[Mod] Mesecons (= redstone) [GitHub] [minetest-mod-mesecons]

lunisol

Re: [Mod] Mesecons (= redstone) [GitHub] [minetest-mod-mesec

by lunisol » Post

Evergreen wrote:
lunisol wrote:I'm basically trying to build THIS, but in Minetest. I can make the auto-stone generator, but cant get the T-flipflop to work correctly. and putting a delay on it wouldn't toggle it would it? I would think that would make it both flip and flop with the same button press.
You really can't build that in minetest because "BUDs" don't exist. Torches don't work the same way in mesecons as they do in redstone either. As for the t-flipflop, just use a microcontroller.
Well what would I need to do in order to make it? And I don't know how to use the microcontroller, I barely know any coding at all.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

There is a tutorial within mesecons mod folder :)

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

You can make a kind of flip-flop circuit if you want look at these two pictures, you can ignore the delays and nand gate that I have in there. Just put both on the same circuit and put the lead to one of them on a not gate. That way whenever the on piston is on, the other piston is off. To get it to work perfectly, you may need to adjust them with a delay or something but maybe not. Depends on the speed of your system and what you have going on. Here are the two images.

Regular piston is on:

Not gated piston is now on:

Attachments
Added in case I ever close my mediafire account or lose the files.
screenshot_3089709.png (521.31 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
screenshot_3087663.png (521.08 KiB) Viewed 5865 times

orexisx89

by orexisx89 » Post

I'm having a problem getting mesecons to work properly, The mod will show in the list, I select it, hit activate, it will refuse to write to the world.mt file saying no changes would be made.

I can get the mod to work by modifying the file manually, but once I exit a world, I have to go and edit the file again because it will write the line back to false.

this happens both in windows and in Linux.

Verion is 0.4.9
NOTE: all other mods are deactivated during this process, I also tried removing all other present mods from the mods folder to see if there might have just been a weird conflict.

Here is a video of the problem I'm having

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5oE1mk ... e=youtu.be

any help greatly appreciated

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

This is a bug with Minetest modpack handling, when the modpack has the same name as a mod.
You can try to rename the modpack folder to a different name, or to use a dev version of Minetest, since the bug has been fixed in it IIRC.

orexisx89

by orexisx89 » Post

I updated to the dev build and it solved several small problems I had been encountering with the mods, thank you for the heads up, glad to know it wasn't just me, and that it's been fixed.

lunisol

by lunisol » Post

LionsDen wrote:You can make a kind of flip-flop circuit if you want look at these two pictures, you can ignore the delays and nand gate that I have in there. Just put both on the same circuit and put the lead to one of them on a not gate. That way whenever the on piston is on, the other piston is off. To get it to work perfectly, you may need to adjust them with a delay or something but maybe not. Depends on the speed of your system and what you have going on. Here are the two images.

Regular piston is on:

Not gated piston is now on:

that looks like it may work, but I'm not quite sure i understand what causes the switch in which piston is fired.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

The piston on the not gate is activated when there is no signal/power coming to it. The piston without the gate is only activated when there is a signal/power coming to it.

The part with the nand gate if you want a slight explaination is nest.

A nand gate is like a not gate and an and gate combined. It only lets the signal/power through when only one of the inputs is getting a signal/power. So with the constant signal/power to one of the inputs of the nand gate the other input is used to control whether it is on or off. In the picture you can see that I have a branch after the nand gate, one going to the pistons, the other to a couple of delays that have been punched to the maximum delay time. So when the signal/power is coming from the nand gate it goes and activates the regular piston and also send the signal/power to the first delay. After a set amount of time, the signal/power is passed on from the first delay to the second delay to make it last longer. After another set amount of time, the second delay passes the signal/power to the nand gate. This will then be providing the signal/power to the second input of the nand gate. Since there is a constant source of signal/power on the first input it will turn off the signal/power coming from the nand gates output. This will turn off the normal piston and activate the not piston since the not gate only provides signal/power when it isn't receiving any signal/power. Since the delays are still passing the signal/power from the last on cycle it will stay like this until the signal/power has finished moving through the delays. When the signal/power finishes it's path through the delays, the nand gate again has signal/power on only one of it's inputs so it starts outputting the signal/power again. The circuit just keeps repeating this pattern indefinitely.

