Post your modding questions here

stu
GitHub: stujones11

Re: Only Owner can take/put/move items in an inventory

by stu » Post

Ackirb wrote:Hello

I am trying to create a trade shop.
There will be an inventory slot which displays the item being sold, another slot displaying the item(s) which will traded (the price), a slot in which the user can insert their payment, and finally a slot that allows the user to take their purchased item after paying for it.

It's like this:
[ ] = inventory slot
[item for sale] [price of said item] [payment slot] [product]

example:
[mese pickaxe] [25 cobble stone blocks] [payment slot] [product]

When the user places 25 cobble stone blocks into the "payment slot", then the mese pickaxe will appear in the
"product" slot, and the user will be able to take it.

My question is: how do I make it so that the user cannot take items out of the [item for sale] slot and the [price] slot?
It kind of defeats the purpose of a trade shop if the customer can simply take the item for sale without even having to pay! lol.

If anyone wants a better example of how this is (supposed) to work, please let me know!
Have a look at the trader npc from my npc framework, not suggesting you use that as npcf is still a long-term WIP but the trader npc works very similar to what you describe here (if I read it correctly).

Ackirb

by Ackirb » Post

Have a look at the trader npc from my npc framework, not suggesting you use that as npcf is still a long-term WIP but the trader npc works very similar to what you describe here (if I read it correctly).
I have actually been using your trade NPC for awhile now. Good job on that, by the way - I really like it.
However, your NPC doesn't actually display the items for sale nor the price of said items with an inventory slot, but instead, displays a string (aka, instead of showing a diamond pickaxe in an inventory slot, it would show a string that says "Diamond Pickaxe")

My shop is more like the one from bitchange in that is literally shows the items for sale and the price of said item.
Attachments
Shop.PNG
Shop.PNG (482.28 KiB) Viewed 691 times

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

Ackirb wrote: My question is: how do I make it so that the user cannot take items out of the [item for sale] slot and the [price] slot?
It kind of defeats the purpose of a trade shop if the customer can simply take the item for sale without even having to pay! lol
You can use a detached inventory, just make sure the allow_take function returns 0

Code: Select all

inv = minetest.create_detached_inventory("display", {
	allow_take = function(inv, listname, index, stack, player)
		return 0
	end,
})

iPushButton1997

Re: Post your modding questions here

by iPushButton1997 » Post

How much has modding changed since the initial 0.4 release? And if so, is there any specific place I can go to read up on this new info? I've been out of the loop almost two years now...and I'm aching to get back into it and finish up what I started.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

iPushButton1997 wrote:How much has modding changed since the initial 0.4 release? And if so, is there any specific place I can go to read up on this new info? I've been out of the loop almost two years now...and I'm aching to get back into it and finish up what I started.
http://dev.minetest.net/

and

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... ua_api.txt

Are both good places. (And good to see you about)

iPushButton1997

by iPushButton1997 » Post

Jordach wrote:
iPushButton1997 wrote:How much has modding changed since the initial 0.4 release? And if so, is there any specific place I can go to read up on this new info? I've been out of the loop almost two years now...and I'm aching to get back into it and finish up what I started.
http://dev.minetest.net/

and

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... ua_api.txt

Are both good places. (And good to see you about)
Thanks man. And it feels good being back. Hopefully I can get back to my old work :P

ak399g
In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Post

What is the maximum stack_max? I read it was over 50000 but I've tried 50000 and 40000, which don't work, and 25000 does.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Ackirb wrote: My shop is more like the one from bitchange in that is literally shows the items for sale and the price of said item.
You may also try my mobf_trader mod. It adds traders which can either sell a pre-defined sortiment or be employed by players. Up to four stacks can be bundeld for an offer (or price), and several alternate prices can be offered (i.e. sell 10 tree for 1 steel ingot or 1 copper or 5 cactus etc.). The mod ought to be linked in the posting mentioned in my signature.

RHR
GitHub: RHRhino

by RHR » Post

What are the advantages and disadvantages of mapgenV6 and mapgenV7? Which features are supported by them for creating a mod? Is there any comparison or documentation of their features?

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

RHR wrote:What are the advantages and disadvantages of mapgenV6 and mapgenV7? Which features are supported by them for creating a mod? Is there any comparison or documentation of their features?
Mapgen V6 has two defined biomes, while Mapgen V7 has completely custom biomes which can be made from nyan rainbow to literally lava or even bones.

