[Mod] MAPP - map for Minetest - optimized! [0.2.4]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

lightonflux wrote: I was talking about this one. I already cloned your repo hours ago. :)
Ah, ok. Do you want by any chance to maintain the mod? I've modified the original only slightly in order to demonstrate that larger settings are not particulary helpful, yet at lower settings, nice maps can be created (more like floor plans of houses).

For a real usable map, another apprach might be more helpful. The overview images minetestmapper creates are pretty huge - and it's difficult to find your house there due to there not beeing too many landmarks.

Perhaps one way to do a more helpful map would be to use minetestmapper and let it put a red dot wherever a player placed a node (=one that mapgen doesn't place), a blue dot for sea, a yellow one for desert/desert stone and a green one for everything else. That way, roads and buildings might become more visible, and the map might be a good enough abstraction. None of the current maps abstracts anything. Torches might be a problem, and the map making program might have to check a few nodes below the surface in case someone used a desert sandstone roof or something.
A list of my mods can be found here.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Turns out you can have 128 sized maps, you just need to halve the image size (and spacing) to fit them all in.

64 map

128 map

This is in the default window size, it's obviously better in fullscreen.
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Jan 26, 2014 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

mauvebic wrote: Turns out you can have 128 sized maps, you just need to halve the image size (and spacing) to fit them all in.
The code ought to do that automaticly. It seems not enough of the area got loaded for a 128x128 map in my singleplayer world. Still, even 128x128 does not give a very good overview. Some towns are much larger than that. I'm afraid we need something better.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Sokomine wrote:
mauvebic wrote: Turns out you can have 128 sized maps, you just need to halve the image size (and spacing) to fit them all in.
The code ought to do that automaticly. It seems not enough of the area got loaded for a 128x128 map in my singleplayer world. Still, even 128x128 does not give a very good overview. Some towns are much larger than that. I'm afraid we need something better.
In all honesty, it think textures in the map screen should have reduced resolutions in general, regardless of what the size of the map is. The reason that I say this is because smaller textures require less time, CPU, and GPU.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Sokomine wrote: The code ought to do that automaticly. It seems not enough of the area got loaded for a 128x128 map in my singleplayer world. Still, even 128x128 does not give a very good overview. Some towns are much larger than that. I'm afraid we need something better.
Like I told you, you can't use get node for large maps, you'll get unloaded chunks and an incomplete map.

This is my 256 map, it generates quickly enough though the formspec itself is sluggish loading 256^2 images.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I think it would be a good idea to listen to Mauvebic's advise. He knows his stuff.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Take a look at the link below:
viewtopic.php?id=8489

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Inocudom wrote:I think it would be a good idea to listen to Mauvebic's advise. He knows his stuff.
lol That was a pretty awesome post there Inocudom. :)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Tested that and now may repeat dev's words: "this needs work".
It works, but needs some time.
Colours, taken from textures are wrong half of a time. There are no settings/hotkeys to change look & feel, size or anything else of a map.

Still want a mod that adds simple maps. Knowing where you are is like cheating. I think that that map should be shown only after something was unlocked/crafted/collected. Until then a map that shows you only a territory where it was crafted (and surroundings) is the best way to keep players wandering and exploring.

Is it possible to use LVM to READ nodes?
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

UOAbigail

by UOAbigail » Post

4aiman wrote:Tested that and now may repeat dev's words: "this needs work".
It works, but needs some time.
Colours, taken from textures are wrong half of a time. There are no settings/hotkeys to change look & feel, size or anything else of a map.

Still want a mod that adds simple maps. Knowing where you are is like cheating. I think that that map should be shown only after something was unlocked/crafted/collected. Until then a map that shows you only a territory where it was crafted (and surroundings) is the best way to keep players wandering and exploring.

Is it possible to use LVM to READ nodes?
Greetings ;)

Just wanted to say than you for the original implementation of this mod (which I am using in my singleplayer game)

Wanted to comment regarding whether using certain map functionality modes would be considered cheating or not. I believe it would really depend on the context of the game. Creative mode games, for instance, probably won't care if you can see beyond sight range as an overhead view map for long distances, whereas in a survival mode game I am sure they might frown on seeing anything from a map view beyond what is within digging distance.

To me, a perfect implementation of this mod would be to allow all viariants of the mod thus far as a single mod using configuration settings to determine which behaviors of the map are enabled.

