Need server help please

mojuave

Need server help please

by mojuave » Post

Little quick story... I started playing this game a week ago only because my 8 year old niece is fascinated with minecraft but her mother is unsure about online and cost of it so I searched alternatives. No need to say I am having a wonderful time and visited a few servers so I decided to make a server BUT make it private that she, her friends, me and my friend(who plays minecraft) can come on. Please understand she is 8 years old and her mother and I want to keep her from the general public. Not to say anyone is bad I just don't want to take the chance of her hearing, seeing or knowing anything she isn't supposed to.

That being said my friend or I are not very computer literate we did manage to get a server going but having difficulty making it private where its not on the list. That's the first question but more are... in other servers there is so much going on like example on Tony's server you get a 3x3 crafting grid, have a list of thing's and how to make them, set home, go home, teleport, ect

I tried installing a few mods but they do not come up in game they are in the folder on computer and shows installed on game menu but don't work

I want to give her the best experience of playing so if anyone or multiple people have answers it would be most appreciated

Thank You

Mojuave (Mike)

Topywo

Re: Need server help please

by Topywo » Post

mojuave wrote: I tried installing a few mods but they do not come up in game they are in the folder on computer and shows installed on game menu but don't work
Did you enable the mods (configure, check and save)?
If yes, delete the file "debug.txt", then start a new minetest game with the mods you installed and checked. Exit the game, open debug.txt and copy/paste the text here.

My best bet is you also need to install dependencies (and some of those might also need other dependencies)

Oh, and most (popular) mods work with the latest minetest development versions.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

It's easy to set up a private server.

Just ignore the

Code: Select all

server_announce = true
part in the server creation guide. This way it won't show up in the public server list.

And there's an image I've made some some days ago.. possibly helpful

See also: http://wiki.minetest.net/Mods
http://wiki.minetest.net/Installing_Mods
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

mojuave

by mojuave » Post

thank you guys for the help it all works now

Marshall_maz
In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Post

Something you can consider regarding mods. You might want to look into using something else than minetest_game.
For example if you use dreambuilder_game viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9196 a whole stack of mods are already included and enabled by default. Saving you the time and hassle to install it yourself.
There are a number of different games in that section of the forum. Check it out if you want.