That choice is yours with V7.

RHR

by RHR » Post

Jordach wrote: Mapgen V6 has two defined biomes, while Mapgen V7 has completely custom biomes which can be made from nyan rainbow to literally lava or even bones.
That choice is yours with V7.
Yep the custom biomes are awesome, but is that the only difference? Is it for example possible to "mod" the surface(mountains) of mapgenV7?

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ackirb, what you need is the money mod as it does just what you request... You can have a shop chest or trade chest that you can configure to your own needs to buy and sell items for money or other items...

viewtopic.php?id=2263

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

RHR, lines 390 to 423 here https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... nf.example
You can add those lines (without the #) to your minetest.conf file. Some of those affect mgv7, some are mgv6 only.

RHR

by RHR » Post

paramat wrote:RHR, lines 390 to 423 here https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... nf.example
You can add those lines (without the #) to your minetest.conf file. Some of those affect mgv7, some are mgv6 only.
thx, I'll give them a try. ^.^

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Why is it impossible in singleplayer to /revoke a privilege that does not have give_to_singleplayer = false ?

For testing purposes I wanted to /revoke teleport and my new priv I had created, and I can't do it in singleplayer. Was this decision deliberate to reduce the risk of someone revoking the "privs" privilege on singleplayer and making their character unfixable? Or is there some other reason? Or is it just a bug? Because it seems like there would be some better way of protecting privs than locking all of the other privileges.

RHR

by RHR » Post

Some questions:
1) Is it possible to create colored light? (e.g. red, blue, green)
2) Is it possible to force a fencelike block to connect to other not fencelike blocks?
3) How can I find out how much performance a mod needs? f5 and f6 show lots of information. Where can I look up what it means?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

RHR wrote:Some questions:
1) Is it possible to create colored light? (e.g. red, blue, green)
2) Is it possible to force a fencelike block to connect to other not fencelike blocks?
3) How can I find out how much performance a mod needs? f5 and f6 show lots of information. Where can I look up what it means?
1) Discussed a lot be4, answer stayed at No.
2) Maybe - extend the collision block to a regular node and look if it works
3) Idk. add os.time()-things like in serval mapgens to see how much miliseconds it takes
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I want to spawn particles when eating something (the way it looks in minecraft). But it uses the whole texture of the item. How can I only use parts of it like when digging something?
RHR wrote:2) Is it possible to force a fencelike block to connect to other not fencelike blocks?
There is a fence mod somewhere that does that, but it is somewhat hacky.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

RHR wrote:2) Is it possible to force a fencelike block to connect to other not fencelike blocks?
Yes, look at XDGAMERZzZ skyblock map. One of the mods in the mod zip file is called fences and I have seen these do this.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

RHR wrote:1) Is it possible to create colored light? (e.g. red, blue, green)
- You can make colored air nodes with drawtype airlike and give them a post_effect_color
- Then you change the air around a lightsource that has been placed into a colored air node. While placing the item or through an ABM

Problems:
- When you want to be able to put lights on and off and when removing the lightsource, you'll need to change the air around it (back).
- How to handle the colored air around two different colored lightsources next or near each other (and three and when removing one...)

Edit: At least one typo

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

@RHR. There are two fence mods.
One is xfences, made by xyz (google "minetest xfences")
The second is fences by Blockmen (google "minetest fences")
xyz's is much more reliable than Blockmens, mainly because with Blockmens, some do not connect fully. So, if xfences is still around and downloadable, take a look. I believe that both are hacky, and neither will be of much use if you wish to have it simple. PM me if there is no copy of xfences avail. I might still have a copy

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

Do anyone like make a Game mode with me?
And I have no idea where else to ask this.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Alt. Tester wrote:Do anyone like make a Game mode with me?
And I have no idea where else to ask this.
It will usually depend on what the game you want to make is, and how much work is done, and what you are willing to do. A great place to actively discuss these things is IRC.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Lua syntax question.
I want to register a new type of door in a mod. So, I figured I'd just need to make my mod depend on doors and then call doors:register_door
But when I do I get:

Code: Select all

09:43:49: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:60: Name doors:door_secret does not follow naming conventions: "modname:" or ":" prefix required
Which means I'm doing something STUPID. Any help here?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Never mind, it's always immediately obvious right after you post the question. wasn't complaining about calling doors:register_door, it was complaining about me naming the door doors:door_secret. duh!