As an example..

Configuration setting to allow map to be repeatedly updated with current location of player (like a portable radar) as it currently is in my version (using mapp:map item to check the area around you as you mine or wander the landscape)

It would be interesting, however, to have a portable map item that shows a 'where was this map drawn?' view. As an example, you go to Town #1, draw a map... go to town #2 and post the map for players to see. When they open the map in town #2, it shows Town #1 map that was drawn.

I have always been a fan of 'more options' 'more stuff' etc, so combining the various forks that have been made into a single, powerful mod would be a benefit, imo. Even if each fork required it's own item definitions (like mapp:map, mapp:map_1, etc) with each definition having its own craft recipe and functionality.

If I were as knowledgeable with lua as I was with Neverwinter Nights scripting, I would offer to do this. As it is, however, I am still in the basic learning phase of lua, so would be a while before I could contribute anything useful beyond minor tweaks.

In either case, thanks again for your work, and do not be discouraged by any negative feedback in this, or any other project. Sometimes the best ideas come from these sources.

Peace
UOAbigail

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

@UOAbigail: Thanks :)
I'm through with the phase "get angry on negative feedback". I have a whole year to decide whether I want to be back here... Although it's always positive feedback that helps to go on ;)
I want to put my signature under every your word in your previous post ;)
If you have any ideas, feel free to PM me. I'm fond of making prototypes.

@ all:
It's not nice to do so, but if no one can answer whether one can READ world with LVM, then maybe someone could explain how to use LVM? Lua_api.txt IS confusing...

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Nice mod!
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello

Lovely mod.
is there a possibilty to zoom?
if not could anyone make it?

Please,
JPR

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

JPRuehmann wrote:Hello

Lovely mod.
is there a possibilty to zoom?
if not could anyone make it?

Please,
JPR
What do you expect of zoom?
If it should show the same piece of a map, but 2x,3x,4x etc, then I may look into it. Maybe like a zoom in M$ Windows.

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Post

Nope.
The same as in fly higher or lower.
Sorry, I had not seen or understand the use of the left mousebutton.
That is doing what I meant.

The only thing is that it is not very Intuitive I think
The Idea to Implement the Map as Tool so it would be displayed as you took it would be the best I think.
But then, it has to be made possible to change the Zoom of the Map in its active state.

Thanks,
JPR

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

JPRuehmann wrote:The same as in fly higher or lower.
That's exactly what I've asked. Or no?
Suppose I see 100x100 area while flying at y=100. Then I land and see only 30x30 area.
On a map this area would be shown using the same size of a formspec.
So, when on land this would be zoomed x3. On y=100 it would be x1. At y=200 it would be 0.5.
JPRuehmann wrote:Sorry, I had not seen or understand the use of the left mouse button.
The only thing is that it is not very Intuitive I think.
It's not intuitive if you're a minecrafter :)
It was so for me, but not anymore. In MT some things work differently.

Anyway, it wasn't my idea to make a tool and to use LMB, but I like it.
Besides, how else would you be able to see a map?...
WAIT A SEC! I've just got a GREAT IDEA ))))
JPRuehmann wrote:But then, it has to be made possible to change the Zoom of the Map in its active state.
How would you like to zoom it? I mean, name the way :)

For some reason I can't say that I have fully understood you. Could you explain what you expect to see in a new version like this:
I do this and the map zooms in.
I do this and the map zooms out.
I do this and the map changes it's size.
etc...

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello
I´ve never tried MC because it seems suspect to me
MT is the first approach to such games for me.
And it is realy fun.
That I do say it is non intuitive doesnt mean that it is for everyone.
It only means that it is for me.

my thought was that if i took the tool by highlightin it in the toolbar the map gets displayed imediately and if I click right it zooms out and left zooms in for example or by left Clicking it rotates through the zoom modes. But I don´t want to force anyone to do my Ideas it works in the way as it is. If you think it is better the Way it is now, fine with me. Iff I desperately want this I have to learn lua and the MT API and do it myself I think.

It was only a thought.
Thanks,
JPR

P.S. I love this mod.

mimilus
GitHub: mimilus
IRC: Mimilus

by mimilus » Post

With your idea all time you generate map, and for servers with a lot of people it's bad
Now like it is you choose definition of the map and after generate the map, servers like it as it
Last edited by mimilus on Thu Apr 10, 2014 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
minetest 0.4.9
Ubuntu 12.04

UOAbigail

by UOAbigail » Post

Greetings ;)

I am not sure which context of 'zoom' is being discussed here.. but I will describe three possible versions..