Hope this explanation helps you out with what you are trying to do. For a bonus, I will talk about the or, and, xor, and the diode gate below.

The or gate will send a signal/power out of it's output whenever it is receiving a signal/power on one of it's inputs. It has two inputs.

The and gate will send a signal/power out of it's output whenever it is receiving a signal/power on both of it's inputs. It also has two inputs.

The xor gate will send a signal/power out of it's output whenever it is receiving a signal/power on only one of it's inputs. It also has two inputs. This is effectively just like the nand gate in effect so make whichever one is cheaper for you.

The diode gate is a little different in that it only has one input. The diode gate only lets the signal/power through one way. If you have a signal/power coming into it's input it will allow it to go through the output. But if you have a signal/power coming into it's output, it wont let it go through it's input and on. Calling a diode to have an input and output doesn't really make sense but since that is terminology that I have already used I figured I needed to use it on this as well. Basically a diode can be put in any direction but will only let the signal/power flow in one direction. There are reasons this is a good thing but tend to be useful only for advanced circuits.

Oh and the not gate is special in that it has only one input and one output. Sort of like the diode but is far more useful in even simple circuits.

hampa16

by hampa16 » Post

Do these work for minetest 0.4.9?
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Jun 25, 2014 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't over-quote.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I don't know about the stable release but I was using the indev version of sfan5's but also the modified version used in XDGAMERZzZ Skyblock map. It probably does work as I haven't heard of any recent changes but I haven't checked the github repository to see if there have been any.

hampa16

by hampa16 » Post

LionsDen wrote:I don't know about the stable release but I was using the indev version of sfan5's but also the modified version used in XDGAMERZzZ Skyblock map. It probably does work as I haven't heard of any recent changes but I haven't checked the github repository to see if there have been any.
How do I download mods and enable them for my worlds with no errors

lunisol

by lunisol » Post

LionsDen wrote:
Spoiler
The piston on the not gate is activated when there is no signal/power coming to it. The piston without the gate is only activated when there is a signal/power coming to it.

The part with the nand gate if you want a slight explaination is nest.

A nand gate is like a not gate and an and gate combined. It only lets the signal/power through when only one of the inputs is getting a signal/power. So with the constant signal/power to one of the inputs of the nand gate the other input is used to control whether it is on or off. In the picture you can see that I have a branch after the nand gate, one going to the pistons, the other to a couple of delays that have been punched to the maximum delay time. So when the signal/power is coming from the nand gate it goes and activates the regular piston and also send the signal/power to the first delay. After a set amount of time, the signal/power is passed on from the first delay to the second delay to make it last longer. After another set amount of time, the second delay passes the signal/power to the nand gate. This will then be providing the signal/power to the second input of the nand gate. Since there is a constant source of signal/power on the first input it will turn off the signal/power coming from the nand gates output. This will turn off the normal piston and activate the not piston since the not gate only provides signal/power when it isn't receiving any signal/power. Since the delays are still passing the signal/power from the last on cycle it will stay like this until the signal/power has finished moving through the delays. When the signal/power finishes it's path through the delays, the nand gate again has signal/power on only one of it's inputs so it starts outputting the signal/power again. The circuit just keeps repeating this pattern indefinitely.

Hope this explanation helps you out with what you are trying to do. For a bonus, I will talk about the or, and, xor, and the diode gate below.

The or gate will send a signal/power out of it's output whenever it is receiving a signal/power on one of it's inputs. It has two inputs.

The and gate will send a signal/power out of it's output whenever it is receiving a signal/power on both of it's inputs. It also has two inputs.

The xor gate will send a signal/power out of it's output whenever it is receiving a signal/power on only one of it's inputs. It also has two inputs. This is effectively just like the nand gate in effect so make whichever one is cheaper for you.

The diode gate is a little different in that it only has one input. The diode gate only lets the signal/power through one way. If you have a signal/power coming into it's input it will allow it to go through the output. But if you have a signal/power coming into it's output, it wont let it go through it's input and on. Calling a diode to have an input and output doesn't really make sense but since that is terminology that I have already used I figured I needed to use it on this as well. Basically a diode can be put in any direction but will only let the signal/power flow in one direction. There are reasons this is a good thing but tend to be useful only for advanced circuits.

