[Android] Builds for ARM, x86 and MIPS

sapier
Developer

[Android] Builds for ARM, x86 and MIPS

by sapier » Post

We made it, first official android version of minetest!

Official:
Development

Old: Experimental (only occasional testing)

MIPS: X86: Screenshots:
1024x600 @ 9"
Open issues:
  • Can't leave sound volume menu ... don't use it! ;-)
  • Inventory cube textures are completely messed up on some devices (see config below to enable hack)
  • Devices with only 512MB ram may crash due to out of memory
  • Menu scaling on very small screens isn't perfect
  • No shaders on android!
In case you have any of upper issues or new ones plz post following information:
  • APK version you tested
  • screenshot(s)
  • Device you're using for test
  • (OPTIONAL) Android Version, GPU Type, Screen DPI (use cpuz app to get that information)
  • (OPTIONAL) debug.txt from Minetest folder
Settings that may help:
  • gui_scaling = 1.0 (change to smaller value if your menu is to big)
  • inventory_image_hack = true (in case you have broken inventorycubes, PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT YOUR DEVICE)
Device Table:

Code: Select all

- HTC One VX,               2x1.2GHz        Adreno 305,     1GB,  960x540        (GOOD)
- Huawei Ascend A6/P6,      4x1.5GHz,     Immersion.16,     2GB, 1280x720        (GOOD)
- Huawei Ascend Y300,       2x1GHz,         Adreno 203,   512MB,  800x480          (OK)
- Huawei Ideos X3,          1x0.6GHz,       Adreno 200,   256MB,  480x320  (UNPLAYABLE)
- Kyokera Event,            1x1GHz,         Adreno 205,   512MB,  480x320          (OK)
- Metroit MMB-525.SAT,      1x1GHz,         Mali MP400,     1GB,1920x1080        (POOR)
- Motorola RAZR i XT890,    1x2GHz,     PowerVR SGX540,     1GB,  540x960        (GOOD)
- NVidia Shield,            4x1.9GHz,          GeForce,     2GB, 1280x720        (GOOD)
- Samsung Galaxy Note II,   4x1.6GHz,     Mali-400 MP4,     2GB, 1280x720        (GOOD)
- Samsung Galaxy S,         1x1GHz,     PowerVR SGX540,   512MB,  800x480        (GOOD)
- Samsung Galaxy S Plus,    1x1.4GHz,       Adreno 205,   512MB,  800x480        (GOOD)
- Samsung Galaxy S3,        4x1.4GHz,     Mali-400 MP4,     1GB, 1280x720        (GOOD)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3,     2x1.2GHz,   Vivante GC1000,     1GB, 1024x600        (GOOD)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini,   2x1.7GHz,       Adreno 305,   1.5GB,  960x540        (GOOD)
- Sony Xperia Z,            4x1.5GHz,       Adreno 320,     2GB, 1920x1080       (GOOD)
- Touchlet X4,              1x1GHz,           Mali-200,   512MB,  800x480  (UNPLAYABLE)
- Trekstor Breeze Plus,     2x1GHz,        Mali-400 MP,   512MB, 1024x600          (OK)
- Vodafone Smart 4,         4x1.2GHz,   PowerVR SGX544,     1GB, 1280x800        (GOOD)
- Xelio P1000A-BK,          2x1GHz,        Mali-400 MP,   512MB, 1024x600        (POOR)
- Xoro PAD721,              2x1.2GHz,   PowerVR SGX540,   512MB, 1024x600          (OK)
- Xoro PAD900,              2x1.2GHz,   PowerVR SGX540,     1GB, 1024x600        (GOOD)
Changelog:
-added sqlite3 workaround for mips build

-switched to leveldb as sqlite3 is broken

-fixed help text
-fixed bug with newlines in formspecs
-fix error in texturehack patch (no text on some devices)
-fix reset singleplayer world not working

Minetest java packet got renamed please uninstall old version manually
-pull request after first review, no functional changes

20140622:
-added hack for GPU's claiming to support BGRA textures but fail (e.g. Vivante GPU)
-MIPS: fix day night race

20140621:
- remove more debug features
- fix build without debug features
- update to latest master
- fixed ogles2 startup
Last edited by sapier on Thu Aug 28, 2014 17:46, edited 58 times in total.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

Re: Android Port

by stormchaser3000 » Post

um ok but i don't see why the menu has to be changed soo much. how about say..... fly mode and first person (when a first person option is added) mode being in a button ingame rather than on the main menu

sapier
Developer

Re: Android Builds (ARM, x86, MIPS)

by sapier » Post

Problem about the menu is it needs to be usable on devices with low resolutions too, thus I tried to strip everything not absolutely required. As the original menu is still there adding a "advanced menu" setting might be an option.

Edit1:
In game buttons have one big problem ... they use pixels ... especially on small devices those are very very "expensive".

stormchaser3000

sapier wrote:Problem about the menu is it needs to be usable on devices with low resolutions too, thus I tried to strip everything not absolutely required. As the original menu is still there adding a "advanced menu" setting might be an option.

