Administration abuse

KLK
GitHub: Klkmanin
In-game: Klk

Administration abuse

by KLK » Post

One day i was playing minetest with one of my friends. In the chat my friend called someone crybaby. At reading this, one of the admin killed my friend, destroy his house, and killed me, i was shocked, i asked him why he had to kill me too, his response was " you was in my way" minutes later he ban my friend account and mines too.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Administration abuse

by Krock » Post

Switch servers and don't self-quote.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Tedypig
IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

by Tedypig » Post

Switch servers. Admins/Owners can do as they please. If you don't like how a server is run, no one is forcing you to stay. In my opinion, this is wrong, It should have gone through steps, like warn/kill/ban or something, but it's their server.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Change server, and tell us what is the name ofthe server :p

KLK

by KLK » Post

The name of the serve is xanadu.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

KLK wrote:The name of the serve is xanadu.
Go elsewhere, such as "Onez' Minetest Server" (You may overhear me in the IRC channel)

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Really? I thought that one was much nicer... Then again, it isn't hosted by TenPlus1...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494

^^ This is the forum thread ^^ I think that would be the most appropriate place to complain.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

philipbenr wrote:Really? I thought that one was much nicer... Then again, it isn't hosted by TenPlus1...

^^ This is the forum thread ^^ I think that would be the most appropriate place to complain.
I've been pinged enough on IRC to deal with him - including a complete ban from the serverlist.

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Tedypig wrote:Switch servers. Admins/Owners can do as they please. If you don't like how a server is run, no one is forcing you to stay. In my opinion, this is wrong, It should have gone through steps, like warn/kill/ban or something, but it's their server.
Yes of course, i agree.

BUT, if admins exaggerate of they powers and punish players without any reasons, i think it's very bad for the minetest community ! And i think, a higher authority should be there to protect the players from this kind of situation... (specifically on public servers)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Jordach wrote:
philipbenr wrote:Really? I thought that one was much nicer... Then again, it isn't hosted by TenPlus1...

I've been pinged enough on IRC to deal with him - including a complete ban from the serverlist.
This doesn't surprise me at all.

It's funny, you know, that the individual never posts in these forums.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Minetestforfun wrote:And i think, a higher authority should be there to protect the players from this kind of situation... (specifically on public servers)
That's not possible. Anyone can run a public server. All that the Minetest devs could do is set a policy about how you're allowed to run servers listed on the server list, but that would require presenting this policy any time you start the server and wouldn't be easy to enforce.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

onpon4 wrote:
Minetestforfun wrote:And i think, a higher authority should be there to protect the players from this kind of situation... (specifically on public servers)
That's not possible. Anyone can run a public server. All that the Minetest devs could do is set a policy about how you're allowed to run servers listed on the server list, but that would require presenting this policy any time you start the server and wouldn't be easy to enforce.
I'll prove you wrong: most Cube 2 games (like Sauerbraten, Tesseract or Red Eclipse) include an auth system which allows players to claim master or admin on any server (public-private key authentication), as long as it appears in the public server list.

The server can remove the code that allows such a thing, but then it'll be banned from the server list. The servers on the list also have to obey many guidelines (no gameplay-modyfing mods and such, or a whole guidelines.txt file).

You may think this is an evil backdoor, but it's widely accepted in the Cube 2 community. If such a thing ever gets added to Minetest, it should be opt-in.

Try to stay away from the most populated servers from now, they're full of mobile clients and immature players. ;)

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Post

I didn't know games based on cube 2 had this system in place. In my opinion, it's a good example to follow

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Minetestforfun wrote:BUT, if admins exaggerate of they powers and punish players without any reasons, i think it's very bad for the minetest community ! And i think, a higher authority should be there to protect the players from this kind of situation... (specifically on public servers)
Read your sentence again and thing about it. There are admins on a server equipped with special powers to prevent normal players to behave wrong. Now when those admins abuse their status you want an über-admin that has even more powers to abuse and you hope that those will prevent normal admins to behave wrong.
If I ever find the motivation to set up a public server it will be without any admins or moderators.
And I think it is worth the effort to write some mods that remove the need for them.

