[Game] MiniBASE [minibase_game]

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

[Game] MiniBASE [minibase_game]

by Krock » Post

An other SOMEWHAT OUTDATED minetest_game-based game.
Use on your own risk.

Licenses: many, see README files in each mod.

Targets:
  • A base for modding
  • Compatible to minetest_game
  • New functions, (ex. player models), serval utilities
  • Easy overviewable codes
  • Not too heavy
  • Use all available nodes, remove unused
Requires Minetest 0.4.9 or newer

Links: Repository | Test it now!
Last edited by Krock on Tue Mar 28, 2017 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

Re: [Game] BASE [base_game]

by Bas080 » Post

Would be nice to have a ultimate minimal version that has only the nodes required to generate terrain. Only containing following nodes.

dirt
stone
sand
gravel
water
lava
air

Maybe also
cobble
obsidian

Some modder friendly stuff
A modder pickaxe for removing stuff (not craftable)
Debug tool for node metadata
Creative inventory

The goal would be to find the minimal default presets the average modder would want so the focus is on adding and creating. The best way of achieving this in my opinion is by removing all things that have a more complex behaviour out of the minetest_game. Chests, furnaces etc. This allows others to more easily think of alternatives for these functions.

No trees and ores. Modders wanting to make a minetest "game" could fork the base and build upon it by adding mods and removing/tweaking less as less is defined for them.

Remaking the minetest_game using the "base" would allow a more modular aproach. Ores would be a seperate mod. Trees would be a mod too and so on. Allowing other game creaters and server admins to cherry pick what the game should be.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

This is a very nice idea. I suggest you add a tiny catch line in the logo, work on it some and suggest it for adoption into the game.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

If you are to add debugging tools for modders, as Bas080 suggested, I would suggest the craft recipe checker
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Bas080 wrote:Would be nice to have a ultimate minimal version that has only the nodes required to generate terrain.

Some modder friendly stuff
A modder pickaxe for removing stuff (not craftable)
Debug tool for node metadata
Creative inventory

No trees and ores. Modders wanting to make a minetest "game" could fork the base and build upon it by adding mods and removing/tweaking less as less is defined for them.

Remaking the minetest_game using the "base" would allow a more modular aproach. Ores would be a seperate mod. Trees would be a mod too and so on. Allowing other game creaters and server admins to cherry pick what the game should be.
Yes, I plan to split those things a bit and try to add helpful stuff for modders. We will see.
rubenwardy wrote:If you are to add debugging tools for modders, as Bas080 suggested, I would suggest the craft recipe checker
Thanks for pointing to that tool, it's good to clean up dead node codes and add missing recipes.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Bas080 wrote: Remaking the minetest_game using the "base" would allow a more modular aproach. Ores would be a seperate mod. Trees would be a mod too and so on. Allowing other game creaters and server admins to cherry pick what the game should be.
Hm. Furnaces as tools for cooking are pretty basic. They allow for the cobble->stone, sand->glass transition etc. Nodes as indigrents of receipes are pretty basic for most mods.

Putting trees and ores into seperate mods which might be exchanged with other similar mods sounds like a very intresting idea. Only problem is that modders do not like to depend on other mods - especially when all that's needed from other mods are nodes for receipes.
A list of my mods can be found here.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

The item drop mod isn't working right. I started a base game and cut down a tree. The leaves were decaying and dropping saplings and the item drop picked them up but nothing ever was transferred into my inventory.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

LionsDen wrote:The item drop mod isn't working right. I started a base game and cut down a tree. The leaves were decaying and dropping saplings and the item drop picked them up but nothing ever was transferred into my inventory.
https://github.com/SmallJoker/base_game ... it.lua#L26
It adds the item to your inventory.. I can't see why it shouldn't.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I know that it is supposed to add the item to the inventory. It's just that the tree I chopped down started dropping saplings from decaying leaves and the only ones to ever show up in my inventory were the ones I manually picked up. It dropped 4 or 5 saplings and the only ones in my inventory were the 2 that I picked up manually. I even waited minutes afterwards and they never showed up.

