[Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sokomine's changes just went into git:

https://github.com/VanessaE/plantlife/c ... 8faddfe624
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

VanessaE wrote:Sokomine's changes just went into git:

https://github.com/VanessaE/plantlife/c ... 8faddfe624
Very good idea, VanessaE. I hope the same will be done for farming and farming_plus one day (considering what you did to them on your creative server, I would suggest making pull requests for them.)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

And.. minor tweak pushed to git to slow the fruit regrowth abm down.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update today: The junglegrass mod will now define default:junglegrass if it doesn't exist (e.g. if your game doesn't already include it). All pies' recipes that rely on it can also work with the other sizes of junglegrass that come with this modpack.

Minor tuning for pies vs. fruits:
Raw fruit or sugar heals 1/2 heart.
A raw pie heals 2 hearts.
A cooked pie heals 3 hearts or it can be split into 6 slices.
A slice of pie heals 1/2 heart.
A basket of pies heals 9 hearts (and sadly, consumes the basket).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Another update:

Had a "DUH!" moment just after that last update...minetest_game usually has PilzAdam's farming mod included with it, so bushes will use that mod's flour for making pies instead of jungle grass, if it is installed. Junglegrass will be used only if farming is not present.

Make bushes mod support farming_plus a little bit - either its or bushes' strawberries may be used to make a strawberry pie or a mixed fruit pie - mix and match the two types of strawberries as desired.

move clone node function from junglegrass mod to plants_lib so that other mods can use it.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I tweaked the lilypad textures in this mod for use in my game Eden. I softened the color differences a little. I think it looks pretty good. If you agree, I will create a pull request for this mod. If not, that's cool too.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

sure, go ahead and make your pull request :)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Updates:

Made bushes also spawn on wet or dry farming soil (at the same rates as anywhere else).

Slowed down overall berry regrowth and at the same time make it so that if a bush is planted on wet farming soil, it will re-grow its berries faster, provided the soil remains wet.

On average, a wild bush will regrow its berries 50% slower than before, while a farmed bush will regrow its berries twice as fast as the wild ones did before (about three times faster than a wild one does now).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Minor change to plants_lib: It now takes the current time_speed (in your minetest.conf) into account when setting the growing and spawning ABM intervals. A time_speed of 72 (the default) will keep the intervals unchanged, so most users won't see any change from this. Double that speed results in half the interval, and so forth.

A lower limit of 1 for growing and spawning intervals is now in effect, should the math go all wonky for some reason.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: Added the necessary flags to most plantlike objects for when the new waving plants shader gets put into mainsteam.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: The jungle grass mod has gone bye-bye. It was annoying, believed to have been the cause of some lag, and not really necessary. It may make a re-appearance some day, but if so it will be only via on-generated. I might make the grass spawn in multiple sizes (like the default wild grass does) and have it grow into full default:junglegrass if people still want that (but I won't make it die and disappear).

The removed nodes have been aliased to air. The old code still remains in git history if people decide they still want it. No changes were made to the API, so it'll still run.

Alienhunter3010

by Alienhunter3010 » Post

Hi to all,
I wrote this patch that I add on the bottom of existing one inside flowers_plus:

Code: Select all

-- by ACe
plantslib:spawn_on_surfaces({
        spawn_delay = SPAWN_DELAY*2,
        spawn_plants = {"flowers:tulip", "flowers:rose", "flowers:dandelion_yellow", "flowers:dandelion_white", "flowers:geranium", "flowers:viola"},
        spawn_chance = SPAWN_CHANCE*2,
        spawn_surfaces = {"default:dirt_with_grass"},
        avoid_nodes = {"group:flower", "group:flora" },
        seed_diff = flowers_seed_diff,
        light_min = 4,
        light_max = 10,
        neighbors = {"default:water_source"},
        ncount = 1,
        facedir = 1
})
I expect that fowers spawn by themself on existing map areas - ad waterlilys do! - but it doesn't work. What's my mistake? I have no errors on the server log!

Thank you.

CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Post

Vanessa, thank-you for all you wonderful mod and textures packs, each of them work. Keep up all the good work you are doing for Minetest.

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Plantlife [20140524] [plantlife]

by VanessaE » Post

Update: Some performance improvements by SoniEx2 and I, plus the best part is that the ability to directly pass a function to the register_generate_plant() call has been added, thanks to SoniEx2 as well.

DEPRECATED: Passing functions as literal strings there is no longer recommended. Please pass functions directly in that call instead. The two ABM-based calls still use strings, even though I botched the commit messages. :-) These will be updated to follow soon.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Hello !

