Post your modding questions here

Topywo

Re: Post your modding questions here

by Topywo » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:So, while trying to modify paramat's floatindev mod, I ran into a very vexing problem: Many of the blocks that the voxelmanip generates, including default:gravel and a couple moreblocks nodes are added to the world as fire:basic_flame. However, other blocks that I added such as obsidian and dirt_with_snow are generating perfectly fine. Near the beginning of the code, I check to see if moreblocks is installed before redefining the nodes from it I'm using so as to turn is_ground_content false. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Maybe this is a relevant link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7383

Edit: Quote and typo.

fishyWET
GitHub: neinwhal
IRC: neinwhal
In-game: neinwhal

by fishyWET » Post

-
Last edited by fishyWET on Tue Apr 04, 2017 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Is that a bug, or a really awesome looking feature! :)

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

When using the LuaVM you don't work with the node names but the contend id. Fire has some special number (either zero or one) and therefor is used when there is an invalid id. So make sure you get the right id and there is no typo. Kind of funny that a small mistake can make the whole world go into flames.
edit: Oh, it was already answered - on the next page.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

I'm trying to make small pools of oil, rather than that mess you can see there, anyone got a fix to it to make it a real pool of liquid?

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Jordach wrote:Image

I'm trying to make small pools of oil, rather than that mess you can see there, anyone got a fix to it to make it a real pool of liquid?
If you use the sheet ore generation, you could use minetest.on_generated and perlin instead.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

DeepGaze
GitHub: DeepGaze
IRC: DeepGaze
In-game: DeepGaze

by DeepGaze » Post

what is wrong with this and how can i fix it:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_node("bloop:console", {
  on_punch = function(pos, node, puncher, pointed_thing)
    puncher:setpos({bloopxyz})
  end,
})
bloopxyz = "t/xyz"
minetest.register_chatcommand("t/xyz", {
    params = "bloopxyz",
    description = "send bloop to",
    privs = {bloopcontroller=false},
    func = function(name, param)
        bloopxyz = param
        minetest.chat_send_all(name.." sets the value to "..param)
    end,
})
there's no place like 127.0.0.1
The deep life Minetest text page
minetest cards

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Is there a way to change how many items the middle click takes/places? I don't think so, so take this as a feature request.

@ DeepGaze
A position is a table {x, y, z}. When you do "bloobxyz = param" then you only have a string. Look into "minetest/builtin/chatcommands.lua". I think you can copy-paste most of the teleport command.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Topywo wrote:
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:So, while trying to modify paramat's floatindev mod, I ran into a very vexing problem: Many of the blocks that the voxelmanip generates, including default:gravel and a couple moreblocks nodes are added to the world as fire:basic_flame. However, other blocks that I added such as obsidian and dirt_with_snow are generating perfectly fine. Near the beginning of the code, I check to see if moreblocks is installed before redefining the nodes from it I'm using so as to turn is_ground_content false. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Maybe this is a relevant link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7383

Edit: Quote and typo.
Thanks for the help. After posting this last night, I kept at it for about half an hour more, and found the problem. I knew it was relating to unknown nodes, but since I double checked my spelling and the names of the mods, I knew it was a logic error. And indeed it was. At the start of my code, I had something along these lines:

local mblocks = false
if (minetest.get_modpath("moreblocks")) then
     mblocks = true
end
What my error was, is that the logic statement was never run since it was not in any function. Silly error, but after correcting it, everything is going good. Volcano biomes with optional coal_stone depending on mods installed are now working. This error has one more benefit: I'm thinking of purposely adding fire to that biome as a surface generation similar to grass. :P
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Pavel_S

by Pavel_S » Post

There is no "get_id()" function for entity in "lua_api.txt" .
But "minetest.luaentities" returns id`s of active entities.

So, how I can get id of "richt_clicked_entity" and get entity by id?
Of course, I can get entity by id just using

function get_entity_by_id(id)
for k,v in pairs(minetest.luaentities) do
        if k == id then
	      return v
	end
end
, but it`s not efficient way, if there is a lot of active objects.

mimilus
GitHub: mimilus
IRC: Mimilus

by mimilus » Post

Hi

I've made a nodebox but the correponding image hasn't the correct orientation in the inventory.

Is it possible to turn the automatic inventory image ?

I've just found this http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.inventorycube but i don't want to do an image myself.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:At the start of my code, I had something along these lines:

local mblocks = false
     mblocks = true
end
Short it.

local mblocks = minetest.get_modpath("moreblocks")
Returns string or nil. Doesn't matter, you can use it the same way as boolean.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Krock wrote:
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:At the start of my code, I had something along these lines:

local mblocks = false
     mblocks = true
end
Short it.

local mblocks = minetest.get_modpath("moreblocks")
Returns string or nil. Doesn't matter, you can use it the same way as boolean.
Good idea, thanks! I'll implement that in the code. Will that run outside of any functions?