EDIT: Ok, that is weird. Just to check things out, I tried it again and this time it is picking them up and putting them into my inventory. One thing I noticed was that the decaying leaves also dropped a stick sometimes. I wonder if the items item_drop picked up were sticks. I didn't know about the sticks so I was assuming that I wasn't getting the dropped saplings. It's possible that the item_drop pickups were sticks so I wasn't looking at that item in my inventory, just kept an eye on my saplings.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Recent changes:

- added character.b3d New character model
- model API rewrite Should be backwards compatible
- added mobapi Has no use in the raw game
- bugfixes
- some mapgen rewrites In flowers and default
- edited farming a bit Replaced bronze hoe with mese hoe
- removed bronze tools (only the ingot is still there)

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

Nice game but two times Mese block.
:/
Spoiler
/base_game-master/mods/default/nodes.lua
line: 1018

minetest.register_node("default:mese", {
description = "Mese block",
tiles = {"default_mese_block.png"},
groups = {cracky=1,level=2},
sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults(),
})

/base_game-master/mods/default/ores.lua
line: 67

minetest.register_node("default:mese", {
description = "Mese Block",
tiles = {"default_mese_block.png"},
is_ground_content = true,
groups = {cracky=1,level=2},
sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults(),
})
Last edited by cx384 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Can your read this?

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

cx384 wrote:Nice game but two times Mese block.
<snip>
Thank for the report.
https://github.com/SmallJoker/base_game/commit/5e423ba5

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I have tried this subgame but I don’t get it.
Where exactly does it differ from minetest_game?
OK, there are some subtle changes here and there but I can’t see the bigger picture.

And how is this supposed to be a base for modding? The folder structure looks still very familar to me.
And BASE carries along a lot of cruft from minetest_game:
flowers, screwdriver, farming, generated default trees …
So if you want to make a mod with your own trees, you still have to live with the boring default trees.
If you want custom flowers, you still have to live with the default flowers, etc.

So I do not understand how BASE should be any better than minetest_game as a base for modding, sorry …

Off topic:
sokomine wrote:Only problem is that modders do not like to depend on other mods - especially when all that's needed from other mods are nodes for receipes.
This problem can be easily solved by adding an optional dependency and only adding the dependent recipe if said mod is loaded.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I have tried this subgame but I don’t get it.
Where exactly does it differ from minetest_game?
First, I planned to make a game which offers APIs and other tools...
But right now it's just a game with some differences to the old MTG.
Ideas come slowly..

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oh, well. I guess I just wait a while and come back here later.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Copied some nice textures from Voxelgarden :)

Edit: And there some little changes:

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Krock, would you be able to post this sub-game in the forums of Freeminer? It might appeal to those that don't like the flowing sand/dirt/gravel in that fork's default sub-game.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Inocudom wrote:Krock, would you be able to post this sub-game in the forums of Freeminer? It might appeal to those that don't like the flowing sand/dirt/gravel in that fork's default sub-game.
Sorry, I can no longer test its compatibility with Freeminer, therefore I won't post something which (maybe) doesn't work.
Thanks for the interest.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

philipbenr wrote:Well, even though I cannot use FM right now, I am still posting Lux_Solis. There might be errors, but it makes the satisfaction of seeing something work a whole lot greater... right?

Even if you are not, would you give me permission to test, fix and post BASE on FM forums as an FM version?

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

philipbenr wrote:
philipbenr wrote:Well, even though I cannot use FM right now, I am still posting Lux_Solis. There might be errors, but it makes the satisfaction of seeing something work a whole lot greater... right?

Even if you are not, would you give me permission to test, fix and post BASE on FM forums as an FM version?
Allowed. You also can create pull requests on the Git repo to make it compatible with FM.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Alright, thank you.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post