Minetest 0.4.10 and Jungles ?

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

Minetest 0.4.10 and Jungles ?

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Hello,

I've updated Minetest to 0.4.10 yesterday and I discovered the differents features it offers. But there is a thing that I do not understand : in the Changelog, it is written "Enabled Jungle". I've created a new world, but I've not seen any jungle. Here is the map_meta.txt of this world :

Code: Select all

chunksize = 5
mg_flags = trees, caves, nodungeons, noflat, light
mg_name = v6
mgv6_freq_beach = 0.15
mgv6_freq_desert = 0.45
mgv6_np_apple_trees = 0, 1, (100, 100, 100), 342902, 3, 0.45
mgv6_np_beach = 0, 1, (250, 250, 250), 59420, 3, 0.5
mgv6_np_biome = 0, 1, (250, 250, 250), 9130, 3, 0.5
mgv6_np_cave = 6, 6, (250, 250, 250), 34329, 3, 0.5
mgv6_np_height_select = 0.5, 1, (250, 250, 250), 4213, 5, 0.69
mgv6_np_humidity = 0.5, 0.5, (500, 500, 500), 72384, 4, 0.66
mgv6_np_mud = 4, 2, (200, 200, 200), 91013, 3, 0.55
mgv6_np_steepness = 0.85, 0.5, (125, 125, 125), 4294966364, 5, 0.7
mgv6_np_terrain_base = -4, 20, (250, 250, 250), 82341, 5, 0.6
mgv6_np_terrain_higher = 20, 16, (500, 500, 500), 85039, 5, 0.6
mgv6_np_trees = 0, 1, (125, 125, 125), 2, 4, 0.66
mgv6_spflags = nojungles, biomeblend, mudflow
seed = 1147326992876594383
water_level = 1
[end_of_params]
Is it normal ? How can I enable jungle without having to write on this file for every world ?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Minetest 0.4.10 and Jungles ?

by Krock » Post

> mgv6_spflags = nojungles, biomeblend, mudflow
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Yes, but how can I enable jungle by default ?
Is it normal that there is this flag ?

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:Yes, but how can I enable jungle by default ?
Is it normal that there is this flag ?
Sure. Just open your minetest.conf
An example setting:

mg_flags = trees, caves, v6_biome_blend, >>v6_jungles<<, dungeons
or

# Map generation attributes specific to Mapgen V6.  Currently supported: biomeblend, jungles, mudflow
mgv6_spflags = biomeblend, >>jungles<<
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Since nobody has explained what is going on:
“mgv6_flags” is the name of the setting to set the map generator (version 6) “flags” (simple on/off switches). After the equals sign follows a list of those flags. A enabled featue is simply a word like “jungles”. The same feature is disabled by writing “no” before it.

Since you had “nojungles” for the flags, simply remove “no” of “nojungles” to enable the jungles.

mgv6_spflags = jungles, biomeblend, mudflow
Since your config file does not mention any map generator version 7 option, there need to be no changes (hopefully). The default in Minetest is now: Jungles on.

Warning: This may mess a bit with existing worlds, maybe some straight, sharply cut jungles may appear. Since it is only a biome, the effects may not be so dramatic and just a bit weird but not too bad for existing worlds and you may only experience it on areas you never visited before. For the best experience, you may have to start a new world.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Options like this should really be included in the GUI for creating a new world...

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I think Krock's solution is better. As he suggested me to do, I've added this in minetest.conf :

mg_flags = trees, caves, dungeons
mgv6_spflags = biomeblend, jungles, mudflow
And it works.
Wuzzy wrote:Warning: This may mess a bit with existing worlds, maybe some straight, sharply cut jungles may appear. Since it is only a biome, the effects may not be so dramatic and just a bit weird but not too bad for existing worlds and you may only experience it on areas you never visited before. For the best experience, you may have to start a new world.
And it doesn't affect old worlds.
TenPlus1 wrote:Options like this should really be included in the GUI for creating a new world...
Very good idea ! But it is not possible to do it in a mod. It should be written in the core and in builtin.
I imagine checkboxes in the dialog for creating a new world : "Flat", "Dungeons", "Jungle", etc. And a button "Advanced settings" which shows a other dialog with more settings like noises, floatlands, etc. Yes, I am dreaming. But I could talk about it to the developpers.

