Post your modding questions here

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

Re: Post your modding questions here

by Kilarin » Post

well, with a lot of work and what I suspect is some really stupid coding, I can get the textlist to find a particular bookmark whenever you click on it. (simply bypassing the find bookmark button, which is actually good)

But this still leaves me with a nonfunctioning system. Because I need to be able to select an item from the list, and then click "remove bookmark"

It seems baffling to me that a textlist field does not return the value selected in it when you click a button in the same form. Am I doing something wrong here?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Well, the workaround to the textlist problem is obvious. when the user clicks on an item in the textlist, I'll store that item in a variable, and then when the click a button, I'll use the variable to determine what item is currently selected in the textlist. It should work, but it's not elegant.

It seems to me that this is a bug. textlist should work in a manner similar to the dropdown. It should return the element selected, not the index of that element. and it should return the currently selected element when you ask for it after a button has been pressed instead of nil as it currently does.

EDIT:
Interesting, I changed my code a bit, and now textlist is NOT returning nil when you click a button, but it's passing back the value of the 1st element in the list even though a different element was selected. very strange.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

When i place light sources by voxelmanip their light level is correct but the light does not spread, is there a good way to update the lighting? I tried updating lighting using an ABM to remove then re'place' (not 'add') a light source, but that causes the node to drop down 1 node. I'm thinking of requesting 'update_lighting()' be added to the voxelmanip.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Kilarin wrote:I changed my code a bit, and now textlist is NOT returning nil when you click a button, but it's passing back the value of the 1st element in the list even though a different element was selected. very strange.
I'm a moron. It was a bug in my code making it pass back the value of the first element. (I had two fields with the same name) Once corrected, the textlist behaves as it did before. It returns the index when you click on it, and returns nil if you query the field when a button is pressed. Very different (and less useful) behavior from dropdown which returns the value of the selected item, and will return it when queried after a button is pressed.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

paramat wrote:When i place light sources by voxelmanip their light level is correct but the light does not spread, is there a good way to update the lighting? I tried updating lighting using an ABM to remove then re'place' (not 'add') a light source, but that causes the node to drop down 1 node. I'm thinking of requesting 'update_lighting()' be added to the voxelmanip.
I currently use update_map with a second "manip" to fix light, liquids and show the "trees".
https://github.com/HybridDog/minetest-n ... it.lua#L82

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

DaN

by DaN » Post

How does sound work in Minetest 0.4? I want to try replicating it in MT 0.2.
Last edited by DaN on Wed May 28, 2014 16:40, edited 2 times in total.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Thanks Hybrid Dog. I may have realised why light sources cannot be spread at chunk generation time. Since their light range is 16 nodes there would be lighting errors over chunk edges, so it's best light sources spread their light when all neighbouring chunks are generated. Perhaps this is why update_map() is only found in one version of voxelmanip.
Now i'm using nodeupdate(pos) in an abm on light sources, works well, would also be fun to cause unstable sand to collapse.

GaryLaw64
In-game: garylaw64

by GaryLaw64 » Post

Help!

Installing mods on ubuntu.

Linux issue rather than minetest I know.

wiki page is very clear for windows installation, and it all makes complete sense. Installed and activated a number of mods. Linux does not want to let me see the files graphically likie windows.

Can anyone help with the command lines in linux to move the folders I have downloaded and renamed to the right place.

Is there a linux pro out there? Cos I can find the minetest application but no other folders.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Linux noob, but getting there. Before someone asks, I refuse to run the game on my xp computer cos the graphics are waaaay better with my linux setup.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

GaryLaw64 wrote:Linux does not want to let me see the files graphically likie windows.
Afaik Ubuntu has a file manager (under accessoires) and a folder icon in the task bar.

Where did you get your minetestversion from (link)?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

GaryLaw64 wrote:Help!

wiki page is very clear for windows installation, and it all makes complete sense. Installed and activated a number of mods. Linux does not want to let me see the files graphically likie windows.

Can anyone help with the command lines in linux to move the folders I have downloaded and renamed to the right place.

Is there a linux pro out there? Cos I can find the minetest application but no other folders.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Linux noob, but getting there. Before someone asks, I refuse to run the game on my xp computer cos the graphics are waaaay better with my linux setup.
First of all, yes, you shold be able to see files "graphically". Use the default file manager. And as for the mods, how did you install minetest? If your version is below 0.4.0 no mods are compatible.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

GaryLaw64 wrote:Can anyone help with the command lines in linux to move the folders I have downloaded and renamed to the right place.
Command line to copy the files from one place to another is:
cp fromfile tofile
But if you are unfamiliar with the linux command line, I'm going to second what the others say, use the gui.

GaryLaw64

by GaryLaw64 » Post

Evergreen wrote:
GaryLaw64 wrote:Help!

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

First of all, yes, you shold be able to see files "graphically". Use the default file manager. And as for the mods, how did you install minetest? If your version is below 0.4.0 no mods are compatible.
Minetest is available from the ubuntu software center, with the mods for more ore more blocks and also pipes available from the software center, so those mods were installed with the program.

path usr/games shows minetest application but no folders in same directory. I understand what i need to do as its essentially the same process as windows. Except ubuntu seems to have put bits of the program in wierd (to a noob) places.

