the default mapgen.
The obsidian hills are actually a result of the volcano-forming maths, they are actually volcanos whose vents have not broken through to the surface, i think of them as inactive volcanos.
I can't guarantee the surface level won't change but i am trying my best to tune and stabilise that early on :)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

New version, still called 0.3.6
I explored the fissures with them all lit up, the ores were too hard to find.
Strata are vertically more closely packed, ore seams are thicker and denser.
Added lux ore to dimly light the fissures, these drop lux crystals which can be crafted with glass to lights.
Red cobble can now be cooked to default:desert_stone.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Tried it 2h, don't really see the difference with ores :s
Found a fissure that goes down to -485m, and after mining around while going down, all I had was +600 nodes : around 30 coppers and a ton of stone/sand/dirt, no iron, no coal to melt ores/sand or make lights with sticks :(
Don't know if it's possible but it would be cool to have a way of changing each ores generating, maybe in init.lua, with like "ore_iron=1.23","ore_copper=0.87" where 1=normal, 0.75=-25% of generating, 1.32=+32% etc...
Lux crystals are a good idea, really helps in the fissures, problem is to me that it's really deep and hard to go back to the surface.
Keep up the good work ! (sand/dirt not damaging pickaxes is great BTW).

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

(sand/dirt not damaging pickaxes is great BTW)
That is because in MT, if you use an improper tool for the job, the hand will be used instead. Nothing will happen to the tool. Try digging stone with a diamond spade.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thanks Mikerhinos this helps me tune the ores. The parameters to make ores more common are:

Code: Select all

local ORETHI = 0.005 -- Ore seam thickness tuner
local SEAMT = 0.05 -- Seam threshold, width of seams
The seams have already been thickened up but they could do with being much wider and therefore easier to find, try SEAMT = 0.4, or = 2 for continuous strata of ores. I'll test with SEAMT = 2 ...

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

nice mod
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.7
I settled on SEAMT = 0.2, this makes the seams much wider and a little easier to find, you can increase that parameter towards 0.4 to make ores easier to find.
I quadrupled the number of coal seams so there is one roughly every 128 vertical nodes, they are easier to find in cliffs and in the fissure entrances. Tip: find a fault line (marked by a continuous line of cliffs) and follow it, eventually (hopefully) it will cross some coal seams.
Lux ore is now an ore in it's own seam.
Jungletree roots have been removed because they were griefed by the mapgen method.
I'm now modulating cliffs with the strata noise instead of the temp and humid noises, so the landscape has changed a little.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Is it possible to reduce seam size but make more on map by editing the init ? (I believe that for the 1st one I just have to lower SEAMT value)
I was exploring down a fissure in fly mode to see the changes, finding no ore except a magical copper field (in fact it was just a few copper ores near to the surface, I just said that for the fun of it lol), when suddenly

Coal everywhere.
So I'd like to have just small seams but like 3 times more for the basic ores mainly (iron and coal), rare seams seem to be fine as I didn't found one after a few minutes of exploring.
Sorry to ask a new thing at each version lol, maybe I could change it myself if I'd learn a bit of lua.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

New version, still 0.3.7
A while back i added faults to create paragen type cliffs, these never really looked right and there are already cliffs in the mountains so faults are removed, allowing me to remove the processing heavy 3D fault noise, saves roughly 0.5 second on chunk gen time.
Surface ice in tundra changed from sea ice to turquoise fresh ice.

Mikerhinos, i'll get back to you on that later.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Just tried it, chunks generate pretty fast now good job !
Seams seem quite well on size to me, and as it's lua editable it's perfect.
I'd just personnally like to be able to edit seam "quantity" for each ore, and it would be perfect :)
Thanks again for the time you spend to get that mod really polished for us (I hope that I'm not the only one to use it and asking for stuff lol).

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

No problem Mikerhinos.
At line 368 these line pairs create the coal seams.

if densityper >= 0 and densityper <= ORETHI * 4 then
data[vi] = c_stocoal
elseif densityper >= 0.3 and densityper <= 0.3 + ORETHI * 4 then
data[vi] = c_stocoal
elseif densityper >= 0.5 and densityper <= 0.5 + ORETHI * 4 then
data[vi] = c_stocoal
elseif densityper >= 0.8 and densityper <= 0.8 + ORETHI * 4 then
data[vi] = c_stocoal
'densityper' is a variable that cycles from 0 to 1 every 512 nodes you descend below ground, so there are currently 4 coal seams per 512 vertical nodes, to add more seams add extra line pairs directly after the above lines, each line pair being of the form:

elseif densityper >= X and densityper <= X + ORETHI * 4 then
data[vi] = c_stocoal
where X is a decimal number between 0 and 1 that fits inbetween the other ore and sandstone strata, so you will have to study the 'densityper' numbers for the sandstone and other ores and try to avoid an overlap.