Marshall_maz
In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:I think Krock's solution is better. As he suggested me to do, I've added this in minetest.conf :

And it works.
Wuzzy wrote:Warning: This may mess a bit with existing worlds, maybe some straight, sharply cut jungles may appear. Since it is only a biome, the effects may not be so dramatic and just a bit weird but not too bad for existing worlds and you may only experience it on areas you never visited before. For the best experience, you may have to start a new world.
And it doesn't affect old worlds.
TenPlus1 wrote:Options like this should really be included in the GUI for creating a new world...
Very good idea ! But it is not possible to do it in a mod. It should be written in the core and in builtin.
I imagine checkboxes in the dialog for creating a new world : "Flat", "Dungeons", "Jungle", etc. And a button "Advanced settings" which shows a other dialog with more settings like noises, floatlands, etc. Yes, I am dreaming. But I could talk about it to the developpers.
Those settings doesn't work for me. I added those two lines in my minetest.conf file as well and explored very far into
new territory in my map. But no jungle trees to be found at all. :(

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Marshall_maz wrote:Those settings doesn't work for me. I added those two lines in my minetest.conf file as well and explored very far into
You need to modify `worlds/<yourworld>/map_meta.txt' for the game to take these into account in old worlds. Adding them to `minetest.conf' only works for new worlds.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Marshall_maz
In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Post

kaeza wrote:
Marshall_maz wrote:Those settings doesn't work for me. I added those two lines in my minetest.conf file as well and explored very far into
You need to modify `worlds/<yourworld>/map_meta.txt' for the game to take these into account in old worlds. Adding them to `minetest.conf' only works for new worlds.
Thank you for the help. Now it works sharp ;)

ShortCircuit
In-game: ShortCircuit

by ShortCircuit » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Since nobody has explained what is going on:
“mgv6_flags” is the name of the setting to set the map generator (version 6) “flags” (simple on/off switches). After the equals sign follows a list of those flags. A enabled featue is simply a word like “jungles”. The same feature is disabled by writing “no” before it.

Since you had “nojungles” for the flags, simply remove “no” of “nojungles” to enable the jungles.

mgv6_spflags = jungles, biomeblend, mudflow
Since your config file does not mention any map generator version 7 option, there need to be no changes (hopefully). The default in Minetest is now: Jungles on.

Warning: This may mess a bit with existing worlds, maybe some straight, sharply cut jungles may appear. Since it is only a biome, the effects may not be so dramatic and just a bit weird but not too bad for existing worlds and you may only experience it on areas you never visited before. For the best experience, you may have to start a new world.
I am running Minetest 0.4.10. As I understand it, jungle biomes are supposed to be enabled by default again in 0.4.10. However, I ran into the same problem with no jungles in new worlds created with the v6 map generator in 0.4.10.

I enabled the v6_jungles option in the minetest.conf, and still no jungles. However, upon inspecting the map_meta.txt file for the newly generated world (with v6_jungles enabled in minetest.conf) it still shows the nojungles option turned on.

Changing nojungles to jungles in map_meta.txt did enable jungles in newly generated sections of the world, as it should. However, my question is, it appears both that jungles are NOT enabled by default in 0.4.10 as advertised, and also the v6_jungles option also does not appear to work to force enable them?

I also agree that there needs to be a checklist of world generator options in the GUI, or even just a line to pass options to the map generator or see what options are being used.

ShortCircuit

by ShortCircuit » Post

After some testing, it appears that there are different options in minetest.conf for the map generator and the v6 map generator. Not sure if this has changed with 0.4.10 or not, but to enable jungles by default in minetest.conf requires the use of the mgv6_spflags variable, not the mg_flags as indicated in the minetest FAQ.

If someone can verify if this only applies to 0.4.10 or to all versions, we can get the FAQ updated so as not to misdirect people. If I have time I will install an old version to test this.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The latest daily release of Minetest has jungles enabled by default...

ShortCircuit

by ShortCircuit » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:The latest daily release of Minetest has jungles enabled by default...
That's good, but the stable release (which most users should be using) does not - and the changelog for 0.4.9 to 0.4.10 shows that jungles are enabled by default in all 0.4.10 releases, when in fact, they are not.

