[Mod] Ethereal [1.16] [ethereal]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [0.1.0] [ethereal]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Sokomine wrote: TenPlus1 just shrugged when I asked for rollback, and the server owner seems not to be able to do that either due to lack of knowledge.
I've mentioned a few times already that rollback has been disabled on the server to keep the speed up and lag at a minimum... Also, any buildings built on server relies on you to protect so griefers dont have a chance of breaking or stealing anything...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: I'm not certain which mobs belong to which mod,
On Xanandu, it's a variant of PilzAdams simple mobs (or at least based on that concept). In general, you can tell by locating a sheep and trying to get its wool: If right-clicking works, it's simple mobs or a mod based on that. If punching lets the sheep drop wool, protest loudly and run away: BlockMens mobs. If you need sheers to get the wool, it's Sapiers mobf/animals modpack, and you can start breeding them.
Kilarin wrote: I haven't tested it, but I thought TenPlus1 told me that furnaces in Xanadu are protected by the protection mod and can only be used by people on the list when they are in a protected area.
Ah, that's good. Minetest_next also introduced that. Good to have it in Ethereal!
Kilarin wrote: I started with the advantage of building far enough away from the crowd that I didn't have to worry about overlapping regions to begin with.
The trouble is that curious visitors (like myshelf :-)) may not be aware of buildings so far out or shy away from walking long distances to a promised good building if the builder is not known in advance to be so good that the sight will warrant the long walk.
Kilarin wrote: Anyway, protectors aren't perfect, but they are relatively easy to use and are working for me right now.
That's right. They're very easy to use. It just gets complicated once you want to protect more than a 10x10 area far enough away from everybody else.
TenPlus1 wrote: I've mentioned a few times already that rollback has been disabled on the server to keep the speed up and lag at a minimum... Also, any buildings built on server relies on you to protect so griefers dont have a chance of breaking or stealing anything...
Yes, you mentioned that. Still, my requirements are other ones...rollback and backups are extremly important to me.

Now a bit back to topic: Last time I tried Ethereal, I ended up in an extremly dense forrest of reddish trees (against which moretrees would seem tiny). That biome wasn't the optimal one to get started in.

Perhaps...with all these new biomes added...it would be better to spread the biomes out a bit so that there's more space for each one? The original biomes (fire, ice, mushrooms, ..) now seem to have gotten a bit rare. The mapgen now got so extensive it might fill two maps :-) Perhaps biomes might show up depending on the area of map they're in...i.e. a larger placeholder biome might become a cold one in the "north" (where x gets larger), while the same biome might become a firey one in the south, and one with rich plants in the east or west.
A list of my mods can be found here.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The new Ethereal 1.07 mod has a new mapgen added with a setting in init.lua to switch to it for use... It lets you test the new layered mapgen which is a little more spread out and retains the same biomes...

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Sokomine wrote:It just gets complicated once you want to protect more than a 10x10 area far enough away from everybody else.
The areas mod, especially with your gui addon, looks really useful.
Sokomine wrote:The trouble is that curious visitors (like myshelf :-)) may not be aware of buildings so far out or shy away from walking long distances to a promised good building if the builder is not known in advance to be so good that the sight will warrant the long walk.
True. But since some folks have built further out, it means that when you go exploring you keep being surprised by amazing things! :)

The shared bookmarks in compassgps were supposed to help people on multi-player share interesting locations with each other. But that didn't end up attracting any attention from any server admins. Perhaps we need more people who have been exploring xanadu posting the coords of interesting locations on this thread.
Sokomine wrote:The original biomes (fire, ice, mushrooms, ..) now seem to have gotten a bit rare.
I don't have any trouble finding them. But then, I don't mind exploring. Crystal boots are wonderful for wandering around. And it seems like you see something new and amazing over every hill and around each corner in Xanadu!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: True. But since some folks have built further out, it means that when you go exploring you keep being surprised by amazing things! :)
I'd be glad if you could point me to some of those good buildings!
Kilarin wrote: The shared bookmarks in compassgps were supposed to help people on multi-player share interesting locations with each other. But that didn't end up attracting any attention from any server admins. Perhaps we need more people who have been exploring xanadu posting the coords of interesting locations on this thread.
It's at least installed on the Mineguild server. Other teleporter mods (i.e. my travelnet) serve the same purpose.
Kilarin wrote: I don't have any trouble finding them. But then, I don't mind exploring. Crystal boots are wonderful for wandering around. And it seems like you see something new and amazing over every hill and around each corner in Xanadu!
Well, if that isn't praise for a mod, I don't know what else might be :-) And yes, I think Ethereal deserves the praise.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