MrIbby
GitHub: MrIbby

by MrIbby » Post

Topic: What text editor(s) do you guys recommend?
Reason: I'm making a mod and using WordPad.
Join the Tox revolution!
---
CC License Compatibility Chart

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

MrIbby wrote:Topic: What text editor(s) do you guys recommend?
I highly recommend LuaEdit. I've been using it extensively, and it has many basic features that really help out. Plus, WordPad doesn't have syntax highlighting.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I have Windows XP and use Notepad++ for my text editing needs. It has syntax highlighting and works well for my needs.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

MrIbby wrote:Topic: What text editor(s) do you guys recommend?
WordPad isn't good for modding. You need a syntax highlighter.
I'm using Notepad++ like LionsDen, that one also supports other languages like python, batch and php...
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

MrIbby
GitHub: MrIbby

by MrIbby » Post

Thank you all very much! I tried using LuaEdit, but it doesn't let me highlight large selections with double click... Notepad++, however, is very easy to use.
Join the Tox revolution!
---
CC License Compatibility Chart

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Is it possible to add items to chests when a abm turns a random node into a chest? I've added a block that turns into a chest, and tried several ways of filling it, none of which have worked... What I want is a few (random) items inside a chest, which is added to the world via an abm. Other ways of adding a chest with things in would work as well. Thanks!
Last edited by Amaz on Tue Apr 29, 2014 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I would like to be able to, under certain circumstances, set the players yaw to match a vehicles yaw.
Actually, I wouldn't HAVE to change the players yaw, I just need to make the camera direction change to match the direction the vehicle is moving. (when the player has deliberately chosen to lock their view to the vehicles)

But I can't figure out how to do this through lua. I can do a setyaw on an object, but it doesn't seem to work on a player. There is a get_look_yaw() function, but no set_look_yaw() function.

Is there a way to do this, or have the developers chosen that it is not wise to let mods change the players yaw or the camera direction?

thanks!

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Kilarin wrote:I would like to be able to, under certain circumstances, set the players yaw to match a vehicles yaw.
Actually, I wouldn't HAVE to change the players yaw, I just need to make the camera direction change to match the direction the vehicle is moving. (when the player has deliberately chosen to lock their view to the vehicles)

But I can't figure out how to do this through lua. I can do a setyaw on an object, but it doesn't seem to work on a player. There is a get_look_yaw() function, but no set_look_yaw() function.

Is there a way to do this, or have the developers chosen that it is not wise to let mods change the players yaw or the camera direction?

thanks!
There is a set_look_yaw() function: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L1826

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

BlockMen wrote:There is a set_look_yaw() function: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L1826
Thank you, that's what I needed! It's not documented in the regular part of the developers wiki.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Amaz wrote:Is it possible to add items to chests when a abm turns a random node into a chest? I've added a block that turns into a chest, and tried several ways of filling it, none of which have worked... What I want is a few (random) items inside a chest, which is added to the world via an abm. Other ways of adding a chest with things in would work as well. Thanks!
Well, the way I would try it is to define your own treasure chest with a second abm, have your current abm spawn the special chest, then use the new abm to call inv = minetest.get_inventory() on the new node, generate a random ItemStack, then call inv:add_item() to add the random itemstack, and loop it over as many times as needed. Once that is done, swap the node with a regular chest to stop the abm.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

yet another yaw question.
player:get_look_yaw() and player:set_look_yaw() don't seem to be using the same offset.

When I do a set_look_yaw(1.57) and follow up with a get_look_yaw, the value returned is 3.14. Setting 3.14 returns 4.71 etc. It looks like the values returned from get_look_yaw are offset by +1/2 pi from the values put in to set_look_yaw.

Why?

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:
Amaz wrote:Is it possible to add items to chests when a abm turns a random node into a chest? I've added a block that turns into a chest, and tried several ways of filling it, none of which have worked... What I want is a few (random) items inside a chest, which is added to the world via an abm. Other ways of adding a chest with things in would work as well. Thanks!
Well, the way I would try it is to define your own treasure chest with a second abm, have your current abm spawn the special chest, then use the new abm to call inv = minetest.get_inventory() on the new node, generate a random ItemStack, then call inv:add_item() to add the random itemstack, and loop it over as many times as needed. Once that is done, swap the node with a regular chest to stop the abm.
That's just what I was looking for, thanks!
Do you have any example code? I'm not to good at "complex" things... Thanks for your help!