Problem connecting to servers

theblob

Problem connecting to servers

by theblob » Post

Hello everyone, I've run into a few problems when connecting to servers. When I check the public serverlist check box, Minetest crashes for some reason. I've checked debug.txt, but nothing new shows up related to the error. Also, when I type in the IP and port number of a server, Minetest gets stuck on the "connecting to server..." screen. I'm running Minetest(0.4.9+repack-4ubuntu) on Ubuntu 14.04. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks in advance!

*Update*
Minetest is only getting stuck on the "connecting to server..." screen for some servers, not all.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

Re: Problem connecting to servers

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Regarding Minetest being stuck at "connecting to server", that means that the server is currently offline, nothing more.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

superschizo
In-game: uberdorf

by superschizo » Post

I've had the same issue with all of my 64 bit and with 32 bit versions of Ubuntu 14.04, with the minetest 0.4.9 from the ubuntu software center. With my 3 64 bit computers, I deleted minetest with the software center and then downloaded and installed the appropriate .deb file for the developmental/unstable minetest from https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdev ... /+packages. I still have the buggy version from the software center installed on my 32 bit laptop for now if there is any debugging help you all want, but the debug file doesn't display anything and I can't find the .conf file to adjust the debugging level to 4.

superschizo

by superschizo » Post

I tried it again and the ubuntu OS sent an error report somewhere. This is when I go to the client tab and select the box for Public Server List. Minetest waits a moment and then crashes. I can't copy and select the details for some reason, but I'll type out the title...

minetest crashed with SIGABRT in __gnu_cxx::verbose__terminate_handler()

superschizo

by superschizo » Post

Ok, I found out that the minetest.conf doesn't get created until a world is played, so now I have a minetest.conf file to configure. Here is the debugging level four for my system when this crash happens...

-------------
Separator
-------------

08:15:02: INFO[main]: logfile = /home/scott/.minetest/debug.txt
08:15:02: VERBOSE[main]: httpfetch_init: parallel_limit=8
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Message locale is now set to: LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8;LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
08:15:02: INFO[main]: text_height=16
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Searching worlds...
08:15:02: INFO[main]: In /home/scott/.minetest/worlds:
08:15:02: INFO[main]: sad
08:15:02: INFO[main]: 1 found.
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Waiting for other menus
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Waited for other menus
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Initializing...
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Vorbis extension NOT present
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Initialized: OpenAL 1.1 ALSOFT 1.14, using OpenAL Soft
08:15:02: INFO[main]: GUIEngine: Initializing Lua
08:15:02: INFO[AsyncWorkerThread_0]: Initializing Asynchronous environment
08:15:02: INFO[AsyncWorkerThread_1]: Initializing Asynchronous environment
08:15:02: INFO[AsyncWorkerThread_2]: Initializing Asynchronous environment
08:15:02: INFO[main]: SCRIPTAPI: initialized mainmenu modules
08:15:02: VERBOSE[main]: Loading and running script from /usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/mainmenu.lua
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Searching worlds...
08:15:02: INFO[main]: In /home/scott/.minetest/worlds:
08:15:02: INFO[main]: sad
08:15:02: INFO[main]: 1 found.
08:15:02: INFO[AsyncWorkerThread_3]: Initializing Asynchronous environment
08:15:02: VERBOSE[main]: OpenALSoundManager::maintain(): 0 playing sounds, 0 sound names loaded
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.0.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.1.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.2.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.3.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.4.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.5.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.6.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.7.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.8.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.9.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.0.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.1.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.2.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.3.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.4.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.5.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.6.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.7.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.8.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.9.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/games/minetest/sounds/main_menu.ogg for decoding
08:15:02: INFO[main]: OpenALSoundManager: "main_menu" not found.
08:15:26: INFO[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu: Not allowing focus change.
I'll repeat my system details so you all don't have to search my prior posts in this thread for them ;) . This machine is an hp laptop with 32 bit ubuntu 14.04 (although I had the crash with 64 bit ubuntu 14.04 also). The version of minetest is 0.4.9 from the ubuntu software center. The bug is definitely reproducible, since it happens every time I select the client tab of minetest and then select the public server list box. I hope this helps.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Seems like the OpenAL isn't installed or libogg wrongly included.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Krock wrote:Seems like the OpenAL isn't installed or libogg wrongly included.
INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.0.ogg for decoding
does not stop any functionality from working and does not indicate that OpenAL was installed incorrectly.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

sfan5 wrote:
INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /home/scott/.minetest/sounds/main_menu.0.ogg for decoding
does not stop any functionality from working and does not indicate that OpenAL was installed incorrectly.

Code: Select all

08:15:02: INFO[main]: Audio: Initialized: OpenAL 1.1 ALSOFT 1.14, using OpenAL Soft
What does "Vorbis extension NOT present" mean?

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
sfan5 wrote:

Code: Select all

What does "Vorbis extension NOT present" mean?
That means that OpenAL has no direct vorbis decoding support. (Minetest however links to libvorbis so it will work without that)
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

sfan5 wrote: That means that OpenAL has no direct vorbis decoding support. (Minetest however links to libvorbis so it will work without that)
Would minetest work faster with this?

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
sfan5 wrote: That means that OpenAL has no direct vorbis decoding support. (Minetest however links to libvorbis so it will work without that)
Would minetest work faster with this?
No, vorbis decoding takes only a minimal amount of CPU.