More important is the outdated FAQ information on enabling/disabling jungles and other features needs to be updated to show the correct variables and flags that can be used. I would update this, but I'm not sure at the moment if the information currently in the FAQ is correct for older versions or not, and I don't want to change it incorrectly.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

ShortCircuit wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:The latest daily release of Minetest has jungles enabled by default...
That's good, but the stable release (which most users should be using) does not - and the changelog for 0.4.9 to 0.4.10 shows that jungles are enabled by default in all 0.4.10 releases, when in fact, they are not.

More important is the outdated FAQ information on enabling/disabling jungles and other features needs to be updated to show the correct variables and flags that can be used. I would update this, but I'm not sure at the moment if the information currently in the FAQ is correct for older versions or not, and I don't want to change it incorrectly.
The jungles are enabled in Minetest 0.4.10 stable, you can read it yourself in the source: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... st.conf#L1

ShortCircuit

by ShortCircuit » Post

OK, I am using the latest version available from the Ubuntu PPA, and it appears that as you say the change to enable jungles should be present in the version I have, but it is not. It was a clean install with a freshly generated minetest.conf, and still, by default, new worlds still default to having mgv6_spflags = nojungles. According to the repository information the package was uploaded by Celeron55 the day after the changes were made, is it possible that the change didn't get included somehow?

napodan
GitHub: napodan

by napodan » Post

I've downloaded this file and unzip it in "d:"
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/re ... -mingw.zip

I launch minetest.exe and try to get this image : http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/File:Jungle_0.4.7.jpg
New game with :
name : titi
seed : 6933366110595859385
v6/minetest
/teleport -1206.2, 5.1, -633.2

No jungle

I modified the file minetest.conf with :
mg_flags = v6_jungles
New game with :
name : tutu
v6/minetest

No jungle

And at last with this line in minetest.conf :
mgv6_spflags = jungles
New game with :
name : toto
v6/minetest

I've got exactly the same picture like the link I gave (with jungle tree, jungle grass, cotton seed). Changelog or not, it seems that minetest 0.4.10 doesn't have jungle by default.

napodan

by napodan » Post

I've forgot to tell : there is no minetest.conf in the zip file. The one, I modified was created by the game in d:\minetest-0.4.10-win64\

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

@napodan

Try putting this in your minetest.conf file:

Then start a new world with a random seed and use /grant singleplayer all to give yourself fly and fast (and noclip) and fly around a bit.

If there are still no jungletrees, maybe you can try another build from here:
viewforum.php?f=42

The minetest.conf file is indeed created after you start your first game. I most of the time adjust my key-settings, do a 'test' game and then edit the minetest.conf file that has been created (by copy/pasting lines frome minetest.conf.example).

napodan

by napodan » Post

As I said, the only way to have jungle, for me, is to modify the minetest.conf with "mgv6_spflags = jungles". Other changes doesn't work.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I see. Reading is an art ... I still need to practice some more.

Iirc the first setup gives me jungletrees and I'm almost sure the second doesn't work. I'll recheck as soon as I use a new build.

Edit: I use Lubuntu.

napodan

by napodan » Post

Writing is an art too: I didn't say explicitly that the last configuration is working... ;-) but the last 2 lines mean so.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I compiled the latest dev-version for Lubuntu and used the first specs:

v6/minetest

And got teleported in the middle of a jungle.

So maybe it's due to the difference between Windows and Linux or may between MinGW and MSVC, I don't know.

Xanthin
GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Post

Topywo wrote:I compiled the latest dev-version for Lubuntu and used the first specs:

v6/minetest

So maybe it's due to the difference between Windows and Linux or may between MinGW and MSVC, I don't know.
I tested it with the latest build from sfan5.
Teleported to the coordinates and there is no jungle.
Than I looked in the github commits for minetest_game and saw that by default enabled jungle and dungeons are written in a seperate minetest.conf in the minetest_game folder. I added it myself and voila: new world, same seed and there is the jungle.
So maybe thats the difference, you compiled it with the config file in the game folder and other builds dont have it.
The stable release for 32 bit/64 bit msvc has this config file included, but 32 bit/64 bit mingw not.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Topywo wrote:I compiled the latest dev-version for Lubuntu and used the first specs:

v6/minetest