[Mod] Snow Biomes [4.0] [snow]

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

Re: [Mod] Snow Biomes [2.0] [snow]

by Splizard » Post

Hey VannessaE, Im not sure why that would be happening.. could it be a minetest bug with voxelmanip? I wouldn't think snow mod is preventing anything else from modifying the map.

@paramat does this happen with any of your mapgen mods?
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

My first guess was that somehow you are managing to read each map chunk into a vmanip buffer (or however those things work), then plants_lib's calls are run and it makes its changes to the actual map rather than said buffer (since it doesn't know about vmanip), then you make your changes to your vmanip buffer (or maybe at around the same time), then you write your buffer back out *after* plants_lib's changes were made to the map, leaving only your changes visible.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

This is definitely an order of mods problem. What I can say is that the simplest way to fix it is to add "snow" to the list of depends for plants_lib on servers running both mods. Also, changing the mod name to come alphabetically before plants_lib could possibly work...

Have you considered taking the schematic for trees and putting them in minetest.register_decoration since this uses mgv7?
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I already tried that, Hero. Order-of-mods apparently doesn't have an appreciable effect on the order that mapgen hooks are executed in this case. Everything that uses plants_lib is affected, not just Moretrees. As for mgv7 support, Moretrees objects don't use schematics but rather L-systems models, but either way Zat is working on it.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Splizard wrote:@paramat does this happen with any of your mapgen mods?
Well i don't run my mapgens alongside snow mod but if i did i expect they would be incompatible.

The problem here is probably not a bug, just an incompatibility, it's to be expected when running multiple mapgens that were not coded with each other in mind. When i run several 'on generated' mapgens at once the result varies greatly depending on the order they are executed.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I could agree if not for the fact that plants_lib was written with this mod in mind and even uses its temperature map. :-)

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

It doesn't make any sense though as Snow Mod saves the voxel manip during the on_generated call and none of the nodes are modified if snow isn't generated on them, have you tried a older version of the Snow Mod Vannesa?
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Vazon
IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

by Vazon » Post

Splizard wrote:It doesn't make any sense though as Snow Mod saves the voxel manip during the on_generated call and none of the nodes are modified if snow isn't generated on them, have you tried a older version of the Snow Mod Vannesa?
Spizard I have and the same thing happens, no matter what the current plantlife becomes void do to the snow mod generating first.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

On our LinuxGaming.us, Minetest server we have been using the Snow mod for a year now and just recently installed PlantLife and MoreTrees, knowing well in advance of the conflicts these mods have with each other. We came up with a workable solution (not perfect, but workable) to this Snow vs PlantLife issue before installing PlantLife and MoreTrees.

Work-Around (for the time being)

Disable Snow's mapgen by commenting-out lines 1 through 17 in the "mapgen.lua" file. This allows PlantLife and MoreTrees to do their thing. When we want more map-generated snow biomes, we shutdown the server, uncomment the lines, restart, go out and generate new areas till we have a few new snow biomes, shutdown, comment-out the lines again, restart and then let PlantLife do it's stuff.

Snow Resources

To compensate for disabling the snow biomes and the snow fall (snow fall caused big messes when Minetest incorporated lava cooling - we have several builds with exposed lava), crafting recipes were created so players could craft their own snow, ice, and moss (the resources snow biomes provided). Now players can create snow biomes where ever they want and of whatever size they are willing to make them.

PlantLife

As mentioned above, we have been running the Snow mod for a year now, so we have a lot of already-generated portions of the world. PlantLife has been gradually creating ivy, lilies, bushes, and other plants in these existing areas. It is not limited to only newly generated areas.

MoreTrees

MoreTrees, on the other hand, needed a little help. Our admins and moderators planted the various saplings in and around areas where players are active. The players then harvested the trees and planted their own saplings. Within a week our Minetest server began to look like MoreTrees had been installed all along. ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

LazyJ's Fork of Splizard's "Snow" Mod

At LinuxGaming.us, we have been using Splizard's Snow mod, a Minetest standard, in our Minetest server for a year now. I've been tweaking and patching things here-and-there and had a few ideas. The little "here-and-there" things progressed into bigger and more complex changes. Maybe other folks will enjoy these fixes, changes, and additions.

New Block and New Textures!