I mean its like ubuntu spreads the program across multiple locations, rather than everything being in one nice neat minetest folder.

version installed
minetest 0.4.9+repack-4ubuntu1
Last edited by kaeza on Wed May 28, 2014 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remember to use the "Edit" button to edit your posts.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

GaryLaw64 wrote:I mean its like ubuntu spreads the program across multiple locations, rather than everything being in one nice neat minetest folder.
It's the linux way! :)
the default game files should be in /usr/share/minetest/ But that is not where you want to install your mod. You should have a minetest folder under your home folder, ~/.minetest because that is where you have write access. cp or mv any mods you have downloaded into ~/.minetest/mods
If you need to rename them the folder, use the move command. mv oldname newname

GaryLaw64

by GaryLaw64 » Post

runnable program is in usr/games with minetest mapper and minetestserver. Also in usr/share/applications.

.minetest is in the home directory as a hidden folder, there is no mods folder. . minetest contains cache folder client folder worlds folder, debug.txt and minetest.conf

Looking for evidence of already installed mods, there is a pipeworks_settings.txt in the worlds folder in a folder named bowls (my current world), along with map data ipban etc.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I'm not certain where your moreores and pipes mods were installed, but it should have been in ~/.minetest/mods
if the mods folder doesn't exist, the command to create it is:
cd ~/.minetest
mkdir mods
then use
cp fromfolder ~/.minetest/mods
to copy the mod from wherever you downloaded it into the mods folder. If the mod folder is the wrong name (for example, carts_master when it should be carts) then do:
cd ~/.minetest/mods
mv carts_master carts

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

Can I make a Tool out of a Nodebox?
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

You can make a tool and make it place a nodebox on_place. See the fishing mod of mossman

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

Do anyone know how make a Chest Nodebox Change when viewing the Chest Inv.?
Why?
Well I made with the NBE a Open Chest model. and it just needs get textures right and all and have it coded.

So here looks like. (Used Wood Texture as Placeholder)

Maybe when Ruben get the NBE allow us place textures on yours Nodeboxs maybe will help. or have it as a Model.
Edit: Yes I know looks like a Chair XD
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Alt. Tester wrote:Do anyone know how make a Chest Nodebox Change when viewing the Chest Inv.?
Why?
Well I made with the NBE a Open Chest model. and it just needs get textures right and all and have it coded.

So here looks like. (Used Wood Texture as Placeholder)

Maybe when Ruben get the NBE allow us place textures on yours Nodeboxs maybe will help. or have it as a Model.
Edit: Yes I know looks like a Chair XD
Try looking at how other nodes "change appearance dynamically" (e.g. furnaces, doors, etc). Though for this kind of functionality, I think entities + 3D meshes are better (allow smooth animation, better texturing, etc).
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

spootonium

by spootonium » Post

Could anyone kindly provide more details about flowing liquids, and how param2 is used? Like:
  • What is the range and granularity of liquid level?
  • Does a liquid node store its own flow direction, and can this be overidden?
I'm experimenting with sand and gravel (and also mud and rubble) as flowing nodes.
I write code. Sometimes, it even works.

lipki
GitHub: lipki
IRC: likpi
In-game: lipki

by lipki » Post

23:09:49: ACTION[ServerThread]: Player lipki moved too fast; resetting position
How to temporarily disable this security?
Teleportation for example.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

lipki wrote:
23:09:49: ACTION[ServerThread]: Player lipki moved too fast; resetting position
How to temporarily disable this security?
Teleportation for example.
This should work, in your minetest.conf:

disable_anticheat = true

lipki
GitHub: lipki
IRC: likpi
In-game: lipki

by lipki » Post

This should work, in your minetest.conf:
Thank you.
We can do that through a mod?

----

How to generate a void area.
width = x
depth = x
height =
And be sure that the "mapgen" will not come to fill it.

meowmeow333

by meowmeow333 » Post

Title: Is there any program you guys know that can import minetest map into 3D program (Maya)?

I'd found this one(.jar file), but for Minecraft, and I don't know how to install a .jar file...
http://code.google.com/p/j-mc-2-obj/
I want to make some minecraft animations.

Ackirb

Only Owner can take/put/move items in an inventory

by Ackirb » Post

Hello

I am trying to create a trade shop.
There will be an inventory slot which displays the item being sold, another slot displaying the item(s) which will traded (the price), a slot in which the user can insert their payment, and finally a slot that allows the user to take their purchased item after paying for it.

It's like this:
[ ] = inventory slot
[item for sale] [price of said item] [payment slot] [product]

example:
[mese pickaxe] [25 cobble stone blocks] [payment slot] [product]

When the user places 25 cobble stone blocks into the "payment slot", then the mese pickaxe will appear in the
"product" slot, and the user will be able to take it.

My question is: how do I make it so that the user cannot take items out of the [item for sale] slot and the [price] slot?
It kind of defeats the purpose of a trade shop if the customer can simply take the item for sale without even having to pay! lol.

If anyone wants a better example of how this is (supposed) to work, please let me know!