[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.9] LinuxGaming.us:30000 - Player Skins, Crafting Gu

by LazyJ » Post

Yesterday the server crashed 3 times because of a corrupted, waypoints file.

To fix the problem I had to delete the file which means that particular player lost the waypoints they had set. If you depend on Unified Inventory's waypoints feature, I highly recommend that you write down the coords of those waypoints. This problem will happen again and it is entirely random. No way of knowing who, why or when. So, write down those coords.

I've posted an "issue" on Unified Inventory's GitHub repository and included the pertanent parts of the log file. Hopefully RealBadAngel can find a solution.

The Areas protection mod was updated recently but I forgot to change the settings. The settings are back in place so players can set ptrotection on, up to, 16 areas, 50x100x50 each.

I've tinkered with the sethome mod so now no privs are required to use the "/sethome", "/home", and "/spawn" commands.

Update

The first fix attempt didn't work, but it at least removed on possiblity from the list. I've edited another file that is linked to all the waypoint files. Since I'm not able to reproduce the error on my home computer, I'm not able to work through the problem to find the real issue and fix it. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

oriol, if you are reading this, it was your waypoints file that was corrupted. If this latest fix attempt doesn't do the trick, please post or PM me here and describe what you are doing before the server crashes. Hopefully we can figure this thing out. Thanks ;) Log in to the server with oriol2 and that should by-pass the problems with your "oriol" account. An admin can swtich your stuff over to your "oriol2" account. But we still need to figure out the cause of this problem so we can either learn how to fix it when it happens again or how to solve the cause altogether.

Guinzo
IRC: TheGuinzo
In-game: TheGuinzo

by Guinzo » Post

Ok, it's stupid, but HOENN CONFIRMED! Is the title of my last pixel art, i hope who read this post appreciates that :)

Brian

by Brian » Post

Hi folks Brian here. Everyone else seems to have a skin, so I figured I should as well.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Skin Uploaded

Howdy, Brian ;)

Your skin file has been uploaded and will take affect after the next server restart or after the nightly backup.

Lamposts

There was a problem with lamposts not fully forming when placed in protected areas. I've uploaded a fix for that. It too will take affect after the next server restart.

Guinzo Art Studio Creations

That's a cool looking critter, Guinzo!

I've added your "HOENN CONFIRMED!" post to the sight-seeing link list.

Thanks for helping our server look better. :)

shadowpawn84

by shadowpawn84 » Post

Greetings Folks! I had a free moment today and thought it would be a wonderful time to show you all some various builds from the "moderator's collaborative bonanza". Hope you enjoy!

Moderator Kitchen by shadowpawn84

Main waiting room by shadowpawn84

Mod Offices by shadowpawn84

Ice Dome by klappspaten and shadowpawn84

Dark Staircase by klappspaten

Diamond Lava Dome by shadowpawn84 and klapspaten

shadowpawn84's birthday Dark chocolate ebil lava cake by ubuntuyou

Twilight Hallway by shadowpawn84

Room Skew by shadowpawn84 and klappspaten

Main Pagota by shadowpawn84

Hall of Heroes

Open Temple by shadowpawn84 and klappspaten
Last edited by shadowpawn84 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

ubuntuyou

by ubuntuyou » Post

shadowpawn84

by shadowpawn84 » Post

Part 2 of the Moderator Expo

Shadowy entryway by shadowpawn84

Shady Seat by shadowpawn84

Library by shadowpawn84

Dreams of Contrast by shadowpawn84

"Throne Room" by shadowpawn84

Bell tower by shadowpawn84

Watchtower by klappspaten

Entryway by klappspaten

Forest Biome by klappspaten

Desert Biome by klappspaten

Descent by klappspaten
Last edited by shadowpawn84 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

shadowpawn84

by shadowpawn84 » Post

Moderator Expo part 3

Black Room by klappspaten

Dressing Room by klappspaten

Pristine by klappspaten

Heart of Darkness by klappspaten

Ubuntuyou's entryway by ubuntuyou

Foyer by ubuntuyou

Royal bedchamber by ubuntuyou

Private Bathroom by ubuntuyou

Royal Audience chamber by ubuntuyou

Dungeon Royale by ubuntuyou

shadowpawn84

by shadowpawn84 » Post

Moderator collaboration part 4

Puzzle Box by klappspaten

Ladies Room by klappspaten

Sleepytime by klappspaten

Light house by klappspaten

Ugly-Copter by shadowpawn84

Ticket Office by klappspaten

"No Country for old Mods" by klappspaten

Cinema by klappspaten

Skybox by klappspaten

Executive Washroom by klappspaten

"My submission for the New Year's Cover Page" by shadowpawn84

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

shadowpawn84, ubuntuyoy, klappspaten...