Edit1:
In game buttons have one big problem ... they use pixels ... especially on small devices those are very very "expensive".
OK but um can the controls be made easier? The arrow keys are positioned weird.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

What's weird and what not is matter of device and personal preference. For small devices that positioning is saving as much display to show world as possible.
But I'm open for suggestions about a better tradeoff ... I guess we wont find the solution being perfect for all devices

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Looks good sapier. I think that we will use what we have until something better comes, right?

stormchaser3000

oh and something makes this unplayable for me. please make it so when the files copy at the start that that only happens once. because i am getting rid of mods eg legacy and external_legacy or bones or fire. and then i go to start the game again and the mods are back in the folder. would be nice if the files moved rather than copy every tim when starting the game.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

That's a pitty but I can't do it only once as there are files in there that have to be there.
Best thing to solve your issue is suggesting a good default game

spillz

by spillz » Post

From other thread
sapier wrote:I agree with adjusting the sizes but that's quite difficult to get done ... but it's still on list.
And if buttons get bigger we need to strip even more. For what I assume you've got a major problem with this as you have a high dpi device, for most tablets this isn't as pressing.
Look at attached from mc pocket. Not that hard to fit a lot of options on a small screen if you use tabs / sub menus. Doing it with irrlicht will naturally be a pain.
Attachments
Minecraft pocket menus
Minecraft pocket menus
Screenshot_2014-05-29-14-51-15.png (345.34 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Well your screenshot shows having >>>>4<<<< options on a single screen ... quick counting we've got about 60 settings at 4 pages ... even if we place 5 options per page we'll have 30 pages to do it that way ;-)

Edit1:
Tablet users would be really annoyed by doing it that way .... maybe we need a third main menu for extremely small screen devices.

LemonLake
GitHub: Lemmmy
IRC: Lemmmy
In-game: Lemmmy

by LemonLake » Post

Installed on a Samsung Galaxy Note II, Android 4.3

Upon starting up, I was greeted with a main menu that doesn't look entirely like it should: Image

Perhaps you could scale the elements based on DPI, too?

Singleplayer is fast in loading, takes some time to generate
Avg 20fps

Block breaking takes a while to respond
Blocks glitch

Inventory badly scaled, again the image glitch in the blocks (and items?)

Tapping the menu button does nothing at all

Within 20 seconds of gameplay, the phone temperature was already at 40 degrees C

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

20140602 build should work on powervr mali and adreno gpus
For those with high dpi screens try gui_scaling setting in minetest.conf

spillz

by spillz » Post

Jesus christ on a bike, how do you use the gui_scaling setting? (and why is something so fundamental buried - presume you intend to get the port to a point where tweaking with conf files isn't needed). We don't all spend our day with the code...

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

I think the links are broken... they just lead me to http://error404.000webhost.com/?.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Links are dead; confirmed.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

spillz without a lot of ppl writing their screensize/dpi/resolution I can't find a suitable algorithm to do autoconfiguration.
Range of those values is just to big to use only one setting.

I request everyone to write her/his screensize/dpi/resolution AND the gui_scaling value being best for her/him.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I joined up so I could help with data. I've been quietly stalking as our whole family is enjoying Minetest and hopeful for a Android release.

I've been installing all the releases since the 30th and have noticed improvements along the way. My three children have the Kyrocera Event. Probably the bottom of the barrel as far as screen quality and hardware specs. So I thought it's benchmarks may be helpful.

Adjusting the gui_scaling certainly made the difference for the majority of the GUI.

Kyocera Event
Physical size: 3.5 inches
Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels
Pixel density: 165 ppi
Technology: IPS LCD
Colors: 16 777 216
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8655
Processor: Single core, 1000 MHz, Scorpion
Graphics processor: Adreno 205
System memory: 512 MB RAM
Opening screen, no adjustments
Opening screen, no adjustments
shot_2014-06-02_20-18-17.png (13.62 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Opening Screen, no adjustments.
Gameplay, no adjustments
Gameplay, no adjustments
shot_2014-06-02_20-34-00.png (114.85 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Gameplay, no adjustments.
Inventory, no adjustments
Inventory, no adjustments
shot_2014-06-02_20-34-32.png (67.7 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Inventory, no adjustments.

My attachment limit is 3 so will continue...

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Opening screen, all visible gui_scaling = .6
shot_2014-06-02_21-14-39.png (20.71 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
gameplay, all visible gui_scaling = .6
gameplay, all visible gui_scaling = .6
shot_2014-06-02_21-16-44.png (74.81 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Inventory screen, all visible gui_scaling = .6
Inventory screen, all visible gui_scaling = .6
shot_2014-06-02_21-17-41.png (64.08 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
gui_scaling doesn't seem to affect other dialogs such as chat. I have screenshots if you need, but don't know if I should author another post just to show. The dialog is oversized and to the bottom right with the top edge of the "Proceed Button" barely visible.

