[Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.7.2] [watershed]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.3.12] [watershed]

by paramat » Post

0.3.12 with harmonic noise and new tundra surface node that distinguishes it from dry grassland.

EDIT
Y = 47 bugfix: add snowblocks in chunk above during overgen
Last edited by paramat on Mon May 05, 2014 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

Mikerhinos

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.3.13] [watershed]

by Mikerhinos » Post

Definitely can't get used to giant fissures and 200+ ores seams from time to time and no ores rest of time :s
And it seems that mods addings plants, trees etc...won't work, launched an indev mapgen yesterday and there was way more different plant species.

So I'm personnally moving to mapgen V7 worlds because landscapes looks almost as great as watershed, and with your biomes mod I can have the best of the 2 worlds lol : great landscapes, and "traditionnal" ores/plants generating.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.3.12] [watershed]

by Jordach » Post

paramat wrote:Image

0.3.12 with harmonic noise and new tundra surface node that distinguishes it from dry grassland.

EDIT
Y = 47 bugfix: add snowblocks in chunk above during overgen
Inspired by a few of my own biomes then?

Some sort of frozen biome that's made of pure ice / snow blocks would be a nice change...

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

0.3.13 is looking great paramat! The new icebergs are "cool". ;-)

I'm making "Watershed" node textures to add to my favorite texture pack. "Icydirt" has me stumped as to what to make the texture look like.

Is "icydirt" more ice than dirt (semi-transparent vs opaque)?

If icydirt were warmed up, what would it become: muddy water or soggy dirt?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Mikerhinos, no problem, yes this mapgen doesn't have mod support, if a mod is looking for default:dirt_with_grass to add flora to you could exchange watershed:grass with default:dirt_with_grass. Ore seams can be made wider and easier to find with TSEAM, it's quite possible i haven't tuned them thoroughly enough and they're still too hard to find, and by default ores are harder to find than in minetest_game.

LazyJ, icydirt is a sloppy name i used for the 'active layer' of a tundra, which apparently is dryish frozen dirt with frost or thin snow (much more dirt than ice so not translucent) in winter and thaws to mud in the summer. Below the permafrost does what it says on the tin, permanently frozen dirt, again more dirt than ice.

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.3.14] [watershed]

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.14

Light crafting crafts 8 lights at once.
River water at y = 2 is a blend colour between ocean blue and river turquiose (it was a good idea LazyJ).
The new terrain from 'watershedminimal' is used, flatter lowlands with wide beaches and dunes and flattish areas for building on, the river channel changes shape from highland ridge to lowlands. Flat lowlands are only found in the higher continent areas, not archipelago areas.
Mod grass has grassy sides for unbroken grass on low hills, looks much better.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

grumble...
installing new version
falling in love with new landscape
abandoning old worlds
moving to new world

top culprit for cluttering up my harddisc detected: paramat mods
:-P

ak399g
In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Post

What if, instead of generating a "transition layer," you put in a function similar to lavacooling: When freshwater and saltwater touch, those touching blocks will (both) turn to mixwater (when mixwater is touching either of the two, nothing happens). This would allow the creation of artificial rivers, no?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

That would make the mixwater 2 nodes wide, i prefer the large area created currently. However to be thorough the abm you descibe could be added to mix waters placed by players, but i consider this to be too rare an occurence to justify the abm processing spikes whenever water is near.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Watershed is really beautiful, will it be possible one day that we have a watershed mapgen instead of a lua mod ?

celeron55 : nice edit ! I like the part in the beginning when we fly up the mountain sync with the music :)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thanks for doing this celeron55, i am very happy you like the mapgen!
(I really approve of your roadmap post, especially VAEs and psuedo-threaded lua mapgen)

Mikerhinos, Minetest's mapgen dev said he would like to see this ported to c++ core, i could do this myself but since i work from inspiration and obsession i seem to be busy with new lua projects. The c++ is not too difficult, but i would find it hard learning how to integrate a new mapgen into the core, especially as mine has unconventional ways of adding dirt and flora (all at once from the main mapgen loop instead of in stages and using schematics). Also i'm tired of watershed now from so much ('full time') work on it, i want to work on new stuff. Anyone else is free to port it if they want :)

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.4.0] [watershed]

by paramat » Post

Version 0.4.0
Updated to the new terrain/river/stream generation method from riverdev mod, which is simpler and faster, using only one 3D noise, generation time is roughly 4s.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