I've found somewhat strange in the code, I think it's an error.
In flower_plus/init.lua lines 317 and 318 : the variables lilypads_max_count and lilypads_rarity don't appear at others places. By adding "print(tostring(lilipad_max_count) .. tostring(lilipad_rarity))" I'm now sure that there are nil. I've tried to replace "lilypads" by "lilies" and I've obtained more waterlilies, and especially more differents ones. I've created two worlds with the same seed and take screenshots at the same places :
First world : with "lilies" at lines 317-318
Second world, with "lilypads" :

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Your copy must be out of date, as I've just just checked with the current git HEAD of plantlife and current minetest_game, and I can simply right click and place a lily or seaweed on the water, and both behave exactly as you suggest they should.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I'm not talking about placing a lily with right click, but about spawning in map generation (I have not a good english, I know). I've downloaded plantlife yesterday. I'm trying to understand the API of Plantlib to make a mod. I was analysing the code of the mods of Plantlife (to see examples), and Moretrees, and I find strange that max_count and rarity are set on nil values because the variants (and not variables, it's in French) lilypads_max_count and lilypads_rarity doesn't exist.

But except it I think it's an awesome work and I will try to make my mod compatible with Plantlife and Moretrees.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Oh yes now I see what you're saying. Fixed in git.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: Please welcome another old friend back to your Minetest worlds. :-)

I've imported part of the original nature pack - namely, the apple blossoms/apple spawning code, and have named the result "nature_classic" in this modpack. It still works like it always has, too, e.g. apple blossoms will eventually spawn on default trees if they're near water, and apples will gradually grow on said trees. Blossoms will turn back into leaves after some time, and are usable as fuel. This version has an extra flag in the node def to make the blossoms wave with the waving leaves shader.

This does not include the old iron trees code, as that's just plain obsolete, nor the growing trees code, as I don't think that's really necessary at this time.

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Plantlife [20140524] [plantlife_modpack]

by VanessaE » Post

Important update:

I have changed the top level folder and Github name of this project to plantlife_modpack. Might be a good idea to rename your copies to follow, just for consistency, but no changes should actually be necessary on anyone's systems. Links in the first post have been updated; existing local repository copies should continue to work without changes.

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Plantlife [20140704] [plantlife_modpack]

by VanessaE » Post

Update: nature_classic was producing too many apples and not keeping the growth of them and their blossoms to be near water. Fixed.

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Plantlife [20140704] [plantlife_modpack]

by VanessaE » Post

Update: Mossmanikin's Dryplants (grasses), Ferns, and the components of Undergrowth modpack have been imported into this modpack so as to avoid being lost due to abandonment. They can be disabled by simply deleting their respective folders, as per usual, if so desired.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

Re: [Modpack] Plantlife [git rolling release][plantlife_modp

by Minetestforfun » Post

waow ! very great update VanessaE, im very keen on Ferns, thank you for your work !

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Even better: I just pushed a couple of commits: One to greatly speed up plants_lib and one that modifies some of Moss's mods' biome defs to further speed up the pack.

This update reduces the total number of mapgen calls in Dreambuilder, for example, from 123 down to just 6, and 5 of those are legacy. The one non-legacy mapgen call now runs through around 50 unique biome hooks instead of those same 123.

On the whole I would say the mapgen code is somewhere close to 10 times faster, since the main bottleneck is those legacy mapgen calls (which have to evaluate 80*80*80 nodes with each and every call). Your mileage may vary.

Mods that depend on plants_lib should work without any changes.

This change does not affect the ABM-based code.

EDIT: Forgot to push some changes to the repo. Force-pushed them just now.

EDIT: Also, just made most of the smaller plants buildable_to - but not all of them. Some of them are kinda "tough" in my opinion (like reeds, bushes, and young trees) and so must still be dug first.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

VanessaE wrote: On the whole I would say the mapgen code is somewhere close to 10 times faster, since the main bottleneck is those legacy mapgen calls (which have to evaluate 80*80*80 nodes with each and every call). Your mileage may vary.
That's very good to hear! I love the nice nature these mods create, but speed at mapgen time used to be very slow. Any speedup is highly welcomed.
VanessaE wrote: EDIT: Also, just made most of the smaller plants buildable_to - but not all of them. Some of them are kinda "tough" in my opinion (like reeds,
bushes, and young trees) and so must still be dug first.
I don't like that buildabe_to too much. The plants seem to get lost then. Which is ok if you're in creative mode - but otherwise plants do get lost. Perserve the nature! :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.