Is shaders will be implemented

davidforsure!!!

Is shaders will be implemented

by davidforsure!!! » Post

So i saw a mod called SHADOWS that adds nice shadow in the game. its just like shaders but more unrealistic but its works fine.....so the point is can anyone make a shaders mod just like SEUS (sonic ethers unbelieveable shaders) is that possible?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: Is shaders will be implemented

by Calinou » Post

This is likely possible, but demanding on the hardware and not easy to implement.

Improving graphics is easier done by enabling anti-aliasing, add this line in minetest.conf:

Code: Select all

fsaa = 4

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I think that just shadows would be nice. SEUS would be harder on some people's computers. Still, like I said with mobs, that is why we have a settings tab...

;P

It would also take a lot of commitment... I think that making the shadows alone would be amazing, and shows that our devs really take time to make Minetest awesome.

davidforsure!!!

by davidforsure!!! » Post

I hope this is possible...we got some excelent modders like pilz adam,realbadangel,blockmen. and some that i Dind't mention....so lets just hope for the best (LOL sounds like its real important)

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

davidforsure!!! wrote:we got some excelent modders like pilz adam,realbadangel,blockmen.
(Except RealBadAngel) I know of no modders that know how to use GLSL.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

@sfan5: You have to be able to know where the sun/moon is at the time of day/night to make shadows in the first place... I think you are capable of that?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

GLSL is quite confusing for me.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

philipbenr wrote:@sfan5: You have to be able to know where the sun/moon is at the time of day/night to make shadows in the first place... I think you are capable of that?
That is not hard, but whole way shadows are computed, stored & displayed is not that easy to get right.
GLSL isn't like C where you can google something and throw it into your project.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

sfan5 wrote:
philipbenr wrote:@sfan5: You have to be able to know where the sun/moon is at the time of day/night to make shadows in the first place... I think you are capable of that?
That is not hard, but whole way shadows are computed, stored & displayed is not that easy to get right.
GLSL isn't like C where you can google something and throw it into your project.
I have to say, that made me laugh. :)

Also, and this is from experience, the little bits help a lot... I would just write something up that says where the sun/moon is in the sky. I really haven't looked in to how position is expressed, but give a sort of value that can be used to determine shadow length.

Again, I don't know how hard that would be, but it's a start...

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

You can't just write something in GLSL to make every graphical feature you want. GLSL is used to modify a part of the rendering pipeline. You need to supply the required data from the core code.
E.g. to do dynamic shadows you need several rendering steps, which can only be done in the engine code.
sfan5 wrote:
davidforsure!!! wrote:we got some excelent modders like pilz adam,realbadangel,blockmen.
(Except RealBadAngel) I know of no modders that know how to use GLSL.
I know how to use GLSL (I wrote a small voxel based 3D engine with OpenGL; you pretty much need to use GLSL to do that properly).

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

@PilzAdam: Thanks. I had no idea how GLSL works. It is nice to have that cleared up.

So I guess I was wrong in my statements above. I hope that MT will have dynamic shadows sooner or later... It would really enhance gameplay.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Discussion about usage of OpenCL in Minetest moved.

Please reply in the topic above for all things OpenCL-related.