In the first version, we click the map and see a 30 tile by 30 tile radius displayed (as an example)
When we zoom in.. we still have the same 30 tile by 30 tiles displayed.. just with bigger graphic images for the nodes.

In the second version, we start by clicking and get, for example, 100 tiles by 100 tiles with very small graphics. We click to zoom 'in' and get the center 50 tiles by 50 tiles with bigger graphics. Click again and it's now the center 25 tiles by 25 tiles with even bigger graphic representations of the nodes. Optionally, you could select a center point within the original 100 by 100.. but this would likely require a formspec interface.

A third version could be either of the two prior versions but with the additional ability to raise or lower the altitude at which the map gathers it's data. Since minetest does not use normal geometry (x/y being north/south and east/west with z being altitude) I wold assume this version would alter the 'y' axis up or down in order to center the map altitude. I know that seems about as clear as mud but I am truly trying to provide ideas and be helpful hehe.

In any case.. still love your mod as is ;)

Peace
UOAbigail

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Guys, I've struggled with opposite opinions more than enough to appreciate your kind attitude, so no need to apologise :)

I want to understand what's the context of 'zoom' here too.
It's not difficult to make another version of MAPP w/o deleting/affecting this one.
And I'm all for the changes to make it better. It's only a prototype, after all :)
Just make yourself a little bit clear ;)

Also, I like the idea to cycle through the zooms by LBM/RMB clicks. To show the map I can use HUD, so those clicks would be possible to make (currently this uses formspecs and locks any controllable input).

UOAbigail, I think it's the 2nd definition. At least it seems so to me. JPRuehmann, could you confirm?

mimilus has a point, though. And I see no way to fix that within lua...
For singleplayer it won't be too much. But for a server... I'm looking forward gsmapper. It's written in C and incorporated into the Minetest's and Freeminer's unofficial engines. If you wouldn't be able to find a link, I will help you.
Last edited by 4aiman on Thu Apr 10, 2014 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello

Yes that is the Point.
But without the initial Click.
The map should be viewed imediately when its selected in the Tool-Bar.

But as I said it´s only an Idea.

Yes gsmapper would be the best solution but God knows if and when it wil be merged and it won´t work standalone. So it could be that we have to live with the two solutions that we have now (map and mapp) and mapp is much better until now, since it is faster and has at least zoom at all.

So let I hope that I don´t make you to Angry, so that you will develop this mod further.
Thanks,
JPR

u34

by u34 » Post

4aiman wrote:I'm looking forward gsmapper. It's written in C and incorporated into the Minetest's and Freeminer's unofficial engines. If you wouldn't be able to find a link, I will help you.
please ... a playable version for win...

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

JPRuehmann wrote:Hello

Yes that is the Point.
But without the initial Click.
The map should be viewed imediately when its selected in the Tool-Bar.

But as I said it´s only an Idea.

Yes gsmapper would be the best solution but God knows if and when it wil be merged and it won´t work standalone. So it could be that we have to live with the two solutions that we have now (map and mapp) and mapp is much better until now, since it is faster and has at least zoom at all.

So let I hope that I don´t make you to Angry, so that you will develop this mod further.
Thanks,
JPR
Gsmapper's mapping feature better make it into Minetest. I will tell everyone that right now.
Last edited by Inocudom on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Inocudom wrote:Gsmapper's mapping feature better make it into Minetest. I will tell everyone that right now.
Which one of gsmappers do you prefer?
Freeminer has it's own version of gsmapper ;)

dgm5555

Re: [Mod] MAPP - map for Minetest - optimized! [0.2.4]

by dgm5555 » Post

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I've not found mapp to produce very good quality maps, as they're very small and only take account of terrain. minetestmapper (viewtopic.php?id=49) or it's much faster numby sibling (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8730) is much more like I'd expect. Are there some settings I'm missing (and yes I'm running the latest version from github).
If server speed is an issue, would be a simple way of using the png output from something like minetestmapper as the map, and update it with player location icon. This could give a really fast and overview of the minetest continent. It could either be updated on world load/shutdown/background cron/user request if needed.

I have no idea what gsmapper does, as the post starts with a bunch of people flaming each other, and doesn't contain any screenshots.