New block: "Snow Cobble"
New texture: "Snow Brick" based off of default stone brick to fit in better with the overall look of Minetest's default textures.
New texture: "Ice" is now semi-transparent and cooool!

Snow House

Showcasing each of the new and updated blocks and textures, this house is made of snow, ice, and wood. Snow cobble can be rotated to make the stones look more like they were randomly placed instead of a perfect, mirror copy of each other. Same can be done with snow bricks, ustilizing their grout lines to direct the eye. The new, semi-transparent ice was used for windows.

Semi-Transparent Ice

The normal, default Minetest texutre for ice looks something like a blue waffle iron. In keeping with ice's glass-like properties, this new texture is almost see-through. Ice is harder to dig than snow and when ice does eventually break, it sounds like shattering glass. However, unlike glass, ice will freeze the ground in to dirt_with_snow and will melt into a watery mess if too close to a heat source. Be careful what you choose to illuminate your ice-house with.

Ice Makers

One of the many updates in this fork is that all snow and ice blocks, stairs, slabs... even then smallest, thinnest microslab will freeze water into blocks of ice. The one and only exception to this freezing group are ice blocks themselves. If allowed to freeze water into ice, ice blocks would eventually freeze-over all connected bodies of water.

"More Blocks" Compatible

Another new feature of this fork of the "Snow" mod is compatibiliy with "More Blocks'" circular saw to produce a wide variety of rotatable, auto-positioning, stairs, slabs, panels, and microblocks.

Sample Showcase

Here are some examples of what Snow's new and updated blocks can be made into when used with the circular saw from Calinou's "More Blocks" mod. Corner blocks for sturdy builds and smoother roof corners. Half-stairs for crown molding in the corners or support braces under bridges and tunnels. Thin, transparent, sleek, modern-looking stairs for elegance in modern builds. These are just a few of the block varieties that can be produced now with "Snow" and "More Blocks".

Star Light, Star Bright

Christmas tree stars now light-up! When the tree grows the star is brightly lit. The updated version in this Snow fork can be turned off (and on again) by punching the star for daker, more subtle lighting in wintery, holiday scenes. Another update is the individual leaf blocks give off a very low level of lighting to enhance the mood.

Blinking Lights and Glittering Garland

The Christmas trees received a festive-holiday boost in this fork of Splizard's "Snow" mod. The Christmas trees now light-up with alternating, blinking lights and glowing stars. Tiny light reflections in the gold garland, that change when the lights blink, add a little extra glitter to the scene.

Original Mod by Splizard: "Snow"
Minetest version: 0.4.9
Depends: default
Recommended Additional Mods: "More Blocks" by Calinou (2014_05_11 or newer)
License: GPL v2
Source Code: http://github.com/LazyJ/snow
Download (.zip): http://github.com/LazyJ/snow/archive/master.zip

Install:
  • After downloading, unzip the file.
  • Rename the directory "snow-master" to "snow"
  • Copy the "snow" directory into either ../minetest/worlds/yourworld'sname/worldmods/ or ../minetest/mods/
  • If you put "snow" in the ../minetest/mods/ directory, either enable the mod from within Minetest's "Configure" button (main menu, bottom right) or by adding this line to the world's "world.mt" file:

Code: Select all

load_mod_snow = true
Spoiler
I did not fix Snow's mapgen issue with "PlantLife" (another great, MInetest standard) based mods. Mapgen stuff is far beyond my current skill level.

What little changes I did make were to switch-out Snow nodes that Minetest now has as defaults (dirt_with_snow, snow, ice). My thoughts being that texture packs and other mods that may use these nodes as recipe items are more likely to support default nodes.

I also added a line above and below in the "mapgen.lua" file indicating where to put the comment symbols to comment-out/disable Snow's mapgen. Mods based on VanessaE's excellent "PlantLife" mod will not produce if Snow's mapgen is active. Snow's mapgen is active by default. I did not disable it, merely indicated were the comment symbols are to be placed.