Wow.

Impressive work; very impressive!! \o/

I've added links to the posts to the "Featured Builds Link List" in the first post. Thanks again for sharing your great works ;)

ubuntuyou, I did some digging and found that your posted screenshot (that's not showing in the post above shadowpawn84's) is coming from your Dropbox account. Try moving the image into your Dropbox's "Public" folder, right-click on it, and then get the URL from there. I think that might the URL that Dropbox will allow to be shown here. It's a cool shot of the knife cutting into the cake and lava spilling out from the slice. :)

Dogzilla131

by Dogzilla131 » Post

Hi my in-game username is Dogzilla131.
I'm requesting my skin to change to this skin that I attached.
Thank You.
Attachments
skin_20140713160935188921.png
skin_20140713160935188921.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Howdy, Dogzilla131 ;)

Your skin has been uploaded and will take effect after the next restart.

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.9] LinuxGaming - Sethome, Travelnet, Craft Guide

by LazyJ » Post

Update - 2014_07_22
  • Overview maps updated
  • Info mod installed - Ingame, text-based, information about the server. Type /info to get started. Use arrow keys to scroll up and down
  • Empty rubber tree trunks are now craftable - 2 rubber tree trunks = 2 empty rubber tree trunks
  • Lantern mod lampposts now check for space before forming and will not destroy nodes as a result.

Brian

by Brian » Post

Really nice builds!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Bump! Overview maps updated, 2014_08_06

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

UPDATE

Tool Repair is back to 100%. ;)

I uploaded the MoreBlocks update earlier this past week but forgot to add the extra boost to the tool repair. I just fixed that and restarted the server to activate it.

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

im make some ruins
lets exprore!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Renovation Project - "Noah's Hill-House"
Transforming a dirt-entombed, one-room house into a cozy hill-house.

Noah's Hill-House - Front 1, Before
This hill-house was originally built by noahdood2613. It was a simple, wooden rectangular house with a steel door. The house was covered entirely with dirt, including the steel door, in an attempt to camouflage it. It's perfectly rectangular shape gave it away as it stood-out among the gentle, rolling hills of Kentro Province.

Noah's Hill-House - Front 1, After
The overall dimensions and wood structure were kept. I built-up the dirt roof in to an irregular-shaped mound to better fit with the surrounding landscape. I also added a stonebrick chimney, topped with a chimney_top from my updated, fork of Semmet9's "Fake Fire" mod. (If you would like to see the new, drifting smoke for yourself, come visit our Minetest server at adress: linuxgaming.us, port: 30000)

Noah's Hill-House - Front 2, Before
In the low, middle right of the screenshot you can see the wood frame and a little bit of the locked chest inside the structure.

Noah's Hill-House - Front 2, After
I removed most of the dirt along the two sides facing away from the bank. This exposed more of the tan colored wood to add more natural contrast. Wooden fence gates were used as decorative supports for the dirt overhangs. Tree trunks provided a dark brown to contrast with the wood. This is also more in keeping with the rural theme of Kentro Province.

Noah's Hill-House - Back 1, Before
This view shows why the build's attempted camouflage didn't work so well.

Noah's Hill-House - Back 1, After
If you can't hide it, flaunt it. Instead of a perfectly flat and rectangular roof, a more random shaped, multi-layered roof fits better with the surroundings. It's not hidden but it's not sticking out like a sore thumb either.

Noah's Hill-House - Back 2, Before
Another view of the back showing that, "Uh... yeah. Something's not very well hidden."

Noah's Hill-House - Back 2, After
Besides the more natural shaped and layered roof, extra dimension was added to the house. The over all visual variety was improved by adding more depth with glass panes instead of glass blocks. There was also an uncovered well that I dressed up with wooden fences, a canopy, and a little landscaping.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 1, Before
Like most builds, not much emphasis is placed on developing the interior. This build was no exception. One of the many challenges of renovating small builds is figuring out ways to improve the interior.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 1, After
Even though the interior is small, it can be made to look a little larger by using slabs and stairs to open up pockets of space.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 2, Before
Completely enclosed with only a single torch for lighting this build's interior looked more like a root cellar than a cozy, one-room house.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 2, After
By adding windows not only was more natural light brought into the interior but it also help make the interior seem a little larger. I used glass panes instead of glass blocks to create surface dimensions. By adding stairs under the panes, even more surface dimensions and pockets of open space were added. All of this together made the small room look a little lager and much more appealing.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 3, Before
Another area that needed improvement was the visual monotony caused by using only wood for everything.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 3, After
By laying down a floor of MoreBlocks' plankstone, stonebrick stairs around the furnace to create a chimney, a purple flower in a contrasting orange pot, a blue and white bed, and greenery showing through the windows, the room was made much more visually appealing.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 4, Before
Too much of the same color and patterns. Even the wood grain was all going in the same direction.

