HeroOfTheWinds wrote:Giant mushrooms now spawn in the fungus biome
Huzzah!

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.2.5] [caverealms]

by philipbenr » Post

This is really cool. I think that the crystals are amazing.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Made another small commit today, starting the groundwork of a new biome: algae. Yellow-green algae covers the ground, and green crystals still loiter about. However, I added a function to variegate crystal color a bit, so there are now two colors to each biome. I also added yellow mese crystals with mese ore bases. Yay for mesecons!
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

HolyPhoenix

by HolyPhoenix » Post

Awesomeness!

This mod looks amazing.

Edit:
I don't know if this is possible with the current engine. Would it be possible to make it so that the crystals would fall from the ceiling when hit and damage the player below if it fell on them?

My thinking is that you would have to make it so that when a crystal is hit with something the node type changes to a type that falls (sand does it, so I know the setting exists) and it would make all of the connected nodes of the same type have that same setting as well. So then they would all fall. Not sure how to make it cause damage. You could possibly also do a random setting to make some crystals harder than others to make fall. Just a random fun idea I thought of.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Thanks!

Yes, that is theoretically possible with the current engine, using on_punch or on_dig combined with Lua Entities. To make them all fall, you would have a check for nodes of the same type within a certain radius, and turn those into falling entities as well. Lua Entities have the ability to cause damage, just look at any of the mobs mods. And of course, falling crystals should be random. However, it would be much more difficult in the long run to make them fall, say, if they were hit by an arrow from the throwing mod. If I add this in, I think it will be an optional setting with a bool at the start of the file or in the config so that people who don't want to be impaled will not have to worry about it.

The one disadvantage I see coming from that would be having to have at least two different node types for each crystal: stalagmite and stalactite. But that's really not a huge issue...

Anyone else want to see this?

[EDIT]: Thinking a little more about this, I came up with a sort of meeting halfway: add a frozen/glacier biome, and have icicle stalactites that can fall, but leave the crystal ones alone. So look for a nice, chilly biome in the near future. :)

HolyPhoenix

by HolyPhoenix » Post

That meeting half way works for me, and sounds even better. :D

I'll have to put this on our server once its ready.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

This speed increasing commit https://github.com/HeroOfTheWinds/minet ... d007ec54b8 has been very useful, i am changing my mods to use that and generation time is reduced by roughly half a second. Since the on-generated voxelmanip always 'emerges' a chunk plus an extra 16 nodes (one mapblock) of space around the chunk, it can be used to scan the nodes in the chunk below.

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.2.7] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Version 0.2.7 is now released! Glaciated biome has been added, complete with two kinds of ice: default ice and thin ice, the latter of which borders the biome and is found in the ice stalagmites and stalactites. Speaking of which, the ice stalactites hold a lethal surprise: every time you break a block of ice from an ice stalactite, there's a 33% chance that the whole stalactite will come crashing down on the ground below, hurting (and probably killing!) anyone unlucky enough to be standing beneath.

This version also introduces a few crafts... Mycena Essence can be crafted from mycena mushrooms directly, and then used with 8 Mese Crystal fragments (place a Mycena Essence in the center and surround it with the fragments) to create the glowing yellow mese crystals. Likewise, a glowing mese crystal can be crafted into 8 mese crystal fragments.

As always, enjoy!
paramat wrote:This speed increasing commit https://github.com/HeroOfTheWinds/minet ... d007ec54b8 has been very useful, i am changing my mods to use that and generation time is reduced by roughly half a second. Since the on-generated voxelmanip always 'emerges' a chunk plus an extra 16 nodes (one mapblock) of space around the chunk, it can be used to scan the nodes in the chunk below.
I know, great, isn't it? However, the credit isn't due to me; it's due to Zeno- from GitHub, who is on IRC as Zeno`. If you see him, send your thanks his direction. :)

Chinchow

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.2.7] [caverealms]

by Chinchow » Post

This is a really nice mod! Keep it up.