To compensate for the loss of snow resources when Snow's mapgen is disabled, I created crafting recipes that allows players to craft more snow, ice, and moss. This not only encourages snow builds, but also allows the players to create snow biomes where they want and whatever size they are willing to make them.
Spoiler
  • Pine saplings are now replaced with tree trunks when the tree grows.
  • Snowballs no longer pass through solid objects. Griefers can no longer flood the interiors of builds by throwing snowballs through the walls hoping to either leave a snowy mess inside or that a heat source would melt the snow and flood the interior.
  • Snowballs no longer destroy nodes when thrown at the sides.
  • Falling snow no longer destroys nodes (same problem snowballs had).
  • Snow bricks now, instead of disappearing like before, melt into water sources.
  • Christmas tree saplings once again will drop when pine needles are harvested.
  • Dirt_with_snow changes to dirt when a solid, non-light permeating (sunlight_propagates) block is set on top of it.
Spoiler
  • All snow and ice stuff (including the stairs, slabs, panels, and microblocks) will freeze dirt and dirt_with_grass into dirt_with_snow.
  • All snow and most ice stuff will freeze water into ice, including the stairs, slabs, panels, and microblocks. The exception is the full-sized ice blocks will not freeze water into ice.
  • Snow brick texture reworked and based off of the default stone brick texture (and less purple in the grout).
  • Ice stuff is now semi-transparent.
  • Christmas trees now have blinking lights that give off a low level of light.
  • Christmas tree stars now give off a high level of light and the light can be punched on or off.
  • Combined default snow and snowballs. Now snow can be thrown (left-click) or placed (right-click).
  • Snow stuff now has "snow" sounds instead of "grass" sounds.
  • Melting - Full-sized snow blocks, snow brick, snow cobble, and ice will melt into water sources. The down-side is this makes a big, permanent mess. The up-side, this is a convenient way to carry water, if buckets are disabled on your server, by keeping full-sized snow stuff and ice blocks in your inventory to, later, melt where you need water.
  • Melting - Partial and small-sized blocks like snow (snowballs), basic stairs and slabs for snow stuff and ice, and circular saw-made snow stuff and ice things will melt into a water source for 2 seconds, then switch from a water source to flowing water, and after a moment the flowing water dries-up (small, temporary mess).
Spoiler
  • New block-type: "Snow Cobble". Just like regular cobble from regular stone, snow cobble comes from digging snow blocks.
  • All snow and ice blocks can be crafted into basic slabs and stairs. The default slabs stack and change back into full-sized blocks ("More Blocks" slabs won't do this).
  • Soft dependency on a recent release Calinou's MoreBlocks so all snow and ice blocks are compatible with the circular saw. If you don't have MoreBlocks installed, Snow will ignore the code for those fancy blocks and use basic stairs and slabs instead.
  • All snow and ice stuff works with the screwdriver.
  • Crafting, recycling and cooking recipes for snow blocks, ice, and moss.
    • Snow bricks craft-recycle back into 4 snow blocks.
    • 2 snow blocks craft into 3 snow blocks. This is to make up for when the mapgen for snow biomes is disabled.
    • 2 snow cobble craft-recycle into 3 snow blocks.
    • 4 pine needles craft into 1 moss
    • Snow blocks, snow cobble, and snow bricks can be cooked in a furnace to make ice.
  • Snowballs can be thrown (left-click) to build up layers. After the 11th layer, the bottom 9 layers change into a snow block. At a very close distance, throwing snowballs can be used as a technique to build-up gradual slopes. If you have lots and lots of snow balls, with rapid-fire throwing, you can, very briefly, "white-out" another player's view if your aim is good enough to hit them in the face.
  • Snowballs can be placed (right-click) but will not stack into multiple layers. Just one layer only. Placing snow is more reliable and accurate than throwing snow from a distance. By placing snow, players are able to create their own, personal, snow biomes.
  • Vertical clearance check for tree growth. The nine blocks above the spot where the sapling is placed must be free and clear of all obstructions or else the sapling will not be allowed to grow. Griefers could place the saplings in builds and when the tree grows it may not destroy nodes but it fills the available air space leaving a mess for the build's owner to clean-up. Now the trees will only grow inside if there is 9, free-and-clear spaces from floor to ceiling. Because pine trees (and Christmas trees) will grow on any solid surface, their saplings are handy to take with you when deep mining. Just before you run out of tool wood, dig out a space large enough for a tree to grow, plant a pine or Christmas tree sapling then place 2 torches on either side, right next to the sapling. After the tree grows harvest the trunk for tool wood, the leaves for short-run fuel in the furnace and for saplings to renew your tool wood supply again.
  • Aliases to help make WorldEdit and "give" commands easier:

Code: Select all

"default_snow" = "default:snow"
    "snowball" = "default:snow"
    "snowballs" = "default:snow"
    "snow_ball" = "default:snow"
    "ice" = "default:ice"
    "default_ice" = "default:ice"
    "dirtwithsnow" = "default:dirt_with_snow"
    "snowdirt" = "default:dirt_with_snow"
    "snowydirt" = "default:dirt_with_snow"
    "snowblocks" = "default:snowblock"
    "snowbrick" = "snow:snow_brick"
    "bricksnow" = "snow:snow_brick"
    "snowbricks" = "snow:snow_brick"
    "snowybricks" = "snow:snow_brick"
    "snowcobble" = "snow:snow_cobble"
    "snowycobble" = "snow:snow_cobble"
    "cobblesnow" = "snow:snow_cobble"

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

"The one and only exception to this freezing group are ice blocks themselves. If allowed to freeze water into ice, ice blocks would eventually freeze-over all connected bodies of water."

Use two ice nodes - the regular/default one, and a duplicate under a new name that's only ever created when water freezes over. Have it drop the default ice, and have some code in there that forces it to be placed as default ice also. Then you can differentiate between them in your freeze-over code. This would be similar to what I did with obisian, basalt, and pumice in Gloopblocks.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

@lazyJ would you like me to merge the changes and give you write access to the snow mod github? you have done a great job with improving snow mod! I don't play on many servers so im rather unaware on issues regarding server greifing and the like.
Ill try and look into the plantlife bug when I can.
@VannesaE
or a paramtype value which shows if ice is freezable or not. this would avoid creating another node. this could even decrease gradually to freeze a small lake or so.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Splizard wrote:@lazyJ would you like me to merge the changes and give you write access to the snow mod github? [clipped]...
Splizard, thank you. I would be honored.

I'm still a novice with GitHub. To make merging stuff easier, what do I need to do?

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Could you please make a post about this mod in the forums of Freeminer (a fork of Minetest) for the convenience of those that use it?

Splizard

Snow 3.0 Release Candidate.

by Splizard » Post

Alright I have merged LazyJ's changes to the latest Git, I have also created an automatic workaround for the Plantlife generation bug and added Ice freezing over when placed manually.
Can some people please test these features before I make a release?

@Inocudom, Ill see if I can do that for the next snow mod release.

Vazon

by Vazon » Post

I'm willing to test it

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Vazon wrote:I'm willing to test it
Cool, if you would be able to notify me if there is any major problems or unexpected things with the latest Git of snow mod. That would be great thanks!

Vazon

by Vazon » Post

seems to work fine moretrees are generating, jsut testing some things and noticed one you are on a sled there is no way off, the sneak key will not release you. and snow seems to cause generations of stone under it in in places not dirt.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The patch looks deceptively simple; will plants_lib-spawned items inside a snow biome still be able to spawn? Moretrees defines a couple of trees that can spawn there, for example.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

VanessaE wrote:The patch looks deceptively simple; will plants_lib-spawned items inside a snow biome still be able to spawn? Moretrees defines a couple of trees that can spawn there, for example.
Yea it's only a workaround, no I don't think plants_lib items and moretrees will spawn in snow biomes, if so this is a problem with the voxel manipulator and it should probably be reported as an issue against Minetest unless a dev can prove otherwise.
Vazon wrote:seems to work fine moretrees are generating, jsut testing some things and noticed one you are on a sled there is no way off, the sneak key will not release you. and snow seems to cause generations of stone under it in in places not dirt.
Thanks Ill look into the sleds, the stone is meant to be an alpine biome where it's too cold for soil and the grass has died ^-^

Vazon

by Vazon » Post

o ok that is more understandable, tho could we add like ice stone with like little ice cyrstals forming in the stone and when dug it drops a ice shard, ?? giving the birth of ice tools and ice being craftable with 9 ice shards. You could put that inplace of the stone, personaly i think looking at snow on stone doesnt look all that appealing.

Vazon

by Vazon » Post

also the sleds are fine it just doesnt seem to respond in 3rd person.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Vazon wrote:also the sleds are fine it just doesnt seem to respond in 3rd person.
Yea minetest doesn't support changing the animation of 3rd person view :/
Vazon wrote:o ok that is more understandable, tho could we add like ice stone with like little ice cyrstals forming in the stone and when dug it drops a ice shard, ?? giving the birth of ice tools and ice being craftable with 9 ice shards. You could put that inplace of the stone, personaly i think looking at snow on stone doesnt look all that appealing.
Yea that could be an idea for a future version.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

I've been putting the 2014_06_05 GitHub release of Splizard's "Snow" through drills. There is a lot of good things and a few, not-as-good things but overall the Snow mod has taken a leap forward in progress.