Noah's Hill-House - Interior 4, After
A corner shot from the doorway of the much improved interior. Once a dirt tomb now renovated into a cozy, hill-house. ; )

Last edited by LazyJ on Mon Aug 11, 2014 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

LazyJ wrote: Transforming a dirt-entombed, one-room house into a cozy hill-house.
Thanks for the documentation! I hope some new players will read it and get some inspirations as to how one may build and that not everything has to be the common ugly cobble/wood/dirt box.
A list of my mods can be found here.

playzooki

by playzooki » Post

at 1078, 4, 200 : "immaculate residential". Teleported from spawn, 5 mins later, no chunks have loaded

EDIT: seems like chunks dont load when i use the teleporter network

EDIT2: chunks are loading very slowly when i walk/run, and sometimes never at all

edit3:logged out and back in, works fine, nvm

Guinzo
IRC: TheGuinzo
In-game: TheGuinzo

by Guinzo » Post

I would like to advertise minetest in an Italian forum, and I would like to quote your server, whether for advertising, and to give an example of what minetest can give, of course, to give the Italian newcomers welcome me. Sorry if I made mistakes, google translator.

playzooki

by playzooki » Post

The user brothersome has griefed my mine. He has dug down to ~ 449, -851, 1389 and installed elevators. He also had taken many ores, and by the looks of it, dug down to lava and taken all the ores, except for coal, iron, copper, tin, and some gold. He has also protected some of it. I dont know how you deal with things like this, so i'll leave it to you.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Howdy, playzooki ;)

I checked the area and brothersome's elevator system. It doesn't look like he was targeting you or attempting to grief anyone. His system is to dig down a bit, set an elevator then continue digging down until he finds a cavern, mine the cavern and then continue digging downward. brothersome's mining just happened to intersect an area where you were mining. The protection brothersome has set is small and limited to protecting his elevators. He is not trying to make a land-grab.

When it comes to mines we typically don't do much about claim issues because mines sprawl in all directions, overlapping and intersecting many areas of other players.

Our server has ShadowNinja's "Areas" protection mod and an easy GUI (Sokomine's "Markers" mod) for players to use to set protection on their own stuff. If players can't be bothered to set protection on their own stuff, then it's entirely their problem when they get griefed.

Each player has up to 16 protections that they can set. brothersome is wasting his allotment of protection sets on his mining.

I highly recommend that you use the techniques the savvy miners of our server use.

The savvy miners will dig a 1x1 mineshaft straight down, periodically setting their second sethome as they go. This way the can reach diamond, mese, and mithril depths much more quickly while still being able to teleport, from anywhere, to the bottom of their mineshaft to continue mining.

They also listen for the rumble of lava. When they hear lava, they mine much more carefully by slowing down and poking holes around them from a safe position to find just how close the lava is to them. Once found they plug the hole quickly with cobble and adjust their mine shaft from that point. Playing Minetest without sound is a handicap when mining.

Those who don't have sound use an additional technique for when they break through the roof of a lava lake.

If they've been setting their second sethome, slightly before the last spot they dug, as they mine deeper, they will be able to return to it just before they fell into the lava lake. As soon as they materialize at that position, they set cobble (or some other solid, non-falling block) immediately below them to prevent them from falling into the lava lake again. From that point, they dig to the side, away from the lake, and continue mining and setting-home #2 as they go.

playzooki

by playzooki » Post

ah, thanks for that. at first i thought i had dug that, seemed remarkably similar to how i mine, lol.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

LazyJ wrote: They also listen for the rumble of lava.
Oh. I wasn't aware of lava making sound. My speakers are usually turned off. Lava does shimmer through conneting nodes though - thus, if you don't dig too fast, you might see mysterious light and be more careful there.
LazyJ wrote: If they've been setting their second sethome, slightly before the last spot they dug, as they mine deeper, they will be able to return to it just before they fell into the lava lake. As soon as they materialize at that position, they set cobble (or some other solid, non-falling block) immediately below them to prevent them from falling into the lava lake again. From that point, they dig to the side, away from the lake, and continue mining and setting-home #2 as they go.
I use a slightly diffrent technic. While I'll most likely set home somewhere deep in a mine (where I want to continue digging material next time), the dropshaft is also a working one: From time to time, I dig nodes at the side to turn part of the shaft into a sneak elevator. Good for slowing down and clinging to these nodes holding SHIFT. If lava or too deep caves show up, there'll be a place to stop and dig sideways somewhere above.
A list of my mods can be found here.