[Server] Xanadu

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: Xanadu Server

by TenPlus1 » Post

Xanthin: biomes closer to spawn have already been stripped of items hence the lack of giant shrooms in the purple mushroom biomes...

Neon: sorry about the rollback and loss of your garden, the picture looked really cool...

Armor no longer drops when you die as per request...

Neon
In-game: Neon

by Neon » Post

Ahhh.. It warms my heart to see someone enjoyed my space station. Thanks Xanthin!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: Xanthin: biomes closer to spawn have already been stripped of items hence the lack of giant shrooms in the purple mushroom biomes...
That's unfortionately a problem you get with these decorative surface-orientated mapgens. If you're digging for ores, it does not matter - there will be more of it below/to the sides. But places stripped off their natural plants look less beautiful. ABMs can help to regrow plants, but it's not the same. I have no solution for this problem. Any ideas?

Neon

by Neon » Post

The Spawn Rail Station is open for business! The entrance is at (-9,27,-30)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Neon wrote:The Spawn Rail Station is open for business! The entrance is at (-9,27,-30)
carts?
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

hoodedice wrote:
Neon wrote:The Spawn Rail Station is open for business! The entrance is at (-9,27,-30)
carts?
Someone named Kilarin made an improved version of PilzAdam's carts mod. A link to it can be found below:
https://github.com/Kilarin/minetest-mod ... master.zip

Neon

by Neon » Post

No carts on the server (yet?). Just an advertisement for a system to travel directly, rather than by dodging trees and mobs.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I saw all those flowers that you added to this server recently. Unfortunately, I don't know if you could ever make them into a standalone mod, due to the fact that they come from a Minecraft mod. Maybe if you made similar flowers, but ones with slightly different names and custom textures, you could then release such a mod.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Inocudom: I'm packaging the flowers into a different mod just now but need to make it work with every mapgen before releasing it, that's what is slowing me down... Making it work with Ethereal was easy in comparison...

Neon: The Carts mod tweaked by Kilarin still doesnt work properly on the server...

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Inocudom: I'm packaging the flowers into a different mod just now but need to make it work with every mapgen before releasing it, that's what is slowing me down... Making it work with Ethereal was easy in comparison...

Neon: The Carts mod tweaked by Kilarin still doesnt work properly on the server...
VanessaE's plantlife modpack could be helpful concering the other mapgens (except paramat's.)

Before you go any further, keep in mind the license of the flowers' textures. If you can get in touch with the following member of the Minetest community, she might be able to help you:
viewtopic.php?id=7672#p117501

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:The Carts mod tweaked by Kilarin still doesnt work properly on the server...
Let me know what the problem is and I'll see what I can do to fix it!

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ino: the creator of the plants megapack said it's ok to give them away in a modpack, so am making a modpack with same textures and filenames without changing anything... once finished it should be all legal and ok :)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Ino: the creator of the plants megapack said it's ok to give them away in a modpack, so am making a modpack with same textures and filenames without changing anything... once finished it should be all legal and ok :)

I sent you message. *sigh* Forum updates and I still have to do this.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

fishyWET
GitHub: neinwhal
IRC: neinwhal
In-game: neinwhal

by fishyWET » Post

I was much sadden by the server changing map, just a day ago i went full time to work on a structure "Library of Xanadu" unfortunately due to the map changing, i lost the structure and everything again :/, anyways i still managed to capture a screenshot if anyone is interested enough to look at it. Only tiny parts of the interior were complete so i didn't bothered to take a screenshot of inside.
somewhere around -22724, 0, 1175 in the old map
Btw the new spawn is getting destroyed with people placing doors everywhere, i think there is a glitch with the doors that allowing placing in protected areas, sinking new joined players into the waters below and drowning.
EDIT: removed spoiler tag according to Sokomine
Last edited by fishyWET on Tue May 13, 2014 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Can you please post the picture without the spoiler tag? Because that does not work (text inside spoiler tags cannot be made visible - at least not without JavaScript, and I will not enable that).

Hope the structures on the last map got saved.

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Sokomine wrote:Can you please post the picture without the spoiler tag? Because that does not work (text inside spoiler tags cannot be made visible - at least not without JavaScript, and I will not enable that).