So, I was asked for chests...
Help yourselves:
More Chests
Keyset Chest
Closed by key
The three had I mentioned - the three there are ^_^

Also, updated @github! (finally...)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks for the udpate 4aiman... also, the sharedand wifi chest in more_chests looks very handy, will add those to Xanadu server...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I've just finished creating and putting together Ethereal textures for the John Smith texture pack... Hope you like 'em... also, a big thanks to all at https://www.johnsmithlegacy.co.uk/ for the pack itself...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5383&p=152389#p152389

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Is there a way that you could add support for the following mods:
moretrees
plantlife_modpack
sea_modpack
The end result could be very pleasing to look at.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Add support to Ethereal for those mods ? or add JohnSmith textures for those mods ?

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Ethereal is what I meant.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Sealife should work already since it only uses sand/dirt under the water to work, although Ethereal already had underwater sealife which is similar... As for moretrees and plantlife, those require default:dirt_with_grass to work properly and Ethereal uses it's own dirt nodes so they would have to add compatibility for Ethereal... General sand plants and tree/leaf plantlife should still work though...

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Someone please fix the title. It is Ethereal 1.07, not 0.1.0 …
People may think that Ethereal is far from finished, which is not true.

IMO the maintainer of the mod should be allowed to edit the opening post now.
In case this is not possible, I suggest to open a new thread so that the title can be properly edited. It is confusing as hell otherwise.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

post removed, didn't belong in this thread.

Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [1.07] [ethereal]

by Sokomine » Post

Important point: It's necessary to ensure that the mod/game is run with mapgen v7 in action. I started a new world, didn't remember that fact, and got a v6 world which was very strange (the redwood trees took over the world :-)) and didn't show any of the biomes that are usually found in Ethereal.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Didn't know that... I experienced the very same thing.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Dudes, Ethereal uses mgv7. Why do you expect it to work properly with mgv6 or mgv5 or indev anyway?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

4aiman wrote: Dudes, Ethereal uses mgv7. Why do you expect it to work properly with mgv6 or mgv5 or indev anyway?
I'm aware of that. Yet when I created a new world, I didn't remember selecting v7. And what I got was part of Ethereal - namely the big red trees and some fir(?) trees, but no other biomes. So it's quite important to remember to choose v7, because if you don't, it's not immediately obvious that something went wrong.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Sokomine wrote: I'm aware of that.
I know you knew it.
It was rather for those who will (or just want to) be asking "why isn't it working with other mapgens?".
Inocudom asked questions like this @FM several times, so I told him to go ask Ten to do something (although he probably can't w/o having to abandon mgv7 at all).
And when I got here, he was silent on the matter, but you, guys, were talking about "remembering to select the right mapgen"...

So, I just wanted to underline what you have told.
I mean, it's not an important point but a must.

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [1.09] [ethereal]

by TenPlus1 » Post

DELETE ME
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 17:13, edited 5 times in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Updated!
Thanks for all your hard work, Ten! :)

I've a question: what's up with 2 different mapgens within ethereal?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal currently uses a spead-like mapgen which works well for biomes and I am currently testing a level-like mapgen that is more realistic... You can edit the init.lua file and change the map style to check it out :)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/game ... pdate.133/
This sub-game makes good use of the ethereal mapgen (it is owned and maintained by 4aiman.) Give it a try sometime.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Updated!
Thanks for telling me about the updates all the time, Ten!

Also, ignore my subgame for now. Ethereal there, though being changed a lot, is outdated (it's of version 0.9.something) and updating to the current dev is not planned until this year's November (at least I think that one more month is enough to complete my current work).

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Inocudom wrote: http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/game ... pdate.133/
This sub-game makes good use of the ethereal mapgen (it is owned and maintained by 4aiman.) Give it a try sometime.
It seems to include a pretty old version of the villages from Nore's mg mod. The new mg_villages mod already supports ethereal to a degree - biome borders are preserved, and some materials from ethereal (mushroom, trees) may be used for the actual houses.

Sample village: