I'm new... very new...

huasonshine

I'm new... very new...

by huasonshine » Post

I know newbies are annoying, but there is noway to pick up something new without being a newbie... and apparently I have learned just enough to be dangerous! (to my new village) :) I spent hours digging, plotting & placing my fairly elaborate village... and managed to corrupt it somehow... now when I log in all I see is stars and nothing in my inventory.. any ideas?? Also I would love to read or learn more about the game, I've read the wiki, so I have the basics, is there something a bit more advanced? perhaps someone has some personal tutorials??

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: I'm new... very new...

by Inocudom » Post

More information is needed first. What version of Minetest are you using? What is your operating system? Where is your world saved at?

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Indeed, we need more informations...

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Note: Only download MT from minetest.net ; or the Cleron55 Github or a build fund in this forums!
Note 2: Read THIS wiki http://wiki.minetest.net/ (NOT THIS: wiki.minetest.com)

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Dragonop wrote:Note: Only download MT from minetest.net ; or the Cleron55 Github or a build fund in this forums!
Note 2: Read THIS wiki http://wiki.minetest.net/ (NOT THIS: wiki.minetest.com)
Eh , not the celeron55 github, but this: https://github.com/minetest/minetest

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

Inocudom wrote:More information is needed first. What version of Minetest are you using? What is your operating system? Where is your world saved at?
Ooops sorry :) Minetest-0.4.10-win64
I'm using windows 7 on my old toshiba laptop which may need a wipe if I can find my disk...
at the moment my world is saved its folder on my desktop, should I have saved it elsewhere??

I did get my minetest from minetest.net, perhaps I should download it again, is the Cleron 55 better in my case?

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

huasonshine wrote:
Inocudom wrote:More information is needed first. What version of Minetest are you using? What is your operating system? Where is your world saved at?
Ooops sorry :) Minetest-0.4.10-win64
I'm using windows 7 on my old toshiba laptop which may need a wipe if I can find my disk...
at the moment my world is saved its folder on my desktop, should I have saved it elsewhere??

I did get my minetest from minetest.net, perhaps I should download it again, is the Cleron 55 better in my case?
Celeron55 is the original creator of minetest. His fork of minetest is outdated, so don't use it. Also, github isn't going to be much help if you are on windows. Just use sfan5's or BlockMen's windows builds.

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

Thanks Evergreen :)
"sfan5's or BlockMen's windows builds" that would be their mods and texture packs? That may be how i messed up my game, I downloaded a couple mods, I deleted them but my world was already lost. Learning curves, a necessary evil....

So is minetest better for linux or windows? I am going to set up my desktop with linux, probably Ubuntu...

I love pixel painting so eventually I would like to try my hand at making graphics for the mods

u34

by u34 » Post

welcome to this Forum.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

huasonshine wrote:Thanks Evergreen :)
"sfan5's or BlockMen's windows builds" that would be their mods and texture packs? That may be how i messed up my game, I downloaded a couple mods, I deleted them but my world was already lost. Learning curves, a necessary evil....

So is minetest better for linux or windows? I am going to set up my desktop with linux, probably Ubuntu...

I love pixel painting so eventually I would like to try my hand at making graphics for the mods
Well, I don't think it's better for linux necessarily, it's just easier to develop if you're using linux.

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

Thanks for the welcome cHyper, I like it here, I've only been playing for a few days, my boys live minecraft on their xbox so I was glad to find a similar open source. At least now I can get a clue of what they are talking about :) They both have a minetest game open on my laptop now and seem to be very happy with it as well...

Thanks for all your help Evergreen , I have visited both sfan and BlockMen to browse for mods :), now the fun part load them up and try them out :)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

With Linux it is a few commands. With Windows it is spending a lot of time configuring tools and downloading packages.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

huasonshine wrote: I deleted them but my world was already lost.
It doesn't have to be lost. Make sure to make a backup of your world! Then take a look at which error messages you get. Take a look at the file debug.txt and post its last lines here.
A list of my mods can be found here.

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
It doesn't have to be lost. Make sure to make a backup of your world! Then take a look at which error messages you get. Take a look at the file debug.txt and post its last lines here.
Yes I think I will be sure to save my progress regularly from now on!!
rubenwardy wrote:With Linux it is a few commands. With Windows it is spending a lot of time configuring tools and downloading packages.
Nice!! can't wait to get it set up, there are probably alot of great mods for Linux!

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

huasonshine wrote: Nice!! can't wait to get it set up, there are probably alot of great mods for Linux!
The Windows and the Linux mods are the same, they are (almost all) developed in the both operative sistems. The difference is that for Windows you need to Unpack a lot of things, but almost all the mods are the same.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

huasonshine wrote:
Sokomine wrote:
Yes I think I will be sure to save my progress regularly from now on!!
rubenwardy wrote:With Linux it is a few commands. With Windows it is spending a lot of time configuring tools and downloading packages.
Nice!! can't wait to get it set up, there are probably alot of great mods for Linux!
All mods work no matter what platform you are on.

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

ahh, gotcha... so my problems are all user issues :) ..

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

So I had tried a couple of the top ten minetest mods, animals by sapier, and some house decor by VanessaE...
my world had gotten stuck, I got an error that said it could not find the mods so I tried to ESC to the menu and my world would not close after about 10 minutes or so I X'd out and ended up having to force it closed and restarted when I comeback my world was startdust... anywhooo what could I have done differently to leave it in a better situation?

I had found out how to end the session in the env_meta when my game had gotten stuck before... maybe I just really need to wipe this goofy toshiba and start from scratch... It has other issues as well... most annoying is the connector adaptor issue... but that is a story for a different forum..

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

Ok I did it again, now I locked up a test world ~

10:13:29: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Sonuahua\Desktop\minetest-0.4.10-win64\bin\..\builtin\init.lua

I may have deleted a mod that was installed on it, I tried to reconfigure but it is still not loading...

Sorry I am just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong so I can stop doing it :)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

huasonshine wrote:10:13:29: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Sonuahua\Desktop\minetest-0.4.10-win64\bin\..\builtin\init.lua
You need the complete "builtin" folder in your minetest folder. Copypasta.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

That is not quite true. I know of one map mod that works only on linux. It said so, but anyhow, that mod is too outdated (I think.)

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

philipbenr wrote:
That is not quite true. I know of one map mod that works only on linux. It said so, but anyhow, that mod is too outdated (I think.)
Well, the mod has to do something outside of the modding api to be incompatible with windows.

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

Krock wrote:
huasonshine wrote:10:13:29: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Sonuahua\Desktop\minetest-0.4.10-win64\bin\..\builtin\init.lua
What? Who?? Where?? :)

I had copied and pasted the mods into the mods folder per the instructions. Was I supposed to paste something into the built-ins folder as well??

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

huasonshine wrote:
Krock wrote:
What? Who?? Where?? :)

I had copied and pasted the mods into the mods folder per the instructions. Was I supposed to paste something into the built-ins folder as well??
Copy this folder to C:\Users\Sonuahua\Desktop\minetest-0.4.10-win64\bin\
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

huasonshine

by huasonshine » Post

"Copy this folder to C:\Users\Sonuahua\Desktop\minetest-0.4.10-win64\bin\[/quote]"

these folders already appear in that designated folder, should I replace them?