Hope the structures on the last map got saved.
I dont think you are allowed structures on the old map on this one as this map is supposed to be a 'Total New Start'.

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

Total new start? Never a wise decision.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Let me speak some words of great wisdom. When an artist's works of art keep ending up in the trash, that eventually teaches him/her to not bother creating things anymore. The old map did not get saved? I guess the maps section of these forums really does exist in vain, doesn't it? It is a shame that old server maps are not saved more often.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Xanadu from the get-go was always a testing ground for the Ethereal mod during it's updates and now that it reached 0.0.9i it was time for a world reset to take into account all the new features it had to offer... The old map is still saved and at one point (when time permits) will be possible to recover buildings to import into the new map, but for now a fresh start and a map that will not be erased (regular backups)...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hmmm. It is very important for a server to save buildings and keep them save over map resets. Not doing so is a bit like supporting griefers - they also damage things. The first time the map on this server got lost seems to have been a bug in combination with lack of experience. That may happen on a new server. To do it a second time is not so good.

The map reset as such is not bad - there was reason to do so (plenty of changes to the mapgen). Unfortionately, most of the reasons for why a mapchange might be a good idea will come up in a few weeks/month again - there will be new ideas for the mapgen (which is a good!), removal of bugs (necessary), people removing plantlife and ressources around spawn (hard to avoid with a mapgen that has its strength in intresting surface plantlife), buildings that make the world *feel* crowded, spawn getting chaotic. And then it'll be the next map, with the buildings forgotten once again, disposed off with a mere shrug?

Of course it is a lot of work to save all the buildings that are worth it. Doing so is a way to show respect for the builders that contributed to the server - similar to the builders showing respect to the server owner by building something enjoyable.

Unfortionately, WorldEdit may still be too complicated for some, and other approaches require even more knowledge of the underlying database structure. Making the whole map available usually fails due to it beeing too big (several GB) - while what I catpured of Redcrabs server could be compressed in 100 MB. And that's a server with a huge amount of players and buildings which piled up over time. Perhaps putting the old map up once again for a few hours and saving the intresting parts with the special client and then making that available for download might be the best way for this server here.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Quite a few players were happy with the world being reset and are busy rebuilding bigger and better than before... The fun is in the game and not hourding old builds so the new server looks the same as before... Xanadu is a survival server and with the Ethereal mod being a stable and full featured release now, the current server will be around for quite some time to come with backups just-in-case...

Vazon
IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

by Vazon » Post

I don't play this server but I know from experience that restarting the world map isn't always a bad thing, (most of the time it is though). I have restarted my server map many times because of system failures and back ups not saving, but restarting should very much be avoided under most circumstances. If anything I would have just moved spawn to a new location(still with some builds around it) but not as torn up from land striping and such.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Vazon wrote:I don't play this server but I know from experience that restarting the world map isn't always a bad thing, (most of the time it is though). I have restarted my server map many times because of system failures and back ups not saving, but restarting should very much be avoided under most circumstances. If anything I would have just moved spawn to a new location(still with some builds around it) but not as torn up from land striping and such.
Maybe freeminer, if it supports this, can be used to delete specific mapchunks (maybe griefed ones) and then they become regenerated.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Vazon
IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

by Vazon » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Vazon wrote:I don't play this server but I know from experience that restarting the world map isn't always a bad thing, (most of the time it is though). I have restarted my server map many times because of system failures and back ups not saving, but restarting should very much be avoided under most circumstances. If anything I would have just moved spawn to a new location(still with some builds around it) but not as torn up from land striping and such.
Maybe freeminer, if it supports this, can be used to delete specific mapchunks (maybe griefed ones) and then they become regenerated.
Well that would be very useful in areas that have been striped of ores, dirt, sand, ect. Although if some buildings reside in this area then that wouldn't help.

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

why i was banned by ip? my nick was "random" and i didn't do anything bad...
sorry, i would have to write this in private message, instead of asking it here.
so ban will wear off after some time, ok, thanks.
Last edited by lag01 on Sat May 17, 2014 21:07, edited 1 time in total.