KLK

by KLK » Post

Thanks everybody for your comments. i think this is wrong what that guy is doing. I'm not that much concerned about what happened to me, but others players. I think there should be people behind the scene who watch how the admins are doing their things. My information is not concrete, but i heard this guy who banned me, also had ban 16 people in the last five days. This got me very concerned, what do you guys think?

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

well if the guy is banning without reason there then notify the server owner and tell him that an admin is out of control and what the abusive admin has done that you know of.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Casimir wrote:
Minetestforfun wrote:BUT, if admins exaggerate of they powers and punish players without any reasons, i think it's very bad for the minetest community ! And i think, a higher authority should be there to protect the players from this kind of situation... (specifically on public servers)
Read your sentence again and thing about it. There are admins on a server equipped with special powers to prevent normal players to behave wrong. Now when those admins abuse their status you want an über-admin that has even more powers to abuse and you hope that those will prevent normal admins to behave wrong.
If I ever find the motivation to set up a public server it will be without any admins or moderators.
And I think it is worth the effort to write some mods that remove the need for them.
Voteban, votemute, voteprivs, votekick....

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Jordach wrote:
Casimir wrote:
Voteban, votemute, voteprivs, votekick....
Voting is a potential solution, but people could bring clones in order to vote. You may have to allow only 1 vote per IP to impede that.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Calinou wrote:
Jordach wrote: Voteban, votemute, voteprivs, votekick....
Voting is a potential solution, but people could bring clones in order to vote. You may have to allow only 1 vote per IP to impede that.
Maybe you could combine mods to automate moderating and voting together. eg. if a "moderator mod" detects that a player is griefing, it would go up for vote.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Jordach wrote:Voteban, votemute, voteprivs, votekick....
Or more general.

Code: Select all

/vote "/time 6000"
Casimir wants to execute "/time 6000". Current result of voting is 1/14. White either "/vote accept" or "/vote deny" to vote.
Calinou wrote:but people could bring clones in order to vote.
You could have some kind of consensus. With 1. some proportion of all player have to accept 2. no one disagrees (except the one getting banned).

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

KLK wrote:One day i was playing minetest with one of my friends. In the chat my friend called someone crybaby. At reading this, one of the admin killed my friend, destroy his house, and killed me, i was shocked, i asked him why he had to kill me too, his response was " you was in my way" minutes later he ban my friend account and mines too.
KLK, you forgot to mention that your friends were swearing in server and harassing the girl so a decision was made that players like that should not be on the server since children play there also... Part of the ban is that their builds are removed so other players can use that area...

KLK

by KLK » Post

Tenplus you forgot that i also was banned and i didn't have anything to do with it. Also my friend wasn't swearing and the guy who banned us titanius harass more Tiko than he did to the girl.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Removing admins alltogether, voting, consensus, technical solutions - all that may be part of it but isn't the definite, finite solution to all problems in the world. Some of these things may create even more problems on Minetest servers.

Regarding this particular server and incident, it might not even have been malice or anything like that. Even on a normal server, with good tools available to the moderators/admins (especially rollback_check and logs), there is room for error. Xanandu does not offer these tools. Thus, a moderator/admin confronted with 20 or more kindergarden-children killing each other at spawn, jumping about with nothing but tiny names above them, some random lag thrown in, never having consulted with other admins, may get confused easily and make errors. Besides, maintaining a server - either as mod or admin - is a learning process. There are servers out there with more experienced admins. Though those did (and do), in their time, learn as well. Perhaps you ought to talk to TenPlus1, who's a moderator at the Xanandu server, and who may forward your problem and thus help the mod/admin in question learn a bit more.

Please take a look at more than one server and select one you're comftable with. Servers and the rules and priorities their admins employ may differ a lot. If you're looking for a server that is very stable and friendly to builders, take a look at linuxgaming.us, one of VanessaEs servers, the KingArthur server or Redcrabs server. They have been around a while, care about protecting buildings, usually have more than one moderator and have moderators who share their experience with others. Which in turn implies that players are expected to at least try to behave well on these servers.
A list of my mods can be found here.

KLK

by KLK » Post

I'm totally agree with you Sokomine. Is ok for admin sometimes to ban people because they are inexperience, but the problem is why he had to involve other people and start harassing the players, they should be the example.