New to Minetest

era_athene

New to Minetest

by era_athene » Post

Hi Everyone,
I am new to minetest, I found the program when i was playing Globeminner and saw that minetest was the core program and have downloaded the newest version of minetest 0.4.9, I am not a programmer, but i do have some ideas, me and my family are playing Globeminner and might switch to Minetest when i figure out how to make my own server, also the mods for minetest do work in Globeminner (well some of them) - Globeminner is made by some of your core developers of minetest mods and my family do love building things and i thought of joing minetest forums so i can get some help and give new ideas for mods

Thank you

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Welcome to the original Minetest-core forums!
Post your ideas into "Feature Discussion" and mod wishes into "Modding General" -> "Post your mod requests/ideas here".
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

era_athene wrote:Globeminner is made by some of your core developers of minetest mods
Welcome to the forums.

No, it isn't. I've never seen any core Minetest or Freeminer (an established fork of Minetest) developer working on Globeminner.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

era_athene wrote:Globeminner is made by some of your core developers of minetest
Nope nope nope nope. Also, I would watch out talking about globeminner on here. That has been a source of controversy recently. (you can replicate the globeminner gameplay by installing some mods)
Last edited by Evergreen on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Welcome to the Minetest forums!

I see that you would like to make a server. Would you like to make one on your local network, such that only your family members can play, or an internet one, where everyone on the internet can play?
Last edited by hoodedice on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Globeminner basically took our work and sell it. They did nothing except adding a different logo.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

era_athene wrote: when i figure out how to make my own server,
There's a nice thread here for Windows users needing help on starting a server (under Linux, it is easier). You might also consider joining one of the existing servers. If you have small children in your family, perhaps one of VanessaEs servers (there are diffrent kinds of worlds and sets of mods installed) or linuxgaming.us might be a of intrest as those servers place special value on beeing family-friendly and avoiding undesired language. It's usually much more fun building on a public server and enjoying the buildings of other players as well :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Sokomine wrote:
There's a nice thread here for Windows users needing help on starting a server (under Linux, it is easier). You might also consider joining one of the existing servers. If you have small children in your family, perhaps one of VanessaEs servers (there are diffrent kinds of worlds and sets of mods installed) or linuxgaming.us might be a of intrest as those servers place special value on beeing family-friendly and avoiding undesired language. It's usually much more fun building on a public server and enjoying the buildings of other players as well :-)
Welcome to the community!

A word of caution. Even with the rules in place against swearing, it does happen, and there is some innuendo-type discussion every now and then. It's not as bad as some I've seen, but you may want to know this beforehand. Also, all of VanessaE's servers, ShadowNinja's server, Kizeren's server, and a few other servers are chat-connected via IRC. Most of the users (my best guess is about 85%) are anywhere between 8 and 18 years old. Of that, the majority seem to be 10-12. You won't have much to worry about, but as with anything, there will be variations. :-)
Last edited by Enke on Sat Apr 05, 2014 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Enke wrote:
Sokomine wrote:
Welcome to the community!

A word of caution. Even with the rules in place against swearing, it does happen, and there is some innuendo-type discussion every now and then. It's not as bad as some I've seen, but you may want to know this beforehand. Also, all of VanessaE's servers, ShadowNinja's server, Kizeren's server, and a few other servers are chat-connected via IRC. Most of the users (my best guess is about 85%) are anywhere between 8 and 18 years old. Of that, the majority seem to be 10-12. You won't have much to worry about, but as with anything, there will be variations. :-)
Yes, the problem is that we can't prevent the swearing before it happens. That is where a swear filter would come in handy. How ever, like Enke said, you can't really prevent the innuendo stuff.
Back from the dead!

era_athene

by era_athene » Post

Thank you for the welcomes and i will not mention said game anymore and my kids are 9 and 11 and know not to swear and i will keep the swearing and other stuff out of forums. and i look forward to suggesting ideas soon - and i will try all of your advice and i do love the mods everyone are making and keep up the good work

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

era_athene wrote:Thank you for the welcomes and i will not mention said game anymore and my kids are 9 and 11 and know not to swear and i will keep the swearing and other stuff out of forums. and i look forward to suggesting ideas soon - and i will try all of your advice and i do love the mods everyone are making and keep up the good work
You got ripped off, buying that game. Sorry about that.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

GMYTREAL

Re: New to Minetest

by GMYTREAL » Post

era_athene wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am new to minetest, I found the program when i was playing Globeminner and saw that minetest was the core program and have downloaded the newest version of minetest 0.4.9, I am not a programmer, but i do have some ideas, me and my family are playing Globeminner and might switch to Minetest when i figure out how to make my own server, also the mods for minetest do work in Globeminner (well some of them) - Globeminner is made by some of your core developers of minetest mods and my family do love building things and i thought of joing minetest forums so i can get some help and give new ideas for mods

Thank you
I would like you all to know that Globeminner has stopped being sold for a while. It may be sold again, or never again.

The Globeminner Team.
GMYTREAL

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: New to Minetest

by Wuzzy » Post

Let me make one thing perfectly clear:
As long you obey the software licenses (i.e. LGPLv2.1 for Minetest, other licenses for mods), selling Minetest is not against the license and does not constitute a copyright violation. In other words, this is perfectly fine.

The most important obligations under LGPLv2.1 can be summarized as:
  • Credit the authors correctly (easy if you don't deliberately remove or fake the credits in Minetest)
  • Share the source code and any other files files of your fork (easiest way: upload the repository of your fork in a public place; make that repository known)
  • Do not change or remove the license
As long you follow these simple rules, you're pretty much free to go and you have nothing to fear. You may use, share, sell, make derivates, share these derivates of Minetest. Note that these essential freedoms are almost always denied to you for most software. Minetest is different. :-)

That's the deal when we release a software under a free software license. This particular license is a so-called copyleft license, the point of it is that every user has the same freedoms that you enjoy.

The mere act of selling is in and itself not an evil act and not against the concept of free software. You are not obliged to share your profits with anyone. But you still could, if you want to.

Note I am myself not a huge fan of capitalism, but I definitely not a communist. I would be the last one to force anyone not to trade.