New version, still 0.4.0
Removed a few grasses and shrubs from some biomes, for a cleaner voxel look.
Stone waterseals added around streams, so that if the water ever gets around to flowing, it doesn't create a massive underground flood.
Ores are becoming too easy to find, so i spaced out the seams to a scale of 512n.
At last fog is added in very humid valleys.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Jun 11, 2014 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

New version at github, still named 0.4.0, i tuned the new river system in riverdev mod and transferred the params.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Jun 11, 2014 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

I've really been enjoying the updates and seeing the progression as I fly through and try out different map seeds.

The flatter low-lands and beaches add to the landscape's variety.

I miss the flowers.

I noticed some of the floatlands are much lower. This is neat. I've seen a few small island's hovering within a few blocks of the normal ground. Some big enough to build a small lookout post or one-room house or floating garden or just a nice place to sit for awhile and take in the scenery. ;)

I like water falls and sometimes I see clusters of small floatlands that would be perfect for ponds that are linked by waterfalls.

Thanks for all the work you do on "Watershed", paramat. ;)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Bug: i just realised the spawn player function has again not been updated, fix coming soon.

Lazy J, i removed grasses and flowers from dry grassland and grassland, perhaps they will return but rarer, however flowers are still in the appletree forest biome.

DanteLives

by DanteLives » Post

I keep being spawned underground. Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

That's fixed in the latest version. I keep forgetting to update the spawn player function when changing the mapgen.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

New commit at github, still called v0.4.0.
Luxore ABM removed. There was an ABM on 'luxoreoff' which tried to update lighting by replacing it with an identical 'luxoreon' node, but this 'placing' made some of the luxore nodes drop by 1 node.
'Terblen' exponent returns, making lowlands flatter and creating more contrast with exponentially rising mountain ridges.
Bugfix: 'xlscale' variation had been disabled for testing, this is now active to create large areas of adjacent continents and archipelagos.
Grasses and flowers recently removed from forest and grassland biomes return.

When i wrote riverdev mod i came up with a new set of mapgen parameters that i transferred into watershed, at the time i thought they were better parameters but now i realise i had lost the classic watershed terrain that was carefully developed and tuned, so with this commit it's back to what i had before on April 22, but of course with streams added.

One riverdev parameter that i am continuing to use is a high persistence of 0.67 for the 3D terrain noise, this creates crazier terrain and more floaty stuff at the ridges.

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.4.1] [watershed]

by paramat » Post

The 4 saplings are added and are grown by luavoxelmanip.
Now using nodeupdate(pos) to spread the light of lux ore by abm after mapgen.
Ore seams are twice as wide to be easier to find and to be more generous with resources.

The advice for survival is to head for the mountain ridge and the floatlands above where there is lots of exposed stone, once you find coal you can craft torches to explore the fissures for the other ores. Finding a seam of luxore allows you to craft bright light nodes.

-- Crafting

type = "cooking",
output = "default:desert_stone",
recipe = "watershed:redcobble",

output = "watershed:light 8",
recipe = {
{"default:glass", "default:glass", "default:glass"},
{"default:glass", "watershed:luxcrystal", "default:glass"},
{"default:glass", "default:glass", "default:glass"},

output = "watershed:acaciawood 4",
recipe = {
{"watershed:acaciatree"},

output = "watershed:pinewood 4",
recipe = {
{"watershed:pinetree"},

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Love that the ores spawn in "strata". Makes it more like a treasure hunt. I'm learning a lot on how to use voxelmanip looking at your code.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

That's good to know, i'm trying to make each of my mapgen methods clear in at least one mod. The simplified 'tutorial' mods make certain methods clearer, 'noise23' is the one to base any mapgen on, i use it myself that way, also there is 'stability', 'overgen', 'path' and 'watershedminimal', which should have been called minished.

I can say that every ore is always within 512 nodes of the player, but the fissures do not always intersect the ore seams.

EDIT
Bugfix: added sapling textures *:P

FreeFull

by FreeFull » Post

It'd be nice if the different kinds of wood also had corresponding stairs and halfslabs.
This mod is fantastic, I love the landscapes it generates! Thank you for creating it.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yes good idea, stairs and slabs are registered in the latest version at github, it was easy too.