[Mod] Snow and wool for stairs etc [moresnow]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

[Mod] Snow and wool for stairs etc [moresnow]

by Sokomine » Post

Note: Falling snowballs may trigger a cascade if dropped right next to a field of snow-covered wheat (as found in mg_villages). Falling nodes crush what is below - even if they should not. Therefore, I do not recommend moresnow on servers. Better use it in your singleplayer worlds.

Ever got annoyed by that snow levitating halfway in the air above a stair or a slab? Ever wanted to get your roof covered with snow? Or just wanted to place some kind of cushin (wool) on your benches (stairs)? Or just want to play with a snow cannon (auto-shooting)? Then moresnow might be something for you. It is not a perfect solution, but it is a huge improvement.

Snow will adjust its shape to the following nodes below: stairs, slabs and fences. With moreblocks installed, it'll adjust to the corner stairs (inner and outer), the panel and the microblock as well. Homedecor comes with 3d roof nodes - all three types of them are supported (minus the raillike flat one). Technic's CNC machine creates slopes and fitting inner and outer edges which are the same shape as those homedecor roofs - and which are also supported (sometimes people use them for smooth grass hills). The cottages roof nodes are treated like stairs.

There's also a nice autumn leaves texture provided by LazyJ. He had the idea for those leaves as well. They adapt to all the shapes listed above.

Wool of all selected colors (configurable) can also adjust its shape to some of the nodes below. Some shapes are excluded (homedecor and technic) because you'd seldom need those forms with wool. Instead, the wool shapes are slightly adjusted in order to create nice covers/"cushions" for stairs. Never again need you sit on a hard stone stair!

If no detailled snow shape is available, it will default to a thin cover on the floor. This is pretty useful for carpets as well. Important: You still can't have two nodes in one place. The carpet only works if you put nothing else on the table or above the chair!

Fence nodes get a tiny extra cup of snow on their fence posts.

The roof nodes (not the raillike shingles) from homedecor get their own cover for each shape as well. These shapes fit to some nodes from the CNC machine from technic as well (they're called "slopes" there). Wool does not support this particular shape since it does not seem useful there.

Several shapes of stairs and moreblocks nodes are supported. Wool/carpets have a slightly diffrent shape than snow. The wood below is only a sample. It works with all those shapes. Plus, with the carpets, you can remove the stair node as soon as the carpet has adjusted its shape.

You can see some sample furniture items which can be built with the carpets.

It may not be easy to get enough snow in your target area, so this mod here comes with a snow cannon.
Feed the machine with either water buckes or ice blocks. Click on one of the programs offered to start the machine. It will consume the water and/or ice and return empty buckets for your full ones. The program "ordered" will cover a 9x9 area around the snow cannon with snow. "random" will place snow randomly on nodes in that 9x9 area. Beware of "crazy shooting"! In that mode, the snow cannon will *really* shoot snowballs around. They can fly a very long way.

The receipe for the snow cannon is pretty expensive. Once the machine has done its job and covered the area in snow, better pick it up and place it at the next location that needs snow.

As for the wool layers,, just place one wool in your crafting grid in order to get 9 layers. You can also craft 9 of them back into one wool block of the corresponding color. The receipes are similar to those of snoball/snowblock.

The autumn leaves (as full blocks) can be crafted directly from leaves. The torch acts as a katalysator and is returned.

Winter leaves are made out of autumn leaves with the help of some snow (which is returned). Those blocks are only decorative for winter times.

Fallen leaves are created from autumn leaves. They can be placed on top of stairs and the like - just like the snow covers or wool covers/carpets.

Download: https://github.com/Sokomine/moresnow/archive/master.zip
Browse code: https://github.com/Sokomine/moresnow
Version: 1.0
Changelog: 03.12.16 Made adjustments for changes in engine and minetest_game. Improved/added receipes. Re-Added screenshots to this thread.
Licence: GPLv3
License for textures: only one provided; need to ask LazyJ about that one
Depends on: default
Supports: stairs from default * moreblocks * homedecor * technic
Last edited by Sokomine on Fri Jul 06, 2018 19:10, edited 9 times in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Mod] Snow and wool for stairs etc [moresnow]

by Krock » Post

Wooo :)
I waited for this snow machine!
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It really seems as if hardly anybody ever takes a look at mods that do not have screenshots :-( I've added a bunch of them now which show what the mod is good for. Here are two more pictures that didn't fit in there:
A house with the roof and plants in the garden covered by moresnow.