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.2.8] [caverealms]

by Zeno » Post

Draft 1 of HDX textures is getting there (slowly). Thanks also to VanessaE for fixing my textures and contributing the large crystal textures!
Spoiler

HDX-128

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Another set of small changes pushed to the repo. Mostly just a heavy cleanup, with the init file being split up into separate luas, including ones for nodes and functions. More values were moved to the config file, so that is pretty much the go-to for simple aesthetic changes (the settings for actual cave generation parameters, i.e. perlin parameters, remain in the init file). Code was given more comments, certain areas cleaned up.

Also, Zeno created another pull request that I had to merge by hand, partly because the changes were made to the old init, partly because I had a few revisions to his code, but the stuff he did is still quite nice. Most notably: stalagmite and stalactite generation code was cleaned up to be much easier to expand and simpler to read, with fewer logic calls as well. Additionally, the glow gems dotting the landscape in the blue crystal biome now vary in size, with 5 different possibilities. On which note, welcome to the forum, Zeno! Glad to see you join.

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

More screenshots of the HDX support. Thanks again to VanessaE for invaluable help and the icicle textures (mine were terrible).
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

This is looking really awesome!

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.2.9] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Made another performance update... Now there are two more settings at the start of the init file (which may or may not be stolen from paramat's floatindev mod), CLUSAV and CLUSAM.

CLUSAV controls the rarity of the caves, ranging in value from -1 to 0, with -1 being the smallest and rarest and 0 being the most common. The default is -0.5, which still yields a fairly large amount of caverns of considerable size, close to what they were before.

CLUSAM is the size and density threshold of the caves. This value goes from 0 (least variation) to 1 (most variation). 0.5 is the default, which also works fairly well.

These settings probably won't matter much to single players, but I know that some server owners will at least gain some benefit from this addition. A few other tweaks to the parameters were made under the surface, so a few things may be more out of the ordinary than before, but I didn't notice anything especially off. Actually, there should be some slightly more interesting terrain features now, although I'm not a huge fan of the way the caves currently taper off. Hopefully for version 0.3, I can get rid of those nasty chunk border cutoffs. (In other words, I've procrastinated long enough :P )

In any case, enjoy!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Saw you having problems on IRC ... i guess you're looking to make an inverted form of the unlimited version of 'floatindev' mod? That will be the most helpful mod for what you want to do.
Except you may not want to invert floatindev's caves because they become floatlands inside your caverealms, you can make them smaller though. The floatlands in your mod are very cool looking but having large crystals and rock spikes attached to their thin edges looks wrong to me. Beautiful mod and getting prettier, the unlimited caves are what i'm waiting for ;)

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

paramat wrote:Saw you having problems on IRC ... i guess you're looking to make an inverted form of the unlimited version of 'floatindev' mod? That will be the most helpful mod for what you want to do.
Except you may not want to invert floatindev's caves because they become floatlands inside your caverealms, you can make them smaller though. The floatlands in your mod are very cool looking but having large crystals and rock spikes attached to their thin edges looks wrong to me. Beautiful mod and getting prettier, the unlimited caves are what i'm waiting for ;)
Pretty close, yeah. I was basically trying to implement the changes that made skylands unlimited, but having only limited success. I'm trying to look at anything I can that I think might be helpful. As far as inverting floatindev goes, I definitely avoid inverting caves as well. I also looked at your subterrain mod, and was thinking of trying to strike out in that direction as well.... It's all in the air right now, anything can happen. However, I'm leaving the current engine untouched, instead putting up experimental versions in a dev branch. Some way or another, I will get unlimited caves, as well as a solution to the floating islands popping up uninvited. :)

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.3] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I am pleased to announce that CaveRealms has now reached version 0.3!