Here's what I've found.

Snowball Layers and Water-Freezing Ice
I had a devil of time trying to figure out how to get snowballs to stack into a snow block. Splizard was able to fix that so now nine, layered snowballs automatically switch to a snow block. Another issue was not allowing ice blocks to freeze water_sources into more ice blocks due to the concern that eventually the ice would freeze-over all connected bodies of water. Splizard was able to fix this so the ice, when placed in water, will freeze nearby water_sources but only within a limited range.

Sleds
For this test I used a local server setup so I could see myself from another players' point-of-view. Originally there was a bug in the sled code where, if a player used fly while on the sled, the player would remain stuck in the seated postion even though sled had been removed. During this test the sleds only glitched one time when I was on the sled and used fly. I was not able to duplicate that glitch again and afterwards the sleds were removed immediately as soon as I had flown a couple blocks higher, away from the snow.

Alpine Biomes and Stone Pillars
These are generated but had I not known that they were inteneded to be there, I would have thought they were a mapgen bug. In my opinion (and it's only that) the alpine biomes and stone pillars are not aesthetically pleasing and do not fit in well with the rest of the Minetest landscape.

My experience as a server operator and admin tells me that players will less likely utilize these because:
  • there are easier and more abundant places to get snow from,
  • players don't like leveling dirt to create build areas; they loath having to level stone,
  • the alpine biomes and stone pillars do not contain minerals nor ores so they won't even be worth the players' time and effort to bother with.

PlantLIfe and MoreTrees
The conflict between PlantLife/MoreTrees and Snow has been a long-standing issue. Splizard's work-around for PlantLife is working. Berry bushes and ivy spawned on spots of dirt_with_grass inside the snow biomes and lily pads spawned on water between ice blocks. MoreTrees still won't generate in snow biomes but outside of snow biomes MoreTrees giant trees were sprouting across the landscape. Before, PlantLife and MoreTrees would not produce anything from either of the mods if the Snow mod's mapgen was active.

Encouraged by this new development, I did some digging through MoreTree's code. I found that MoreTree's "biome_defs.lua" file was using "snow:snow" and "snow:dirt_with_snow" instead of the default versions. I added "default:snow" and "default:dirt_with_snow" to every tree's "surface =" line just to increase the chances of something from MoreTrees popping up during the mapgen of a snow biome.

MoreTrees still wouldn't generate in snow biomes but at least now the placed tree saplings would grow (even palm trees). "Placed" saplings - just to renenforce that it was saplings I planted myself. As I went through snow biomes, at new teleoport points, I looked for mapgen spawned saplings inside of the snow biomes I came across. No spawned saplings appeared, not even the douglas fir tree saplings that were coded to work with Snow.

The next thing I tried was adding Snow as a dependency to plant_lib and MoreTrees. That didn't make a difference so I switched the dependencies around and that too made no difference.

Then I remembered that MoreTrees has a setting to switch between spawning saplings or spawning full-grown trees at mapgen. So I switched to spawning full-grown trees and ran through the mapgen drill again. MoreTrees still didn't generate any of its trees in the snow biomes but another clue to this puzzle was revealed - MoreTrees trees that spawned along the edges of snow biomes were sheared-off on their sides by the snow biome. I tried adding and swapping the dependencies again but it still didn't make a difference, the MoreTrees' trees were still getting a severe, side pruning.

Conclusion
Splizard has made a flurry of improvements in recent days and the Snow mod has been greatly improved. There are still some things to work out. The biggest among them, the conflict between the three Minetest standards, PlantLife, MoreTrees, and Snow has finally come to a workable resolution. At least now PlantLife and MoreTrees are able to produce when the Snow mod is installed and players can enjoy the benefits of all three together.

Kanabris
IRC: Kanabris
In-game: Kanabris

by Kanabris » Post

Personal'm having trouble with this mod does not activate an error thus the "init.lua error" and "Check for details debug.txt" I wonder what's going on?? Can you help me with this mod?