Oh and the not gate is special in that it has only one input and one output. Sort of like the diode but is far more useful in even simple circuits.
thank you, so am I correct in my understanding that the circuit will continue with or without any input from the player? I don't want the trapdoor opening unless I specifically hit the button.

also on an unrelated note, I like your texture, which one is it?

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

If the button produces a signal continuously when on and none when off, then yes. If it just sends a quick signal on and then off when the button is pushed then you need something that would start a continuous signal until it receives another signal to turn it off. If the button just passes any signal through when on then just have a power plant on the other side and it will pass it on.

As for the texture pack, it is Summerfields.

DeepGaze
GitHub: DeepGaze
IRC: DeepGaze
In-game: DeepGaze

by DeepGaze » Post

Is it possible to make :
1: Diagonal piston; moves a block towards the player whilst being underneath
2: settable piston; when punched you can type a number for it to move the block
3: hologram; ghost-stone that imitates the texture of another block(when it is its "inventory"
there's no place like 127.0.0.1
The deep life Minetest text page
minetest cards

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Maybe as a mod DeepGaze but I don't know about with mesecons, I kind of doubt it.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Don't see how that affects any of DeepGaze's questions.

1) He wants a piston that moves a block that is above and to one side of the piston. Pistons only move blocks right next to them, not diagonally.

2) He wants to make it so that he can set how far a block will move when activated on by the piston. This can't be set in the current version of mesecons. No idea if it will ever be able to be set or not.

3) As far as imitating another blocks texture, that is a limit of minetest. To make it work, you would have to create a node for each and every texture in the game the mod is being used in. A relative nightmare because then you would have to have some method of getting it to show the proper node you want. If the devs ever implemented a meta for a node's texture it would be quite easy to do. So far no one has shown any enthusiasm for implementing this in the game. Once a node has been created, you can't change it's texture currently.

I don't see how mesecons wiring being unable to connect with pressure plates 2 nodes away has anything to do with these questions unless you were trying to comment that this still doesn't work. If so, sorry for the misunderstanding.

freejack

by freejack » Post

I have an observation/question and it actually is a real simple one. When using pressure plates with doors..... If you step on the pate it opens the door and then closes it. If you manually open the door and pass over the plate it nver activates and closes the door once you have passed over the plate. Is this intentional by design or just a forgotten use for pressure plates? Also it does not play the sounds of the door opening or closing.

JKMurray

by JKMurray » Post

A video about this amazing mod can be found here: http://youtu.be/FUnl0v3CgoQ

TheEpicJames
IRC: TheEpicJames
In-game: Block_Guy
Location: Some grassy area next to a forest, a river and a desert.

by TheEpicJames » Post

oh please, can we just have item droppers?

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

LionsDen wrote:Don't see how that affects any of DeepGaze's questions.
I wasn't answering, but asking. DeepGaze isn't the only one with questions here ;)

The thing is, there IS a problem with activation of a node in a position of "2 nodes below".
That's a bug. So, I'll just repeat my question with repost of a link I've provided: viewtopic.php?p=145676#p145676

The whole point is explained there. There are even screenshots :)

alejandroosorto

by alejandroosorto » Post

hey how can i turn the mesecon torch off? i am trying to make a automatic door and the mesecon torch dont turn off help me please

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

alejandroosorto wrote:how can i turn the mesecon torch off?
Put another power source nearby.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

kidmondo
IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

by kidmondo » Post

Why is the sticky piston not sticking to the other piston?

lesto

by lesto » Post

i was tryng to build a retracting bridge using stiky piston, where a row 4 stiky piston push eachother (bridge can be crossed walking over the pistons), andthen when i'm not nearby they shold retract leaving a unjumpable gap. Problem is stiky piston wount stay stiky over first line.

bridge close (crossable)
bridge2.png
bridge2.png (1 MiB) Viewed 5865 times
bridge open (NOT crossable) BROKEN!
bridge2.png
bridge2.png (1 MiB) Viewed 5865 times
i've also tried with 1 delayer (1 sec) so far piston would close before others. stil does not work
Attachments
bridge1.png
bridge1.png (1009.72 KiB) Viewed 5865 times