Advice for testing ore distribution: edit the end of the init.lua to:

vm:set_data(data)
vm:set_lighting({day=14, night=14})
--vm:calc_lighting()
vm:write_to_map(data)
... the vm:calc_lighting() is commented out, and light value of all nodes is set to maximum, fly down through the ground beside the now lit-up fissures.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Apr 12, 2014 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

^ Magma vent, sandstone strata, solid coal and gravel seams, precious ores more rare within their seams
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:47, edited 3 times in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

I tested the difficulty of finding coal exposed in mountain walls, it took about 1 hour of flying, so perhaps roughly 10 hours exploring time, seems about right to me this forces the player to travel, see some scenery and perhaps find a good place to settle. Another good place to look for coal is inside the volcanos, in the wall of the magma vent. So the advice is head for the mountain ridges where there are many cliffs and a few volcanos to see ores in.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Didn't try the lua editing yet, but coal is really fine now, I found a seam flying around like 5mn in a fissure near to surface so it's great because for me coal is the most important ore : to find almost any ore we need to mine, but without light it's impossible to go deep, so we need coal to craft torches, and when we find ores, we need it too so we can melt it.
Only thing I had on the today gen (still 0.3.7, just another world) was that I spawned in a stone mountain, so no tool=no way to escape, had to come back in creative mode and dig up and fly about 30 nodes to find fresh air lol, but it's the only time I had that issue so it's not a problem.
The mod should be integrated in default mapgens, it's really a good point for the game IMHO.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Wow... I too find myself just flying around, amazed by the scenery being generated before me, and an hour or more slips by before I know it.

Here are a few suggestions that came to mind while I explored the gorgeous terrain.

Biome Transitions

Would it be possible to have tundra biomes surround taiga and snowy plains biomes to better transition into grasslands and forests?

At present there are biomes of deep winter right next to spring-like grasslands.

Mid-Water

One of the many things I'm thrilled with about "Watershed" is it's focus on landscape aesthetics. The turquoise"freshwater" is an example of that. I found that freshwater doesn't mix with regular water (they are two different nodes). At times I would come across rivers where one bend was freshwater while the adjoining bends were regular water. The visual effect looked really out of place.

An idea came to mind. What about creating a third water type whose purpose is to blend freshwater when it come in contact with regular water? A middle water?

Perhaps by using ABMs for watershed:freshwater and watershed:freshwaterflow with default:water_source and default:water_flowing specified as neighbors to replace the neighboring freshwater or default water, whichever, with a midwater_source/flowing that is a color somewhere between freshwater's turquoise and regular water's blue.

Also, I noticed that freshwater isn't renewable like default water is.

Mist Instead of Clouds

The static watershed:cloud(s) seem a bit too rigid. High-mountain mists came to mind. Perhaps making the cloud texture a flat, horizontal, single-side textured node that waves (waving = 1) and uses the group property "leafdecay=3" to cause individual mist nodes to randomly disappear while another ABM would put them back by seeking a mist node in each eight horizontal positions around the empty air space. If a special "seed" mist node is found then the ABM will place more, regular, ws_clouds around it.

Limit Snowdrift to Only Snow Biomes

Is it possible to have "Snowdrift" create snowfall only in taiga and snowy plain biomes? I'd like to have snowfall in my long-term worlds but it looks really out of place when the snowfall occurs in an areas no where near a snow biome of any decent size and only deposits a few random patches of snow.

Ok, there's my 2-cents and a plug-nickel's worth. As is "Watershed" is an amazing mod.

Thanks, paramat, for adding another gem to Minetest. ;)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Oops, i forgot to change the spawning function when i removed the cliffs, this causes bizarre spawn locations, fix coming soon.
Last edited by paramat on Mon Apr 14, 2014 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

See this biome site that inspired my biome system http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/world_biomes.htm if anything taiga is the transition from tundra to temperate biomes.
Priority now is testing and settling the primary surface shape / elevation map, then i want to add many more biomes (although i don't own Minecraft i love watching the multiplayer videos, and have been inspired by Biomes A Plenty. I intend to use another large scale noise to slowly switch through several biomes in each of the 9 temp/humidity sectors, so you can have multiple temperate forests ... i could also move to a 16 sector system.

Mid water could be done easily by just making all water at y = 2 mid coloured, might try it since it's so easy. Renewable river water spreads it's sources and makes a mess of the inclined shape of the rivers.

Those clouds are at every 80 vertical nodes and extend throughout the atmosphere and floatlands.

Good idea to make snowdrift compatible ...

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.8
New acacialeaf, acaciatree, pinetree nodes. Bugix spawn function. Adjustable biome blend.
EDIT: Also thicker redstone layer in deserts, seaice thickens with lower temperature, papyrus is on riverbanks not beaches.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:48, edited 2 times in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Added pinewood and acaciawood planks.
Top of beach sand now varies from sea level to y = 9, golden grasses added to high beach to create dunes.
Lavacooling abm slowly creates obsidian on water contact.
At last a new appletree thats not a box on a stick =P.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Icesheets / icebergs with fissures, varying depth/height, snowblock surface.
Fix for bug that created thin floating layes of surface nodes: initialise 'under' table.
Added all nodes to scanning of generated chuink below.

Terrain and biome noises tuned, more and larger floatlands.

Bugfix spawn function.
2 iron ore layers per vertical 512n, as it should be a little easier to find than the more precious copper, gold, mese, diamond.

Note that when startiing a new world its possible to be in an archipelago area with no rivers and you may need to travel 8000n to find higher land with rivers.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:48, edited 2 times in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.12
Snowy berg if humid. Harmonic noise returns. Flatter lowlands. New node icydirt: tundra surface.

Chunk gen time up to roughly 5s non-luaJIT, certainly too long, but harmonic noise is one of my big ideas i can't leave it out of this.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Apr 19, 2014 19:04, edited 1 time in total.