This version was the product of a radical re-code from the ground up, changing the base generation code from inverted skylands to paramat's subterrain mod. Not only did this greatly clean up and clarify the code, but it also shaved a whole 100 ms at the bare minimum from the generation time! The impetus for this change was to create caves that aren't cut off at the top and bottom chunk borders, which has been achieved with this change. In order to shake things up though, I applied an additional, wavy perlin noise to the already-present 3D noise that generated the caves, thus causing plentiful overhangs and various land formations. Several other tweaks were made to cut down on visual errors involving stalagmites and stalactites, as well as the (rather hushed up) bugs that caused the majority of glow worms to be buried in the ceiling.

In any case, I created a separate release tag on GitHub for those who preferred the old cave style, as well as a link to it in the OP.

Hope you guys enjoy this new version!

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

Excellent work

hdx-128:
Spoiler

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

For those interested, here are the parameters configurable/modifiable using minetest.conf

The values given are the current defaults.

Code: Select all

# bottom realm limit
caverealms.ymin = -33000

# top realm limit
caverealms.ymax = -700

# cave threshold
caverealms.tcave	= 0.5

# enable/disable falling icicles
caverealms.falling_icicles = true

# chance of icicles falling when dug
caverealms.fallcha = 0.33

# chance of stalagmites
caverealms.stagcha = 0.002

# chance of stalactites
caverealms.stalcha = 0.003

# max height for stalagmites
caverealms.h_lag = 15

# max height stalactites
caverealms.h_lac	= 20

# chance of glow crystal formations
caverealms.crystal = 0.007

# max height of glow crystals
caverealms.h_cry = 9

# max height of glow crystal stalactites
caverealms.h_clac = 13

# chance of small glow gems
caverealms.gemcha = 0.03

# chance of mushrooms
caverealms.mushcha	= 0.04

# chance of mycena mushrooms
caverealms.myccha  = 0.03

# chance of glow worms
caverealms.wormcha = 0.02

# chance of giant mushrooms
caverealms.giantcha = 0.001

# chance of icicles
caverealms.icicha = 0.035

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.4] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

At long last, a new update to CaveRealms!

The Dungeon Masters' Lair realm now appears between y = -4000 and -5000. In this treacherous biome, expect to find hot cobble that hurts you if you become buried in it, perpetual fires, red glowing crystals, and pre-generated, lava-surrounded statues of Dungeon Masters as well as fortresses with treasure inside.

Yes, you heard right. TREASURE! Up to 5 item stacks will be inside the chest that appears at the back of the fortresses, ranging from sandstone blocks to diamond pickaxes. For those of you using PilzAdam's Simple Mobs and the included Dungeon Master mob, add this to the init.lua of the mobs mod: mobs:register_spawn("mobs:dungeon_master", {"caverealms:dm_statue"}, 14, -1, 100, 1, -4000)
That should help make that you need to earn the treasure inside in some cases.

TODO: Move some of the new parameters into the config file.

As always, I hope you enjoy this new version of CaveRealms!

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.4.1] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Small update, moved the new settings into the config.lua file. I also made a simple fix to the chest filling code to allow the minimum number of items in a chest be configurable as well, also from the config.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Another new update for the config, fortresses and fountains can be disabled from the config in a nice, clean way. (Thanks Zeno for the idea)

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

Some people just can't stand the coolness.
hah! :)

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Zeno wrote:
Some people just can't stand the coolness.
hah! :)
Eheheheh, so people DO read the sub comments for new commits on GitHub....

As was discussed in the topic for declaring games to be ready for bundling with MT, I decided to make a quick and dirty try at combining SkyLands and CaveRealms. The result? Rather mixed....

There are a few things that make this blend incredibly unwieldy, especially regarding lighting issues. At chunk borders, if the caves within the islands are cut off, it thinks there's sunlight around the hole made by the chunk border. This doesn't happen in regular CaveRealms because night is automatically assumed for areas below sea level. And while the idea of the two meeting seems really neat, it feels rather odd when you actually get to exploring it... While it could be an interesting challenge to code, I think for the time being I will file it under "not unless there was a considerable push for it."

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

Cool. Amazing. and beautiful
very very goood