Simple bed. You can use any wool color you like.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Oh, cool. I suppose I looked over this mod. It actually is really awesome. Nice work Sokomine.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

The screenshots are beautiful, i love that biome border and the North European architecture.

fooljap
In-game: fooljap

by fooljap » Post

I was impressed most using this MOD. This MOD is really splendid structure. I remained naturally and remodeled it without permission. Please use it if good.

http://ux.getuploader.com/minetest_mod_ ... resnow.zip

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

fooljap wrote: I remained naturally and remodeled it without permission. Please use it if good.
That's no problem. I released it under GPLv3, and you don't have to ask for permission for modifications as long as you provide the source code :-)
fooljap wrote: http://ux.getuploader.com/minetest_mod_ ... resnow.zip
I can't find the download link there :-( Can you please use forum attachment? Or provide a more direct download link?

Rui

[DELETED]

by Rui » Post

[DELETED]
Last edited by Rui on Fri Nov 04, 2016 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

fooljap
In-game: fooljap

by fooljap » Post

I can't find the download link there :-( Can you please use forum attachment? Or provide a more direct download link?
How about in this?
http://download2.getuploader.com/g/5575 ... resnow.zip
but
However, probably, as for this link which can download a file directly, there is a limit at time if I think.

When you push the button decorated ”ダウンロード” , you should be able to download ZIP.
I am sorry using Japanese uploader.

And I want you to improve the leaf which I added in the same way as your autumnleaves if good.
Furthermore, these trees grow naturally in worldgenV6, and why don't you remodel it to grow up if I plant a sapling?
Unfortunately there is not a technique because I am a fool. By all means thanking you in advance.

I cause you a nuisance by machine translation

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Yay,
Another thing from snow + wool!
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

when the snow mod is enabled the snow wont cover stuff, plz fix

mgl
GitHub: mgl512

by mgl » Post

Diamond knight wrote:when the snow mod is enabled the snow wont cover stuff, plz fix
From what I remember, snow and moresnow overwrite the same nodes and moresnow should prevail. Adding a soft dependency to snow in moresnow's 'depends.txt' (= add the line "snow?") should solve this.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This is one of those mods that, despite its simplicity, adds a new level of depth to Minetest.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

*bumpity bump*

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Idea: throwable snow balls! (like in snowdrift)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

benrob0329 wrote: Idea: throwable snow balls! (like in snowdrift)
Those exist already. You can pick up snow (even inside a village) and throw the snowball. It's even possible to craft a snow cannon that will shoot snowballs and cover the area around in snow.

Sadly, the images in this thread disappeared *again*. Free image hosters don't last long :-( That's one of the reasons I put up the documentation for mg_villages up on Github. I hope those at least survive.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Updated to version 1.0. Added screenshots again (I really hope they'll last now and not disappear again!)

Changes to the engine and minetest_game required some adjustments so that the mod works again with most recent versions. Meshes are now handled like unkown nodeboxes instead of not at all. Fences work again.

The height of the snow has been adjusted to that in minetest_game. If you want to change that to the older 2/16, just edit moresnow/snow_cover_nodes.lua and set moresnow.snow_ground_height = 2/16;

Kibbie
IRC: Kibbie
In-game: Kibbie IOKA

by Kibbie » Post

This is an awesome mod, and just what I was looking for! Thanks so much for all your hard work, Sokomine! :D

u19503

by u19503 » Post

This looks like an amazing mod

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Expienced a fatal crash in a server environment with this mod today... not sure why exactly, had two players placing snow for christmas around their homes and they triggered it twice.

Here is the stack.

Code: Select all

2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback luaentity_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback node_on_construct(): ...netest/mods/lib_additions/moresnow/snow_on_construct.lua:189: attempt to call
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]: global 'spawn_falling_node' (a nil value)
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       ...netest/mods/lib_additions/moresnow/snow_on_construct.lua:189: in function 'on_construct_select_shape'
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       ...netest/mods/lib_additions/moresnow/snow_on_construct.lua:210: in function 'on_construct'
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       ...netest/mods/lib_additions/moresnow/snow_on_construct.lua:37: in function <...netest/mods/lib_additions/moresnow/snow_on_construct.lua:31>
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'add_node'
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       /usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/falling.lua:114: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/falling.lua:53>
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'add_node'
2019-11-29 19:54:47: ERROR[Main]:       /usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/falling.lua:114: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/falling.lua:53>
I couldn't get any additional information from the players about where the snow was being placed specifically.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Teen_Miner
GitHub: LapisWolf
IRC: LapisWolf
In-game: LapisWolf

by Teen_Miner » Post

I keep getting this:

ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/nissiel/.minetest/mods/villages_modpack/moresnow/init.lua:
Unknown node: moresnow:snow_panel_top
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'get_content_id'
...est/mods/villages_modpack/moresnow/snow_on_construct.lua:15: in function 'build_translation_table'
...issiel/.minetest/mods/villages_modpack/moresnow/init.lua:29: in main chunk
Check debug.txt for details.
cdb_yuId0gpEgnYo

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I'm running into the same problem. Is this mod still active?
cdb_894a100ddd76