Other observations.
In gameplay, the back button brings up a dialog allowing user to go to main menu ect. But if connected to a server a extra button to change password appears, forcing menu button off screen so it's not possible to return to menu.
Once in menu screen, the back button doesn't allow user to exit application. Is it intentional now? I have to force close the app through phone settings after forcing my way back to Android home screen.
FPS are unplayable for the most part right now on this low end device. 1-3 FPS seems the average. It was much better at 7-12 a few days ago. Don't know if it's a fluke or if something changed.
Scanning of files at the beginning is MUCH faster.
I like you added more options in settings so user can adjust gui_scaling without the need to edit minetest.conf (most users don't have a editor onboard), not sure if that was there all along or not as I've never been able to see the tabs at top of menu screen until manually adjusting minetest.conf.

All and all my whole family thanks the Minetest team for the blast we are having and are anxiously awaiting the Android release as it seems we are losing laptops faster then I can fix them :)

Cheers, Lee

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

ExeterDad wrote:My attachment limit is 3 so will continue...
http://imgur.com/
..will be your help :)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

ExeterDad ... amazing ... I didn't even expect it to work on screens with resolutions less then 640x480.
About the fps ... 1-3fps ... I don't wanna give you a lot of hope, I doubt we're gonna get an improvement that much (soon) I tested on adreno 203 with about 10 fps ... but it's been a dual core.
Maybe we'll be able to get those 10fps on devices like yours too ... but I don't wanna promise to much right now, it's to early to tell
Thanks for your feedback

pilcrow

by pilcrow » Post

I suppose I should give my input as well, eh?

My nVidia Shield has oodles of power, so it handles the latest build with a decent 30+ fps, but there are still a few problems.

That gui_scaling setting needed to be adjusted to about 0.5-0.6 or so, but with a 5-inch 1280x720 display (294 ppi), I kind of expected that.

Inventory cubes were completely screwed up, but I did a little hacking to have it just use 'flat' images, and now it works fine.

My biggest problem is that I can't PLACE anything. Press-and-hold will dig/mine as normal, but a quicker tap/press will not place them down, as it would in stu's old android builds or freeminer. And there's no on-screen button for placing nodes either...
A fat lot of good these 3 stacks of wood are doin' me if I can't build anything with 'em, eh? I don't think I need 1188 sticks... :P

Also, while this is far less important, there seems to be an incompatibility between this and the shield's button-mapper. If I don't move my joysticks very quickly, it'll occasionally think I'm tapping the screen's corners instead. After some observation, I think it has problems with analog input. The same issue seems to happen whenever I press a button that hasn't been mapped, as well. It's as if the game has trouble figuring out what to do with an unknown input... This issue is not exclusive to your build -- stu's old builds and freeminer have this issue as well -- but it IS exclusive to the various minetest incarnations, as the button-mapper is working fine in everything else I throw at it...

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

pilcrow placing is quick double tap

there's a setting to enable the non render to texture workaround, seems for some reason almost all devices (except the one I have) can't render to texture. I'm gonna add nvidia to the list of known bad devices too.

anyone else having inventory item issues can try setting
inventory_image_hack = true
in minetest.conf.
Please report your device if this fix helps so I can add it to the known bad list too.

Hiradur

by Hiradur » Post

Will Raspberry Pi and other ARM single board computers be supported eventually?

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Hiradur wrote:Will Raspberry Pi and other ARM single board computers be supported eventually?
If it runs Android it should work.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Still following and have been installing each new release. Today I threw in Minetest-release_20140611.apk and noticed it's a whole lot more playable FPS-wise for the phone I listed earlier.
On our server I was getting 5-7 FPS in the daytime and it seemed to jump to around 15-17 FPS in the night or underground. I was pretty shocked as I have VanessaE's HDX texture pack (64x64) rather then the stock MT textures I tested with on my last report with lesser results.
The main menu screen seemed to be a appropriate enough scale without adding a minetest.conf setting for gui_scaling like I did before. Not certain if settings were left behind somewhere or not. I did blow out the Minetest folder on the SD card before the install. I have to wonder because there was a IP address I had miss-typed before of my server in the selection box at the main screen.
My inventory is the unified_inventory installed server side. That was a mistake as I could see no way to back out of the inventory with the Android controls. Force closing the app is all I could do.
For giggles I went to VanessaE's nearly Vanilla server that was offered in the main menu. Pretty much made a fool of myself as FPS were @ 1. Waiting for it to load while reading signs didn't seem to help either. Couldn't even leave the spawn building to poke around it was so hard to move. Couldn't properly leave her server as the "Return to Menu" button is still off screen when I pressed the back button. So I had to force close again.

All in all these builds still work a ton better then the Buildcraft app on the Market. On this phone the main menu is so small I literally have to use my magnifier visor and try to select options and buttons the size of a flea. And when I could get it logged in, no textures would even show on the nodes. They were just white and gray shaded shapes.
When it's all said and done you may be very surprised how well this runs on low end devices!
Keep up the good work :)